Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Slithery D posted:

Look at this wrong opinion. Sentinel has most of the best tools of both and in ME2 a hilarious one of its own in tech armor. Infiltrators, like child molesters, hide in the shadows and attack the weak.

Boom! Headshot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Slithery D posted:

Look at this wrong opinion. Sentinel has most of the best tools of both and in ME2 a hilarious one of its own in tech armor. Infiltrators, like child molesters, hide in the shadows and attack the weak.

A Sentinel with a Mattock, Warp Ammo, and a Locust can handle just about anything in ME2. They really wanted to make up for how bad they were in the original game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It helps that the Locust and Carnifex are absolutely bonkers good in ME2.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Geostomp posted:

A Sentinel with a Mattock, Warp Ammo, and a Locust can handle just about anything in ME2. They really wanted to make up for how bad they were in the original game.
Then the Mattock was poo poo in 3 :( As was the Locust.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Then the Mattock was poo poo in 3 :( As was the Locust.

In Memoriam:

ME2 Locust
ME2 Mattock
ME2 Revenant
ME2 Carnifex

Thank god they gave us the Hurricane, the Saber, the Harrier, and the Talon to make up for them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And then we got the Lancer in ME3 Citadel which is basically cheat mode.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MA-Horus posted:

And then we got ... ME3 Citadel which is basically [awesome in every way].

Ftfy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The only thing about Citadel I don't like is the first sequence where you're stuck with the completely unmodded pistol, no medigel, and no other gear. The run from the spectre door to the car lot in particular is terrible with it's wonky cover and the fact that all the sight lines are skewed against you.

I realize that's partially the point but "turtling behind a potted plant and spamming concussive shot until the bad guys go away because you ran out of ammo and there isn't any more" isn't super fun.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's my favorite fight in the entire game because it's the only one that actually felt challenging.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Geostomp posted:

A Sentinel blah blah blah. They really wanted to make up for how bad they were in the original game.

And the guy wanted to play the whole series through.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That silenced pistol is loving amazing though, I essentially had that and the Lancer as my loadout for the rest of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The silenced pistol has a big rear end headshot modifier, it's super good and you stink at shooting if you struggle in that section.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Kurieg posted:

The only thing about Citadel I don't like is the first sequence where you're stuck with the completely unmodded pistol, no medigel, and no other gear. The run from the spectre door to the car lot in particular is terrible with it's wonky cover and the fact that all the sight lines are skewed against you.

I realize that's partially the point but "turtling behind a potted plant and spamming concussive shot until the bad guys go away because you ran out of ammo and there isn't any more" isn't super fun.

Were you going for headshots? The M11 Suppressor has a ridiculous headshot modifier (x4 damage) that would have made up for your lack of armor/mod bonuses.

E:fb

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

Were you going for headshots? The M11 Suppressor has a ridiculous headshot modifier (x4 damage) that would have made up for your lack of armor/mod bonuses.

E:fb

And with an Engineer's Drone/Turret, you can basically kick people out of cover and one-shot them for the entire level.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MA-Horus posted:

That silenced pistol is loving amazing though, I essentially had that and the Lancer as my loadout for the rest of the game.

This guy knows what's up.
Worth doing ng+ twice just so I could do a third full run with mkX with V mods.

If rares and poo poo didn't suck so hard to get, I'd go for this in my MP loadouts too.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Error 404 posted:

This guy knows what's up.
Worth doing ng+ twice just so I could do a third full run with mkX with V mods.

If rares and poo poo didn't suck so hard to get, I'd go for this in my MP loadouts too.

The M11 is fairly easy to get to X. And the Lancer, like the Harrier, starts awesome at I amd just keeps getting better and better.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Going through citadel first as a biotic was almost a nightmare. Highly recommended if you found Mass Effect SP lacking in the challenge column.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I loved the silenced pistol as a Vanguard. Charge them then shoot them point blank in the head.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
The best fights in the game are both in Citadel: that armorless pistol run and when the combat simulator goes all hosed up

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
http://blog.bioware.com/2015/09/29/revisit-the-galaxy-aboard-a-new-mass-effect-theme-park-attraction/

what the

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like I will be visiting Great America for the first time since the 90s next year.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone alert Fox News, this might just be that fully interactive sex simulator the first Mass Effect was supposed to be.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lycus posted:

I loved the silenced pistol as a Vanguard. Charge them
I'm sorry, the rest of that sentence was unnecessary

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just got done with my playthrough of 2, and during the suicide mission I wondered why Miranda's always being led for the wrong choice. Like if you pick her as a team leader people point out it's a bad thing, but the biotic barrier it kind of implies she's a good choice when she isn't.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bobjr posted:

I just got done with my playthrough of 2, and during the suicide mission I wondered why Miranda's always being led for the wrong choice. Like if you pick her as a team leader people point out it's a bad thing, but the biotic barrier it kind of implies she's a good choice when she isn't.

