Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if "cut to 3 weeks earlier" is something someone actually pitched to either Harmon or Roiland, and is this their way of telling them how lovely their story was.

Harmon has talked about lazy/bad screenwriting on Harmon town quite a few times. Definitely have heard him say something similar before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ElCondemn posted:

I feel like we need some way to get out our aggression and frustration, some kind of purge.

Yeah but as soon as you purge the idiots and create an idiot vacuum, the universe will create new idiots with which to fill that vacuum. There's really no way to win except to not play.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015

a cop posted:

Your one example of PC being out of control on campuses was a flyer with boobs getting taken off a community events board. You can't fathom of why they'd have such a policy in place and I'm naive?

Also I didn't say climate change. The education isn't working :(

If you're really gonna base the entire academic environment in America on my one example from one school in one part of the United States you're ridiculous. If you claim that this mindset "doesn't exist" you're blind and naive. Or maybe you're just 14 and feeling sassy today. I don't feel the need to argue about this any further, its not an opinion that I need to defend the evidence is all around you if you get your head outta your cop rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krinkle posted:

the goddamn power button because loving christ it couldn't just be on the front and immediately visible like on every tv for sixty years

I have no idea what you're ranting about, but my TV doesn't have a power button on the front and I'm guessing tons of modern TVs with bezels that are way thinner than mine don't either.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

e X posted:

Why are you still talking about your dumb poo poo when there is a new episode out?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just the Steven Universe fanbase spillover into this thread, or if this show just seems to attract the kinds of fans that like to take the argument out of the jurisdiction of the goddamn show and also try to keep it there, because in the words of Dan Harmon: "I can't hear you! Because I have a bigger point to make!"

I don't mind people saying this show's comedy is insensitive. That's never been in dispute - it is, blatantly so. But it's also done with actual craftsmanship and forethought, and that results in it also being goddamn funny. You disagree? Then I don't see how you making your objection known ITT via an argument as opposed to just a quick quip will convince anyone otherwise, other than just produce another half a dozen posts of :ughh: for others to read.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have no idea what you're ranting about, but my TV doesn't have a power button on the front and I'm guessing tons of modern TVs with bezels that are way thinner than mine don't either.

He's saying he thinks it's stupid that modern TVs don't have the buttons easily accessible on the front.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

SegwayPimp posted:

If you're really gonna base the entire academic environment in America on my one example from one school in one part of the United States you're ridiculous. If you claim that this mindset "doesn't exist" you're blind and naive. Or maybe you're just 14 and feeling sassy today. I don't feel the need to argue about this any further, its not an opinion that I need to defend the evidence is all around you if you get your head outta your cop rear end.
You're making mountains out of molehills and acting just like the people you're complaining about when you get called on it. People aren't any more sensitive than they've ever been, colleges are just more profit-driven.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015

a cop posted:

You're making mountains out of molehills and acting just like the people you're complaining about when you get called on it. People aren't any more sensitive than they've ever been, colleges are just more profit-driven.

Okay officer ignorant. Enjoy middle school while you can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CrazyLoon posted:

Then I don't see how you making your objection known ITT via an argument as opposed to just a quick quip will convince anyone otherwise, other than just produce another half a dozen posts of :ughh: for others to read.

Someone really needs to make a :idontgiveafuck: Rick emoticon so we can flip each other off properly in this thread

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 28, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

a cop posted:

People aren't any more sensitive than they've ever been

God how I wish this was true. [/end my part in this asinine discussion]

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone really needs to make a :idontgiveafuck: Rick emoticon so we can flip each other off properly in this thread

I second this emoticon. This thread will overflow with it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SegwayPimp posted:

Okay officer ignorant. Enjoy middle school while you can.

You're 23 and naive enough to think this is a new phenomenon because you can't remember any farther back than a few years. This kind of culture on college campuses goes back to at least the 80s. I was in college 15 years ago and experienced the same things. If your dumb ghost sign thing was the best example you can think of and wasn't just some weird joke, you are complaining about some extremely mild poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if "cut to 3 weeks earlier" is something someone actually pitched to either Harmon or Roiland, and is this their way of telling them how lovely their story was.

Either that or it's something Harmon or Roiland used to do early in their careers when they were just starting out as writers. Before you get good at something you have to make a whole lot of crap first, and not be afraid to change your stuff when you're told it's crap. That's how you grow as an artist, it's also how you avoid being murdered in a lighthouse.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's be pretty funny if they spent an entire season dropping hints and slowly bringing back all the villains and gradually revealing their grand evil scheme and right at the end Rick goes "Oh, you're doing that?? Yeah I built safeguards against that years ago" and instakills them all with the press of a button.

There's a bunch of ways they could have an overarching plot and gently caress around with it.
This last episode had a great example of one of the best parts of the show, how they constantly break the fourth wall and call out cliched plotlines (or tropes if you want to use that word with all its baggage) and address them up front. Like how at the beginning Morty didn't want to go down because he knew they'd get hit with a rock and crash or something, which is exactly the direction 99% of shows would take.

