Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Feenix posted:

Looking for the moon? I have an S plus. I was using Startracker.
I loaded it 3 times and all 3 times it put the moon in completely different cardinal directions.

Not saying it's a phone thing or whatever... But, yeah, I was like, "ummmmmm...."

Yep, booted up my 5 and Sky Guide had no trouble pinpointing it. I'm just wondering if this is a widespread bug or if something's funky with the new phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My compass seems spot on.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Privacy -> Location Services settings for Waze have the options Always or Never. Is there any way to change it to While Using, if not by name then by nature?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

tofes posted:

Yep, booted up my 5 and Sky Guide had no trouble pinpointing it. I'm just wondering if this is a widespread bug or if something's funky with the new phones.

Seems to be a bug that hopefully gets fixed soon

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-iPhone-6s-and-6s-Plus-have-a-gyro-bug-in-AR-apps-devs-scrambling-for-a-fix_id74131

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

Are you sure the scope of what you're doing is small enough for a simple to do app? Wondering if you should try a real project management app like asana.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

The Privacy -> Location Services settings for Waze have the options Always or Never. Is there any way to change it to While Using, if not by name then by nature?

Yeah, there's a power button on the bottom right of the waze menu, the one for navigation. This apparently stops background gps and stuff, but still maintains the calendar integration.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

I asked about this like two weeks ago maybe. I was given good suggestions, but I wound defaulting to the plain old Reminders app. It's worked really well for my needs. It auto syncs across my phone and MacBook (and watch) and it's smart enough to know that "do xyz on Tuesday" will automatically mark the due date for Tuesday, same for whatever time you need it done by. You can create different categories for lists, and you can use Siri to add things to your different lists.

I would give that another shot to see if it's enough for what you need before installing and creating accounts for a bunch of third party apps.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

I asked about this like two weeks ago maybe. I was given good suggestions, but I wound defaulting to the plain old Reminders app. It's worked really well for my needs. It auto syncs across my phone and MacBook (and watch) and it's smart enough to know that "do xyz on Tuesday" will automatically mark the due date for Tuesday, same for whatever time you need it done by. You can create different categories for lists, and you can use Siri to add things to your different lists.

I would give that another shot to see if it's enough for what you need before installing and creating accounts for a bunch of third party apps.

I use Basecamp for this at my work. I run a Network Engineering team and we have a coupla dozen projects going at any given time. Basecamp is way cheaper and less-intense than MS Project, which is sweet but just overkill for basic, day-to-day "keep the team on track" stuff. Has web, iOS and Android apps with good sync across the board. It's not free, but nothing out there that I consider actually good at this kind of thing is.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

OmniFocus is good but expensive, Things is cheaper but slightly simpler, and Todoist is technically free and more on the side of a todo app but still good if you don't need something complicated.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Cool, thanks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Base camp is what we use too but the lack of iOS notifications is a big negative as far as I'm conferred.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tapbots just tweeted that Tweetbot 4.0 (now universal) was submitted to the App Store. No mention of podcast, weather, or password manager support, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Mike posted:

Tapbots just tweeted that Tweetbot 4.0 (now universal) was submitted to the App Store. No mention of podcast, weather, or password manager support, though.

Awesommmme. Is it a free or pay for upgrade?

Just curious I'd be fine with paying $2 for a new one.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any new or updated apps that now take advantage of 3d touch? I can't wait until it becomes a standard feature in most apps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Awesommmme. Is it a free or pay for upgrade?

Just curious I'd be fine with paying $2 for a new one.

I *think* I heard they will be releasing it as a free upgrade to the current version. That might be wishful thinking.

Oh, and Tapbots releasing an app for only $2? It will be at least $5 if you're not upgrade eligible barring a sale (that's their current pricing)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Been a while since I upgraded.. Probably the app I use the most so $5 is alright too. But that's it!!

Of course free upgrade would be the best..

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tweetbot is my poo poo, so if the new one is better, I will absolutely shell out a few bucks for it if I have to. The current one is pretty much fine as it is, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Been a while since I upgraded.. Probably the app I use the most so $5 is alright too. But that's it!!

Of course free upgrade would be the best..

Oh, I agree it's definitely worth it. I just had to chuckle, because everyone online usually bitches about their prices.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tweetbot is my poo poo, so if the new one is better, I will absolutely shell out a few bucks for it if I have to. The current one is pretty much fine as it is, though.

The iPad version is literally straight from 2012, so I've been dying for this update.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slowhanded posted:

The iPad version is literally straight from 2012, so I've been dying for this update.

Yeah even if they just made the current iPhone version universal I'd be happy with that. The ipad one is really showing its age. Also support split screen too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Yeah even if they just made the current iPhone version universal I'd be happy with that. The ipad one is really showing its age. Also support split screen too.

