Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just now listening to the Mantic North America podcast from last week, the first 45 minutes are Ronnie talking about Warpath. Really interesting.

http://manticblog.com/2015/09/21/mantic-north-america-ep-6-i-like-the-way-you-work-it-no-yndijity/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm much more interested in hard plastic corporation but asterians is probably the better move for this kickstarter

^^ Ronnie is the best has he leaked any more stuff he's the leakiest dude in the industry

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
One of my favourite Ronnie moments was getting a top secret seminar where we were repeatedly told not to talk about it in public. Then I did an interview with him for goons and he immediately blabs it all.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If any of you Undead players has one of the skelly dogs laying around, PM me.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

thegodofchuck posted:

It was suggested to use the D&D Miniature "Caller in Darkness" for the currently mini-less Well of Souls, which I thought was a great start, but it looked awfully scrawny by itself, so I made something a bit more... soulful.

This is three Callers, removed from their bases and combined.

This was more proof of concept rather than finished, I still need to figure out how I want to base it and blend it together at the bottom. I'm thinking maybe some greenstuff tortured soul tendrils, not quite sure. Something involving minimal painting so my awful skills don't detract from it.

If anyone is curious, this is how it turned out:

I used Agrellan Earth in the area the Well of Souls has crossed over and is close to to represent it leeching the life from even plants and the earth, and just a little bit of greenery on the edge that is just out of its immediate range. I was going to use some Lustrian Undergrowth, but the brand new pot I bought was completely dried out, shockingly. There is also a Skellie bit that was absorbed, my Chestnut Ink turned it a very gory sort of red, which looks raw and fresh, which is a bit over the top, and not my original intention, but I kind of like it in an 80s horror flick sort of way. I also tried to do a little drybrushing near the bottom with some Rhulic Gold to be some lifeleeching magicky stuff. Not awesome or anything but looks better than plain black imo.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Apparently Alessio is currently working on a My Little Pony themed army for KoW...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Daedleh posted:

Apparently Alessio is currently working on a My Little Pony themed army for KoW...

Backing of Warpath cancelled.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Has anyone played Mars Attacks and is it any good? I love the Mars Attacks franchise and I'm tempted to grab it for a pretty self-contained tabletop game to play with a friend or two.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Daedleh posted:

That seems redundant. Just model a Nature army with little technicolor horses.

Also, re: the lore discussion last page or two: One of the three books in the KS is a lore book, so that should fill out the setting more!

I'm definitely hoping Asterians are next in the KS; I really like their designs and would love to get them in hard plastic. GCPS are neat, but I don't really need them. Not that I'll be getting every faction anyway, especially in the KS.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Daedleh posted:

This needs some elaboration.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

It's in the latest counter-charge podcast (their website seems to have been hit with malware at the moment..). It's a forces of nature army built with MLP models.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Daedleh posted:

It's in the latest counter-charge podcast (their website seems to have been hit with malware at the moment..). It's a forces of nature army built with MLP models.

Well that's stupid, good job alessio

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Daedleh posted:

How much did Scarletsquig bribe him?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Next faction for Warpath announced:

Yesssssssssssss

Look at themmmm

They're like elfy Tau.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 28, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oh gently caress yes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Have we seen any examples of Asterian vehicles?

Their infantry-sized models leave me a little cold but if their vehicles get real weird with it (Protoss-like, in a sense) I think I'd be interested in them.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

There's concept art for one somewhere in this thread. It did give me a vaguely Protoss vibe!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Slimnoid posted:

Have we seen any examples of Asterian vehicles?

Their infantry-sized models leave me a little cold but if their vehicles get real weird with it (Protoss-like, in a sense) I think I'd be interested in them.

They've said multiple times that they'd really like the KS to do well enough to get the vehicle seen crashed in this concept art, it looks pretty Protossy:

The others that they've included so far I believe are also from DZ:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That update also showed off all five Kalyshi sculpts. They look GREAT.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Drone posted:

They've said multiple times that they'd really like the KS to do well enough to get the vehicle seen crashed in this concept art, it looks pretty Protossy:

The others that they've included so far I believe are also from DZ:

Huh, neat. I'm digging the vehicle art, even if I have to squint to see it.

