Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Keep reading. The lack of OIS is due the sensors being better at low-light natively, so it's not really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Samsung Pay is out today if anyone of you are on the s6/edge/n5/edge+

Just like Android Pay, Chase isn't supported. It's not like it's one of the three largest banking institutions in the united states or anything.

Oddly enough chase has it's own Apple Pay website though.

Just tried to add a card to get my free accessory. Takes none of my 4 cards. I looked it up at samsung support and they only work with 4 banks lmao what a joke.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The OnePlus 2 and M9 are probably good gauges for 810 battery life and what we should expect for the 6P, right? Because the OP2 looks pretty :smith: despite a big battery

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the nicker posted:

Keep reading. The lack of OIS is due the sensors being better at low-light natively, so it's not really needed.
Except having better sensors and ois would be even betterer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

the nicker posted:

Yeah, having better low light capability plus OIS would make it easier to forgive not having Qi, but these factors combined are a dealbreaker.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Guess I'm getting the 6p even with the 810 if they won't sell me the 5x in Canada. My second choice would probably be the moto x pure/style but again, they aren't available in Canada at launch and there is only so long I can use a stopgap, cracked screen phone.

I like the larger screen and more RAM, I don't play games on my phone so heat shouldn't be as much of an issue, but I was hoping to spend a bit less this year and I don't know much about Hauwei.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I went to Best Buy a week or two ago and they said that they didn't have any Moto X Pure's on display.

Does anyone know if they'll ever put them on display?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the nicker posted:

Well, that's the claim at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android Police seems to have leaked every single thing in advance except what shirt Matias will wear tomorrow.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
It's true that it would still be nice if it had OIS as well (nothing wrong with stacking the technologies), BUT, if i had to choose between OIS and a better sensor I'd choose the latter since it's more useful. OIS only helps with camera shake.

Just trying to remain optimistic here since i've all but decided on the 5x (my n5 might not last through the week, it's really falling apart) :(

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Sounds like the only good thing about the new nexus is the finger print reader. What other reason is there to upgrade? Kinda disappointing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

the nicker posted:

Just trying to remain optimistic here since i've all but decided on the 5x (my n5 might not last through the week, it's really falling apart) :(

Totally fair. I have a N6 in perfect shape so I'm not in a position where I need to get a new phone at all, in fact this is looking like it'd be a downgrade for me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

the nicker posted:

Even with a good low light sensor OIS is still plenty useful.

OIS isn't a deal breaker for me but no Qi charging is. Goddamn, dump the fingerprint sensor and give me wireless charging! :argh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally fair. I have a N6 in perfect shape so I'm not in a position where I need to get a new phone at all, in fact this is looking like it'd be a downgrade for me.

Yeah, the price drops on the N6 have been ridiculously tempting. I wonder if it'll continue to go down?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'd still include the new X on my list of phones to recommend. They've just pissed me off and I won't give them my money without a long look at some alternatives.

I understand - I have the same problem with Samsung and no amount of "but they found Jesus" is going to alter the fact that my Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus were steaming piles of poo poo. Nexus S seemingly wasn't as big a pile as the others but I also didn't have it for very long.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
No Qi on the 5x is a bunch of horseshit. I'd already given in on the size increase and I'm fine without OIS but now they want me to plug it in like a caveman. Maybe my 5 can last another year.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

No Qi on the 5x is a bunch of horseshit. I'd already given in on the size increase and I'm fine without OIS but now they want me to plug it in like a caveman. Maybe my 5 can last another year.

Plug it into USB-C, the future is now, Steven!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I can live without qi charging and OIS if the 5x actually has a good battery, a good camera, and USB-C charging is as fast as they claim. Basically, I'm going to wait for reviews to see if this poo poo is as good as Google thinks it all is.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
Will 2gb vs 3gb of RAM matter to me if I play games on my phone? Does the 810 still suck rear end?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I currently have a 2 year old nexus5 that, while serviceable, is annoying me with short battery life and little storage space. My carrier is offering the Moto X Play free upgrade if I sign for a 2 year contract at negligible price increment. Is the upgrade worth it? Whats the goon concensus on this phone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WarpZealot posted:

Will 2gb vs 3gb of RAM matter to me if I play games on my phone? Does the 810 still suck rear end?

Friend of mine says the 810 really isn't that bad. He has the OnePlus Two or whatever.

