Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Faxes are stupidly popular with lawyers because state and county governments require documents be faxed. Because they can't be digitally edited after they're digitally edited and printed, or something, who loving knows it's the dumbest practice ever and wastes time and money. Especially when as lot of people digitally fax stuff from PDFs using online services.

VOIP Faxing, basically free at this point. Kill all fax machines, and analog lines.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

I saw a fax on the machine yesterday that came from a Mr. Flucker.

I had a customer with the first name Fanny.

I decided to be mature about it, up until the point that I called the customer and her non-English speaking mother picked up the phone. She just kept repeating "MY FANNY MY FANNY MY FANNY" at me while I struggled to keep a straight face.

I had to take a break afterwards because I am a literal child.

e:

I also just found a picture of my favorite name ever, RUBAB BUTT

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 28, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
GM: So is [supervisor] aware of any of this, yet? (re: wifi project)
Me: Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to break the news that won't end in him throwing a fit and sabotaging the whole project.
GM: ....Maybe you'd better let me tell him, first.
Me: As long as he doesn't commandeer the whole thing.
GM: Oh, of course not. Just leave it to me.

GM is a cool dude.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Immediately change the default login credentials on any gear you get. Don't give the fool a chance to throw a spanner in the works.

If he throws a shitfit, bring up your lack of access to admin credentials for things then jocularly uppercut him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

GM: So is [supervisor] aware of any of this, yet? (re: wifi project)
Me: Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to break the news that won't end in him throwing a fit and sabotaging the whole project.
GM: ....Maybe you'd better let me tell him, first.
Me: As long as he doesn't commandeer the whole thing.
GM: Oh, of course not. Just leave it to me.

GM is a cool dude.

Eagerly awaiting your next post of "[supervisor] busts into my office, tells me that they don't need WiFi. GM sheepishly followed him, and slowly nods while adverting his eyes."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Woogles posted:

Immediately change the default login credentials on any gear you get. Don't give the fool a chance to throw a spanner in the works.

Wouldn't this be par for the course anyway?

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Jerry Cotton posted:

You'd think so but saying that is force of habit for me now. I've seen things, man. Things you'd probably believe.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is as ridiculous as assuming your Linux-powered light fixtures wouldn't contain the secret gpg key that's used to sign firmware updates.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Linux-powered light fixtures

The idea seems weird at first but then who needs sound on a light fixture anyway :shrug:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jerry Cotton posted:

The idea seems weird at first but then who needs sound on a light fixture anyway :shrug:

A good joke.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll stop with that 40000-year-old joke once I get a Linux where sound works on every machine I want it on (without rolling my own LFS).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've only ever gotten sound to work properly on one laptop. I think the laptop was cursed, because everything else including wireless also worked with no effort.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Woogles posted:

If he throws a shitfit, bring up your lack of access to admin credentials for things then jocularly uppercut him.

This was the plan aaaaalllll along. But he'll be so insulted by the whole thing, he'll likely never want anything to do with it. He does the same thing with the ticketing system.

Volmarias posted:

Eagerly awaiting your next post of "[supervisor] busts into my office, tells me that they don't need WiFi. GM sheepishly followed him, and slowly nods while adverting his eyes."

This is probably more likely :smith:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nagios server failed it's file system check on boot so now it's unhappy :smith:

I have no idea who shut the drat thing down but it wasn't me, now I'm getting the feeling whoever it was didn't do a proper shutdown.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pr0digal posted:

Nagios server failed it's file system check on boot so now it's unhappy :smith:

I have no idea who shut the drat thing down but it wasn't me, now I'm getting the feeling whoever it was didn't do a proper shutdown.

Mine did that recently. We had two power outages that were long enough to drain the UPS batteries so the server lost power. The Nagios server is a complete mess and I can't get anything working in it at this point.

I'm trying to just wipe everything out of it and start fresh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pixaal posted:

Careful with getting fired, without a reference from a manager it can be hard to get a job sometimes. When leaving my previous (first) job I kept telling people no I still work there you cannot contact my hiring manager unless its the last part and would not hear anything back from them. She also had a policy of just hanging up if anyone called related to a reference in the first place, which screwed a coworker over that quit due to being stressed out there.

Literally every interview I've been on I've asked them not to contact my current employer because I don't want them to know I'm jumping ship. I've also never had them call my references, ever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Literally every interview I've been on I've asked them not to contact my current employer because I don't want them to know I'm jumping ship. I've also never had them call my references, ever.

I thanked my boss for giving me a reference when I got an offer for a new job, and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about because even though they demanded references they never called them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I thanked my boss for giving me a reference when I got an offer for a new job, and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about because even though they demanded references they never called them.

My first ever job at a loving retail place I was working at for beer money in college called my references. That was the only place ever contacted references from me. A part time job ringing up groceries.

That was the first and only place that contacted my references.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Renegret posted:

My first ever job at a loving retail place I was working at for beer money in college called my references. That was the only place ever contacted references from me. A part time job ringing up groceries.

That was the first and only place that contacted my references.

Likewise, the only place I know of that actually called references was when I was a product jockey at Best Buy in University. Even the bar I worked at didn't call my references.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
When I was working with a recruiter trying to get a job during my 3 month stint at being unemployed the recruiting company called my references, but the place that I ended up getting a job at(on my own, without a recruiter) flat old told me when I came in to interview that the references were pretty much just a formality and they never really call them.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Woogles posted:

This is the best image, especially when combined with a Cockney accent. "Cheerio, guv, you'd like access to the ol' admin essentially but wotcher bloody hell fizzgig a pint, can't be done luv, innit." [punches supervisor in jaw]

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A buddy of mine always put me down as a reference (he got a degree in finance/accounting) and I've gotten a few calls over the years.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got the Nagios server back up, /etc/fstab had an entry referencing a drive that didn't exist anymore so it was freaking out. Once I updated /etc/fstab with the correct drive name it came back up.