Then later you had Rick's "The candy bars! You know, from the first act!"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pakled posted:

He's saying he thinks it's stupid that modern TVs don't have the buttons easily accessible on the front.

My buttons are on the side, they are black on black with no markings and I have to press them all several times in order to re-learn which two are the volume buttons, which is the menu button and which is the aux inputs button and which is the button that cancels out of the menu because its different and I always find that one first and change a few settings by mistake and I have to do this whenever I lose the remote whose only job is to change aux inputs. Maybe there are subtle markings but I wouldn't know because I can't stick my head into a wall to see. I typed my previous post in the same panicked energy as jerry in that scene sorry that it came across as a legitimate rant?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it's just the Steven Universe fanbase spillover into this thread, or if this show just seems to attract the kinds of fans that like to take the argument out of the jurisdiction of the goddamn show and also try to keep it there, because in the words of Dan Harmon: "I can't hear you! Because I have a bigger point to make!"

I don't mind people saying this show's comedy is insensitive. That's never been in dispute - it is, blatantly so. But it's also done with actual craftsmanship and forethought, and that results in it also being goddamn funny. You disagree? Then I don't see how you making your objection known ITT via an argument as opposed to just a quick quip will convince anyone otherwise, other than just produce another half a dozen posts of :ughh: for others to read.

This kind of comedy walks a fine line between pushing boundaries and just being kind of tasteless and crass. Rick and Morty has a good success rate obviously but IMO not a perfect one. It's impossible in here to just say "that part was gross I didn't like it" and go ahead with your day, because certain people can't grasp that it's only a criticism of how a joke landed for you, and not like a cry for censorship or an accusation against the creators.

The people taking the discussion away from the show are the people who start griping about tumblr sjw loony left hipsters when anything at all socially-minded comes up, which is all the time because those are exactly the boundaries the show pushes. Stop giving a gently caress about other people giving a gently caress

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hazo posted:

This last episode had a great example of one of the best parts of the show, how they constantly break the fourth wall and call out cliched plotlines (or tropes if you want to use that word with all its baggage) and address them up front. Like how at the beginning Morty didn't want to go down because he knew they'd get hit with a rock and crash or something, which is exactly the direction 99% of shows would take.

Then later you had Rick's "The candy bars! You know, from the first act!"

Also Rick's "Oh hey it's you!" "Yes, it's me" with the old timer. Ya knew he was going to come back, so they just brush aside any fanfare.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
This was a really goddamn great episode and my personal favorite from season 2. No drawn out Beth and Jerry failing marriage plotline, no Rick being a pointless dick for the sake of being a dick, no filler, just good ol Rick and Morty a hundred years having, having their w-w-wild adventures and just ge*BURAAP*getting in all sorts of, hijinks.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tempo 119 posted:

The people taking the discussion away from the show are the people who start griping about tumblr sjw loony left hipsters when anything at all socially-minded comes up, which is all the time because those are exactly the boundaries the show pushes. Stop giving a gently caress about other people giving a gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzLyPqko8w

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'll never tire of Morty horrified "Oooooooooh" when things go to poo poo.

While looking for suitable MP3 ringtones, I found this:

https://soundcloud.com/theletter10/sets/rick-and-morty-episode-5

https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/1w3d24/rick_and_morty_clips_use_for_ringtones_message/

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Someone make a gif of Morty's "smear it all over your face" movement.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
I like that this was just a 'rick and morty' episode, even the show recognised this.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I know by "Get a job" they more mean "Get out of my life", but given Rick's infinite possibility space adventures I'm surprised his family is ever in need of, like... money.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This ep really showed that Purges, like in that movie The Purge, that pit the poor against one another are wrong. Instead they should be inclusive of all, no matter their position in the class hierarchy or nipples of differing number and shapes.
The cat people are gonna be just fine.

Also, Purgenol free candy? Did they elect cat person Obama on that planet? Is cat person Michelle on a crusade against trans fats and purgenol?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I know by "Get a job" they more mean "Get out of my life", but given Rick's infinite possibility space adventures I'm surprised his family is ever in need of, like... money.

Rick spends most of it on flurbos to upgrade his GLADOS ship, probably. Fair enough too, after all Rick's adventures are his own (in that he's the one that makes them happen), why shouldn't his money be too?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MariusLecter posted:

This ep really showed that Purges, like in that movie The Purge, that pit the poor against one another are wrong. Instead they should be inclusive of all, no matter their position in the class hierarchy or nipples of differing number and shapes.
The cat people are gonna be just fine.

Also, Purgenol free candy? Did they elect cat person Obama on that planet? Is cat person Michelle on a crusade against trans fats and purgenol?

Yeah the "Purgenol Free" bit seems like it was a really clunky way to get it across that Rick was lying to Morty to protect his character. Wouldn't Purgenol riddled food be problematic on a planet where it only happens once a year?

They could've just had "INGREDIENTS: JUST CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL, NO PURGENOL HERE" or whatever.