I don't play games on my phone so I'm all about the 6P right now.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Hell here's the whole Nexus 5x spec sheet/press release, courtesy Droid Life https://twitter.com/droid_life/status/648578046908239874
https://imgur.com/a/g3oAs

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
How come nobody seems to give a poo poo about the fingerprint sensors? I for one cannot wait to not have to enter a code to unlock anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Friend of mine says the 810 really isn't that bad. He has the OnePlus Two or whatever.

Obviously his opinion is suspect.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

the nicker posted:

How come nobody seems to give a poo poo about the fingerprint sensors? I for one cannot wait to not have to enter a code to unlock anymore.

Its cool, but are they that accurate? I have no idea.

I am going to buy the 6P for that aluminum body, Huawei be damned.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Skeezy posted:

Sorry about your friend's brain damage. :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

the nicker posted:

With on body detection I hardly have to

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

the nicker posted:

Have fingerprint sensors gotten better all of a sudden? Every time I see them on a laptop or something, they're extremely poo poo. They seem to keep coming back every couple years, but they're always poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Have fingerprint sensors gotten better all of a sudden? Every time I see them on a laptop or something, they're extremely poo poo. They seem to keep coming back every couple years, but they're always poo poo.

The ones used on phones are completely different tech, capacitive sensing rather than the optical method laptops use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, fingerprint sensors are not considered secure for most MDM software. So, if you do have corporate email on your phone, you likely won't be able to use it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

the nicker posted:

With Smart Unlock enabled by location (home) or bluetooth device (car, Pebble), I rarely have to anyway.

Skeezy posted:

"It throttles" is typically a response to heat complaints but arstechnica did an article that said the throttling is really aggressive and that performance suffers (and can be even worse than 801 or 805) because of it. It's a worse case thing and tons of people said their M9 or OP2 aren't that bad but that's not very objective

And the battery life is average compared to other 2015 phones despite having a massive battery. It might still be better than my 2014 X so I might just fall into the hype and get it anyway.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a first-gen Moto G that I'm looking to replace.
I can get a Moto X Pure 16GB, a Galaxy S6 32GB or a LG G4 32GB for exactly the same price (about 600 bucks, thanks third world country!), which one would you get? Are there any major differences between the phones besides the brand?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Mogomra posted:

Yes, the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone and Galaxy S6 and Note 5 are good. No swiping garbage, just press your finger to it and it works.

If the Nexus uses that type of reader, it will be good.

Selane
May 19, 2006

In my experience, fingerprint sensors are like camera optics in that size is really important. As long as the sensor is big enough that you can fit most of your finger on it, it should work pretty reliably. Manufacturers seem to understand that now, so you don't see crap like the Galaxy S5 sensor any more.

That being said, people/reviews are going to poo poo all over the Nexus sensors anyway since they'll be comparing them to the (admittedly outrageous)one on the iPhone 6S.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The fingerprint reader on my Note 4 isn't that great, but I still like it way more than putting in a code or having a Bluetooth thingy on me at all times.

Selane
May 19, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450775446"]
The fingerprint reader on my Note 4 isn't that great, but I still like it way more than putting in a code or having a Bluetooth thingy on me at all times.

Yeah, Note 4 uses the same piece of poo poo swipe sensor that the S5 did, like I mentioned. Fortunately that won't be the case with the new Nexuses.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Yeah I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure they are good now and nothing like the old laptop sensor poo poo.

I use all the smart lock features as well and they're great but I still like, go places on a daily basis that aren't home or work or my car, and set my phone down on a table which immediately kills the body detection. In fact, not having to enter the code every time just makes it that much more annoying when I do have to enter it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Red Warrior posted:

Hell here's the whole Nexus 5x spec sheet/press release, courtesy Droid Life https://twitter.com/droid_life/status/648578046908239874
https://imgur.com/a/g3oAs

"A powerful camera that captures more light" 1

1 Compared to the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6

That sounds super confident.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I hacked apart a broken bluetooth earpiece to use as a trusted bluetooth device. I took off the ear piece part and wrapped up the circuit board, battery, and usb port so it fits easily in my pocket. Now my phone is unlocked as long as its connected. Maybe not as secure as a fingerprint reader but pretty close. The only advantage to the fingerprint scanner is not having to enter passwords specifically to lastpass app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
ROFL