Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

isndl posted:

I think I might have heard somewhere that headshots ignore effective range anyways?

Headshots just double the damage your shots do, they are affected by range the exact same way as bodyshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I dont think this game has any bullet drop off. Has anyone done any research into that?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
It has damage falloff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Tried Phoenix now that he's on free rotation and I have to say he's really nice for a fast, aggressive play style. He doesn't have downtime waiting for his health to regen like Sawbonez so you can keep pushing and flanking constantly, on top of his faster movement and access to the KEK. Only thing that really slows your momentum is blowing through your ammo and having to scavenge it somehow.

Downside is his loadout cards are somewhat limited to buffing either his heal or his revive, so you're going to have to make a tradeoff there. Lots of people swear by Get Up (and I can see why, I can feel the difference without it just as the person doing revives) but I'm liking Extra Supplies to enable spamming the healing pulse more. For pub play I'm perfectly happy giving up Get Up, but I'm not sure how I would play him in comp.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

His heal is pretty underwhelming solely for the fact that it can't be used on partial cooldown even if it's not used fully and max charge is 80hp.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The area heal can be stopped by ammo crates, cover, stairs or being in midair because it's not actually a sphere of healing. Having said that, Phoenix's loadout cards are a lot better than other characters because good guns are paired with good perks without a single 'best' loadout.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

isndl posted:

Tried Phoenix now that he's on free rotation and I have to say he's really nice for a fast, aggressive play style. He doesn't have downtime waiting for his health to regen like Sawbonez so you can keep pushing and flanking constantly, on top of his faster movement and access to the KEK. Only thing that really slows your momentum is blowing through your ammo and having to scavenge it somehow.

Downside is his loadout cards are somewhat limited to buffing either his heal or his revive, so you're going to have to make a tradeoff there. Lots of people swear by Get Up (and I can see why, I can feel the difference without it just as the person doing revives) but I'm liking Extra Supplies to enable spamming the healing pulse more. For pub play I'm perfectly happy giving up Get Up, but I'm not sure how I would play him in comp.

Phoenix is extremely niche in competitive play since he's only viable in situations in which Aura and Sparks aren't. In the current competitive meta and with the current set of maps that is drat close to 'never'. The healing wave is only good at healing yourself and the self-revive is a tragic joke of an ability that you'll be lucky to be able to use even once in a full stopwatch match.

The main problem though is that his loadouts suck since he either has to use a card with the Crotzni (which is very close to the worst SMG post-nerf) and Get Up, or a KEK-10 card without Get Up which is basically unacceptable in comp play.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

His heal is pretty underwhelming solely for the fact that it can't be used on partial cooldown even if it's not used fully and max charge is 80hp.

If you're willing to accept that you won't be topping everybody off to full all the time like you're playing Sparks, it's not so bad. Less worrying about missed packs, charging up a heal is fast, and you can sprint while charging. Fits a momentum play style very nicely where you want to keep moving as much as possible, and mercs have natural regen anyways for the last few hitpoints.

Bloodmobile posted:

Phoenix is extremely niche in competitive play since he's only viable in situations in which Aura and Sparks aren't. In the current competitive meta and with the current set of maps that is drat close to 'never'. The healing wave is only good at healing yourself and the self-revive is a tragic joke of an ability that you'll be lucky to be able to use even once in a full stopwatch match.

The main problem though is that his loadouts suck since he either has to use a card with the Crotzni (which is very close to the worst SMG post-nerf) and Get Up, or a KEK-10 card without Get Up which is basically unacceptable in comp play.

I definitely wouldn't want Phoenix as a primary medic for comp, but as a secondary medic after Sawbonez I'm thinking he could be better than expected. Bringing a KEK and extra 20 HP over Aura/Sparks is great for any fight after all, and sometimes a team fight ends up with your team winning at the cost of the medic being downed; Phoenix could pick himself up and let the team focus on the objective in those cases. Probably only would want him on attack than defense though, unless your team struggles to keep an Aura station up or something.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

isndl posted:

If you're willing to accept that you won't be topping everybody off to full all the time like you're playing Sparks, it's not so bad. Less worrying about missed packs, charging up a heal is fast, and you can sprint while charging. Fits a momentum play style very nicely where you want to keep moving as much as possible, and mercs have natural regen anyways for the last few hitpoints.

