Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

That they pay an effective rate at or near 40%, schmuck.

Citation seriously needed.

Radbot posted:

Did you include state taxes? Again, you clearly don't know anybody in Silicon Valley if you don't think think people can and do pay 40% effective rates when the state portion is factored in. I say SV because there are a lot of wealthy wage earners (as opposed to investors, etc.) there.

If you include state taxes, in most cases you have to hit $750,000 or more a year in order to hit 40% total, sometimes you have to go into the millions. Many states only go up to single digit upper level tax rates, and often only after rather high bars. In Massachusetts for instance, which has fairly high income taxes, the tip over point is around $780,000 per year assuming just the same sort of deductions that an average dude making $50,000 would also qualify for. For California, it looks to be around $425,000 a year that you tip over 40%, which is a salary well beyond most "common rich" folks like your standard doctor doing pretty well for himself, or lawyer, or whatever.

Obviously you're at the point where you can afford an accountant with pocket change too, and probably take that number down a fair way with minimal effort, since you're earning over 3/4 of a million per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

State income taxes are federally deductible and no one is counting the state portion when they're talking about federal income tax. No one in the 40% federal bracket is paying anything close to a 40% effective federal income tax rate.

and they're not supposed to, because that's not how marginal tax brackets work

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

Did you include state taxes? Again, you clearly don't know anybody in Silicon Valley if you don't think think people can and do pay 40% effective rates when the state portion is factored in. I say SV because there are a lot of wealthy wage earners (as opposed to investors, etc.) there.

Good. SV techno nerds are the reason the 9ers are basically a flaming turd.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Radbot posted:

This line works a little bit better on Jamie Dimon than it does the junior product manager at a small startup, in my opinion.

The line is for the people who have a role in taxing said product manager or the poor who benefit through a better funded social safety net. Sure, it's easier if everyone is on board, but my heart doesn't bleed because the really wealthy guy doesn't feel all that wealthy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

IIANAL, but my understanding is that double jeopardy does not apply if new outstanding implicating evidence is found, but in that case it's harder to get old evidence into trial.

Theoretically if he did something profoundly stupid like actually admitting to murdering a person in cold blood on Twitter as evidence, but it could just as easily get thrown out with a lawyer saying "My client was just joking, he doesn't know how to Internet and said a thing in poor taste." and it would be really hard to prosecute.

Double jeopardy is jurisdictional. So Florida couldn't retry him no matter what he said or did. However, the federal government, if it had a charge it could support in court, could take a whack at him.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Citation seriously needed.

If you include state taxes, in most cases you have to hit $750,000 or more a year in order to hit 40% total, sometimes you have to go into the millions. Many states only go up to single digit upper level tax rates, and often only after rather high bars. In Massachusetts for instance, which has fairly high income taxes, the tip over point is around $780,000 per year assuming just the same sort of deductions that an average dude making $50,000 would also qualify for. For California, it looks to be around $425,000 a year that you tip over 40%, which is a salary well beyond most "common rich" folks like your standard doctor doing pretty well for himself, or lawyer, or whatever.

But what about all the poor junior product managers making $500k a year in Silicon Valley

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Series DD Funding posted:

I wouldn't call not taxing money we currently sort of tax "closing a loophole"

I mean, we already don't tax foreign profits til they come back to the US. It wouldn't be all that big of a shift - most of the problems stem less from whether we're territorial or global and more from the rules on what deductions count that allow profitable use of tax inversions by assigning value in foreign low tax jurisdictions and debt in the US/high tax jurisdictions. Those are the bigger problems, not whether we tax when the money comes back to the US or not.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bob Ojeda posted:

But what about all the poor junior product managers making $500k a year in Silicon Valley

They're the ones who are going to allow the GOP to make a successful pivot to libertarianism, thanks to being painted in the same light as Martin Shrekli or whatever the gently caress his name is

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bob Ojeda posted:

If they exist, there aren't many of them. You've got a pretty skewed view of you think that's at all reasonable.

Either that or I need to brush up my resume in a big way.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 28, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

They're the ones who are going to allow the GOP to make a successful pivot to libertarianism, thanks to being painted in the same light as Martin Shrekli or whatever the gently caress his name is

Oh no they're going Galt :ohdear: Why didn't we listen!

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If they exist, there aren't many of them. You've got a pretty skewed view of you thing that's at all reasonable.

Lots and lots and lots of sovereign wealth funds own property in the bay. KSA, China, etc., all of these countries that can confiscate superwealth due to political concerns have megabux stored in god honest American Real Estate (tm) in a City They've Heard Of (tm) so that when uncle gets locked up in an insane asylum their overseas kids in college will have something to fall back on. Like an apartment building or twelve.

Silicon Valley is one of the ways money translates into productive activity. Because our economy is so hosed up and distorted, and there's so much capital sloshing around, it's hard to find new things to invest in that make money. Think of it like inflation, except instead of paying more for rakes, we're paying more for what is becoming less and less viable in this broken economy: An actual, new, productive enterprise.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

No they aren't, because like 8 guys in Mountain View aren't a viable national or even regional base.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If they exist, there aren't many of them. You've got a pretty skewed view of you thing that's at all reasonable.