Of course now it's SQL database is throwing fits and that's above my level. Though Nagios does have a SQL repair script I'm going to wait until I hear back from the admin above me before running it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 28, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

My godfather owns a water company down here, the kind that sell the big water cooler jugs? I've done a little tech support for him over the years, and he said I could use him as a reference and claim I was their sysadmin.

My current job called my references when I applied. My old supervisor claimed he had never heard of me :smith:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 28, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Renegret posted:

I had a customer with the first name Fanny.

I decided to be mature about it, up until the point that I called the customer and her non-English speaking mother picked up the phone. She just kept repeating "MY FANNY MY FANNY MY FANNY" at me while I struggled to keep a straight face.

I had to take a break afterwards because I am a literal child.

I also just found a picture of my favorite name ever, RUBAB BUTT

Two customer accounts come to mind which I've codified as;
BUTT01
COCK01

I'm sure there was another, I was challenged about it but I said the name of their company includes those words and I'm just following procedure :shrug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Super Slash posted:

Two customer accounts come to mind which I've codified as;
BUTT01
COCK01

I'm sure there was another, I was challenged about it but I said the name of their company includes those words and I'm just following procedure :shrug:

haha

Internally we use the first letter of your first name, last name naming scheme for e-mail and tickets. One day I had a ticket escalated to me from user abutt. I made sure to show everyone here and laugh because, after all these years, I'm still a literal child.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Renegret posted:

haha

Internally we use the first letter of your first name, last name naming scheme for e-mail and tickets. One day I had a ticket escalated to me from user abutt. I made sure to show everyone here and laugh because, after all these years, I'm still a literal child.

Lemme tell you about the CEO of a game developing studio that uses first name, last initial for their emails

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

This is probably more likely :smith:

If this happens, pick up your poo poo, and walk out. No words, just walk out.

When they call you up asking why you walked out, tell them they obviously think that the CE is clearly better at anything IT related than you are, and obviously he has it 100% under control, so there's absolutely no need for you to be there for anything.

When they start fighting you, tell them the only way you'll come back is if you get access to all IT systems, and that the CE gets access to nothing.

Though the reality is that you really need a new job before this will happen because you probably can't afford to do that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
FYI, the internet is down.

Edit:
https://isitup.org/facebook.com

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2015

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh poo poo

How will I post on funny computer forum now?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

If this happens, pick up your poo poo, and walk out. No words, just walk out.

When they call you up asking why you walked out, tell them they obviously think that the CE is clearly better at anything IT related than you are, and obviously he has it 100% under control, so there's absolutely no need for you to be there for anything.

When they start fighting you, tell them the only way you'll come back is if you get access to all IT systems, and that the CE gets access to nothing.

Though the reality is that you really need a new job before this will happen because you probably can't afford to do that.

Yeah, I wish I had that sort of leverage. The bottom line, though, is that anyone in power believes just that. CE is hated, but he's a goddamned genius to them, especially the GM. Here's how the conversation will play out:

GM: Well, he researched it and wrote up the information for me, and he says that blah blah is going to be the best option.
CE: He doesn't know anything about it. We can do everything he wants to do with a $30 router from Office Depot without having to run any cables.
GM: Oh, we can? So we can get this whole project done for $30?
CE: Well, yeah.
GM: Why don't we just do that then? No sense in paying someone thousands of dollars to do something we can manage for $30.

That's absolutely as far as it will go. No matter how much research and number crunching and planning I do, it will take just one little fart of a suggestion from CE to be taken as the best option with positively no follow-up or defense on his part.

I honestly don't even care that it gets done. The only reason I'm doing this is that it's an opportunity to research, plan, and deploy an entirely new branch of infrastructure so I can have the experience and be able to brag about it on my resume.

At the very least, I can ransom my resignation and if they call my bluff I can get a job doing cable drops around the state.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Right now you've got some good projects on your résumé. Do you have a LinkedIn?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Edit:
https://isitup.org/facebook.com

poo poo must've hit the fan down there, the last time this happened was... what? Years ago?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Right now you've got some good projects on your résumé. Do you have a LinkedIn?

I do, but I haven't really touched it since I set it up. The only people I'm networked with are people from high school, and all they do is endorse me for teaching skills.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I do, but I haven't really touched it since I set it up. The only people I'm networked with are people from high school, and all they do is endorse me for teaching skills.
I'm pretty sure there's at least on SH/SC group on LinkedIn that will shower you with endorsements.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Maybe this weekend you should get on there and make sure your profile is as complete as possible. Try to get All-Star for completeness.

Make sure you add all the skills you want to use in the future. Don't add skills that you hate.

Don't worry too much about endorsements. Any time you talk to a recruiter, link them on LinkedIn (unless they're sleazy)

It's one of those self promotion tools you just have to learn to use.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I will make goons proud

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo

How will I post on funny computer forum now?

Very carefully.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

I will make goons proud

Larch,

I bet that if you updated your linked in profile and linked it here you'd have a gaggle of references in no time flat. Of course there's the risk of personal info on an internet comedy forum...

On second thought,

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Segmentation Fault posted:

poo poo must've hit the fan down there, the last time this happened was... what? Years ago?

It went down on the 24th for a few hours as well.

• Locked thread