I mean I basically almost never heal teammates as Sparks, just revive them at full HP. Her medpacks are mostly for keeping herself alive.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

I mean I basically almost never heal teammates as Sparks, just revive them at full HP. Her medpacks are mostly for keeping herself alive.

That's the thing, you can play Phoenix almost the same way. Maybe be a little more generous with the heal when you're off cooldown since your revive isn't as strong as Sparks', but half the time when someone else gets healed it's because I'm topping myself off. Pubstar medic like Sparks, only you get to be in the thick of things instead of hanging back.

Also if you're interested in XP farming, you get Health Insurance XP for fixing up a minor 5 HP scrape. It's hilarious when that turns into a 100 XP payout because the guy then goes off to kill someone.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Oh yeah that new XP thing is a boon to all the medics. Now we can almost get as much support XP as spamming ammo packs :v: KEK-10 with drilled and healing reach has been my favorite loadout so far with him.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

isndl posted:

I definitely wouldn't want Phoenix as a primary medic for comp, but as a secondary medic after Sawbonez I'm thinking he could be better than expected. Bringing a KEK and extra 20 HP over Aura/Sparks is great for any fight after all, and sometimes a team fight ends up with your team winning at the cost of the medic being downed; Phoenix could pick himself up and let the team focus on the objective in those cases. Probably only would want him on attack than defense though, unless your team struggles to keep an Aura station up or something.

The KEK-10 is the best SMG for sure, but the REVIVR is also insanely good for dealing damage in it's own right. 130 damage headshots with 0 spread, 0 recoil and you don't even have to be scoped in. And the 20 HP is a negligible advantage when you consider that Phoenix's hitbox is way bigger than the female medics' and his movespeed is much lower as well. Sparks is better at staying alive, better at reviving and comparable in DPS.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

The KEK-10 is the best SMG for sure, but the REVIVR is also insanely good for dealing damage in it's own right. 130 damage headshots with 0 spread, 0 recoil and you don't even have to be scoped in. And the 20 HP is a negligible advantage when you consider that Phoenix's hitbox is way bigger than the female medics' and his movespeed is much lower as well. Sparks is better at staying alive, better at reviving and comparable in DPS.

Yeah, but that's 130 damage on a headshot on a fully charged shot. Charge too early? Lose the shot or bleed battery. Charge too late? They can kill you easily in the time it takes to charge the shot. Miss the head and hit the body instead, it's half damage and they'll clean you up. She can fight in close quarters if she needs to, but she's still fragile and not suited for it. If she can dictate the terms of engagement to favor her all the time sure, she's better, but sometimes you're forced into unfavorable fights because you'll lose the objective otherwise.

Hitbox size doesn't matter too much, speed matters more but it's not like Phoenix is in a bad spot for either of those. Sawbonez gets praised in part because he's tanky, Phoenix is pretty much exactly halfway between him and Sparks in most respects. I'm almost tempted to call him a jack of all trades, especially if you grab a loadout with Mechanic and act as a lovely Bushwhacker for repairs/disarms.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

This game is really fun- got about 15 hours into it so far. Far and away this is the best F2P shooter I've ever played. I'm surprised it's not more active or getting more attention due to how good it is. I think a large part of it is that there are a ridiculous number of people who weirdly perpetually hate Splash Damage because of Brink, the only bad game they ever made (and having played it, it honestly wasn't as bad as they made it out to be.)

Just grinded up to 50,000 credits so I unlocked Red Eye on a whim. He's really fun to play, decent at fragging, doesn't have much utility past that though. Having used the Dreiss and M14 rifles both, I think the M14's excellent damage for poor ROF and spread is a good tradeoff whereas I've had more trouble getting frags with the Dreiss although it's quite usable. Are the bronze M14 loadouts any good for Red Eye, or should I stick with the Dreiss cards? I haven't done any competitive play whatsoever yet so I don't know what kind of card bonuses I should be leaning toward.

Going to grab Proxy next but after that I'm unsure as to which medic is worth it. Aura is fine but I dislike the Blishlok.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If you want a Redeye M14 loadout, I would say take the G41 - the perks are mostly about meleeing dudes, but the other M14 cards are just as bland or closer to useless, and you get a secondary that isn't garbage. On the whole though Redeye doesn't bring anything to the table that another class doesn't do better, unless you're a genuine wizard with smoke. I wouldn't recommend bringing him to comp unless you've practiced him extensively first.