That flying board looks doofy though. Nothing a little remodeling can't fix, I suppose.

I am really liking this render though, it's got a suitably alien look to it. I'm a sucker for single-eyed robot heads ala Grey Fox.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

They're like elfy Tau.

Oh hello there, first Asterian unit to grab my full attention. What's this then?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah, those new droids are absolutely fantastic looking. For me, the heads harken back to both Shockwave and several 2007 Movie Toyline Transformers. That's very much a good thing.

But what colors to paint them!?

EDIT: RBH, those are Kalyshi. They were in the DZI KS, made of metal. They're basically your space wood elf equivalent, fighting with melee weapons and bows that're actually very high tech--energy fields and the like. They look very nice IMO.

EDIT2 Basically the Kalyshi take the Asterian Balance thing in a more down-to-the-woods and agressive direction. Feeling that their race is too dependent on technology, they live and fight more like their ancestors, albeit with high tech incorporated into their stuff. That's what I remember from DZI, anyway. They're neat and the minis look GREAT.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Oh hello there, first Asterian unit to grab my full attention. What's this then?

quote:

To the Kalyshi balance is the key element to existence; if there is calm, elsewhere there must be fury, where life exists there must also be death. The Kalyshi have seen the restrained approach their kin have taken to the human race and rejected it. The Kalyshi recognise the Asterian predilection for peace, and concluded that it is they who must be the war to achieve the universal balance.

A Kalyshi war band is a sight to behold. A colourful anachronism in an age of sterile mass production. Each Kalyshi warrior wears armour they alone have harvested or hunted. Millennia of knowledge allow them to cure hides to be tougher than aramid fibre and flexible as leather. They carry long-hafted blades of supernaturally sharp wood, and tall composite bows. These deceptively anachronistic weapons are powered by an internal energy supply similar to Noh technology, impelling their blades and arrows to pierce armour as well as any Corporation weapon. They cover their pale bodies in whorls of paint, and even perform ritualistic a dance before battle called a Yahkan. Whether the purpose is to frighten the enemy, call on their gods, or reinforce the Kalyshi’s own courage is known only to them.

What is known is once that Yahkan is complete those Kalyshi are coming over the battlefield under a hail of arrows and an ululating war cry.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

It's a great day. This hasn't been posted here yet

quote:

The regional voting for which game system Masters will use for the upcoming season January 2016 through December 2016, culminating in the championship in February 2017 has closed. The decisive winner was Kings of War by a regional vote of 7-1, with the one vote against a very close one within their own region. Although I would have been happy to press forward with whatever game system the Regions came to a consensus on, I most glad that it was such an overwhelming vote for a single system. Keeping this national community of gamers united is good for everybody, providing choice and community for gamers, helping bolster attendance in a time of unprecedented transition for TO's, it's win-win all the way around.

Now that a system has been chosen, the Regions can start talking with their player bases about Regional methods of team selection, as that is decided by each Region internally within the bounds of the Charter. For some Regions like South, little will change about the selection process, but for some it may be a little different so I urge all players to get active in your regional subforums so you stay informed. Remember the names of your regional reps are stickied in this board, they are your first point of contact for questions about selection of regional teams.

Turning to Kings of War itself, while I would have thrown my whole heart and effort behind whatever system the Regions chose, there are some particular upsides to Kings of War and the game company behind it, Mantic Games. Mantic is a very accessible to its fans, and is very interested in and supportive of, a competitive scene for its games. Being openly embraced as competitive gamers by a game company is a great feeling. I have had some very positive conversations with Mantic about developing a mutually beneficial relationship between Masters and Mantic moving forward, and should have some really interesting announcements to make in the near future as we look ahead to Vegas. Now that Masters has officially voted, that process can go forward full speed.

