Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was actually gonna say, for all the people worried about things getting bogged down, so far it still feels like the manga's been running at a pretty decent clip. We're already halfway through their first year, which makes me wonder what the author's plan's going to be for when they graduate.

I mean, things could still grind to a halt later, but so far we still seem to be in the early "Brisk" arcs phase of the shounen cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How many years is Japanese high school anyways?

And I think Horikoshi intends to follow through to pro hero-dom.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought we were only like 3 months into the school year?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We are.

I double-checked and it turns out I misread what they were preparing for.

Carry on, I guess.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fabricated posted:

It's funny that Best Jeanist was completely unsuccessful at changing Bakugou even one iota.

I don't know about him ever heel-turning now; he seems like the kind of person who would be disgusted at working with villains even if he was an rear end in a top hat himself. Him being brought into the All-Might secret club and realizing the enormity of what Midoriya has signed up for would be interesting.

If anything, I could see Bakugou becoming another hero killer type anti-hero more than an actual villain

he's very driven by his own sense of justice and doesn't seem to give too much of a drat about the establishment beyond have quirk > go to hero academy > become hero

if they became an obstruction for him i can't imagine he'd be too troubled by turning vigilante

then again i don't think it's very likely, but i really don't see him becoming an actual villain, he's an rear end in a top hat yeah but he's a very pure character in his reasoning and logic

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

While not a perfect analogy, people shame/judge others for breast implants and plastic surgery all the time because they weren't born with that beauty. I would've gone with a "natural born athlete vs steroid user" comparison but that one isn't as good since steroids have negative side effects from normal use (at least, much more so than cosmetic surgery).

The steroid thing is a bad analogy because the idea with steroids is that you can reach the same (or better) outcomes with comparatively less effort. The reason why it makes no sense to consider Deku's situation cheating is that the norm is "just being born with it" and you can't really get any easier than that. If anything Deku had it harder, since he was forced to put in a bunch of effort before receiving his quirk.

I think that the breast implant/plastic surgery comparison is better. I'm not surprised that other people might consider it cheating (in the sense that anyone who is well off often gets upset when others rise up to their level); I'm just saying that it still makes no sense to think it is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I had to pick a single phrase to describe Bakugou, it would probably be "violently irrational in every sense."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

If anything, I could see Bakugou becoming another hero killer type anti-hero more than an actual villain

he's very driven by his own sense of justice and doesn't seem to give too much of a drat about the establishment beyond have quirk > go to hero academy > become hero

if they became an obstruction for him i can't imagine he'd be too troubled by turning vigilante

Bakugou wants to be the number one hero he can't do that being a vigilante he doesn't give a drat about helping people or saving anything he just wants to be number one, he would never ever abandon the current system.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Bakugou is much more likely to be an Endeavour than a Stain, though he'd trade the weird breeding stuff for lots of collateral damage.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bakugou probably just views Endeavor as someone who gave up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So if i'm right its 1 and 2 vs eraser, and 3 and 4 vs all might, so it is ordered by grades then? if so 5 and 6, etc... say isn't urakura number 13?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

So if i'm right its 1 and 2 vs eraser, and 3 and 4 vs all might, so it is ordered by grades then? if so 5 and 6, etc... say isn't urakura number 13?

If it worked like that, Iida would be paired with Momo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Three years.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

Iida's 2, not Todoroki. They're not pairing these based on academics, though 3 & 4 working together is something of a coincidence. (Though also not; Deku's smart and driven, but until recently Bakugou's just always been better at everything so him being a step ahead in academics but, in keeping with his "no longer the best around" thing, not on top overall makes perfect sense.) The principal said, they have a lot of factors they're considering, and really I doubt academic grades are particularly high on their list compared to things more relevant to the combat situation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Roland Jones posted:

Iida's 2, not Todoroki. They're not pairing these based on academics, though 3 & 4 working together is something of a coincidence. (Though also not; Deku's smart and driven, but until recently Bakugou's just always been better at everything so him being a step ahead in academics but, in keeping with his "no longer the best around" thing, not on top overall makes perfect sense.) The principal said, they have a lot of factors they're considering, and really I doubt academic grades are particularly high on their list compared to things more relevant to the combat situation.

My brain apparently failed me. So yeah, thing.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Not enough time.

Not enough hair gel you mean.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

And I think Horikoshi intends to follow through to pro hero-dom.