And why isn't Thane a good choice for the vent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bobjr posted:

The opposite reading is true.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bobjr posted:

ME2 was really all over the place narratively as far as biotics go, mostly because any kind of non-red health bar invalidates almost every power except for Warp, and to a lesser extent Throw. Meaning the two most effective biotics in your party are Thane and Miranda. But the two most "powerful" biotics are Jack and Samara. I always love how they tease you with Jack's intro cutscene having her turn a Ymir into a pretzel, but then you get her and she has Pull and Shockwave. Her unique upgrade only boosts 1 of her 3 abilities because only 1 of them actually deals any kind of damage.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like I will be visiting Great America for the first time since the 90s next year.

I should go.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

It's my favorite ride in the park.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Error 404 posted:

It's my favorite ride in the park.

I heard it's racist against humans!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

I heard it's racist against humans!

It discriminates against the poor!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Error 404 posted:

It discriminates against the poor!
I hear when they built it they were given a slide rule and asked to just eyeball it!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Kurieg posted:

ME2 was really all over the place narratively as far as biotics go, mostly because any kind of non-red health bar invalidates almost every power except for Warp, and to a lesser extent Throw. Meaning the two most effective biotics in your party are Thane and Miranda. But the two most "powerful" biotics are Jack and Samara. I always love how they tease you with Jack's intro cutscene having her turn a Ymir into a pretzel, but then you get her and she has Pull and Shockwave. Her unique upgrade only boosts 1 of her 3 abilities because only 1 of them actually deals any kind of damage.

This was a problem with all of the biotics in cutscenes in 2 and 3. Look at Samara's biotic flying, throwing people around, breaking their necks with just a glance. Kasumi's super-jumping onto the gunship. Jack blowing the window down at Grissom Academy.

This isn't just ME, either. Most games that have powered characters do this. The cutscenes go BOOM-BOOM-BOOM because it's badass, then the gameplay only goes "pew-pew-pew" because otherwise it'd be shorter than the cutscenes.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

This was a problem with all of the biotics in cutscenes in 2 and 3. Look at Samara's biotic flying, throwing people around, breaking their necks with just a glance. Kasumi's super-jumping onto the gunship. Jack blowing the window down at Grissom Academy.

This isn't just ME, either. Most games that have powered characters do this. The cutscenes go BOOM-BOOM-BOOM because it's badass, then the gameplay only goes "pew-pew-pew" because otherwise it'd be shorter than the cutscenes.

There is a solution: Make a Dynasty Warriors spin-off set in the Mass Effect universe where all those cutscene powers are at your disposal. Mow through thousands of Cerberus and Reaper forces with the biggest, flashiest attacks imaginable.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bobjr posted:

People point out it"s a bad thing because they don't like her personally, it doesn't necessarily make her a bad field commander once you get down to it. She's also full of herself and of course she isn't going to like the idea that other people are stronger biotics than her, even though it's obvious to most that Jack is Biotic Jesus in comparison the rest of the squad.

It's all intended to make you second guess yourself, pause and consider who you should pick instead of simply making it a 100% dumb stated non-choice of "X is the best person for this task, are we all agreed?" *rapturous applause from the team*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

You're using Shockwave wrong. It's fantastic against armour even though it's red on the wheel. You can still use "invalidated" powers, often very effectively.

Thane is an effective biotic but not because his biotics are especially good. Miranda similar only she's not actually very good, just a mediocre jack of all.

Thane and Jack are the undisputed best party members for the suicide missions.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

QuantaStarFire posted:

Mow through thousands of Cerberus and Reaper forces with the biggest, flashiest attacks imaginable.

I already do this in multiplayer with combo esplosions!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

sassassin posted:

You're using Shockwave wrong. It's fantastic against armour even though it's red on the wheel. You can still use "invalidated" powers, often very effectively.

Thane is an effective biotic but not because his biotics are especially good. Miranda similar only she's not actually very good, just a mediocre jack of all.

I wasn't denigrating shockwave, I absolutely love me2 shockwave when it's on Shepard. But Jack doesn't know how to use it effectively and it behaves oddly when you command her to use it, as well as the increased partner power cool down.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

Thane is awesome but I wouldn't bring him on the "biotic bubble" segment, he can't use his sniper rifle effectively. That's where someone like Grunt shines.

I'd bring Mordin before Jack along on the suicide mission because his flammable/inflammable (forget which, doesn't matter) attack is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

I wasn't denigrating shockwave, I absolutely love me2 shockwave when it's on Shepard. But Jack doesn't know how to use it effectively and it behaves oddly when you command her to use it, as well as the increased partner power cool down.

Using Shockwave to mow down entire rows of annoying husks was a great power trip for ME2. I was very disappointed to see it was changed in ME3 to a line of sight air power rather than a ground wave. Even moreso after I learned that a glitch in the programming made it useless after upgrading.

• Locked thread