Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4JMdEvbmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

vOv posted:

Coil has a better story and visual design than Alex. This is objectively true.

Counterpoint: Alexander has Goblins, and Goblins are the best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A4 has some of the best music in the game and the arena looks loving awesome as well. The pistons in the background pump along with the beat.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Goblins are cool and all but I'm just so completely sick of steampunk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

Goblins are cool and all but I'm just so completely sick of steampunk.

I'm not so alex owns.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
But OBJECTIVELY, GUYS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Objectively, all MMOs are poo poo. :gas: thread

vvv: Same, but that doesn't make alex any less good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I personally prefer Coil and if you disagree that's OK.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

But OBJECTIVELY, GUYS.

Alex has no dragons or jumping puzzles.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Coil is exactly 3.8x cooler than Alexander.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally I prefer Alex's fights to Binding Coil's, although I prefer Turn 5 to Alex 4. BCoB did have some really cool setpieces in turns 1 and 5 though.

(Turns 6 through 13, while also really awesome - I still love the music syncing up for one of the Akh Morns - are of course irrelevant to the current conversation, except insofar as conceptualizing where Alex might go from here.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I personally prefer the Coil aesthetic present in the first five turns, but in terms of execution, I think they really nailed what they were going for in Alexander. Steampunk is hit or miss for me but Alexander has some really nice details and sick beats.

Plus Coil was cool but now we have Allagan ruins loving everywhere and I'm glad Alexander isn't anything like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If the last fight of Alex isn't fighting on top of his head as he slowly stomps towards Idyllshire, the whole thing will be a massive disappointment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

If the last fight of Alex isn't fighting on top of his head as he slowly stomps towards Idyllshire, the whole thing will be a massive disappointment.

While the goblins may be missed Rowena and the scrip vendors will not.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Rowena and the scrip vendors

Don't kid yourself, they'll find some way to escape.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Burger McAngus posted:

Don't kid yourself, they'll find some way to escape.
And make enormous amounts of NPC money in the process.

First Rowena's Toll, soon Rowenashire!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vOv posted:

Can someone explain it to those of us who aren't familiar with the madness that is HW crafting?

To add to what kafziel said - The alternative to paying what was likely hundreds of millions of gil is farming them all yourself with what I assume would be a bunch of alts and is even crazier. The amount of gathering that went into each piece was so much that they nerfed it to a third.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

After Pharos Sirius was a disaster we'll probably never get actually challenging dungeons ever again :(

What makes it a disaster? Do people dislike it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It was a real pain in the dick when it first came out. The first boss had a thing where adds would spawn based on his health, and you had to kill the adds quick or they would put a stacking debuff on people that would insta-kill them, kind of like the jagd dolls in A4. I'm sure you can imagine how hard this would be in the average duty finder group.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Everything but T9 and T12 and 13 were just generic allagan arenas with the same music track that was old after the second caduceus clear.

Final coil was big because it was the grand finale of 2.0 raiding, if you compare Alex to just first coil it's miles ahead. Coils story was poo poo until T9 and I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is the same way

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

It was a real pain in the dick when it first came out. The first boss had a thing where adds would spawn based on his health, and you had to kill the adds quick or they would put a stacking debuff on people that would insta-kill them, kind of like the jagd dolls in A4. I'm sure you can imagine how hard this would be in the average duty finder group.
The Zu's Pullets did a lot of damage for being little squirts that you had to kill, the third boss was actually even more of a chump because it had less health than now (it was a good breather boss) and Siren's pretty much the same. The first two bosses were the main issues of the place.

BattleCake posted:

What makes it a disaster? Do people dislike it?
Enough that people would drop from queue immediately after getting in one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Doublestep posted:

Everything but T9 and T12 and 13 were just generic allagan arenas with the same music track that was old after the second caduceus clear.

Final coil was big because it was the grand finale of 2.0 raiding, if you compare Alex to just first coil it's miles ahead. Coils story was poo poo until T9 and I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is the same way

I think T5 has my favourite boss arena - the petrified claw of bahamut. Plus it has Thunderer as a bgm.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Fister Roboto posted:

Really the real issue was two of the health triggers were really close to each other and the boss had pretty low HP, and the adds wouldn't spawn if he was doing a different ability which meant like 90% of the time you spawned two add waves at once.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mechanically, all the Pharos bosses still have their mechanics. But between nerfs to the actual numbers involved, and power creep on the side of the characters, loving up or ignoring mechanics has largely gone from "welp, we be dead now" to "throw out an AoE healing spell". With the exception of going on an egg killing spree on the second boss, which will typically still gently caress you up.

At the gear levels and the boss damage numbers at the time, for example, loving up the debuff stack mechanics on the first boss was a serious problem that you had to be careful to avoid. And groups typically wouldn't just be able to wipe out the dogs before they could cast their debuff (far from it), which meant an Technically Valid Strategy was - since the dogs spawned based on boss HP - to take the boss himself slowly enough that the debuff from round X of dogs had a chance to wear off before round X+1 spawned.

