Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

Cool. Any particular crashes in mind? If we made a quick list here I would take things off it as time allows.

When I wrote that I was thinking of the theme change crash and the custom keyboard crash. It sounds like they're both already sorted out!

I'll make a new beta (and release candidate I guess) build in a few hours with whatever's on master branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Let's see if I can articulate this well.

I'm getting a crash any time a text editor comes up (edit, reply, quote) if I have already replied, edited, or quoted once in a session of using the app. Then when I relaunch the app it starts me at the thread I was viewing directly before I views the one I'm replying to.

I post a reply to the formula 1 thread just fine. I then go back to bookmarks, read the Forza Motorsport 6 thread, and post a reply. As soon as the editor comes up to type my reply into the app crashes. When I restart the app I'm back in the formula 1 thread.

It's happened with the last few betas. I'm using iOS 9.0.1 on an iPhone 6S but I saw the same thing on the 6+ last week.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Two usability suggestions:

* Add an option to convert any gif URL in an img/timg tag to a URL tag instead. I think even an iPad Pro would be murdered trying to view animated gifs. A pro enhancement to this would be to detect that it's hosted on Imgur/Gifycat/whatever and make the URL point to the HTML5 version. (I don't know how that would work with static gifs, but do people still use those?)

* Fix up the image viewer. I hate how it doesn't resize the image when you rotate your phone. Also, closing the viewer is infuriatingly hard and I end up frantically pounding the close link to kill the drat thing. The Twitter app has a wonderful image viewer; if it could work as well as that I would be ecstatic.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

david_a posted:

Two usability suggestions:

* Add an option to convert any gif URL in an img/timg tag to a URL tag instead. I think even an iPad Pro would be murdered trying to view animated gifs. A pro enhancement to this would be to detect that it's hosted on Imgur/Gifycat/whatever and make the URL point to the HTML5 version. (I don't know how that would work with static gifs, but do people still use those?)

* Fix up the image viewer. I hate how it doesn't resize the image when you rotate your phone. Also, closing the viewer is infuriatingly hard and I end up frantically pounding the close link to kill the drat thing. The Twitter app has a wonderful image viewer; if it could work as well as that I would be ecstatic.

The big problem with the html5 gifs is that as soon as one appears onscreen, it fucks up any other media that's playing to prepare to show it. Having an html5 gif on screen at all in every app I've ever used stops my music or AirPlay session and makes me loving insane. It's not a problem the app can solve, it's a hosed up iOS thing, but if we starting autoloading .gifv I'd probably stop using the app entirely.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vegastar posted:

The big problem with the html5 gifs is that as soon as one appears onscreen, it fucks up any other media that's playing to prepare to show it. Having an html5 gif on screen at all in every app I've ever used stops my music or AirPlay session and makes me loving insane. It's not a problem the app can solve, it's a hosed up iOS thing, but if we starting autoloading .gifv I'd probably stop using the app entirely.

I don't know what Twitter does with gifs in it's official app but it lets you manually decide to play them (if you change the autoplay setting) and it doesn't disrupt music. It's actually one of a few reasons I haven't gone back to Tweetbot.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

101 posted:

I don't know what Twitter does with gifs in it's official app but it lets you manually decide to play them (if you change the autoplay setting) and it doesn't disrupt music. It's actually one of a few reasons I haven't gone back to Tweetbot.

It'd be real nice to get that OS wide, that's for sure. I can't use the Facebook app at all while air playing anything because as soon as one of those loving videos shows up it stops everything. Regardless, something to think about if we're talking html5.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just want a music/podcast player that won't ever get cut off.

I know it's possible, I've got a sleep sounds app called Sleep Genius that keeps playing no matter what else happens. Is there really no music app that'll do the same? So tired of other apps getting to shut off my audio.

E- wait this isn't the iOS apps thread, my bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vegastar posted:

I meant it as a real link, not replacing the viewable image. Although that would be better as long as you could start/stop them manually. I can't say I've noticed your problem but I don't multitask like that. It sounds like something is treating it like a video with sound instead of just the video part.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind being able to optionally embed .gifv videos as the H.264 video link from imgur or Gfycat, if those supported embedding. Hell, I'd even like it if mobile data mode could automatically proxy large GIFs through Gfycat or Imgur. I don't know if Imgur has deduplication, but Gfycat does.

