Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oh. So the first Carla was not the Dalek one or the snow nanny, those were just a split of her from modern day "real" Clara. Did the other Clara's have childhoods, like we're born, grew up, and then were killed? Or did they just pop into exsistance and got jobs right away?

Im not trying to be a jerk or anything just doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Oh. So the first Carla was not the Dalek one or the snow nanny, those were just a split of her from modern day "real" Clara. Did the other Clara's have childhoods, like we're born, grew up, and then were killed? Or did they just pop into exsistance and got jobs right away?

They all had normal lives, right up until they were in the right place at the right time to make sure the Great Intelligence didn't gently caress up the Doctor and then went on having a normal life.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They all had normal lives, right up until they were in the right place at the right time to make sure the Great Intelligence didn't gently caress up the Doctor and then went on having a normal life.

Except when they died. Which, if I remember The Name of the Doctor correctly, was frequent.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Except when they died. Which, if I remember The Name of the Doctor correctly, was frequent.

Considering that all the duplicates we saw died, it's entirely plausible that all of them died!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Please stop calling her Carla. Her name is Clara.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Rhyno posted:

Please stop calling her Carla. Her name is Clara.

If she can't keep her existences straight I don't see how I can either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

docbeard posted:

I wish he didn't rely on the mythology so much, and I wish everything didn't have to be some massive epic that spans centuries and galaxies

One of the things I loved about the last finale was that the stakes were basically the Master wanting a friend, instead of Daleks making a special bomb which blows up all the universes or whatever. In fact one thing I like about Moffat's tenure in general is that the bad guys are bad guys and not cosmos-conquering ultimate threats of ultimate death- see Davros in Moffat's hands compared to RTD's

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I recently purchased Archives so Lowtax can feed his kids, and I found the thread where the revival is announced (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717262). Here are the suggested Ninth Doctors:

-Chris Barrie
-Richard O'Brien
-Steve Coogan
-Anthony Steward Head
-John Cleese
-Michael Palin
-"The guy who played Arthur Dent"
-David Warner
-Eric Idle
-Mark Gatiss
-Alan Davies

Imagine if we had Mark Gatiss as the Doctor while writing for the show :psyduck:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

I recently purchased Archives so Lowtax can feed his kids, and I found the thread where the revival is announced (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717262). Here are the suggested Ninth Doctors:

-Chris Barrie
-Richard O'Brien
-Steve Coogan
-Anthony Steward Head
-John Cleese
-Michael Palin
-David Warner
-Eric Idle
-Mark Gatiss
-Alan Davies

Imagine if we had Mark Gatiss as the Doctor while writing for the show :psyduck:

To be fair

He'd still be the Doctor to this day

So that'd be different

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

2house2fly posted:

One of the things I loved about the last finale was that the stakes were basically the Master wanting a friend, instead of Daleks making a special bomb which blows up all the universes or whatever. In fact one thing I like about Moffat's tenure in general is that the bad guys are bad guys and not cosmos-conquering ultimate threats of ultimate death- see Davros in Moffat's hands compared to RTD's

Yes, the Master wanted a friend. She also created an army of billions of Cybermen out of corpses by capturing the minds of everyone who ever died on Earth.

Moffat's other plots have involved a nefarious group blowing up the TARDIS and ending the universe, the collapse of all space-time into one unstable mess, the stars winking out because every Doctor was killed at every point in history so every bad thing he ever stopped happened simultaneously, and a millenium-long battle in which the Doctor kills thousands. The Earth has also been threatened with conquest or complete destruction on numerous occasions in his stories, including his very first one. He also turned the Statue of Liberty into a giant weeping angel.

So I'd counter that Moffat loves big ultimate stupid death things, even if RTD might love them even more.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

To be fair

He'd still be the Doctor to this day

So that'd be different

The Day of the Doctor would've been awkward.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

All I'm picturing now is the cricketer. A doctor with a sonic Crown Larger who goes round punching people in the head

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

-Chris Barrie
-Richard O'Brien
-Steve Coogan
-Anthony Steward Head
-John Cleese
-Michael Palin
-David Warner
-Eric Idle
-Mark Gatiss
-Alan Davies

Please link to the poster who suggest Steve Coogan so I can book my flight and punch them in their goddamned face.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anthony Stewart Head, the singing Doctor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
why are there so many monty python guys on that list

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Acne Rain posted:

why are there so many monty python guys on that list

You know why. Nerds love to cross-pollinate everything they watch into a giant hodgepodge of "geek culture." That's why "crossover" t-shirts are in right now.

