Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Robin also has a series of quiet and understated imagination bubbles here and there that are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Are you kidding guys? Her fight with Gladius was one of the coolest yet.

Oh wait...

:negative:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

It's loving magic you nerds
That's "narrative causality" (and also will power (and actual in-universe magic too, why not.))

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Done with Drum Island. Chopper's backstory really hits you where it hurts. Then Luffy hits Wapol where it hurts.

Rereading One Piece, I've come to appreciate how well-paced it is. At least so far. Back when I first got into manga I preferred series that were tightly-plotted like FMA or Urasawa's work (...to a point). One Piece I dismissed as "Meandering," but revisiting it I see that's not the case. Or rather, it is the case, but there's a method to it. A flow.

Getting more excited to finish the bits I've already read so I can forge ahead into fresh new territory.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A second read-around lets you focus on more subtle things, especially stuff in the background, because One Piece has a ton of them. I've always referred to Oda as Chekhov's Arsenal, he's just got an entire closet full of his guns.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Had to order some stuff off Amazon and wanted to get over $35 for the free shipping, so I decided to get this Law figurine since it was a pretty good price and I actually like the design:

http://www.amazon.com/Banpresto-Sculture-Trafalgar-Champions-Figure/dp/B00LWUZ9VM/

Certainly better than getting gouged for it at an anime con or something.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Should have just paid for shipping

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
that general franky though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I gotta say, it's been a while in my reread where I got to an arc I really truly enjoyed but Punk Hazard is awesome, it's refreshing after the comparative snoozer that was Fishman Island, I may even enjoy it more than Thriller Bark. From all the bodyswitching antics to Zoro's battle against the snow woman to Sanji becoming the temporary marine captain of a bunch of crooked marines (who ask if it's hurting the giant drug addicted children if they aim for their balls and then decide among themselves it's a gray area), to giant children ODing on amphetamines :lol: I also liked lil bits like Zoro bullying Brook. Mocha scarfing up all the candy truly is one of the really sad moments in the series for me. Samurai are cool and every time Luffy popped up out of nowhere to grab or punch Clown was always a good laugh.
Clown and Vergo are pretty compelling villains, I like Clown's personality and stupidity and after Fishman Island it's refreshing to see the crew against actually deadly opponents.
I'm not done with it and I forget what sorts of things I read people saying about it beforehand (like some of the Fishman Island disappointment and New World length/malaise) but it's pretty entertaining so far.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 28, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh yeah, something else I forgot was Blackbeard getting namedropped early. I always thought of Jaya as his introduction, with neither hide nor hair of him heard of, alluded to, or seen before; then Dalton mentions he destroyed the Drum Kingdom and Ace brings up that he's currently after him.

Oda really does plan ahead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The most important part: Usopp's face is on there now. There's no way his village can deny it's him, which is kinda what I was expecting once the story was over and he went home, that the wanted poster having Sogeking on it would lead to nobody believing he made anything of himself out there. But that's out the window for sure now!

That's because he's going to starve to death on a deserted island because everything he says comes true.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

Also yeah, I just remembered that Luffy practically never knows anyone's backstory when he decides to punch the villain in the face, because he always falls asleep when it's told.

He doesn't even know Nami's backstory; he got bored and walked off!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Why do Caesar Clown and the Funk bros follow western naming conventions?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: Oda made a mad bomber of government buildings named Abdullah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

F. Lobot posted:

Why do Caesar Clown and the Funk bros follow western naming conventions?

The naming conventions in OP are always the weirdest thing to me in general and I don't think much of a lot of them. Like Hody Jones followed the same sort of thing too and tbh Blackbeard and Whitebeard kinda have the same thing too even though their names are that way solely because of their name inspiration.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love that Donquixote is a single given name.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

or was Dolflamingo his given name\

yes google says it was

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It always weirds me out when someone calls Luffy "Monkey"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Surprise! It's a pro wrestling reference. Jeet too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I thought that subtitle was a mistranslation? But yeah, he's based on Abdullah the Butcher, though, a professional wrestler. Many characters in that arc are based on pro wrestlers throughout the history of the sport, the giant, Hajrudin, is straight-up Macho Man Randy Savage and as Begemot said, so's Jeet.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

I think he can push things out of the body that "dont belong" to the body. the exhaustion and wounds came from something not of the body so he was able to remove it. he is also able to move a full body but i dont think he can pull a spirit away from a body (else we'd have likely gotten body swap shenanigans already)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
He could push powers then.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

sharktamer posted:

He could push powers then.

If this was actually a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this was how Vegapunk managed to make so many breakthroughs on Devil Fruit research. What better way to study a fruit's powers than being able to isolate and capture the very essence of one?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

DizzyBum posted:

If this was actually a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if this was how Vegapunk managed to make so many breakthroughs on Devil Fruit research. What better way to study a fruit's powers than being able to isolate and capture the very essence of one?

Or make one with no downside :tinfoil:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DizzyBum posted:

I wonder if Kuma's involvement with Vegapunk led to Devil Fruit innovation (ie being able to control the essence of Devil Fruits by "pushing" them into desired regular fruits to later eat or objects like guns or swords to give them powers) to begin with. So, instead of letting Devil Fruits naturally flow from a dead user to nearby fruit, the DF essence is forcefully manipulated.

