Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I'm the most terrible boat-driver, this is the second time I took my Tenryu into a battle thinking it is a Destroyer and than wondering why I get spotted and shot at so early and why my smoke discharger ísn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

The fact that they're short ranged torps? And that their guns are almost assuredly not going to be as good as the US DDs? I mean, the short ranged stuff will likely be strong in low tiers (when pubbies are bad and maps are small), but if they keep sub 8k range torps up past T6, then they're going to have serious problems if they don't have a new niche they can fill.

Have you played the Gremyaschy? It's got better guns than the US ships. They're much longer barreled and their shells really move, especially compared to how US shells float out there. However their size, detection range and not having gundam turrets should hopefully compensate. It does mean that they may have even greater difficulty getting into torpedo range, though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Russian DD's are also supposed to have much shorter torpedo reload time, so hooray torp spam. If I remember correctly, they have a high ROF on their guns as well. I have a feeling that the soft / hidden stats on the Russian DD's will be quite good, likely making them strong, but not really OP.

Last night, I got the Pink Badge of Honor by TK'ing some retard on my team who shot at me. First shot I ignored and after the second, I just started pumping AP into him at point blank range. My division mate actually got the kill, but I got the pink badge. What's funny is that most pubbies have no idea what it means, so they would keep asking what it meant. I said it was because I was gay and it was WGNA's way of supporting Pride. In a subsequent game, some guy got all bothered about it, saying I was a team killer, etc. That match, I got four kills and my division mate 2 (we still lost because the rest of the team was garbage).

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Wow is it refreshing to get torpedoes that work beyond your detection range. Perhaps this is my RNG patience award.

157k PR with my second game in the Benson! 8K exp.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Clan update: We are still maxed out and have all the seamen we can handle at this time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Clan update: We are still maxed out and have all the seamen we can handle at this time.
When will our clan tags start showing up in game? This is very important.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

demonR6 posted:

Maybe it's time to blow a load... :q:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
MM changes:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/matchmaking-revamped/

Has the Tirpitz always only faced T8 or higher ships? Seems like some nasty MM there.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'm not sure but I think thats just saying the average tier of the game. TIrpitz's can probably still see tier 7's and maybe tier 6's if those ships get bumped up a tier.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Darkrenown posted:

MM changes:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/matchmaking-revamped/

Has the Tirpitz always only faced T8 or higher ships? Seems like some nasty MM there.

The battle tier is actually the tier of the highest ship involved. So a T8 battle consists of T6-T8 ships. A T10 battle has T8-T10 ships.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gorau posted:

I'm not sure but I think thats just saying the average tier of the game. TIrpitz's can probably still see tier 7's and maybe tier 6's if those ships get bumped up a tier.

Tirpitz can see any ship that has the ability to see a tier 8. So you can have Tirpitz vs Warspite.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh I thought it was tiers they can see for some reason :confused:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Thread I got a question.

So Murmansk. Omaha C hull with better torpedoes, better AA, and amazing rudder shift time. Even better version of already strong ship. Why its artillery rated 50 while it rated 40 on Omaha? They seem to have identical guns.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Lady Morgaga posted:

Thread I got a question.

So Murmansk. Omaha C hull with better torpedoes, better AA, and amazing rudder shift time. Even better version of already strong ship. Why its artillery rated 50 while it rated 40 on Omaha? They seem to have identical guns.

It gets a spotter plane that increases its range, this will increase its artillery rating in the stats. Any upgrades that increase range or accuracy will do that, i think.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 28, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So anyone who has played it, how is the Tirpitz? I tend to think of them as free XP because there are a lot of bad BB players who jumped up to T8, but apparently in the hands of a competent player it wrecks shop.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ranbo das posted:

So anyone who has played it, how is the Tirpitz? I tend to think of them as free XP because there are a lot of bad BB players who jumped up to T8, but apparently in the hands of a competent player it wrecks shop.

It is a boat that has no weakness except lackluster AA and peforms pretty well in any other case.

Yes it has lower calibre guns, but it also fires faster. It's also really agile. Also it has torpedos.

It's pretty OP.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

It is a boat that has no weakness except lackluster AA and peforms pretty well in any other case.

Yes it has lower calibre guns, but it also fires faster. It's also really agile. Also it has torpedos.

It's pretty OP.

Pretty much this. It's stupidly priced, but gently caress it I had disposable income. PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I'm playing both North Carolina and Tirpitz but Tirpitz feels better in every category except AA and Concealment. Not that you can do much against 2 Tier 8+ torp bomber squads with NC (skills + module) anyway.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

Christ dude no need to be an rear end. I made a loving mistake. As well as the fact I feel the terminology on those 2 items are backwards. When I think of upgrade I think of something I use XP for and when I think of a module I think of something extra I add to a ship AKA a thing that lets me turn quicker. Or just name them something different.

Sorry man! Just got momentarily frustrated when you pointed out the obvious while noone seems to have an answer to what I'm actually asking :)

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Michaellaneous posted:

It's pretty OP.

