Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you want to spend your time clearing caches and deleting photos, or just not using your phone at all in the first place, that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of, is there a super quick way to clean out all the copies of photos stored locally on my phone assuming Google Photos has auto backed them all up?

I use this successfully: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sudo.picremove

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

If you want to spend your time clearing caches and deleting photos, or just not using your phone at all in the first place, that's fine.

The hell are you talking about?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I meant :jerkbag:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of, is there a super quick way to clean out all the copies of photos stored locally on my phone assuming Google Photos has auto backed them all up?

In Photos go to the Settings, Device Folders option then select and delete, it'll only delete the local copies.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oh let me show you this great picture

Scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, Here!

No that's not it

Swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, here it is!

So glad I'm not some plebe with a low limit of storage space on my phone and an idiot who actually takes the time to manage all these thousands of pictures on a phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

It fills up with photos after about 8 months. And apps cache tons of poo poo. Play Music, Facebook, Chrome, Maps, etc. Storage is so cheap, its pointless to be limited as such.

For you maybe. I've never come close to filling up the 16GB on the 2013 Moto X I bought in 2013.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Have fun having all of your photos accessible anywhere, plebes. I'll be over here complaining about not having enough photo storage space and assuming that Google Photos cloud backup qualifies as ~active manual management~ and takes any effort at all. :smug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

sleepwalkers posted:

Have fun having all of your photos accessible anywhere, plebes. I'll be over here complaining about not having enough photo storage space and assuming that Google Photos cloud backup qualifies as ~active manual management~ and takes any effort at all. :smug:

I still don't trust ~the cloud~ :tinfoil:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If $30 is the threshold on which you make a ~$350 maybe you shouldn't make said $350 purchase.

Silly line of argument. I just bought a 64gb Moto X Pure which costs significantly more than $349, so I'm not in the market anyways.

I'm looking at it from a competition perspective. A 16gb Moto X pure is $399 and that comes with more ram, a higher resolution screen, customization options, and expandable storage. It loses the fingerprint reader and (possibly if it does have it) wireless charging.

Is the fingerprint reader enough for it to only be discounted $20 for the other lower specs? Possibly. But $349 seems like the much more competitive price-point for the compromises you'll have to make on the device.

$379 for a 32gb model would make a ton more sense and something I could get behind.

The biggest thing that bothers me about the Nexus 5x is the 2gb of RAM. Even with stock Marshmallow, I'm not convinced that's viable for a device that someone is intending to keep for 2 years which is the main reason why I think the price should be lower.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Most cameras will let you store your photos on the SD card, also Google gives you unlimited storage for them. I do still think internal storage should be a lot closer to actual cost and that manufacturers should not be able to advertise an amount of storage then take 40% of it for the OS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Most cameras will let you store your photos on the SD card, also Google gives you unlimited storage for them. I do still think internal storage should be a lot closer to actual cost and that manufacturers should not be able to advertise an amount of storage then take 40% of it for the OS.

Yeah, I agree that it seems like storage is possibly overpriced.

I also agree that many normal people buy the cheapest phone and then regret it when they fill it up with pictures of their cat.

I disagree that 16GB is categorically not enough. I never even think about storage space. I don't actively manage my photos or think about whether I have enough room to install an app.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If the designers would just make cardboard cutouts before slapping all of this hardware together, I'm sure they would find space inside the phone for some more gigs of storage.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

I disagree that 16GB is categorically not enough. I never even think about storage space. I don't actively manage my photos or think about whether I have enough room to install an app.

I'm exactly the same, and I really think the difference between users who think this and those who don't is if you play games on your phone or not.

Some new ones are enormous

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/android-marshmallow-will-begin-rolling-out-to-the-nexus-5-6-7-2013-9-and-player-on-october-5th/

Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9, and Nexus Player all will receive Android Marshmallow starting on October 5th.

Where's the love for the Nexus 4? :mad:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Google unlimited is only if you agree to have them compress your photos and videos. If you want full res you can try Amazon Prime free storage or just get a Dropbox account, set up 2-way sync, and then just cut-paste your photos out of your Dropbox when you manage to plop yourself down in front of your computer.

Even if you actively manage your photos, I can easily see you running into a problem if you go on a long vacation and use only your phone for pictures/video

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I used a 16gb iPhone for two years until I replaced it with a 16gb Moto G. Storage space has never been a problem for me. I delete games when I'm done with them, I curate my photos, and I stream media instead of storing it on the phone. If you like keeping a lot of poo poo on your phone, fine, get something with more space, but I really don't understand this recent trend of people saying 16gb is useless or whatever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Google unlimited is only if you agree to have them compress your photos and videos.

It only compresses noticeably when over 16 MP, at the free tier. For a lot of phones (like my Nexus 6 with a 13 MP sensor), this is obviously a non issue.

This looks perfect, thanks!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
No wireless charging on the new Nexii.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/sorry-part-2-the-new-nexus-6p-and-5x-wont-have-wireless-charging-either/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
So, uh, the price of the 32gb 5X is still unknown at this point, right? Cause pretty much nothing else is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ugh. Well, when I sell my 5 I have a bunch of Qi chargers to sell with it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nexus 6P looks nice, but the size is going to be a shock coming from a Nexus 4. Hopefully I won't regret this :ohdear:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

It only compresses noticeably when over 16 MP, at the free tier. For a lot of phones (like my Nexus 6 with a 13 MP sensor), this is obviously a non issue.