The first of those announcements is that I will be running a small three game Kings of War event at Vegas 2016 on the Friday before Masters. Now that the vote is official, I can give Frontline the details so it can be added to the LVO list of events and will post them here. Mantic leadership will have a strong presence at LVO (and now at Masters), and so my thought was that a small event was a good way to look forward and get a small taste of what KoW might feel like on the Masters level as we all start to look ahead to the 2017 Championship weekend.

Spread the word far and wide folks, and keep an ear out, I will be on a few podcasts talking about this decision and what it means for Masters moving forward.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:toot: Party time in the happening half of Nottingham?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hm. Maybe I'll use Animated Shockwave's blue-grey for my Asterians. Can't do G1 Shockwave, because my Enforcers are already purple and much as I love purple, I'd rather not do more than one faction in the same colors. I dunno. They migh tlook good with something brighter...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I did not think I could get this pumped for space elfs.

And I'm not sure if it's intended as satire, but using drone warfare as an example of elven arrogance is spot on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The close race was between KOW and the Swedish remake/rebalance, right?

ed: I'm a muppet and am incapable of reading on several levels, disregard this post.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 28, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Esser-Z posted:

Hm. Maybe I'll use Animated Shockwave's blue-grey for my Asterians. Can't do G1 Shockwave, because my Enforcers are already purple and much as I love purple, I'd rather not do more than one faction in the same colors. I dunno. They migh tlook good with something brighter...

Yeah, I'm thinking a really strong tyrian purple + aquamarine for mine, but that might be a bit daring.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm considering painting mine candy apple red with white trim, like classic cars that murder you.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

moths posted:

I'm considering painting mine candy apple red with white trim, like classic cars that murder you.

I was actually just considering something similar! I'm pretty sure it'd look fantastic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Asterians seem to have temporarily broken the KS slump, they've gotten like 3000 or so I think just today.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Next faction for Warpath announced:

Yesssssssssssss

Look at themmmm

They're like elfy Tau.

I am now pledging.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I upped my pledge as well. Asterians vs Enforcers is going to be a rad painting project, hopefully I'll find someone to play with in the GTA.

I wish they were running this KS a little better. Failing to update, putting the SGs below the description (although that might be a problem with the way KS is designed) and not really sketching out the goals ahead strikes me as the opposite of the cool Bones 3 KS. I know they need to adjust SGs on the fly and respond to how the KS is going, but it seems like they could hint at things to keep people excited. Just don't set it to like, six or seven goals ahead - I think Bones did that, then had to compress the goals because things stalled out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
But they've been doing just that. They've been hinting or outright stating the next stretch goal before they finish the current one. Plus the veermin tank has been being teased since the first day and we're only on it now. I guess the only other thing I'd want them to do is to explicitly state the asterian vehicle is up after the battlegroup is unlocked.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish that you could choose which two factions you got for the two player one. Enforcers are really boring and aren't going to persuade any of my friends to play.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So if they do one of those like, mega deals that are rumored, can you do that through the PM later or are those usually exclusive to the KS phase?

Taear posted:

I wish that you could choose which two factions you got for the two player one. Enforcers are really boring and aren't going to persuade any of my friends to play.
Yeah I wish they'd set up a second one, like Asterians vs Plague.

I really like the Enforcers but I can see how kinda generic tacticool isn't doing it for you. I feel like we shouldn't like every army, though, that way they're far enough apart everyone can like something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the full straight-up Iron Man Enforcers, but the light-armored ones that are basically Scouts kinda suck and look lovely

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think the Space Dwarfs and Space Skaven would be fine and both look pretty decent unpainted, since they'll never ever be painted.
Enforcers on the other hand are drab without paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spiderdrake posted:

So if they do one of those like, mega deals that are rumored, can you do that through the PM later or are those usually exclusive to the KS phase?

Everything can be done through the pledge manager phase. The only time that hasn't been true is when they've done a time locked deal, but that's not going to happen for Warpath.