As far as medics go, Sawbonez if you want something steady and tanky, Sparks if you want to hang back and support your team at range, and Phoenix if you want to run around a lot and never stand in one spot. I'd recommend Sawbonez since he's one of the cheaper 30k mercs if nothing else.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I hardly play anymore but I bought the starter pack for $22 over the summer sale and have never regretted it. All the mercs it includes are pretty much bread and butter and the 50k extra credits lets you buy cards for all of them or another merc you might want. Consider it if you really like the game.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I like(d?) this game but I would like it more if they had more players. The last couple times that I tried playing, it seemed near-impossible to get into a full game.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Sputnik posted:

I like(d?) this game but I would like it more if they had more players. The last couple times that I tried playing, it seemed near-impossible to get into a full game.

That's bizarre, I've never heard anyone having that problem. The game averages ~3k concurrent players and has never dipped below a thousand since it left closed beta, which is more than enough players to have dozens of full servers for both game modes 24/7.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 26, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sputnik posted:

I've noticed this with the latest patch. Before, it seemed the matchmaker would prioritize filling up servers. If you only started a match with 4 players total, within a few minutes the server would be full. It doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I keep landing on underpopulated servers and nobody else is joining the match.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
They really just don't want people to play Phantom any more, do they. In a random pub, he manages to be 'mediocre', given all he's good for is fragging; If you play anything even vaguely organised, he becomes a total anchor.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Phantom was always garbage in comp play. Even back when pubbies cried 'OP' he was way worse than a Nader or a Fragger at actually killing people. The armor and the katana just made it so that Phantom had the lowest skill floor because you didn't have to know how to aim or anything. All you had to do was press the armor button and run up close and spam M1. As a result, more people were dominating pubs as a Phantom than as a Fragger or a Vassili even though those classes were (and are) way stronger overall.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 27, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Nader is best fragging class

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Pubs are also insanely unaware and get surprised by him easily. Same reason Spy does so well in pubs in TF2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My only problem with phantom was that if I saw him, started backing up and firing at him and hit every shot that it still wouldn't matter because of that bullshit extra health it gave him. Now the cloaks been nerfed I don't really care about him so much. People who use him to flank are pains in the rear end though.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Went up against a guy who was cheating- whatever cheat he had I haven't seen before, he could one-shot kill with any weapon. He would charge in and spray with the KEK-10 and take out our entire team all at once. At the end of the match, he had 158 kills and 50,000 points. The other team was so bad we still won the match :psyduck:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Dealing with Phantom in a 1v1 is rough because he's got near Rhino levels of HP with his cloak on, so even if you spot him before he gets an attack off he probably has time to get in your face. Then you get power-stabbed for most of your health if not all of it, and you gotta somehow bust through his entire health pool before he can finish you. Shotgun classes can pull it off sometimes, Rifle/SMG classes have a lot more trouble.

Bilal posted:

Went up against a guy who was cheating- whatever cheat he had I haven't seen before, he could one-shot kill with any weapon. He would charge in and spray with the KEK-10 and take out our entire team all at once. At the end of the match, he had 158 kills and 50,000 points. The other team was so bad we still won the match :psyduck:

That kind of hack was standard prior to the new anti-cheat. Now it's pretty rare, but I've seen it again once (level 1 Skyhammer instakilling with a single M4 headshot across the map repeatedly), maybe one or two aimbots, and a couple of what felt like trigger bots. As far as free to play games go I think it's doing alright, there are still a lot of people who are quick to call hacks though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was playing a match with a bunch of goons a few days ago and ran into the same type of hack. We were in a hallway and this guy rounds the corner and OHK's every single person in it. Reported him and called him out and he left the match very quickly.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

dogstile posted:

My only problem with phantom was that if I saw him, started backing up and firing at him and hit every shot that it still wouldn't matter because of that bullshit extra health it gave him. Now the cloaks been nerfed I don't really care about him so much. People who use him to flank are pains in the rear end though.