Blackbeard probably inverts this through his own method of "pulling" the Devil Fruit powers from others into himself through the Yami Yami no Mi's special powers. All speculation, though. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bullshit, Vegapunk never did anything, it was all done and done better by Caesar Clown

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

Nah, he's only as 'broken' as every other Warlord out there; he's a monster in a fight but not untouchable.

Every Warlord has that 'Ace in the Hole' move that makes them seem horribly broken/unbalanced in the grand scheme of things; Kuma had that massive air pressure nuke, Crocodile has his dryness 'Touch of Death', Doffy has his Birdcage. They're all designed to make them seem like an unstoppable force of nature only to be overcome in the end.

So I mean, yeah, Kuma has some overpowered abilities, but there are a fair chunk of dudes out there that have skills that outrank his spectrum of powers, so I wouldn't say he's the dude with the biggest DF dick on the Grand Line.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Nah, he's only as 'broken' as every other Warlord out there; he's a monster in a fight but not untouchable.

Every Warlord has that 'Ace in the Hole' move that makes them seem horribly broken/unbalanced in the grand scheme of things; Kuma had that massive air pressure nuke, Crocodile has his dryness 'Touch of Death', Doffy has his Birdcage. They're all designed to make them seem like an unstoppable force of nature only to be overcome in the end.

So I mean, yeah, Kuma has some overpowered abilities, but there are a fair chunk of dudes out there that have skills that outrank his spectrum of powers, so I wouldn't say he's the dude with the biggest DF dick on the Grand Line.

What makes Kuma really broken isn't the air pressure attack, but the send-you-to-the-other-side-of-the-world attack. If he hadn't been secretly helping the Straw Hats, he could have killed them by sending them into the middle of the ocean.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I think that Kuma only seemed overpowered because he was and the gulf of power was simply too much for the Strawhats. Even without the send-you-flying attack he would have wiped out the Strawhats at Sabaody with the added bonus that they'd be ripe picking for the Marines to capture them all. If you're strong enough to hold your own against Kuma then I doubt that send-you-flying attack is really a threat.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I wonder if Kuma's involvement with Vegapunk led to Devil Fruit innovation (ie being able to control the essence of Devil Fruits by "pushing" them into desired regular fruits to later eat or objects like guns or swords to give them powers) to begin with. So, instead of letting Devil Fruits naturally flow from a dead user to nearby fruit, the DF essence is forcefully manipulated.

Blackbeard probably inverts this through his own method of "pulling" the Devil Fruit powers from others into himself through the Yami Yami no Mi's special powers. All speculation, though. :shrug:

The "being able to steal other users' Devil Fruits" is because he has an atypical body structure, not because of the Yami Yami no Mi.

Of course, the whole point of Blackbeard (besides being the potential evil!Luffy) seems to be that he goes against the stream: He is the only pirate we know of who has no bounty; he's the only one of the Seven Warlords before the timeskip to not have an animal theme, and he's the only warlord who has no bounty (when he used to be a warlord); his first (and main/associated) Devil Fruit is a Logia, yet he can't transform into the Logia's element to avoid damage (and in fact, the Yami Yami actually has a drawback when it comes to avoiding damage); and he's (of course) the only guy who's be able to use two Devil Fruits so far and has explicitly said to be going for even more after the timeskip; and he's the only one we know of who has the initial D. who faces eath with cowardice.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Folt The Bolt posted:

The "being able to steal other users' Devil Fruits" is because he has an atypical body structure, not because of the Yami Yami no Mi.

This still hasn't been proven by anything beyond one line that was incredibly vague and to my reading just implied the opposite.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there are three intentionally vague lines about what makes blackbeard special but no one loving knows for sure

(ps he has more than one soul)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
We don't know how it is that Blackbeard is able to use two devil fruits outside of needing a specific fruit and having an atypical body type. Blackbeard was very adamant about his need to have the darkness fruit for his plans and he must have known somehow that he could take additional powers with it.

Back on the point of Kuma and "pushing" powers into other fruits, I think it's more likely that he was helping Vegapunk create new paramecia fruits by "pushing" the essence of something into a fruit. The two of them were apparently working together which lead to turning Kuma into a cyborg and Vegapunk is closely tied to devil fruits and how they work.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch that if Kuma could push the power into a fruit then Blackbeard could pull the power out of someone (or out of a fruit). The reason the previous users of the darkness fruit weren't known for using other powers is probably because they didn't have the body type to support it. The action of trying it was probably documented and that's why Blackbeard wanted the fruit so bad.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wonder what kind of fruit Kaidou has. It's gotta be a Mythical Zoan fruit of some kind, something that would cause guys like Marco the Phoenix to poo poo a brick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Parrotine posted:

I wonder what kind of fruit Kaidou has. It's gotta be a Mythical Zoan fruit of some kind, something that would cause guys like Marco the Phoenix to poo poo a brick

he's not going to have one and just be insanely strong so nobody can kill him, including gravity

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Parrotine posted:

i hope he has 100 different smile fruits

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

he's not going to have one and just be insanely strong so nobody can kill him, including gravity

Nah, I ain't buying it. He's known as Kaidou of the Beasts, it'd be weird of he was the only dude who had no fruit.

I feel like the only dude who shouldn't have a fruit is Roger or something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i mean if he really wanted to kill himself he could surely drown himself devil fruit or no so who knows.

it would be cool if that title was because all his crew had zoan fruits though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope whenever it gets around to Mihawk's fight that he's just really loving strong and that's it