Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the only "special" die that isn't a plain plastic D# that I own. I got it using points so it didn't cost me anything but it's a neat gimmicky thing, and gigantic.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/deaa/

wargames uber alles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Radish posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but battlecon is really boring. I kickstarted it and got my copy and played it a few times with different people and everyone was really "meh" on it and didn't want to waste time getting more into it.

I think one of the issues with selling BattleCON is like the fighting games it's based on, you have to be willing to take lumps and get better. I've noticed it's easy for players to discouraged if they don't do well early on, and it definitely can overwhelm with the available choices.

Indolent Bastard posted:

GIS confirms this statement as true.

Yeah, I like a fine-looking set of dice, but if you're not designing with clarity and readability in mind... you have to remember they're tools first and art objects second. Q-Workshop doesn't. But then, most of the time I'm just "show me the white dice with black numbers", so I'm clearly not the target audience. I do like glow-in-the-dark dice, though. Easy to find with the lights off when they roll under things.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm more fond of dice with weird stuff like my d3 and d2 (d6s with 1,2 or 1,2,3 repeating), or the d10s with the numbers written out in Farsi or Polish.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think one of the issues with selling BattleCON is like the fighting games it's based on, you have to be willing to take lumps and get better. I've noticed it's easy for players to discouraged if they don't do well early on, and it definitely can overwhelm with the available choices.

I also feel like one of the barriers is, again like the fighting games it's based on, getting good requires a certain degree of dedication sitting down and playing regularly with and against the same characters until you feel you're ready to move on to someone new. It throws a million character options at you but if you bounce from character to character it seems like it's easy to get frustrated having to learn how a whole new set of moves work while also having to learn how your opponent's work on top of it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My initial impression of kingdom death:
Save or die.
Random events? Save or die.
Make a choice? You can save or die now, or save or die later.

I guess if you can get behind the descriptions of the game world you can look past the random save or die nature. Like critical hit a lion and rip off his, and I quote, "ding dong". It gives him the status "missing his ding dong". This is world building.

At random points you can influence the general philosophy of your villagers, like be rear end in a top hat parents or nice parents to the kids you have. These decisions make the save or die elements randomly easier or harder.

Sometimes if you pass the save or die events you get +1 strength.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LordAba posted:

I guess if you can get behind the descriptions of the game world you can look past the random save or die nature. Like critical hit a lion and rip off his, and I quote, "ding dong". It gives him the status "missing his ding dong". This is world building.

Oh my god, does Kingdom Death honestly use the word "ding dong?" The whiplash is fantastic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Oh my god, does Kingdom Death honestly use the word "ding dong?" The whiplash is fantastic.

Well, it's not a game for adults.

boutique nightmare horror

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Wow, that is hilarious. I am glad the weird fetish minis turned me off the project, because there is no way I can take a game about detaching lion ding dongs seriously.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

$2 million, eh?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

$2 million, eh?

I seem to recall the gameplay being mostly like Talisman with no sense of humor and minis combat, but gently caress if I'm going to double-check.

In brighter news, I just got the receipt for my Pixel Tactics package to double-check.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fred Hicks posted an interesting article about the possibility of a kickstarter in 2016 to pay for printing physical copies of stuff that's currently available digital-only, including upcoming things like Pilgrims of the Flying Temple and the Majestic-12 book for Atomic Robo. Fred raises interesting points about his worry of of "double-dipping" the fanbase and how it'd be kickstarting something that was technically already kickstarted and completed.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
well, isn't that what Rich Burlew did for Order of the Stick? A lot of people wanted those physical books, although that was a reprinting, if it makes a difference.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sort of; OotS wasn't made with crowdfunding originally, but some of this content was.

Fred Hicks posted:

But therein exists a bit of a dilemma. As noted before, these are all (well, these are mostly, but close enough to all) things that have had their development budget crowdfunded already. Folks may have assumed (consciously or otherwise) that that funding covered everything that would be needed to take the books to print. And regardless of that assumption, it may simply appear that we are “double dipping” on those various projects, rather than seeing this as a follow-up funding effort covering a separate segment of what these products could be.

