Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAUXTON posted:

Moto X Pure is pretty good and I have zero regrets about it, even having purchased it knowing the new nexus phones were coming. Your preferences may differ from mine and as such your proverbial mileage may vary.

I've just not been very happy with Motorola since they ruined my 2013 X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

There's rumors of no qi on either new nexus, in which case I have no idea what I would do. Lumia 950xl, maybe. S6, maybe. Wait for an 820 based option, maybe.

Our N5s are hitting 2 years. It's scary out there.

Argh what? That stupid overpriced orb comes back to haunt me yet again. Thing can't even hold up my Nexus 4 without a friggin skin on the back, it just slides off. I'm so used to just slapping the phone on there, I really don't want to do the USB cable hunt every time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It really wouldn't surprise me if one of the new Nexus phones has an SD card slot since they added the new adoptable storage. Gotta have one test vehicle for that arrangement.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

I've just not been very happy with Motorola since they ruined my 2013 X.

That's fair, but I would still argue that aside from the new Nexuses the MXPE is the phone to get right now, since it has a non-lovely Snapdragon chip and is the first Motorola phone with a camera better than "eh, it does its job."

I will agree in your first post that really nothing seems tantalizing in the Android space at the moment. I don't know why manufacturers insist on using the 810 considering what a piece of poo poo that turned out to be. I guess they're hoping morons will just be like "8 CORES ARE COOL GUYS!" Seems like manufacturers are just putting out phones for the sake of putting out phones and unlike Motorola, they aren't making any thoughtful changes.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Android Police say the MicroSD slot story is a false alarm, neither will have them
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/sorry-there-wont-be-a-microsd-card-slot-in-the-nexus-5x-or-6p/

And also the new Nexuseses will be online only and not in stores
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/nexus-5x-and-6p-will-be-available-online-only-wont-be-sold-in-us-carrier-stores/

Ok and the big news: Starting at $379 for the Nexus 5X, pre-orders open tomorrow
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...an-and-ireland/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Protocol7 posted:

That's fair, but I would still argue that aside from the new Nexuses the MXPE is the phone to get right now, since it has a non-lovely Snapdragon chip and is the first Motorola phone with a camera better than "eh, it does its job."

I will agree in your first post that really nothing seems tantalizing in the Android space at the moment. I don't know why manufacturers insist on using the 810 considering what a piece of poo poo that turned out to be. I guess they're hoping morons will just be like "8 CORES ARE COOL GUYS!" Seems like manufacturers are just putting out phones for the sake of putting out phones and unlike Motorola, they aren't making any thoughtful changes.

Yeah, I mean, I'd still include the new X on my list of phones to recommend. They've just pissed me off and I won't give them my money without a long look at some alternatives.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I sure hope whatever the new OS is is gonna break out the 'services' because when I hunt down whatever app is doing this i'm gonna send a strongly worded email

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Red_Fred posted:

Any downside to encrypting your phone? I'm on a Z3c if that matters.

I haven't noticed any decrease in performance after encrypting, except that my boot-up time is waaaaay longer (like it's about 90 seconds now, up from about 20).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So the Nexus 5X is gonna use an 808 and not an 810? Is that fine? 2GB of RAM seems to still be an acceptable amount? I don't really need top of the line phone performance as I'm not doing much crazy stuff on mine. Basically just various ways of interacting with various forms of text.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

808 is fine. It's going to be faster and more power efficient than the 805 from the Nexus 6 in most tasks though the GPU takes a step back.

I'm less sold on 2gb of RAM honestly. I would worry about that buying a phone to last two years in 2015.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have experience with drop leg pouches/holsters for huge phones and assorted stuff? I work in a large hospital and the work suits they issue us suck. I've dropped my phone like 10 times already during last 3 weeks. The worst part is that the trousers have no pockets!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

grack posted:

Another phone related tragedy that could've been avoided with the judicious use of grip tape. WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN

Crab Grabs are where it's at. http://crabgrab.com/mini-claws-1/

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Nexus 6P starts at 499 for the 32GB model
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...nada-and-japan/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know why 16gb exists, its not enough.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Silly idea to jump from iPhone 6 to Nexus 5X?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Donald Kimball posted:

Silly idea to jump from iPhone 6 to Nexus 5X?