I blame this on Typical.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Motherfucker posted:

I think they could probably do a evil Morty episode and wrap that poo poo up in one. That said I don't think the show lends itself to protracted plotting. It'd be more like something they should bust out when they figure out an entertaining way to rip off the doppleganger plot.

I'd like to see them do a something like Venture Brothers "Escape from the House of the Mummies Part 2." You know just have an episode that's the second part of a three episode story and they never show the first or third parts.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

johntfs posted:

I'd like to see them do a something like Venture Brothers "Escape from the House of the Mummies Part 2." You know just have an episode that's the second part of a three episode story and they never show the first or third parts.

I'd also like to see this. Maybe even with a not-so-subtle nod to VB as the inspiration.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mutation posted:

Yeah the "Purgenol Free" bit seems like it was a really clunky way to get it across that Rick was lying to Morty to protect his character. Wouldn't Purgenol riddled food be problematic on a planet where it only happens once a year?

They could've just had "INGREDIENTS: JUST CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL, NO PURGENOL HERE" or whatever.

I blame this on Typical.

I actually liked the Purgenol reveal. Typical did a good job on that prop.

I just don't like that some cat government bureaucrat is telling cat people how and when they get their Purgenol.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think that this show would be perfectly capable of doing a (semi) serious overarching story episode. The key is that they do only one or two a season instead of going all the way up their own rear end.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mutation posted:

I blame this on Typical.

They did this so there wouldn't be any debate as to whether or not Morty was having his true colors emerge. Of course, I'm sure someone will now argue that the manufacturer of that candy bar actually lied about it being "Purgenol free" as some sort of social experiment or something.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I think that this show would be perfectly capable of doing a (semi) serious overarching story episode. The key is that they do only one or two a season instead of going all the way up their own rear end.

I think there's enough serial television with lots of character development and overarching plotlines on TV already. I like that each episode isn't necessarily before or after another and that the consequences of each adventure aren't necessarily addressed each episode. If you want to watch something that's rich with plot go watch Lost or something.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

They did this so there wouldn't be any debate as to whether or not Morty was having his true colors emerge. Of course, I'm sure someone will now argue that the manufacturer of that candy bar actually lied about it being "Purgenol free" as some sort of social experiment or something.

It's like MSG, they all think it's what's causing their thirst for a purge, but really it's because they ate 10 pounds of candy and it made them cranky.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The problem with an overarching plotline is that it would put a lot of requirements on the show, when one of it's biggest strength is it's balls-to-the-walls insanity. Thanks to devices like the portal gun and the spaceship, you basically have no idea what kind of genre or story you will get any given week. Actually introducing a lot of recurring elements would really weaken that aspect of the show and only give us very little in return, since the new generation of TV shows are almost all entirely arc based. Stuff like streaming and DVRs has actually made continuity the element that brings people back instead of the one that keeps viewers out.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 28, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JT Jag posted:

For example... having one of the characters actually be from a different dimension, who reveals that he actually replaced the dead version of himself?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mutation posted:

I blame this on Typical.

That was the joke, that's why Rick said 'your character remains intact', the entire joke was that he was lying and making up an absurd thing like a magic food additive that makes you purge. You have to have the punchline come quickly to make that joke work, you can't linger or whatever, it has to be 'uh yea there's purge juice in here don't worry man you remain the same old Morty *quick zoom to show the label saying HA HA WHAT NO PURGE JUICE and then the end*'.

Also the 'purgenol free' thing implies it used to have purgenol, which is also funny.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While watching the show, several times I heard the same soundbite of a woman fighting going Highya!, then I realized I've heard that same soundbite in other things and games, is that basically a type of wilheim scream that gets used over and over?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While watching the show, several times I heard the same soundbite of a woman fighting going Highya!, then I realized I've heard that same soundbite in other things and games, is that basically a type of wilheim scream that gets used over and over?

Oh poo poo....

My man!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

EL BROMANCE posted:

For example... having one of the characters actually be from a different dimension, who reveals that he actually replaced the dead version of himself?
Nah, that's stupid, no one would like that.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Fellbat posted:

I like that this was just a 'rick and morty' episode, even the show recognised this.

This one is totally going to be my new go-to episode to introduce people to the series.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm almost wondering if the family doesn't actually need the income from Jerry, they just want him to have a job so that he's gone from the house.

Mutation posted:

Yeah the "Purgenol Free" bit seems like it was a really clunky way to get it across that Rick was lying to Morty to protect his character.
The Purgenol Free joke came off a little bit too telegraphed and on-the-nose to really hit that funny spot for me, but the rest of the episode was amazing so it works out fine. Meta humor's a thin line, and Rick and Morty pulls it off really well the vast majority of the time.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

fade5 posted:

I'm almost wondering if the family doesn't actually need the income from Jerry, they just want him to have a job so that he's gone from the house.
This is exactly the case, no need to wonder. I mean at the end of the episode, did Beth actually seem worried about the money, or what he was spending it on?

So if they really don't have to worry about money, why was he asking Summer for some? Just to call Taddy Mason without leaving a money trail?

• Locked thread