By "crossover," I mean something incredibly lazy like putting a DeLorean and the TARDIS next to one another and charging ten bucks for the tee.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Honestly, I'd love to see Alan Partridge as the Doctor. Produced by BBC Norwich, of course.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For a minute I was convinced we'd see dozens of Kaleds punching their way out of Dalek shells.

Same. Or Davros regenerated into Julian Bleach without makeup, ranting about the Kaled Master Race taking over. It actually seemed though, that Moffat went out of his way to avoid using the words "Thal" or "Kaled" in these episodes. Even to the point of having young Davros ask "Are you The Enemy?" not "Are you a Thal?" I think the story of Davros' twisted love for his "children" and his being responsible for their killing billions has been played out, but they never touch on him betraying his own people and that could be explored more.

Good stuff though:
-Missy being Missy
-Putting Oswald in a Dalek (again)
-Davros going all Borg Queen on the floor
-Davros going all Darth Anakin (wait, you mean his eyes have just been closed this whole time?!)
-T Bakes/Hartnell cameos! :swoon:

Hamfisted stuff:
-Wait, you mean his eyes have just been closed this whole time?! Clearly a poor attempt at retconning the makeup job on Davros' face after all these years and trying to explain why his eyes were just shut and painted black
-MIssy "learning" from the Doctor how he is always able to cheat certain death by being optimistic. Because it's not like the Master has ever cheated certain death :what:
-The "how Daleks talk" scene, while funny, was a hamfisted attempt to retcon why Daleks just shout "Exterminate' and a few other catchphrases all the time. Really Moffat, that was what you were worried about explaining, not delving more into Davros' past as a Kaled?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CobiWann posted:

But if the Doctor knew it was a trap, he had a plan to get out of it...so why would he act like this was the end especially if he had the "I'm going to regenerate the sewers" plan? Unless he absolutely believed this was the end, but I never got that sense from his actions or the dialogue.

Maybe he didn't think he'd die, he just sent the thing to the Master to see if she'd show up on his terms rather than waiting for her next big scheme. He wasn't trying to fool us, he was trying to fool her. Keep her busy figuring out the puzzle and she doesn't get bored and kill (many) people.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just finished watching the latest episode.

As a NuWho guy, I've liked Davros appearances because it seems like he understands The Doctor in a way almost nobody else in show canon does, and uses that against him. His first appearance was basically to say the same thing Danny would later notice: that people sure seem to sacrifice themselves for The Doctor a whole lot, and he never truly saves everyone; there's just the people he wants to save and then there's 'acceptable losses.' And while it wasn't intentionally written as such, the "show her your true self" line neatly fits in with his denial over the War Doctor.

This time, its really clear even to newer viewers to me what purpose Davros has on this show: he's the embodiment of despair and cynicism, that is the anti-matter to The Doctor's hope and optimism. They are both caught in a Cold War of sorts; ideologically opposed to each other, and both are helpless that their loved ones seem conditioned to fight to the last to kill each other.

Which is why telling a guy leading a race that knows no bounds to it's desire for war that you also have rediscovered your home planet of the only ones capable of burning the universe to stop them is kind of a bad idea. Thought that the Doc was reigniting the Time War there.

I was hoping at the end either the Daleks or preferably Davros himself would get an all new physical appearance that wasn't influenced by the ancient bad old days of the BBC props department; instead of the same bad guys simply buying themselves another future appearance as they have and always been. Kind of the worst possible outcome, but at the same time I did like The Master just being left to the wolves instead of being explicitly shown killed yet again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been thinking lately whether it's possible Moffat is staying on at least partly because the BBC don't have confidence in anyone else and will try to finish the show if he leaves? I'm pretty sure somebody mentions several threads ago that this was mooted when RTD and Tennant both announced they were going to step down, and Davies had to persuade them to let it continue with Moffat as showrunner. Was that true?

I don't even think it's that. I think with everything going down with the Tories trying ever so hard to dismantle the BBC with all the furor of post "Death on the Rock" Thatcher (I know, that was Thames, work with me here) that then having Moffat stay on for as long as he has is a case of 'better the devil you know' in regards to the one thing the BBC knows will make them money that's not called Top Gear.