Unless you really want an Android, yeah.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Red Warrior posted:

Ok and the big news: Starting at $379 for the Nexus 5X, pre-orders open tomorrow
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...an-and-ireland/

Ugh I really wanted to hold one and play with it but this is super tempting to jump in on. I even have like $50 in Play Store credit from those surveys and other promotions.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

kensei posted:

Ugh I really wanted to hold one and play with it but this is super tempting to jump in on. I even have like $50 in Play Store credit from those surveys and other promotions.

You can't buy a phone with google play store credit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Does anyone have experience with drop leg pouches/holsters for huge phones and assorted stuff? I work in a large hospital and the work suits they issue us suck. I've dropped my phone like 10 times already during last 3 weeks. The worst part is that the trousers have no pockets!

These are all pretty good. You can also check the sections for pouches that attach to the drop leg platforms for a more wide variety of size options.

But, if you're looking for something with more pockets, you might want to consider this. However, in the interests of the platform with the most expandability and customizability, this would be perfect.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 28, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

You can't buy a phone with google play store credit.

Is it only for apps?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$379 for a 16gb Nexus 5x seems about $30 too expensive.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Is it only for apps?
Apps, music, films, TV, basically any digital content, not devices. Note also that devices are no longer sold through Play, which helps to make this distinction clearer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Is it only for apps?

Apps/music/movies/TV shows/books

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FogHelmut posted:

Is it only for apps?

Apps, movies, books, music.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung Pay is out today if anyone of you are on the s6/edge/n5/edge+

Just like Android Pay, Chase isn't supported. It's not like it's one of the three largest banking institutions in the united states or anything.

Oddly enough chase has it's own Apple Pay website though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know why 16gb exists, its not enough.

This may come as a shock, but different people use their phones in different ways

I have never come close to using up the 16gb on my (ex) n5. On my tiny little moto g I've not even used the 8gb yet!

If you don't install huge games, and don't carry around a ton of movies or music it can be plenty

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

$379 for a 16gb Nexus 5x seems about $30 too expensive.

If $30 is the threshold on which you make a ~$350 maybe you shouldn't make said $350 purchase.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Well then, I guess I have a lot of apps to buy, thank you all for the clarity!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Samsung wants to give you a wireless charger or a flip cover if you activate a card on Samsung Pay.

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/activation/terms-and-conditions/

(provided you own a Note 5 or S6 Edge+)

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

This may come as a shock, but different people use their phones in different ways

I have never come close to using up the 16gb on my (ex) n5. On my tiny little moto g I've not even used the 8gb yet!

If you don't install huge games, and don't carry around a ton of movies or music it can be plenty

It fills up with photos after about 8 months. And apps cache tons of poo poo. Play Music, Facebook, Chrome, Maps, etc. Storage is so cheap, its pointless to be limited as such.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

$380 is not a good price for a 16GB phone

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

It fills up with photos after about 8 months. And apps cache tons of poo poo. Play Music, Facebook, Chrome, Maps, etc. Storage is so cheap, its pointless to be limited as such.

Why on earth are you keeping all your photos on your phone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/android-marshmallow-will-begin-rolling-out-to-the-nexus-5-6-7-2013-9-and-player-on-october-5th/

Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9, and Nexus Player all will receive Android Marshmallow starting on October 5th.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Why on earth are you keeping all your photos on your phone?

Because having to actively manage my photos is stupid and lame.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I need gigantic panoramas of my dick

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

So... your requirement for a phone is infinite storage space for photos...?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of, is there a super quick way to clean out all the copies of photos stored locally on my phone assuming Google Photos has auto backed them all up?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

So... your requirement for a phone is infinite storage space for photos...?

At least 2 years worth. I'm just saying storage is so cheap, there's no reason it should come as a premium option on the phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

FogHelmut posted:

At least 2 years worth. I'm just saying storage is so cheap, there's no reason it should come as a premium option on the phone.

haha, ok dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sure, I get that storage *should* be cheap, but Google will give you 60GB to store your full res photos for free and back everything existing on the phone up. Why wouldn't you do that?