3 years. They're only 15, so they're just starting high school.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has Bakugou shown anything other than pure self aggrandizement? He seems like the kind of student where the goal of the school is to make him a "hero" since they know the alternative is that he's very likely to become a powerful villain. His absolute disdain for people weaker than him combined with his violent nature, quirk, and desire to be the best really is the perfect cocktail of super villain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing with Bakugou is that he'd never be an outright criminal. He wants to become a hero for the praise he'd get, the attention and the admiration. He wants people to view him as someone better than them.

A villain doesn't get that. They work in the shadows. They're feared, but no one except other villains admires them. The average person spends their time hoping they never see a villain. If Bakugou said gently caress it and blew up an apartment or something, he wouldn't be admired, he'd be condemned. He might get attention, even negative attention, but then he'd get locked up and forgotten about.

Bakugou is a bad person, and if left to his own devices he'd absolutely cause damage and do bad things, but I think he'd never outright go 'time to kill heroes/innocent civilians because gently caress it.' like an actual super villain.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
They'll probably push Bakugou far enough that he'll either become disenfranchised with hero work and become the new Endeavor, or further until he becomes a villain. The school hasn't actually been working hard with putting him through therapy or fixing him. poo poo like how All-Might let him continue to rage and destroy the apartment building in the class exercise simply so Midoriya could get more fighting experience, and nothing was done afterwards to ensure Bakugou didn't do again. He has a breakdown at the school festival and they chain him to the post, give him his medal and shrug their shoulders like "welp we did enough here!"

It feels like they've all focused too hard on pushing Midoriya forward that they've forgotten about Bakugou, and it'll be too little too late when they try to fix it. Learning Midoriya is using a quirk that wasn't even originally his (and puts him at the assured first place automatically) might be the spark that lights the powderkeg to him making a huge change.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Bakugou is just so good at everything he does that they all were a bit "hands off" with him. He even had a sort of calm and calculculating streak to him that made it easier for the teachers. But yeah, the latest chapters they hinted at him not integrating with the class and actually becoming worse. So I guess it's all might's turn to rehab him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou is one of those people who just need to hit rock bottom before they change. Like he's not REALLY evil, because if he was he would've put Uraraka in the hospital when they fought and would have certainly aimed to kill Midoriya when they fought. He didn't kill any of the mooks during the USJ invasion despite fact he totally could've gotten away with it in the confusion as self-defense.

Basically he just needs the poo poo slapped out him enough until he pulls his head from his rear end and realizes he limits his own potential.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It feels like they've all focused too hard on pushing Midoriya forward that they've forgotten about Bakugou, and it'll be too little too late when they try to fix it. Learning Midoriya is using a quirk that wasn't even originally his (and puts him at the assured first place automatically) might be the spark that lights the powderkeg to him making a huge change.

I agree that Bakugou wouldn't take finding out about Midoriya and One for All very well, but I think he's too pragmatic to care about how Midoriya got his quirk. The fact that All Might chose Deku over him to be the successor to One for All would probably what he'd care about the most.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im hoping against hope that bakugou ends up being the venom to midoriya's spider man, so to speak, rather than actually joining the opposition. manga has enough sasukes already

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DolphinCop posted:

im hoping against hope that bakugou ends up being the venom to midoriya's spider man, so to speak, rather than actually joining the opposition. manga has enough sasukes already

We've already had Stain.

I am wondering about Bakugou - for a while now, him being at total rear end in a top hat has been played for laughs, without significant consequences (and a new friend who just soaks it up because that's his superpower) and he's had the odd little humanising moment with the other students to show he's not all bad. I assumed that he'd just end up as a genuinely great hero who just happens to have a ludicrously abrasive attitude because it's funny, but now they're treating it a bit more seriously again, poo poo might get a bit more real.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I want Bakugou to be the world's biggest rear end in a top hat and the most noble of heroes at the same time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it's a stretch for anything good to happen to Bakugou considering this is a kid's manga in a country with a severe youth suicide problem. A character that relentlessly bullies the main character isn't going to sail through a story like this unscathed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

DolphinCop posted:

Eddie Brock venom, or awesome Flash Thompson venom?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eej posted:

I think it's a stretch for anything good to happen to Bakugou considering this is a kid's manga in a country with a severe youth suicide problem. A character that relentlessly bullies the main character isn't going to sail through a story like this unscathed.

:agreed:

he's going to learn his lesson and be slightly less of a dick

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or they could kill him.

...Nah, it's shounen. The rear end in a top hat character is typically pretty safe in these things. :rip: to whatever second-stringer gets it if Horikoshi decides to pull the trigger again after All Might however.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I will never recover after invisible girl's death

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

Or they could kill him.