Sure Moffat has his detractors but, largely speaking, you know what he'll do with Doctor Who.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 28, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Craptacular! posted:

I was hoping at the end either the Daleks or preferably Davros himself would get an all new physical appearance that wasn't influenced by the ancient bad old days of the BBC props department;

I dunno, I think Davros' design is pretty much perfect for him. He looks really old, but in a way that looks nicely alien without either of those two elements overpowering the other. And maybe it was the weakness of the props department that led to that, sure, but what we've got now is exactly what it should be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Craptacular! posted:

I was hoping at the end either the Daleks or preferably Davros himself would get an all new physical appearance that wasn't influenced by the ancient bad old days of the BBC props department;

Good idea. Let's chuck that stupid blue box in the trash too while we're at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually like how committed they are to the sheer 60s-ness of the Daleks and Skaro.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Creature posted:

Honestly, I'd love to see Alan Partridge as the Doctor. Produced by BBC Norwich, of course.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah imagine some actor known for swearing a lot playing the doctor

wouldnt that be wacky

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

A Deus Ex Machina is something that literally comes out of nowhere. We know regeneration energy is powerful and can be transferred in some circumstances. We know there are decomposing Dalek mutants in the sewers. There is foreshadowing.

Tardis disintegration and reformation abilities - out of nowhere.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Big Finish is having a Davros sale, it seems. I guess I'll be finally picking up I, Davros, then, but are any of the newer releases worth getting? Can anybody recommend Daleks Among Us or The Curse of Davros?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Enourmo posted:

yeah imagine some actor known for swearing a lot playing the doctor

wouldnt that be wacky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgA3Mttx1M

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rhyno posted:

Good idea. Let's chuck that stupid blue box in the trash too while we're at it.

Daleks and the TARDIS are too marketable for serious changes, though it's never stopped them from trying with things like Heavy Weapons Dalek.

Davros started this thing as a child actor, so if he became someone who looked like they could convincingly be the adult version of that child rather than a Power Rangers overlord it really wouldn't gently caress up much in the grand scheme of things.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I think you're watching the wrong show if you expect them to seriously change an iconic villain who's been around since the 70s.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Beens posted:

Tardis disintegration and reformation abilities - out of nowhere.

But enough about Frontios

In all seriousness, the HADS has been a part of Doctor Who since the mid-60s, and referenced/been part of a story as recently as season 7.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
If The Master wasn't made into a woman, Moffat wouldn't use her. Now that she IS a woman, she is incredibly powerful, almost to a comical extent.

Also, the progression of Master actors has gone much like the villains of the Batman movies from 1989.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 28, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Craptacular! posted:

I was hoping at the end either the Daleks or preferably Davros himself would get an all new physical appearance that wasn't influenced by the ancient bad old days of the BBC props department; instead of the same bad guys simply buying themselves another future appearance as they have and always been. Kind of the worst possible outcome, but at the same time I did like The Master just being left to the wolves instead of being explicitly shown killed yet again.

Davros's costume is great

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Davros's costume is great

The last time they tried upgrading his costume, Davros became a white-and-gold candy dispenser.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Forktoss posted:

Big Finish is having a Davros sale, it seems. I guess I'll be finally picking up I, Davros, then, but are any of the newer releases worth getting? Can anybody recommend Daleks Among Us or The Curse of Davros?

The Curse of Davros is pretty fun; the main attraction of it being that (spoilered just in case, but it's the main idea of the episode) the Doctor and Davros switch bodies. Colin Baker and Terry Molloy get a chance to stretch their acting muscles, and it does a good job of treating its ideas seriously. Daleks Among Us is the conclusion to a trilogy and also the weakest part of it. I couldn't really recommend it, unless maybe you're REALLY invested in the mystery they set up in the first two stories (both of which are really good).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The last time they tried upgrading his costume, Davros became a white-and-gold candy dispenser.

That was more for the fake-out where you think that the little girl is actually Davros and the factions are the opposite way round to the way you think they are as it was for anything else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kikka posted:

If The Master wasn't made into a woman, Moffat wouldn't use her. Now that she IS a woman, she is incredibly powerful, almost to a comical extent.

I'm being cynical but I get the feeling he did that as an excuse to use the River Song playbook again.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 28, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I did like it better, and it's full of amazing moments, but watching it a second time it's pretty eh knowing that both the Doctor and Davros are entirely acting at each other and nothing we're seeing is real for a substantial portion of the episode. (Although I do choose to believe Davros' sentiments about the Time Lords returning were genuine)

I really hope the prophecy is fake. I loving hate prophecies as narrative devices more and more each year. Although if it turns out the Doctor created the prophecy to fake out the Daleks as part of some master scheme that's gonna be annoying too, this episode kinda hit my Doctor Scheme Limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was more for the fake-out where you think that the little girl is actually Davros and the factions are the opposite way round to the way you think they are as it was for anything else.

But it has the worst Davros makeup in the entire series – phone cords and a Hefty bag.

• Locked thread