It should be possible to embed a video player that doesn't interrupt audio playback, since these videos usually don't have audio. Most of the crap embedded on Facebook has audio, and I don't know if they even provide a way for their app to not auto play videos. Maybe try the Paper client instead?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I wrote some code to only show a still frame for Imgur GIFs until you tap on them. Once you tap on them it will load the normal GIF, not the MP4, so it won't interfere with background audio. Needs testing and probably some tweaking, but it seems to make GIF-heavy threads much more readable to me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I wrote some code to only show a still frame for Imgur GIFs until you tap on them. Once you tap on them it will load the normal GIF, not the MP4, so it won't interfere with background audio. Needs testing and probably some tweaking, but it seems to make GIF-heavy threads much more readable to me.
This sounds perfect. Gif-heavy threads are a pain because they completely freeze the app and my phone (and my computer too) until the gifs load and even then they rarely play well. Having a first-frame still of a gif that you can load and play on command would be great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I accidentally turned images off and it was kind of nice. The only problem was there was no indication if an image link was something that was going to expand in the app, or a link someone posted that would open in the web view.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It should be fairly trivial to show some kind of image icon next to linkified images. The hardest part should be coming up with the right icon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We'll want a play-button overlay for the (awesome) imgur GIF poster image too.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

We'll want a play-button overlay for the (awesome) imgur GIF poster image too.

You might want to check out Gifffer, which already does this (stops animations from playing, and adds a play-button overlay to the gif)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That still loads the entire gif before stopping it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

That still loads the entire gif before stopping it.

No it doesn't. It only fully loads the animation when you click the play button. In my app, on the first page of the PYF GIF thread, with the library on, I get around 190 MB of memory used. Without it, It goes to around 500 MB.

That, or the visual studio resource manager is lying to me, or the webview in WinRT is wacky. The former could be true, the latter totally is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hmm, or it could be something with their demo page and firefox.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Any idea why scrolling the thread list is slow and choppy on iOS 9? I haven't updated the app when that happened. And even after updating the app the problem persists. This is on iPhone 5.

Thanks for the great app 😘

e: weirdly the threads scroll just fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Any idea why scrolling the thread list is slow and choppy on iOS 9? I haven't updated the app when that happened. And even after updating the app the problem persists. This is on iPhone 5.

Thanks for the great app 😘

There was a misbehaving autolayout constraint, it's been fixed and will be in the next update.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

There was a misbehaving autolayout constraint, it's been fixed and will be in the next update.

Thank you :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drastic Actions posted:

No it doesn't. It only fully loads the animation when you click the play button. In my app, on the first page of the PYF GIF thread, with the library on, I get around 190 MB of memory used. Without it, It goes to around 500 MB.

That, or the visual studio resource manager is lying to me, or the webview in WinRT is wacky. The former could be true, the latter totally is.

It's almost certainly retrieving the full image file, but not decoding it. You can easily test: wait for the page to finish loading, go into airplane mode, and see what happens when you click the play button.

E: it removes the image from the document after snapping the first frame or so, but in Chrome and Firefox the full image is downloaded per the network logs.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 28, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Do you think the app will ever have Peek/3D touch poo poo? That'd be cool as hell

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Someone's already been working on it. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Someone's already been working on it. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Very cool.

Thanks as always to everyone who works on this app, it's cool that people keep improving my Dead Gay Forums on iOS experience

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Do you think the app will ever have Peek/3D touch poo poo? That'd be cool as hell

What would you have Peek/3D activate? Curious about what people are looking for it to do for them.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What would you have Peek/3D activate? Curious about what people are looking for it to do for them.

Peek/pop for threads when you're viewing the list. first post or whatever post you left off on if you've already viewed it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
3D press the app icon to post a cuck* thread in GBS

*or whatever the GBS meme of the moment is

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Need to create a GBS Meme As A Service startup here.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

I would love being able to 3D press a post and have it pop up the quote/user info/etc options that are currently available under the … menu.

Not sure if that's logistically possible though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

It's almost certainly retrieving the full image file, but not decoding it. You can easily test: wait for the page to finish loading, go into airplane mode, and see what happens when you click the play button.

E: it removes the image from the document after snapping the first frame or so, but in Chrome and Firefox the full image is downloaded per the network logs.

Well yeah, that's what I meant :v:.

Of course it downloads the full gif. All I meant was that it didn't autoplay it (meaning, didn't load the animation into memory until you hit the play button). That's all I was concerned about for my app, since that's where a good portion of memory issues come up; actually playing the animation, not downloading it in the first place. Of course, I could be misinterpreting what the webview is doing with the gifs, but my memory stats with my app should be right. :shrug:

edit: I could have also read more about the situation you guys are having with gifs in the first place before I gave my input.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Peek/pop for threads when you're viewing the list. first post or whatever post you left off on if you've already viewed it.

I put in a pull request for it here. I'm still plugging away at making it suck less, but I don't really know swift and really don't get objective c. It should be functional with what I have though.

lelandjs posted:

I would love being able to 3D press a post and have it pop up the quote/user info/etc options that are currently available under the … menu.

Not sure if that's logistically possible though.

There are peek/pop APIs for webview links exist, so maybe it's possible for some elements?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*banme thread

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

External links would be great.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

carry on then posted:

*banme thread

Ooh yeah.

Actual suggestion: if I could somehow 3D press the icon and go to one of my bookmarked sub forums that would be pretty neat.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Any idea when this beautiful app will be updated. No idea why but the hitchy scrolling really bothers me

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions posted:

There are peek/pop APIs for webview links exist, so maybe it's possible for some elements?