I think the whole Pathfinder MMO thing is weighing on his mind, but I think Fred has enough goodwill and faith from the community that nobody's going to think he's pulling a fast one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the whole Pathfinder MMO thing is weighing on his mind, but I think Fred has enough goodwill and faith from the community that nobody's going to think he's pulling a fast one.

It's kind of weird to do as a Kickstarter rather than print-to-order or the like. It feels like the use of Kickstarter as more a marketing tool than a practical one, which is fair enough and I wouldn't resent it, but it feels weird for it start becoming a default means of publishing for smaller companies.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They can sculpt a penis, dozens of penises, but they can't use the word penis. Amazing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What...what do you do with White Lion balls as a resource?

...how many people does it feed?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's kind of weird to do as a Kickstarter rather than print-to-order or the like. It feels like the use of Kickstarter as more a marketing tool than a practical one, which is fair enough and I wouldn't resent it, but it feels weird for it start becoming a default means of publishing for smaller companies.

You get better quality (and better costs) when you can do a traditional print run instead of POD. There's definitely a legitimate case for "Remember that digital stuff you kickstarted? Now we want to make it physical too."

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
iOS yelling simulator Spaceteam is getting a card game spinoff: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mathewsisson/spaceteam-0

Looks.. eh? Cheap and easy to teach but the gameplay looks really subpar compared to Space Alert.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LordAba posted:

My initial impression of kingdom death:
Save or die.
Random events? Save or die.
Make a choice? You can save or die now, or save or die later.

Everyone else's initial impression of Kingdom Rape was the same. If you didn't save your money, you can loving die.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bubble-T posted:

iOS yelling simulator Spaceteam is getting a card game spinoff: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mathewsisson/spaceteam-0

Looks.. eh? Cheap and easy to teach but the gameplay looks really subpar compared to Space Alert.
I dunno if I would compare it to Space Alert the same way that I would compare Space Cadets. From a cursory looks it looks to have a similar feel to the Spaceteam app, but instead of shouting about people doing stuff, you are shouting to get a particular tool. Looks alright to me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

inklesspen posted:

You get better quality (and better costs) when you can do a traditional print run instead of POD. There's definitely a legitimate case for "Remember that digital stuff you kickstarted? Now we want to make it physical too."

I would think this would be a prime candidate for Actual Preorders akin to GMT's P500. He could offer it below MSRP to those who preorder, with controlled costs, and inventory left over. KS wouldn't take a cut. The primary burden for him would be getting the word out, which might be reason enough to do KS.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I dunno if I would compare it to Space Alert the same way that I would compare Space Cadets. From a cursory looks it looks to have a similar feel to the Spaceteam app, but instead of shouting about people doing stuff, you are shouting to get a particular tool. Looks alright to me.

Yeah, it looks okay from the video. On the flipside one of the people behind Exploding Kittens is involved, and they're doing a stupid NSFW expansion, so we're contractually obligated to poo poo on it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Since I don't think anyone posted this yet, I got an email from Level 99's fulfilment agent for BattleCON yesterday:

quote:

We are acting as the order fulfilment agent for Level 99 Games and are soon to dispatch your order. This project is expected to be dispatched between 28/09/2015 and 19/10/2015, these dates may change.

So hey, looks like my stuff is actually going to arrive soon. :toot:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, I might back it still because I like spaceteam, I like the idea, the gameplay seems alright (and pretty drat quick, 5 minutes per game tops) and just not get the stupid lovely NSFW stuff.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Spaceteam needs a button you can press any time to play that sick theme.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
4 hours left for Bombshell: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombshellminis/bombshell-babes-2-female-miniatures

Some cool models. Gynneth is my favorite, though the orc comes close.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The new edition of Delta Green seems to be a few days (weeks?) away from starting and they've stuck up a form to gauge interest in the potential supplements for it:

quote:

Which DELTA GREEN sourcebooks do you most want to see?
Please register your level of interest for each as compared to other candidates in this list. Authors are tentative.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aQTD1FJTU49JP_hSF6xQvJS7sUVs5P_UTn-R1bj4wtQ/viewform

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
:pervert:

Garbage Day

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I'm glad you posted the link. I was looking for this the other day and couldn't remember the simple name for some reason. :downs: Backed!

