Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, far be it for Toei to half arse their stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

At this rate we're still going to be celebrating Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary when the 25th hits. Uninterrupted merchandising bonanza.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Travis343 posted:

At this rate we're still going to be celebrating Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary when the 25th hits. Uninterrupted merchandising bonanza.

good

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It bugs me they are calling it season 3. The first Crystal was announced as being 26 episodes but for some reason they keep calling 14-26 the second season. Yes they aired in a different year, yes it's a different story line, but the first part of 14 concludes the Dark Kingdom story before it moves on and they all aired with no break in the middle. (granted the airing could just be how Japan does shows with out breaking between. I admit the only other Japanese shows I watch are super sentai and Kamen rider and the new ones do air immediately the next week after the old one ends). The only reason Crystal was split between two years though it because of the scheduling which only aired two episodes a month.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's just being pedantic. They just call it seasons to differentiate between major story arcs, that's all there is to it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
gently caress that.

Crystal's not worth giving any more time to.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

itll have new staff since the producer and director both quit toei after crystal

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Its the principle of the issue, which is more sterile Sailor Moon made with the sole purpose of merchandising a bunch of poo poo.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I'll be tentatively excited, since I don't see Crystal as a spit in the face like 90% of the fandom thinks it is. Crystal wasn't amazing by any stretch, but I liked seeing parts of the manga adapted. Also new staff sounds at least vaguely promising.

Milli fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 28, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Tell you what, if they get some sort of madman like Konaka or Imagawa at the seat and not gently caress about with it too much (aye right that'll happen) then maybe, MAYBE we might get something that's not an utter disaster this time around.

I'm not putting good money on it, Toei is Toei after all.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

merchandising a bunch of poo poo was also why the first anime was made, actually

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't watched the "second season" of Crystal, but I will definitely turn in for my favorite Sailor Moon arc. If it's still bad, I can just stop watching it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Its almost like a monster of the week shojou anime is all about buying poo poo and isn't so much about the *art*.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its almost like a monster of the week shojou anime is all about buying poo poo and isn't so much about the *art*.

Maybe not but if you make crap no one is going to care to buy the poo poo (And you can sort of see it in SMC's case; by the time Crystal ended, all the merch had reverted to the Classic designs).

Fluffdaddy posted:

How have they been unprofessional?

The anoucements being a mess, the QC being clearly non existant regardless of the extended time frame, the non US licencing being some sort of crude joke (I can't think of one UK viewer who went though all that bullshit to get NicoNico working), a few things, really.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 28, 2015

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not arguing that but you can at least conduct yourself with something coming close to professionalism regardless, ya know?

How have they been unprofessional?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fluffdaddy posted:

all media is about selling things to people but the original anime managed to be almost completely good anyway

lots of shows in fact manage to be quality while still existing to sell poo poo, probably even a few animes

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Travis343 posted:

all media is about selling things to people but the original anime managed to be almost completely good anyway

yeah this

Crystal can't even properly sell things except women's hygiene products and other miscellaneous garbage.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Travis343 posted:

lots of shows in fact manage to be quality while still existing to sell poo poo, probably even a few animes

That's some rose tinted nostalgia. The original show was a mess and had as many problems as the new one. It's just you are willing to ignore it's problems but not the new ones.

Is Crystal great? Of course not. It's mediocre at best. But some of you are acting like it shot your dog and that's it's very existence is some kind of personal affront. Just don't watch it goddamn

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

That's some rose tinted nostalgia. The original show was a mess and had as many problems as the new one. It's just you are willing to ignore it's problems but not the new ones.

Is Crystal great? Of course not. It's mediocre at best. But some of you are acting like it shot your dog and that's it's very existence is some kind of personal affront. Just don't watch it goddamn
The original had its issues to be sure but I have a very hard time buying the idea that they compare to the genuine clusterfuck Crystal was and compared to its contemporaries (JJBA being the big one) Crystal is to be found sorely lacking.

And, frankly speaking, I don't think being a cartoon made to market merchandise gives its creators a free pass to make crap.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have the rose-tinted nostalgia of "never watched any Sailor Moon until it began airing on Hulu last year" and I love the original, while Crystal alternately bored me to tears and amused me with its corner-cutting.

I'm partway through Super S right now (that's where Hulu is in its release schedule), and while it's nowhere near as great as S was, it's still a lot of fun. For as many horror stories as I'd heard about it, I'm pleasantly surprised.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'll grant that I am a huge Sailor Moon knucklehead from back in the day but that's still from like, my early 20s. It's not like a sacred childhood memory. I rewatched the entire series last year including seeing Stars for the first time and heyyyy, it's mostly really good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ALFbrot posted:

I have the rose-tinted nostalgia of "never watched any Sailor Moon until it began airing on Hulu last year" and I love the original, while Crystal alternately bored me to tears and amused me with its corner-cutting.