So I just played around with using allowsLinkPreview on the posts web view. It does work for external links, but it treats all links as external, meaning that things that should stay in the app (links to other threads, other view controllers) won't work. As far as I can tell, you can't handle the actual peek/pop event yourself like you can with native code, so it seems to be at the mercy of the web view.

I'm probably missing major stuff though, so maybe you can do it and I don't see it? I don't know :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

GutBomb posted:

Let's see if I can articulate this well.

I'm getting a crash any time a text editor comes up (edit, reply, quote) if I have already replied, edited, or quoted once in a session of using the app. Then when I relaunch the app it starts me at the thread I was viewing directly before I views the one I'm replying to.

I post a reply to the formula 1 thread just fine. I then go back to bookmarks, read the Forza Motorsport 6 thread, and post a reply. As soon as the editor comes up to type my reply into the app crashes. When I restart the app I'm back in the formula 1 thread.

It's happened with the last few betas. I'm using iOS 9.0.1 on an iPhone 6S but I saw the same thing on the 6+ last week.

I think I know what's going on here, though managing to recreate and fix it will still be a challenge. I will add it to the list and take a gander. (If anyone's interested: it sounds to me like a Core Data error when trying to save something, so bad data gets stuck somewhere and causes both the crash and rolling back to the next-to-last thread seen.)

david_a posted:

The trick here is that we don't know that it's a GIF until after it's loaded. It's tough to work out something sensible that actually works better than the "show images" toggle in settings. I'm glad we keep attacking the problem though, we'll think of something (and it looks like we're on to something for Imgur at least!).

david_a posted:

I wrote it myself and it is pretty lovely. I should poke around and see if there are any decent open source ones around. Seems silly for everyone to reinvent the wheel.

Diabolik900 posted:

This sounds awesome. Gimme a day or two to check out the PR and we'll get it landed.

The Dave posted:

I accidentally turned images off and it was kind of nice. The only problem was there was no indication if an image link was something that was going to expand in the app, or a link someone posted that would open in the web view.

That's a good idea!

Drastic Actions posted:

I put in a pull request for it here. I'm still plugging away at making it suck less, but I don't really know swift and really don't get objective c. It should be functional with what I have though.

Looks great! It'll probably be a day or two before I actually look over it, so hold tight.

CancerStick posted:

Any idea when this beautiful app will be updated. No idea why but the hitchy scrolling really bothers me

It's waiting to be reviewed. Depending on the die roll, we might have it sometime next week.

Drastic Actions posted:

So I just played around with using allowsLinkPreview on the posts web view. It does work for external links, but it treats all links as external, meaning that things that should stay in the app (links to other threads, other view controllers) won't work. As far as I can tell, you can't handle the actual peek/pop event yourself like you can with native code, so it seems to be at the mercy of the web view.

I'm probably missing major stuff though, so maybe you can do it and I don't see it? I don't know :shrug:

There's a Russian reversal joke in here somewhere about UI controls and web views. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if any of these are true: maybe we can hook into the web view's previewing abilities, maybe we can just handle it ourselves, maybe we can convince the webview to let us get in between. I'll take a look when I look at the PR. So far I haven't looked at any of the 3D Touch-related APIs.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

There's a Russian reversal joke in here somewhere about UI controls and web views. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if any of these are true: maybe we can hook into the web view's previewing abilities, maybe we can just handle it ourselves, maybe we can convince the webview to let us get in between.

I've been trying to do that, but I can't find any event handler I can tap into. I can't find anything in the docs about it, other than allowing the web view to do 3D touch at all. My hope would have been to use that event handler for when the user did touch on the link, then run the same code that already handles URLs to figure out where it needs to go, but then show that view controller in the preview view controller before popping it up. :(

I've closed and reopened my PR so it comes from a feature branch (before it was from master, because I thought I would not want to add more features. I was wrong :v:) and I might add option overflows to that preview view too. The same ones you would get if you long pressed on the thread.

Edit:

And now I added them :)

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 29, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The UK politics thread in D&D has a new tag due to our Prime Minister loving a pig. Please do the needful. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm currently using 3.6 in landscape mode but the app is displaying as if I am holding the iPad in portrait mode; that is, the bottom is off the screen and there is a vertical bar to the right with nothing in it, although the keyboard is working correctly for landscape. If I unlock rotation and turn the iPad, the top right corner now lines up correctly but the rest of the screen is in landscape layout and falls off the left side of the screen. I was in locked landscape and switched to a browser then back again, and when I got back the awful app had switched to being in portrait. I'm going to close/open the app and I expect this should fix things. Can't tell if this is a known bug or not it's pretty hard to navigate everything while it's stuck like this so apologies if this is a repeat. Thanks for putting a direct link to this thread in the app, I would have had trouble getting here otherwise.

• Locked thread