He was being sarcastic about startup darlings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The next time a Republican wins the White House they will win Silicon Valley.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

So, never?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

So, never?

Depends on if the Republican Party goes back to their big business roots.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

quote:

With John Boehner now departing as House speaker, an influential Republican Party official is now seeking the ouster of another GOP leader who has frustrated conservatives: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/27/mitch-mcconnell-pushed-resign-senate-majority-lead/?page=all

:getin:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radbot posted:

lol no they won't. what's going to happen is that the GOP's army of racists and theocrats is going to finally buck off the establishment leadership, and the party will become a far-right populist rump governing what are now red states and being marginalized at a national level

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 28, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can't cut back on tax cuts! You will regret this!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So are they just trying to burn down their house while their still in it? Like, it's almost like they are suicidal.

icantfindaname posted:

lol no they won't. what's going to happen is that the GOP's army of racists and theocrats is going to finally buck off the establishment leadership, and the party will become a far-right populist rump governing what are now red states and being marginalized at a national level

A Split in the Repbulican and Democratic party would be a good thing. More parties!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Unlikely, most of them never bother to vote.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Actually because our God is malevolent and hates us the Republicans look like they will be strong enough at a national level to basically shut down the federal government for a long time

But a pivot to SF techie soft-libertarianism is never going to happen. It would require them to drop the social issues that fuel the base which has taken control of the party, and it's an insignificant demographic numerically

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Don't confuse "the new interns" with Silicon Valley.

I think you'd find that in fact middle aged suburban middle class economic conservatives do tend to vote.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you'd find that in fact middle aged suburban middle class economic conservatives do tend to vote.

The problem is that the traditional white flight suburban middle class conservative and the SF techno-libertarian, though economically the same as SF techno-libertarians, are not the same group and people don't vote based entirely on an economic basis, they vote based on self-identification. I predict that that demographic stays Republican to the bitter end, and the SF techno-libertarians stay Democrats. What will happen is that the Reaganite suburban conservative will go extinct because of the slow disintegration of the postwar middle class, and the Republicans will be left with a rump of poor racists, while the Democrats remain the party of the new techno-bourgeoisie

The Republican party sold its soul to white nationalism and theocracy a long time ago, and it won't be able to scam its way out of that deal

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 28, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Create an app that gamifies and promises to disrupt the voting process and you'll see 100% turnout

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We live in historical times friends, as the Benghazi probe is now the longest Congressional investigation of all time.

The previous record holder was some small dustup called "Watergate".

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Good god when did the Washington Times' site become absolute poo poo?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zoux posted:

We live in historical times friends, as the Benghazi probe is now the longest Congressional investigation of all time.

Goddamn Republicans are dumb :cripes:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

Good god when did the Washington Times' site become absolute poo poo?

When was their first paper printed?

The times has always been moonie poo poo, the post at least tries to be objective.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Is this one of those times where the turtle is easily turned over onto his back, or will he attempt to bite my finger?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

what exactly do they hope to find? the best outcome the GOP can find is that we should have know about the attacks but the intel got lost in the shuffle/etc.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what exactly do they hope to find? the best outcome the GOP can find is that we should have know about the attacks but the intel got lost in the shuffle/etc.

Nothing, but that's the point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's not even about finding anything. It's about there being an investigation endlessly drumbeating in the background on Fox News so that when people hear "Benghazi" they vaguely remember "bad thing"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They hope to find Hillary's numbers dropping.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They don't expect to find anything. They know there is zero point jack poo poo to find, they knew that years ago. The point is to keep Benghazi :airquote:conspiracy:airquote:, :airquote::airquote:alive:airquote::airquote: so they can whip the mouth breathers that are their base into a constant state of frenzy and give politicians red meat to throw to their constituents.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Job Truniht posted:

I hate to say it, but this is a thing that should happen unironically.

Nonsense posted:

Good ideas are meaningless if they're dependent upon unspeakable policy. Only hope is CNN or something spots what you noticed, and brings it up, creates enough of a stir with the question to get Dems to think about the issue as well in their own debates/policies.

Just to clarify, he doesn't do that. He singles out the mortgage interest deduction to stay:

quote:

Charitable giving and mortgage interest deductions will remain unchanged for all taxpayers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anything new regarding the debt ceiling?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not even about finding anything. It's about there being an investigation endlessly drumbeating in the background on Fox News so that when people hear "Benghazi" they vaguely remember "bad thing"
They have succeeded even outside of Republican circles. Reading/following the Libyan Civil War (old and new) is a strange experience since I'm constantly reminded that Benghazi is a real place and not just a talking point used by assholes.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 28, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

zoux posted:

If we're getting the Permanent Benghazi Investigation Committee from Alpha House, can ws get the high-profile Republican lesbian marriage too?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mcmagic posted:

Trump's tax plan will probably be the least odious of any GOP candidate...

It can't be that much better than the poo poo they normally offer if Grover Norquist gave it his approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ted Cruz just moved to table the senate's clean CR, couldn't get a second. He is now railing against the senate GOP leadership for vowing no shutdown

• Locked thread