I also just redeemed by coupon for my hardcover copy of The Thin Blue Line. :D

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Skutter posted:

I'm glad you posted the link. I was looking for this the other day and couldn't remember the simple name for some reason. :downs: Backed!

I also just redeemed by coupon for my hardcover copy of The Thin Blue Line. :D

Thank you! I remember Sinewave also saying he may be interested but I can't PM to make sure he knows it went up. Hope you like it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ryutamma has begun shipping! :woop:

e:

quote:

I expect all books, for Kickstarter backers and pre-orderers and the like, to arrive globally before October 31st. Please do not contact us about missing shipments before that, give it time; but we'll send out another notice around 10/31 just as a reminder to make sure everyone got their reward.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
And on the heels of the Ryuutama announcement, a TBZ kickstarter update with early drafts of several of the stretch goals. I'd pretty much forgotten about...all of these.

And I really wish I'd had the Terra gunslinger archetype to play with when I was playing the Dead Man's gun.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 27, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I brought them up here awhile back under "Kickstarter material I've been waiting the longest for" (which is followed by the latter half of Low Life Miniatures and SYMBIOSIS as runners-up, though the latter is probably dead).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ryuutama has begun shipping! :woop:

Speaking of which, has there been any news about how the book is going to be available retail in Europe? I didn't get in on the KS because it would have cost me $80 for a physical copy, but I'd quite like to get one when it eventually becomes available. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 28, 2015

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Finally put Catacombs together, missing three tiny discs but no big deal I guess, but the walls for the board make no sense to me. Also it's an okay game I guess.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Do you have a picture of the walls for the board? That's the one thing the original game really desperately needed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fred Hicks posted an interesting article about the possibility of a kickstarter in 2016 to pay for printing physical copies of stuff that's currently available digital-only, including upcoming things like Pilgrims of the Flying Temple and the Majestic-12 book for Atomic Robo. Fred raises interesting points about his worry of of "double-dipping" the fanbase and how it'd be kickstarting something that was technically already kickstarted and completed.

This sounds like the sort of thing GMT Games' P500 already does, just that you'd do it through Kickstarter if you're not GMT Games and can't/don't want to set up that sort of infrastructure separately.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

Finally put Catacombs together, missing three tiny discs but no big deal I guess, but the walls for the board make no sense to me. Also it's an okay game I guess.

How do the walls make no sense?

We played this at the weekend. Either we were playing wrong (likely) or the game is absurdly hard and relies on a DM letting you win (the difficulty of healing, poison cards, etc)

Also it has player elimination.

Nice art though

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Evil Hat is big enough to get into brick-and-mortar. Most FLGS's won't stock Print-On-Demand, largely because the books are non-returnable. So they can do print-on-demand, but it doesn't give them what they're really looking for: Getting these books on shelves. That's where a lot of Evil Hat's money comes from. If most of your customers would be buying online in the first place, then POD makes a lot of sense. But if you're more counting on physical stores, then it's not such a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mojo Jojo posted:

How do the walls make no sense?

We played this at the weekend. Either we were playing wrong (likely) or the game is absurdly hard and relies on a DM letting you win (the difficulty of healing, poison cards, etc)

Also it has player elimination.

Nice art though

Huh, I played it with a couple of friends last weekend and we had a pretty easy time winning- we came close to losing a player or two in the last fight, but otherwise weren't in a lot of danger. The wizard's frost spell being used to stop the boss once all the other monsters were gone helped a lot, as did the fact that none of us were great at aiming but the players were a bit better than the DM. We didn't take that much damage per fight other than the boss fight because we could usually kill a few monsters before the DM's first turn, and we had enough gold to go into the penultimate fight at full health.

Also the monster with the rolling attack was deceptively hard to actually hit with.

• Locked thread