And pretty decent secondaries if you have them upgraded. Even without the Level 4 captain skill, my secondaries reach out to almost 6km. I've had some amazing games in the Tirpitz, and I'm not an especially skilled player.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Fizzil posted:

It gets a spotter plane that increases its range, this will increase its artillery rating in the stats. Any upgrades that increase range or accuracy will do that, i think.

That does make sense. I had situations where I used spotter for great effect.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, stumbled across something this morning which is absolutely hilarious. You know that high top speed of Tashkent at 43.5 kts? Done in trials before it was fitted with any armaments(turrets, torpedo mounts, etc). So they've nerfed the speed of ships like Iowa and Shimakaze to below what they could actually do, while keeping that "historical top speed" for this one which, unlike other examples, was done before literal tons of extra weight were added to the ship. Given that every other ship from Kiev onward is at best a paper ship, they apparently decided that this clearly means the imaginary USSR ships should be the fastest in the game, along with having excellent guns.

Wargaming at its finest.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

And pretty decent secondaries if you have them upgraded. Even without the Level 4 captain skill, my secondaries reach out to almost 6km. I've had some amazing games in the Tirpitz, and I'm not an especially skilled player.

Thing is 6 km is - compared - not much when you look at other japanese BBs.

However, due to the fact it is fast and agile, in combination with the torpedos, fast turrets and quick refirerate it makes a good brawler.

That is a bit diminished since at that tier brawling is a bit less effective, but nice non the less.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Should I equip and skill out my Warspite with bonus to the secondary weapons?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Thronde posted:

Pretty much this. It's stupidly priced, but gently caress it I had disposable income. PART OF THE PROBLEM.

I wish people would stop buying items that cost more than a AAA game. It only sends the message that their price are correct, which they are not. If people stop buying the expensive ships, wargamming will lower them to an acceptable level.

Even if I have the money, I ain't spending this much for a pixel boat.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I would spend 50 bucks on the Kitakami
(again)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Well, stumbled across something this morning which is absolutely hilarious. You know that high top speed of Tashkent at 43.5 kts? Done in trials before it was fitted with any armaments(turrets, torpedo mounts, etc). So they've nerfed the speed of ships like Iowa and Shimakaze to below what they could actually do, while keeping that "historical top speed" for this one which, unlike other examples, was done before literal tons of extra weight were added to the ship. Given that every other ship from Kiev onward is at best a paper ship, they apparently decided that this clearly means the imaginary USSR ships should be the fastest in the game, along with having excellent guns.

Wargaming at its finest.

I noticed that. There's also problems with the guns as the B13 only has 870m/s at top end, while IJN guns are supposed to have 910~915m/s and the USN 740~790 for the Mark 12, but this isn't represented at all from what we've seen so far. Not to mention turret rotation rates, which seem to be taken from the low end for the IJN, a rather arbitrary mix for USN, while the Soviet specs seem to be high end of performance only.

Hazdoc posted:

(again)

The sea is now torpedoes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

Wargaming at its finest.

Tashkent did 42-43 knots in war fitting.
I'm not sure about Shimakaze, but 30.7 knots is what the USN considered the Iowas good for in normal conditions in the Pacific. Considering the nature of ships, speed is as good a balance parameter as any other - Iowa could certainly have exceeded 30.7 knots for 20 minutes, but it doesn't need a buff.

If anything, Wargaming generally exaggerates the capabilities of German equipment, and invents fictional German equipment with unrealistic performance. The Soviet paper destroyers are apparently all real projects, whereas (as far as I'm aware) Roon and Hindenburg actually were made up by Wargaming.

Please don't whine about overpowered Soviet ships before even seeing them in game, this isn't the official forums.

edit:

Green Dam posted:

I noticed that. There's also problems with the guns as the B13 only has 870m/s at top end, while IJN guns are supposed to have 910~915m/s and the USN 740~790 for the Mark 12, but this isn't represented at all from what we've seen so far. Not to mention turret rotation rates, which seem to be taken from the low end for the IJN, a rather arbitrary mix for USN, while the Soviet specs seem to be high end of performance only.

The Soviet gun is 870 m/s in game, and the 5"/38 is 792 m/s. Not sure about the Japanese 5" since game models 3d is only free up to tier 6, but the 120 mm gun is 825 m/s which is accurate.
Oddly, Cleveland and Omaha muzzle velocities are also accurate. Holy poo poo Omaha muzzle velocity is 914 m/s :aaaaa:

The Japanese destroyer guns had historically accurate traverse and fire rates in alpha, and Kagero was really good at killing US destroyers in gunfights. I can see why they changed it, you need something to differentiate all those ships with basically the same armament.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 28, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

(again)

I learnt my mistake by buying a Lowe in WOT. Too expensive for what it is.

The Type59 however, was reasonably priced. Like 30$ i think. Im ok with that..

80$ for the tirpitz a bit of gold and a few days of premiums? Ill pass thank you.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Tirpitz was awfully tempting because I appreciate the Admiral Hipper-class of cruisers very much and wouldn't mind a skilled captain when they're released, but there's no way I'm paying 80USD for a crew trainer.

On the other hand the Type 59 was/is worth every dollar.

