Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I remember reading that Cherry was having some quality issues with blues on geekhack. Can't remember the details though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sure they're cherry brand? That's not normal

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kairos posted:

I just got a board with Cherry Blue switches in it, and some of the keys really don't click at all. For example, my 0 has a very distinctive click and tactile feel to it, whereas the 9 key right next to it makes a barely perceptible noise and feels nearly completely linear. There are several keys on the board like this, like I and H and the right arrow key.

Is this sort of thing normal? Does the board need to get "broken in" or something? Or did I just get a lemon?

What's happening is the slider is stuck for some reason.

First I'd take the caps off the keys that are having problems and look for anything visibly wrong, like deformed plastic on the cap or stem, or any goop schmutz or whatever on it. That's unlikely to be the issue but good to check, and we want the cap off for the next stage anyways.

Now :f5: the key stem, with the cap off, really fast. Stuck sliders is mostly because of dust or bad application of lube (cherry switches have a small amount of lube applied at the factory), if you get it dislodged it'll probably be fine after.

If that doesn't do anything, RMA it.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I remember reading that Cherry was having some quality issues with blues on geekhack. Can't remember the details though.
Man if that's true that's a really, really bad thing for them. They're a company with chinese competition that can make a near identical clone and their main advantage is a rep for quality.

(Though it also could be the keyboard makers are doing less QC in general -- some of these issues happen during assembly. The two-part switches are probably a lot easier to damage while putting the board together.)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

Not at all normal, in fact, i've never heard of bad cherries... maybe in the last 10 years? Maybe this is a case of chinese knockoffs?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

redeyes posted:

Not at all normal, in fact, i've never heard of bad cherries... maybe in the last 10 years? Maybe this is a case of chinese knockoffs?

cherry mx whites are known to be quite inconsistent in terms of click sound. I have a board with them and while the feel is the same, some of the switches are quite while others are just like blues.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was at the store this weekend and the pos terminal had some kind of buckling spring switch. I could hear it. I wanted to touch it. It sounded so firm.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redeyes posted:

Yeah I've heard rumors of Chinese knockoffs being substituted for Cherries

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Are the bad keys all in the same area? Maybe something crushed the middle of the box.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

echinopsis posted:

They say Cherry on them, and it's specifically a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, which is made by a company that I expect wouldn't use bootleg switches. My understanding is that that specific board is essentially an off-brand Filco, made by the same factory and everything? Maybe QC is worse for them than the actual Filcos or something.

ColHannibal posted:

Are the bad keys all in the same area? Maybe something crushed the middle of the box.

No, they're kind of all over the place, and the bad keys also have plenty of good keys adjacent to them. Also the box seems sturdy enough and doesn't have any signs of damage.

Klyith posted:

What's happening is the slider is stuck for some reason.

First I'd take the caps off the keys that are having problems and look for anything visibly wrong, like deformed plastic on the cap or stem, or any goop schmutz or whatever on it. That's unlikely to be the issue but good to check, and we want the cap off for the next stage anyways.

Now :f5: the key stem, with the cap off, really fast. Stuck sliders is mostly because of dust or bad application of lube (cherry switches have a small amount of lube applied at the factory), if you get it dislodged it'll probably be fine after.

If that doesn't do anything, RMA it.

I did that for a couple minutes each on some of the bad keys and I can't tell a difference. Oh well. :sigh:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kairos posted:

They say Cherry on them, and it's specifically a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, which is made by a company that I expect wouldn't use bootleg switches. My understanding is that that specific board is essentially an off-brand Filco, made by the same factory and everything? Maybe QC is worse for them than the actual Filcos or something.

No, they're kind of all over the place, and the bad keys also have plenty of good keys adjacent to them. Also the box seems sturdy enough and doesn't have any signs of damage.

I did that for a couple minutes each on some of the bad keys and I can't tell a difference. Oh well. :sigh:

I haven't had this issue on the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with blue or green switches I own, so you may have just gotten a bad one. I'd consider an RMA if it's way different between keys, that doesn't sound normal. There can be small differences between the click in some switches but it's usually not noticeable.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had to RMA my girlfriend's CM keyboard for a broken USB hub. They offered a Novatouch as a replacement. She loves her MX red keyboard so it looks like I am replacing my MX Blues Filco MJ-2 with this. :D

Gotta say I'm a fan.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I had to RMA my girlfriend's CM keyboard for a broken USB hub. They offered a Novatouch as a replacement. She loves her MX red keyboard so it looks like I am replacing my MX Blues Filco MJ-2 with this. :D

Gotta say I'm a fan.

Enjoy your good feeling of oneness with cup rubber!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anker made a cherry red mechanical keyboard, full size, with white backlights for like 80 bux! But I just went to buy another and they are discontinued. :( Dammit!

Oh look: http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-G80-38...s=cherry+mx+red

I like this

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 29, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

redeyes posted:

Anker made a cherry red mechanical keyboard, full size, with white backlights for like 80 bux! But I just went to buy another and they are discontinued. :( Dammit!

