Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Norns posted:

I should start reading Dr Strange.

That's from New Avengers, but you should read Doctor Strange when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Does he have gadgets and tons of contingency plans like Batman? I thought he was just Murderman.

Yes, believe it or not. All of his contingency plans basically involve making sure no innocent person ever gets killed by him when he goes on a bad guy kill-spree (it still happens, but I think his official innocent kill count is still in single digits)

And if you count every conceivable bladed weapon, firearm, or other military piece of hardware "gadgets" then double yes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Yes, believe it or not. All of his contingency plans basically involve making sure no innocent person ever gets killed by him when he goes on a bad guy kill-spree (it still happens, but I think his official innocent kill count is still in single digits)

And if you count every conceivable bladed weapon, firearm, or other military piece of hardware "gadgets" then double yes.

To be fair, every gun show dude who's hawking a regiment's worth of ordinance being willing to sell under the table to the living embodiment of the 2nd amendment/Tough On Crime Man is like, the least unlikely part of the punisher

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Frank has friends supporters in the military and law enforcement who give him access to armories and evidence lockers.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I wouldn't be surprised if he's also made a habit of snagging dead mobster wallets and cashing out their bank accounts.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

redstormpopcorn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's also made a habit of snagging dead mobster wallets and cashing out their bank accounts.

That's how he pays for all of his safehouses, vehicles, and MREs, but I can't really see him buying illegal firearms and not killing the dealer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Avulsion posted:

That's how he pays for all of his safehouses, vehicles, and MREs, but I can't really see him buying illegal firearms and not killing the dealer.

Aaron's run on Punisher Max dealt with this specific thing.

Before that, Microchip handled that sort of thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People complain about Batman having a billion contingency plans but nothing about Punisher apparently having a black-belt in every martial art ever?

(from Welcome Back, Frank)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm looking for something I've seen posted in at least one iteration of this thread.

It's Frankenstein('s Monster) fighting some kind of deity of decay and disease and death, and the disease god is puzzled that he can't simply consume Frankenstein, and the response is along the lines of "I'm neither alive nor dead, I'm SCIENCE." It's way better than I'm making it sound.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I'm looking for something I've seen posted in at least one iteration of this thread.

It's Frankenstein('s Monster) fighting some kind of deity of decay and disease and death, and the disease god is puzzled that he can't simply consume Frankenstein, and the response is along the lines of "I'm neither alive nor dead, I'm SCIENCE." It's way better than I'm making it sound.

That sounds familiar. It might be from Morrison's Frankenstein mini from 7 Soldiers?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Are you thinking about Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE? Because it sounds like the Red/Green/Rot arc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Maybe it's this? Sounds kinda sorta maybe what you're looking for? He's fighting a monster made by the Rot, the primordial force of death.

(source is Frankentein Agent of SHADE #9 btw)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He is also three parts shrek.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TwoPair posted:

Maybe it's this? Sounds kinda sorta maybe what you're looking for? He's fighting a monster made by the Rot, the primordial force of death.

Frankenstein vs the Thing...I like it. The art looks nice, too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I thought "Person, Agent of A.C.R.O.N.Y.M." was a Marvel shtick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I thought "Person, Agent of A.C.R.O.N.Y.M." was a Marvel shtick.

DC stealing from Marvel? Neeeever.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

DC stealing from Marvel? Neeeever.

To be fair, Man Thing first appeared in May 1971 and Swamp thing debuted out in June 1971. This feels a lot more like a whole X-Men/Doom Patrol scenario rather than the Distinguished Competition swiping from Marvel. Especially since there's only two months between the their first appearances.
:goonsay:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You mean both being influenced slightly by 1942's The Heap, my man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

To be fair, Man Thing first appeared in May 1971 and Swamp thing debuted out in June 1971. This feels a lot more like a whole X-Men/Doom Patrol scenario rather than the Distinguished Competition swiping from Marvel. Especially since there's only two months between the their first appearances.
:goonsay:

Yeah I'm sure Len Wein just completely forgot about the Man-Thing story he wrote when he co-created Swamp Thing 2 months later. Total coincidence!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Sometimes a man just loves writing swamp monsters.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Man-Thing is the Hydrox of comics

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

They're bringing back Hydrox. Does that mean it's now Man-Thing's time to shine?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nighthand posted:

They're bringing back Hydrox. Does that mean it's now Man-Thing's time to shine?

We've already had street-talkin' Man-Thing, it's all downhill from there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Man-Thing is the Hydrox of comics

If you'd actually read Gerber's run of Man-Thing you'd realize it crushes even Moore's Swamp Thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lurdiak posted:

If you'd actually read Gerber's run of Man-Thing you'd realize it crushes even Moore's Swamp Thing.

Gerber essentially made Man-Thing as a character. Like, he gave him all his signature stuff. "Whatever knows fear..." etc.

(Everyone should read that run)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaiman cited it as a major influence on his work, specifically Sandman.

Everyone should also read the post-humously published Infernal Man-Thing, which is loving amazing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hydrox were better than Oreos, too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ha ha, I forgot I made this one time.

Not a panel, but I like it anyway.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TwoPair posted:

Yes, exactly this. Thank you. Is the rest of it any good? I kind of want to read it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's good. The only problem with the series as a whole is that it ties into Animal Man and Swamp Thing's Rotworld event at the end. Only whereas both Animal Man and Swamp Thing both continued, Frankenstein's book got canceled, so it just kinda... ended in the middle of a dystopia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rotworld nearly killed all 3 books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It certainly killed my interest in all 3.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SynthOrange posted:

Rotworld nearly killed all 3 books.
It was a Morrison-esque totemic spell that worked rather well then.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From What If v.2 #78. The first badass comic scene I ever read.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The NEW FF was and is better than OG FF.

I don't see how this could ever be in question.

Ben Grimm still my homeboy on Yancy Street, tho.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Let's play "Hulk or Frankenstein Grundy Frankenstein"!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 28, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Was that back when Doc's arms weren't also made of adamantium?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

KayTee posted:

Let's play "Hulk or Frankenstein Grundy Frankenstein"!

Probably Mr Fixit Hulk. Grey Hulk, but smart enough to get decently-tailored clothes. Not as strong as regular Hulk, but strong enough to whoop some rear end.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"What If?! the living embodiment of the unholy spirit of eternal vengeance fought an old guy with wings?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Was that back when Doc's arms weren't also made of adamantium?

Has there ever been a fight between Doc Ock and Omega Red?