...Nah, it's shounen. The rear end in a top hat character is typically pretty safe in these things. :rip: to whatever second-stringer gets it if Horikoshi decides to pull the trigger again after All Might however.

Kirishima is completely hosed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou is either going to become a villain or be forced to accept the fact that maybe Deku is not worthless and that he might not actually automatically be better than everyone else in every way.

Or maybe he will go see a therapist to help him through his anger issues. That could work.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I still eagerly await the moment he realizes the full potential of his ability, I hope he doesn't simply stay a gag character

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou is Gary Oak and thus The Best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gary Oak never tried to blow up a man or two. Nor was he ever angry enough to be Bakugou.

In fact other than them both being naturally talented and also assholes I don't think they're that similar at all.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Bakugou is one of those people who just need to hit rock bottom before they change. Like he's not REALLY evil, because if he was he would've put Uraraka in the hospital when they fought and would have certainly aimed to kill Midoriya when they fought. He didn't kill any of the mooks during the USJ invasion despite fact he totally could've gotten away with it in the confusion as self-defense.

Basically he just needs the poo poo slapped out him enough until he pulls his head from his rear end and realizes he limits his own potential.

I honestly don't see Bakugou as evil in any way beyond the bullying he does to Midoriya. Even when he was saved from the sludge monster he felt obligated to thank him even if he didn't really want to. In the Uraraka and Todoroki fights he stopped immediately when the other person was knocked out, and only got weird at Todoroki because he denied him a good fight with his full power.

I wouldn't call him evil, I'd call him extremely prideful and high strung with that clashing with his sense of heroics.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I honestly don't see Bakugou as evil in any way beyond the bullying he does to Midoriya. Even when he was saved from the sludge monster he felt obligated to thank him even if he didn't really want to. In the Uraraka and Todoroki fights he stopped immediately when the other person was knocked out, and only got weird at Todoroki because he denied him a good fight with his full power.

I wouldn't call him evil, I'd call him extremely prideful and high strung with that clashing with his sense of heroics.

What are you talking about? In the Todoroki fight he had to be put to sleep by Midnight before he seriously injured the dude because even though Todoroki was out Bakugou still wanted to kick his rear end for seemingly disrespecting him.

Also, what are Bakugou's sense of heroics. Because from the way I read him the only reason he wants to be a hero is because he knows he's the strongest and the smartest and the best, and thus the best suited to be a hero. Far more than anyone else. I honestly can't remember any time it's been shown that Bakugou actually is all that heroic, and I read the whole series only a few days ago.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What are you talking about? In the Todoroki fight he had to be put to sleep by Midnight before he seriously injured the dude because even though Todoroki was out Bakugou still wanted to kick his rear end for seemingly disrespecting him.

Also, what are Bakugou's sense of heroics. Because from the way I read him the only reason he wants to be a hero is because he knows he's the strongest and the smartest and the best, and thus the best suited to be a hero. Far more than anyone else. I honestly can't remember any time it's been shown that Bakugou actually is all that heroic, and I read the whole series only a few days ago.

Not really? He was shaking Todoroki and yelling at him to get up but he wasn't actually hurting him. Midnight put him to sleep so they could separate them because Bakugou was having a breakdown. He also doesn't continue attacking Uraraka when she collapses - after the fight not only does he think she's strong but he tears into Midoriya at the possibility that he influenced the tactics that lead her to getting hurt in the fight. Eraserhead points it out that he respects his opponent enough to go full out without seriously harming them.

Outside of how he treats Midoriya and All-Might (and he even thanked him out of obligation despite hating him in the first chapter) he doesn't resort to violence outside of sanctioned fights, works hard at school and is actually really intelligent. He took his admissions so seriously he told his friend to put out his cigarette just in case it made him look bad. He's got a whole childhood worth of inflated pride and the teachers not intervening or helping him working against him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I've never seen Bakugou do anything particularly (or even loosely) heroic. About the only commendable thing he's done thus far is treat Uraraka as an equal.

Dude openly stated he wants power, fame, and money. He says this in the very first chapter. He'll probably avoid turning criminal, as Endorph pointed out, because the exact brand of fame he's looking for is respect and admiration, but he is not at this point a "Good" person with a few "Rough" edges. Honestly I'd say his only two redeeming qualities as a human being are his drive to succeed and his insistence on competitive fair play, one of which goes out the window when we're not actually holding a competition.