Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a legit way to get Packet Tracer without signing up for some poo poo classroom course? Do they not offer any of their Networking Academy stuff online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

Is there a legit way to get Packet Tracer without signing up for some poo poo classroom course? Do they not offer any of their Networking Academy stuff online?

Not that I am aware of. You can try GSN3 or Boson NetSim as alternatives though. Both work fairly well.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Can anyone tell me if the Sybex for LX0-103 and 104 is the best text for Linux+ or is there another study guides that's better?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've always known it as American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Ahdinko posted:

I've always known it as American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration

I hadn't heard this one. Filing that away for later use.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Anyone know of any way to get a discount on testing fees? $400 for just the A+ seems a little steep.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BigDave posted:

Anyone know of any way to get a discount on testing fees? $400 for just the A+ seems a little steep.

Contact local community colleges. You might be able to take a class and then do the cert for free or at a large discount.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Studying up for the security+ next week and the Gibson book is giving me a laugh. Not his book or writing, just the fact that hacker culture way back when was able to get ahead of IT security being big business and come up with it's own terminology. For example bluesnarfing. You know that some nerd way back when created that term as a euphemism for smurf sex and just shoehorned it into being a bluetooth term or vice versa. Now a days that term would be some annoying acronym.

Not %100 on topic but it makes the studying go a bit easier. For those about to study for the security+ so far it seems like mostly common networking knowledge and memorizing ports and vocab.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

PneumonicBook posted:

Ugh. Let me know how that goes and be sure to let the course mentor that it's trash. WGU is normally pretty good about changing things around if they don't work.

I was hasty. The course also uses code academy in addition to the udacity course. The code academy material is smooth and fun.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

BigDave posted:

I had a good experience with http://www.getcertified4less.com/ for my Security+. Basically, they sell expiring vouchers at a discount, so you only have a month or two to take the exam once you buy.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I got Powershell in a Month of Lunches and AD in a Month of Lunches, but the preface of AD in a Month of Lunches comes right out of the gate saying it doesn't teach you how to build a new Active Directory. What's the best resource to learn about building Active Directory from the ground up?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Chickenwalker posted:

So I got Powershell in a Month of Lunches and AD in a Month of Lunches, but the preface of AD in a Month of Lunches comes right out of the gate saying it doesn't teach you how to build a new Active Directory. What's the best resource to learn about building Active Directory from the ground up?

Eli the Computer Guy is the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WyBxwJD_c0

DNS and Active Directory and very intimately tied together. Make sure you understand DNS before you set up a domain

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chickenwalker posted:

Don't let it intimidate you. It probably was really hard a decade ago, but you'll probably be able to pull it off just by futzing your way through it. Six months later you'll probably want to redo it, but it's hard to gently caress up in a lab environment.

Just give it a shot and let us know where you land!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've been reading the All-In-one ComptiaA+ text book and wow it's a lot of info. Is it possible to study to the practice exams too? I'm only 300+ pages out of 700.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
CompTIA is a crazy brain dump full of facts that you can forget the minute after you pass. I read the Myers book cover to cover about a week before the exam and passed by ~10% (after 3 years part time desktop support in college). None of it is practical application, though I'd click along in the OS when they ask you to find menu items or certain settings because they'll explicitly ask you how to do it on the test

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Didn't that stupid A+ book still go over poo poo like IRQ numbers? Or have they finally updated it to not tell you poo poo you don't need to care about anymore.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Didn't that stupid A+ book still go over poo poo like IRQ numbers? Or have they finally updated it to not tell you poo poo you don't need to care about anymore.

No, IRQ numbers here. I'm up to Power Supplies right now though.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

800 dropped IRQ/DMA.

If you have troubleshooting experience, biggest thing you need to know is the CompTIA way on troubleshooting (Look at the problem, talk about it, talk some more, document your talking, talk about the documentation, think about researching, research, document the research, talk about the documentation of the research, think about applying it.... :suicide:) and know a lot of acronyms and what they mean, and if you want to get frisky, memorize all the pins on RAM chips (gently caress that). Know your basic command line stuff (Meyers covers it all), and that's about it. The rest was a cakewalk.

I never once "passed" the Meyers test that came with the A+ book, and nailed the poo poo out of the actual exam.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone used the Lynda videos for the CCNA? My library just gave its members free access

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone used the Lynda videos for the CCNA? My library just gave its members free access

I have not. Let me know if they're good if you check them out. I have a friend that would appreciate some video sources on top of his book.

Gothmog1065 posted:

800 dropped IRQ/DMA.