Yeah it's actually kind of loving baffling that they reduced his HP since that means they had to make him faster at the same time. I play Sparks 99% of the time so just walljumping away while charging the REVIVR then turning around and popping them is pretty easy. Haven't met a single competent phantom since they ruined the melee.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Basically, he doesn't need a nerf or buff, he needs an actual reason to exist right now, given Fraggers/Skyhammer give you everything he does in kill potential, with better longetivity, ammo or AOE, and neither need to expose themselves to instant death from a third party like Phantoms melee does.

And all this is before you deal with bullshit like 'slowdown when using melee can make you out of range and decloaked, so now you die like a little bitch to no effect'.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Phantom does seem to have a weird niche in Execution mode, since he can spot which way the enemy team is moving and make picks on important classes. That being said, you'd have to actually be playing Execution mode.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Execution mode is just medic trains to me, with occasional Skyhammer support.

Oh, and Fletcher/Fragger to root out Aura strongpoints.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Execution mode is just medic trains to me, with occasional Skyhammer support.

Oh, and Fletcher/Fragger to root out Aura strongpoints.

All oltl will have loads more medics. But it's interesting because the value they put on the engineer class with it being the CS mode. So yeah need 1 or 2 engineers. 1 sky hammer and everyone else should be medic. The round will be over before you use all your ammo, generally.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Look at the crazy person who sees Execution Mode ever have a bomb plant beyond 'summon back the last players so the round doesn't time out'.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Phantom was a poor idea from a conceptual standpoint, he has no place in the game. I do feel bad for people who spent $ on him but the game is better off with him effectively being sidelined.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd rather they committed to his original concept - Make melee his primary weapon, strip the SMG, and keep him fast. The Cloak mechanic being variable (and affected by peoples graphic settings, gamma, all that usual poo poo) is terrible in every game it's ever been implemented in; If you're going to make him invisible (and being called Phantom, you're rather locked into that idea) then he needs to be actually invisible, even if it means you have to do other junk like make his decloak incredibly obvious to counteract it.

E: This is not to say he should really be in the game at all; But right now he sits awkwardly even in a public as a choice, and for Comp only around 5 Mercs might as well exist.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Almost all of the mercs are used in at least some form in competitive play, even Arty sees some niche use. The only mercs that don't see any play at all are Proxy, Redeye and Phantom. Proxy and Redeye share the problem of there being mercs do what they do except much better (Bush and Fletch for Proxy, Vas for Redeye). Phantom's in a unique position in that he's an underpowered merc that fills a role that doesn't need to be filled. The 5v5 format just doesn't leave room for someone to be a dedicated backstabber, that role is usually filled by an engineer because he actually has an upside outside of combat.

The hacky way they fixed the beyblade exploit made it so that trying to use melee as your primary is really frustrating right now but he still has the KEK-10 and the cloak does give him some extra health, so you can still use him to dominate pubs if you're good and really want to.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 28, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just found this game over the weekend and played a few rounds. I still haven't seen attackers win a single round in random play, especially when all you have to do is stop the EV over and over. Get a couple of sky hammers and bomb the bejeezus out of it anytime it moves.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Just found this game over the weekend and played a few rounds. I still haven't seen attackers win a single round in random play, especially when all you have to do is stop the EV over and over. Get a couple of sky hammers and bomb the bejeezus out of it anytime it moves.

attacking is hard for sure but doable. You have to not care about your k:d ratio and thats hard for people. You dont want to be a feeder but sometimes you gotta sacrifice a life.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

Almost all of the mercs are used in at least some form in competitive play, even Arty sees some niche use. The only mercs that don't see any play at all are Proxy, Redeye and Phantom. Proxy and Redeye share the problem of there being mercs do what they do except much better (Bush and Fletch for Proxy, Vas for Redeye). Phantom's in a unique position in that he's an underpowered merc that fills a role that doesn't need to be filled. The 5v5 format just doesn't leave room for someone to be a dedicated backstabber, that role is usually filled by an engineer because he actually has an upside outside of combat.

The hacky way they fixed the beyblade exploit made it so that trying to use melee as your primary is really frustrating right now but he still has the KEK-10 and the cloak does give him some extra health, so you can still use him to dominate pubs if you're good and really want to.

He should have some kind of power attack that instant gibs someone. This would allow him to assassinate someone critical to the team. Not saying that will help him be in comp more but it would give him some more purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, even giving him Vasili-esque 'Kills with the sword prevent Rez' would be a big deal for him.

• Locked thread