Oh look: http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-G80-38...s=cherry+mx+red

I like this

Lose that tenkey, you won't miss it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think after using PBTs on my Code Clears I am in love with, the blues with ABS feel nice to type individual keys but gliding over the keys typing doesn't feel nice like the PBTs. I am going back on everything I have said earlier regarding these types of things

Anyway https://www.massdrop.com/payment/11341

The colours are a bit awful but price is OK and PBT Doubleshot? I can't justify it though

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I think after using PBTs on my Code Clears I am in love with, the blues with ABS feel nice to type individual keys but gliding over the keys typing doesn't feel nice like the PBTs. I am going back on everything I have said earlier regarding these types of things

Anyway https://www.massdrop.com/payment/11341

The colours are a bit awful but price is OK and PBT Doubleshot? I can't justify it though

I have the Miami ones and I paid full price for them. I have to say they were worth it. I was tempted to join this drop, even though I have a spare set of keys laying around.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Where did you get them? The orange and black tempt me but I don't have the money to spend on things I don't need right now :cry:

They'd go on my WASD Blues board but my mum has that at the moment, she loves the feel but doesn't type fast so gliding over keys doesn't matter to her, just good crisp key action

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

As the kids say, I'm going to Miami. But for real that's a good price for pbt doubleshots and I don't know why but I love the Miami colors. Reminds me of Vice City I suppose and now it matches Cities: Skylines - After Dark.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Where did you get them? The orange and black tempt me but I don't have the money to spend on things I don't need right now :cry:

They'd go on my WASD Blues board but my mum has that at the moment, she loves the feel but doesn't type fast so gliding over keys doesn't matter to her, just good crisp key action

I bought the Miami ones here but $27 is so cheap in comparison...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

Lose that tenkey, you won't miss it.

Over my loving dead body.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

get rid of those dumb F keys and all those stupid numbers while you're at it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nondescript Van posted:

whoa whoa whoa let's not go nuts

pictured: the spergy board i took to work. reds are superior.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nondescript Van posted:

I have a special keyboard that only has the letters F U C K Y O on it. I use it mostly in CS matches.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I have a special keyboard that only has the letters F U C K Y O on it. I use it mostly in CS matches.

Lets just get rid of the left half of the board and double up on all the letters with an extra function key.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nondescript Van posted:

Lets just get rid of the left half of the board and double up on all the letters with an extra function key.

You joke but:

ed:

quote:

"I don't even know how to type with two hands!"
VESNA VOJNIC, Marketing Manager, Matias Corporation

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

my current work board, cooler master quickfire rapid-i (mx blues) with vortex doubleshot pbt keycaps

i'm gonna replace those with taihao pbt doubleshots in black and orange

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

deep impact on vhs posted:

my current work board, cooler master quickfire rapid-i (mx blues) with vortex doubleshot pbt keycaps

i'm gonna replace those with taihao pbt doubleshots in black and orange

Hope you get them before halloween!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just retrofit a Cherry MX Blue into one of these:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pr0zac posted:

Hope you get them before halloween!

i got them through massdrop so possibly, but that's not why i bought them obviously

i just felt like with the black body they'd look really great, plus i love orange

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Saw the Strafe RGB at Best Buy and decided to pick it up.

It's plastic but feels no less solid than the K70 RGB. I actually like this one better because of the USB passthrough for my mouse, the letters on the buttons being bigger, and the white plastic under the keys, which makes the backlighting pop a bunch more.

The Cherry Silent keys are pretty drat good. They are probably as silent as the Logitech g710+ but don't feel squishy since there isn't an o-ring in there. I think it may have slightly, slightly less travel compared to reds.

It's really loving expensive, but I really, really like this keyboard. Kinda best of both worlds from the g710+ and the K70 RGB for me.

The one thing I miss from the K70 are the those dedicated media controls and the volume scrollwheel.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Shift

Shift Shift

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hikaki posted:

Shift

Shift Shift

It's for drag racing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KingEup posted:

I did not expect my yellow ducky to use almost the same yellow as the yellow on the galaxy class keycaps.

It's the Kidskey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Z5Im80aps

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

From their page:

quote:

How fast can I type?
With practice, up to 88% as fast as your two-handed speed. The current speed record is 64 words-per-minute!

Powered Descent posted:

Just retrofit a Cherry MX Blue into one of these:

Shut up and take my money.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

$595 USD?!?!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

GokieKS posted:

$595 USD?!?!

that's probably the only one.

on the other hand, make your own with a teensy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That's not far off from how I've got my keycaps setup. :stare:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Considerably cheaper, the Frogpad:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have been in love with my Unicomp (:smug:) the year and a half I've owned it. Best drat keyboard there is. But it turns out I should have paid more heed to the whispers I'd heard that they're not the most reliable keyboards around. Woke up a half hour ago to discover that all of a sudden, the S, L, C, N, /, F2 and F10 keys don't work, and now I'm typing this on a cheap scissor-keys board.

So yeah, don't buy Unicomp unless you're comfortable with only getting a year or two's use out of your $100-$150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have been in love with my Unicomp (:smug:) the year and a half I've owned it. Best drat keyboard there is. But it turns out I should have paid more heed to the whispers I'd heard that they're not the most reliable keyboards around. Woke up a half hour ago to discover that all of a sudden, the S, L, C, N, /, F2 and F10 keys don't work, and now I'm typing this on a cheap scissor-keys board.

So yeah, don't buy Unicomp unless you're comfortable with only getting a year or two's use out of your $100-$150.

A model M will last forever.

• Locked thread