What is the criteria for video compression?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The rear end Stooge posted:

I used a 16gb iPhone for two years until I replaced it with a 16gb Moto G. Storage space has never been a problem for me. I delete games when I'm done with them, I curate my photos, and I stream media instead of storing it on the phone. If you like keeping a lot of poo poo on your phone, fine, get something with more space, but I really don't understand this recent trend of people saying 16gb is useless or whatever.

Different people use phones differently, and people (especially nerds) have trouble understanding that other use patterns exist at all, let alone accepting that these use patterns aren't inherently less valid.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

Even on my 16GB MXPE, I have a 64 gig SD card that my photos go to. The only game I have is like a 4MB Solitaire game. Works fine for me.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

So, uh, the price of the 32gb 5X is still unknown at this point, right? Cause pretty much nothing else is.

Right Android Police are just drip feeding out every detail now. They obviously have all the pr or even the presentation slides.

We can guess around 430 if we assume the same price difference to 32GB as the Moto Pure. Also can't be too much more or the base 32GB 6P isn't that much more expensive.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

zer0spunk posted:

Samsung Pay is out today if anyone of you are on the s6/edge/n5/edge+

Just like Android Pay, Chase isn't supported. It's not like it's one of the three largest banking institutions in the united states or anything.

Oddly enough chase has it's own Apple Pay website though.

Citi works in Samsung, not in Android
BofA works in both
Simple works in Android but not Samsung
All of the above work in apple.

Besides card compatibility (which is loving weird) I like samsung pay a lot more than apple, the magnetic stripe simulator thing has worked perfectly for me so far.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

highme posted:

Crab Grabs are where it's at. http://crabgrab.com/mini-claws-1/

My lawyers will be in contact shortly. :newlol:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the criteria for video compression?

Come on, google it.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, only UK and Ireland open for preorders. I doubt the Google Store will send them elsewhere in Europe.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And now I need to pick a new next device.
Seriously, WTF google. I haven't liked any of your latest choices.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, only UK and Ireland open for preorders. I doubt the Google Store will send them elsewhere in Europe.

:( :respek:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ilkhan posted:

Yeah that really sucks. God dammit google

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Desk Lamp posted:

There's been plenty of complaints about 5.1 on the original Moto X causing reboot that then brings up the optimizing apps screen so you can blame that part on Motorola. However the fact that it freezes during that could be a sign of a more serious issue. In my experience, phones that undergo serious repairs like that are rarely ever the same again. If the factory reset doesn't fix it, I'd treat this as the perfect excuse for an upgrade if I were you.

Thanks. I am seeing this as also on my web searches. I think the freezing through the optimizing may have been my battery dying since I have no idea how much battery there was. I had it plugged in this morning and it did another reboot and optimizing but when I got back to it on a conference break it is on a fine.

I am going to factory reset it now and see what that does. I would prefer not to have to get a new phone since it was perfectly fine :(. Thanks again for the help.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

The Nexus phones are built to a price point, so the finger print reader probably out costs the wireless charging tech and license costs, so they had to cut something. Doesn't make it any less irritating though.

One thing in response to this:

bull3964 posted:

Silly line of argument. I just bought a 64gb Moto X Pure which costs significantly more than $349, so I'm not in the market anyways.

I'm looking at it from a competition perspective. A 16gb Moto X pure is $399 and that comes with more ram, a higher resolution screen, customization options, and expandable storage. It loses the fingerprint reader and (possibly if it does have it) wireless charging.

Is the fingerprint reader enough for it to only be discounted $20 for the other lower specs? Possibly. But $349 seems like the much more competitive price-point for the compromises you'll have to make on the device.

$379 for a 32gb model would make a ton more sense and something I could get behind.

The biggest thing that bothers me about the Nexus 5x is the 2gb of RAM. Even with stock Marshmallow, I'm not convinced that's viable for a device that someone is intending to keep for 2 years which is the main reason why I think the price should be lower.

The Nexus 5X is more expensive than the MotoX, but part of the justification for increased cost of the Nexus line is the superiority of the upgrade situation. That means nothing to some, but it's enough of a guarantee to push me to go Nexus.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
New N5x have OIS? Or don't we know yet?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

TraderStav posted:

New N5x have OIS? Or don't we know yet?

We just found out. Nope. Neither do.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/sorry-part-3-both-the-nexus-5x-and-nexus-6p-cameras-lack-optical-image-stabilization/

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

nimper posted:

Samsung wants to give you a wireless charger or a flip cover if you activate a card on Samsung Pay.

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/activation/terms-and-conditions/

(provided you own a Note 5 or S6 Edge+)

You can't choose the color of your case? What??

Whatever. I may go for the pad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No OIS combined with no Qi means the new Nexii are definitely not happening for me, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey everybody I hear the Blackberry Priv has OIS!