Needless to say, asking DPS to slow/throttle/control themselves didn't go over any better here than it ever did (see also: Moogle Extreme). So since that Technically Valid Strategy never actually happened in practice, it was more a question of coordinating threat on the fly so no one person got to 3 stacks of the dogs' debuff. This had ... mixed results, and sometimes took a few wipes.

After nerfs and gear upgrades, the much more player-palatable strategies of "kill dogs before they can inflict debuff" and "just heal through it if they do explode" emerged, which we still see today.

(That's not even getting into the fact that the last boss used to be much more of a healer check. Or that trash packs were - and still are - nasty if left alive for too long. As can be seen even now if you get an e-peening alpha tank who pulls goddamn everything, only to be confused when one mob paralyzes everyone and two others use back-to-back big AoEs which the paralyzed healer gets interrupted as they try to cure. People should not be allowed to tank that place until they've had to heal it.)

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
They actually got rid of the big healer check on the final boss, making it's thing much easier to deal with on the healer side as well (now the DoT just goes away immediately when the person gets healed to full, that was not the case in the original version of the boss). That being said a lot of people did beat the dungeon multiple times when it was first released even in DFs so I don't think it was ever that bad, but it was sort of like the original version of Ampador Keep where it was just kind of way harder then equivalent content.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

Shirtless Quickthinx Allthoughts kissing your forehead and injecting you with something before a 1v1 fight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I went into Pharos with two newbie goons the other day, and me and the other guy who were in before never said anything about the mechanics on the first boss. Just "don't worry about it, we'll be fine".

When the yellow cancer thing started its chain reaction, it was glorious. I think it explodes at 3 stacks? Each explosion adds a stack of the debuff to every other player, so it's fairly easy to get into a setup where it's an infinite chain reaction that continues until someone dies. :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Vil posted:

With the exception of going on an egg killing spree on the second boss, which will typically still gently caress you up.

Every time I get Pharos Sirius in my HLDR I try to convince the party to kill all the eggs under the guise of skipping a mechanic

Then I sit back and laugh as the tank gets body slammed repeatedly

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I never saw coil as relevant content and I still want to.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pharos Sirius was a great dungeon and fun and challenging when it came out, but as such there were a few key problems. First, they moved the Amdapor Keep rewards to Pharos, and pretty much everyone by that point had Amdapor Keep gear coming out of their goddamned ears and also knew how to speed through it so goddamned fast they had to do like 5 emergency maintenances to continually fix whatever poo poo we were coming up with to clear it in like 11 minutes. Going from that to something that was actually kind of challenging giving the same rewards was kind of like "why?" I don't remember the tomestones per clear, but it wasn't worth it since you'd be lucky if your dipshit df party was out in 40 minutes, or at all really. Many people didn't even bother unlocking it in the first place so it wouldn't show up in roulette. Additionally, Expert Roulette wasn't a thing yet so there was really just no compelling reason to unlock it.

That combined with everyone being a whiny crybaby about how hard it is meant that XIV's version of that really fun part of Cataclysm where the dungeons were actually kind of hard and required you to know how to play lasted exactly one patch cycle and we'll never see it again. RIP :( :negative:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ignimbrite posted:

Every time I get Pharos Sirius in my HLDR I try to convince the party to kill all the eggs under the guise of skipping a mechanic

Then I sit back and laugh as the tank gets body slammed repeatedly

i liked to kill the eggs as a black mage pre mana wall nerf and would just chase people around and make the Zu splat them

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Every Alex fight is much better than the enrage strategy for Turn 2.

However Alex lacks anything as good as Turn 3.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doublestep posted:

I think T1 and T11 looked really cool.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
T11 is literally the coolest setpiece anywhere in the game, even after 3.0.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Dude looks like a dragon lady.

I think 2nd coil has the best looking gear. Especially where tanks and healers are concerned.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Listening to T12 music while doing A4S makes it a less harrowing experience.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

Listening to T12 music while doing A4S makes it a less harrowing experience.
make sure you have an ACT trigger for a toilet flushing into the Seinfeld theme when you get quarantined

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I can't imagine this will ever happen to me again, but it makes for a cool screenshot:

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 28, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Niton posted:

I can't imagine this will ever happen to me again, but it makes for a cool screenshot:

Those action bars :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fister Roboto posted:

I personally prefer Coil and if you disagree that's OK.

like idk are there people out there who think manipulator is in any way more interesting than a fight with a loving dragon on top of an even bigger dragons outstretched hand

all of alex is designed around this philosophy of 'well people just stare at their bars anyway during these fights so why make any of it interesting to look at'

• Locked thread