Thank god; I was worried. I never did get my A+ but I remember helping a friend study for it in high school. I was of the mindset that I can prove to you I know what I'm doing by actually doing things and explaining them if need be. I used to think having to write a test to get a card that said you knew what you were doing was dumb.

Well isn't my face red a decade later lol

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Alder posted:

No, IRQ numbers here. I'm up to Power Supplies right now though.

Does that mean that the book you're reading does have IRQ numbers? If you're reading all about that or the great new control panel in Windows XP you might have the wrong book

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I'm thinking of expanding beyond my A+ Cert and I've been hearing ads for ITPro.TV. Anyone know if these guys are a good source or if I should stick with more traditional sources or material?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Does that mean that the book you're reading does have IRQ numbers? If you're reading all about that or the great new control panel in Windows XP you might have the wrong book

Oh god please don't tell me it goes over shared bus too :cry:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm having such a hard time remembering the difference between extended memory and expanded memory.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm having such a hard time remembering the difference between extended memory and expanded memory.

Wasn't extended anything between 640k and 1 MB and expanded anything above 1 MB?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

NIV3K posted:

I'm thinking of expanding beyond my A+ Cert and I've been hearing ads for ITPro.TV. Anyone know if these guys are a good source or if I should stick with more traditional sources or material?

We have a corporate account with them. I'm a fan. The videos are engaging and enjoyable to watch. You can stream them as they're being recorded for free. That should give you a sense of what they're like. I'm not sure it's enough to pass an exam with only the videos but you could have a strong showing with books+videos. They also have some free practice tests for certain exams.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

CapMoron posted:

The uCertify material they provided me for Network+ was the same crap. All of the "labs" had stuff that they hadn't covered yet, or didn't cover anywhere in the whole course (not to mention some healthy Engrish like grammar). I ended up using Mike Meyer's All-In-One guide for the Network+.

I seem to remember the uCertify quizzes were mostly OK for me though, just the lovely labs.

I hated uCertify's stuff. I ended up borrowing a book from a friend and reading that instead. Agreed on the labs too, they were just annoying to me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I was of the mindset that I can prove to you I know what I'm doing by actually doing things and explaining them if need be. I used to think having to write a test to get a card that said you knew what you were doing was dumb.

Well isn't my face red a decade later lol

you're right for the most part. It IS loving dumb.

But HR and employers want people who have them, therefore we have no choice.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2015

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you end up not liking Lynda's offerings, this is the course I used to pass mine: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC along with Todd Lammle's book and some labbing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. So far I like the Lynda one, its by Lazaro Diaz. I haven't done the exercises yet, so they could suck.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is it the same as this course? https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-ccna-200-120-course/

Laz Diaz is annoying as gently caress and he bumbles through a lot of his videos, but drat if I didn't pass the ccna on that course and odoms ccent book. If you recreate every one of his topologies in packet tracer you will be able to easily complete the simulations on the test.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, this one is different. 13 hours total for the CCENT course and the CCNA course. I'm hoping that any practice tests I take will at least tell me what my weaknesses are.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 23, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I find videos much more tolerable if they have captioning. I can then turn the speed up to somewhere between 150% and 200% and actually cruise through it. It's even better if there's a transcript because I can check to see if the info I want is going to be in the video.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Videos work for me when it comes to certifications. It feels much more like a classroom environment and I can take notes during example instead of reading, stopping to write, then reading again.

As far as troubleshooting or day to day operations I exclusively read. YouTube doesn't do anything for me and is too slow when it comes to what commands I need to export a firewall config.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Am I going to need my lab for the ICDN1? It seems to be more general knowledge focused. I've got a bit before I can get my switch in for my lab, and I"m reading Odom's book for the ICDN1.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Am I going to need my lab for the ICDN1? It seems to be more general knowledge focused. I've got a bit before I can get my switch in for my lab, and I"m reading Odom's book for the ICDN1.

It wouldnt hurt. Basically for the ICDN1 know all of your show commands back and forth. You may have to remember how to setup a device name, turn ports off and on and assign static routes. I cant remember for sure. Definitely know your show commands though.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

A lab isn't necessary for ICND1, but if you already have one it's better than a simulator :)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You should be able to use a single device for practicing icnd1. There are sims on the test so I wouldn't go in blind to the cli.

Boot it, give it a name, add a user, set an enable password, give an interface an IP address, turn it on, and then use show commands to check your work. You shouldn't run in to anything more complex than this on the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Race Realists posted:

you're right for the most part. It IS loving dumb.

But HR and employers want people who have them, therefore we have no choice.

I'm more on the cert bandwagon once you're actually specializing yourself into a specific field. That's fine. But I feel things like A+ are just a waste of time.