James Garfield posted:

Please don't whine about overpowered Soviet Italian ships before even seeing them in game, this isn't the official forums.

:italy:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BadLlama posted:

Should I equip and skill out my Warspite with bonus to the secondary weapons?

Hard one. I'd say that it needs as much help with it's main guns as possible as they are, how do we put it, slightly open to the whims of the RNG at range?

However, the Warspite is the greatest brawler BB so I have main gun upgrades but my Captain has all the secondary skills which is the best balance I think.

Also remind me to make new Royal Navy Captains every time I get to 10 points so I have a few for when the RN line is eventually released in 2020. :britain:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I regret not buying the Warspite.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

I wish people would stop buying items that cost more than a AAA game. It only sends the message that their price are correct, which they are not. If people stop buying the expensive ships, wargamming will lower them to an acceptable level.

Even if I have the money, I ain't spending this much for a pixel boat.

Not spending a dime on this game until I can share funny money with tanks.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

James Garfield posted:

The stats are public (unfortunately I don't know a source other than reddit link). Turning and rudder shift aren't that good, torpedo range is godawful and concealment is the worst of the destroyers.
What the gently caress? Their torpedos are a loving joke. Tier X gets 10km 60knt torps, agonizing.

Edit: German Cruisers leaked as well. Meh. Tier X Hindenberg is a Zao with more HP (51.9k, jesus), a shorter torp range and oddly more AA (not Des Moines level). I was kinda hoping they would do something different, like have the German cruisers stick with a 4x2 gun mount but use 11 inchers or something.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 29, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Not spending a dime on this game until I can share funny money with tanks.

Didn't they completely throw out that whole account unification thing?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Didn't they completely throw out that whole account unification thing?

Bingo. At least as long as they can get away with it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

What the gently caress? Their torpedos are a loving joke. Tier X gets 10km 60knt torps, agonizing.

What's truly sad is the T10 still has a 120 second base reload on the torps. Ugh. That's a very underwhelming T10 boat, the first legitimately "meh" tier 10 I've seen. 8 guns is great, but its basically a cruiser with high concealment. The Gearing will still eat its lunch in a gunfight... though it'll probably be pretty nervous about it. It will, however, not get spotted first. At least I've heard that the ballistics will be fairly flat on the rus DDs, which is very interesting.

Looking at the Russian DDs, I see a pretty big shift after T5. Most of the low tier boats are slow, but with very good guns and insane reloads on their torps. Then they shift to having faster turning, still good guns, and not very fast reloading torps (but still better the other DDs), and extremely high speed. I mean seriously, what the gently caress is up with the speed? Even the Shimakaze gets dumpstered in the speed department. I guess the Russian DDs wouldn't be that hot if it wasn't for that speed, though.

I've got mixed feelings about them. I'm not sure they're going to do very well, seeing as they have the US DD's own issues, amplified even further by lesser torp range. The gun ballistics might be what makes the difference here. In any case, I'll play them, as some of these boats look pretty ridiculous to play. That T3.

Does the Russian navy have any sort of prefix we can use for their boats?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

What's truly sad is the T10 still has a 120 second base reload on the torps. Ugh. That's a very underwhelming T10 boat, the first legitimately "meh" tier 10 I've seen. 8 guns is great, but its basically a cruiser with high concealment. The Gearing will still eat its lunch in a gunfight... though it'll probably be pretty nervous about it. It will, however, not get spotted first. At least I've heard that the ballistics will be fairly flat on the rus DDs, which is very interesting.

Looking at the Russian DDs, I see a pretty big shift after T5. Most of the low tier boats are slow, but with very good guns and insane reloads on their torps. Then they shift to having faster turning, still good guns, and not very fast reloading torps (but still better the other DDs), and extremely high speed. I mean seriously, what the gently caress is up with the speed? Even the Shimakaze gets dumpstered in the speed department. I guess the Russian DDs wouldn't be that hot if it wasn't for that speed, though.

I've got mixed feelings about them. I'm not sure they're going to do very well, seeing as they have the US DD's own issues, amplified even further by lesser torp range. The gun ballistics might be what makes the difference here. In any case, I'll play them, as some of these boats look pretty ridiculous to play. That T3.

Does the Russian navy have any sort of prefix we can use for their boats?

How would gun ballistic make a different? Does a flatter range increase the velocity of the bullets? Less travel time I guess?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Dalael posted:

How would gun ballistic make a different? Does a flatter range increase the velocity of the bullets? Less travel time I guess?

If the current grems is any indication, the 130mm shells are fast and flat and hit for more damage than US destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Dalael posted:

Flatter projectile (low arc of fire) means your target will have to vary the vector more in order to avoid getting hit to the sides, whereas with high arc of fire your target will just need to turn a bit left/right in order to avoid shells being dropped to the deck. Also note that projectiles with low arc of fire generally have faster projectile speed compared to projectiles with high arc of fire, meaning enemy will have hard time dodging shells with low arc of fire.

This makes some USN ships difficult to use at range as they have slow projectile speed with high arc of fire compared to IJN ships.