I'm partway through Super S right now (that's where Hulu is in its release schedule), and while it's nowhere near as great as S was, it's still a lot of fun. For as many horror stories as I'd heard about it, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, Super S is a lot of fun, especially if you have somebody there to make fun of it with you. The Amazon Trio are all kind of skeevy and pathetic as hell, and there are some really awesome moments when when they call each other out on it during moments of like total un-self-awareness. They also take a couple of moments to lampoon the established trope of "every season has a series of episodes where badguys unwittingly target one of the Sailor Guardians". It also has some really good, frank reactions from the Sailors regarding the absurdity of the monsters that they're fighting. Most episodes have at least Sailor Moon, and usually anybody else present, just kind of beside themselves with how dumb or outlandish this week's monster is.

As an overall arc across the whole season, Super S is dumb as hell. Taking it one episode at a time, though, it's a pretty fun ride.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Naru completely ignoring Tiger's Eye in favor of Umino is one of the best moments. The show takes a big dive once the quartet shows up, they're nowhere near as funny.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If the second half of the original anime had any issue it was never knowing when to just have the big bad just put all his/her cards on the table for endgame.

Half of stars' second half could have been excised for a tighter paced story

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

If the second half of the original anime had any issue it was never knowing when to just have the big bad just put all his/her cards on the table for endgame.

Half of stars' second half could have been excised for a tighter paced story

I think that's because they never had any idea what the endgame for the villains was until they were plotting the last ten episodes anyway when they were writing the original anime.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's probably the Super S musical but might as well have it on the record

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

If it is, I hope that they bring back laser pegasus.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

If it is, I hope that they bring back laser pegasus.

I have a vauge idea what that'd imply but what is it?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I have a vauge idea what that'd imply but what is it?

The first stage musical for Super S used a laser to draw Pegasus on the stage and had somebody mic'ed and off-stage reading the dialog. It was exactly as cheesy as it sounds.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope they make a Chrystal adaption of the whole manga, just so that I can see STAR GENTLE UTERUS again.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

If anybody cares Crystal's english dub is starting next weekend. :geno:

Still no word on S in the US. And anybody who bought part 2 of R in the US should call Warner to get a replacement for disc two because Viz hosed up and put a version of episode 80 on the disc with a hosed up audio sync near the end.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Still no word on S in the US. And anybody who bought part 2 of R in the US should call Warner to get a replacement for disc two because Viz hosed up and put a version of episode 80 on the disc with a hosed up audio sync near the end.

Where's the English dub going? Hulu?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

would that be DVD, Blu-ray or both on the disc 2 audio?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's both.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 12, 2015

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

For those interested the Australian release of S1P1 is available on Madman's website for preorder for ~$56 shipped for the LE.

Also it looks like Crystal Part 1 (episodes 1-14) are coming out before S comes out at all here. Same price point as the classic series according to Amazon's Preorder page ($40 for the DVD, $80 for the LE.)

Speaking of Crystal, finally got around to watching past episode 9.

Its... Alright, I guess? Lazy as poo poo and the awful shipping was handled about as well as I thought it would be (though it was made better by my insistence on adding happy Kirby music to the scenes that were intended to be dramatic or sad). Second half is much improved if only because it stops really deviating from the manga. Though Black Moon is mostly crap because its the "take the teammates away for a while" arc. Maybe infinity will be better.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 27, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-08/3rd-season-of-sailor-moon-crystal-spring-premiere-new-staff-revealed/.97352

Welp. Season 3 confirmed.

Was season 2 any kind of an upgrade from the first?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Season 2 was just the second cour of the first season. So probably not.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

I'm quite doubtful of season 3 being anything better. The fact that they're giving the animation director more duties after the quality we got from cour 1 and 2 is worrisome. I will be pleasantly surprised if we can animation equal to any of the pretty cure series.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Well for what its worth the one key image we have looks better than anything that came outta season 1/2.

Huge improvement.

EDIT: The official website seems to not like hotlinking.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 27, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I was poking around on Hulu to see how they did with Sailor Stars (Answer; just about par for VIz's efforts which is to say everything is toilets Video Wise) and, curious I poked around. Both Stars and Evangelion aried at around the same time.

This bit of dumb trivia amuses me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

At least Madman's DVDs are of an acceptable quality. Shame Subatomic can't stop their bizarre almost-fetish of miraculously creating new video errors with the cutout mouths and eyes.

Honestly at this point I'm only grabbing Viz's release for the collection (and the art cards/coins), I'll use Madman's to actually watch the show, that is, when it actually arrives since the postal service keeps dragging their feet on getting my crap to me.

• Locked thread