The new version is supposed to be universal.

...which means $9.99 instead of $4.99 :classiclol:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure they've said in the past it will be a free update.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Any new or updated apps that now take advantage of 3d touch? I can't wait until it becomes a standard feature in most apps.
I've been checking all my apps. So far:
Instagram
Camera+
Apple Store
Twitter
Shazam
Things
Acorns

All have 3D Touch actions on the home screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I love the Tapbot apps. But I gotta say, right or wrong in their content, I pretty much hate them every time they tweet or open up their mouths. They just always come across like loving assholes.

But I do love their apps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If you've got separate apps for the same service for iPad and iPhone and aren't thinking of going universal then you're basically the worst kind of dev.

Looking at you, National Rail. :argh:

(NR are literally the worst when it comes to apps. First they had a £5 app, and when their contract with their dev ran out, they released their own with a £5 IAP to disable ads. Because of how NR are structured, their method of purchasing tickets is just a UIWebView browser instead of making the UX you know, actually easy to use)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said in the past it will be a free update.

I've been checking all my apps. So far:
Instagram
Camera+
Apple Store
Twitter
Shazam
Things
Acorns

All have 3D Touch actions on the home screen.
Dropbox and Scanner Pro do too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Dropbox and Scanner Pro do too.
Cool. I don't have Scanner Pro and I would have included Dropbox but I guess I wasn't logged in!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

More 3D Touch apps:

Evernote
Opentable
Citymapper

I know of at least 30 more, but I doubt many people use them.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 29, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Tweetbot 4 looks like white paper and that's it

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I can't really imagine what Tweetbot 4 is going to offer beyond 3 besides 3d touch capabilities.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tofes posted:

I can't really imagine what Tweetbot 4 is going to offer beyond 3 besides 3d touch capabilities.

A non-lovely iPad app, for one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Have third party keyboards improved in the past couple of months? I keep trying to return to Swiftkey but there's still crashing and refusing to load and all that jazz.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Avocados posted:

Have third party keyboards improved in the past couple of months?

No

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Avocados posted:

Have third party keyboards improved in the past couple of months? I keep trying to return to Swiftkey but there's still crashing and refusing to load and all that jazz.

Yes. I’m an avid Nin user and while on 8.4 there were jailbreak tweaks that could allocate Nin more memory to stave off crashes, even with those tweaks Nin was never as stable as it has been in 9.0.1 with a 6s+.

9.0.1 is also much better about restarting the keyboard if it does crash, so while there’s an occasional 1s delay while Nin restarts itself, it’s much better than iOS 8 where Nin would crash and iOS would be unable to restart the keyboard, necessitating force closing the app you were in and pulling down spotlight to reload the keyboard, then going back to the app you were using.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Avocados posted:

I don't have any issues with Swype on 6 different devices. I did disable the stock keyboard though, which seemed to stop any crashing.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bobfather posted:

Yes. I’m an avid Nin user and while on 8.4 there were jailbreak tweaks that could allocate Nin more memory to stave off crashes, even with those tweaks Nin was never as stable as it has been in 9.0.1 with a 6s+.

9.0.1 is also much better about restarting the keyboard if it does crash, so while there’s an occasional 1s delay while Nin restarts itself, it’s much better than iOS 8 where Nin would crash and iOS would be unable to restart the keyboard, necessitating force closing the app you were in and pulling down spotlight to reload the keyboard, then going back to the app you were using.

I guess the 2GB RAM in the new 6s phones help a lot.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slowhanded posted:

Yep, those MFers promised the (free) iPad update for years, while updating the iPhone app multiple times.

It'd have been trivial to make the iPhone version universal *years* ago, the code is near identical. In fact, if you jailbreak and force it to run in fullscreen mode on an iPad it's apparently fine!

Happy enough with Twitterific for now after being forced to use it on iPad for years.

Does the new Tweetbot have a night mode or theming of some sort? That pure-white screenshot looks like it would be un-useable for me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

wooger posted:

Yep, those MFers promised the (free) iPad update for years, while updating the iPhone app multiple times.

It'd have been trivial to make the iPhone version universal *years* ago, the code is near identical. In fact, if you jailbreak and force it to run in fullscreen mode on an iPad it's apparently fine!

Happy enough with Twitterific for now after being forced to use it on iPad for years.

Does the new Tweetbot have a night mode or theming of some sort? That pure-white screenshot looks like it would be un-useable for me.

I’m in the same boat. I bought Tweetbot 2 for iPad and 3 for iPhone. I still use 3 on my phone on a daily basis, but I long ago replaced Tweetbot on my iPad with Twitterific, which is pretty great. I won’t say no to a free upgrade, but I won’t pay to fix something that isn’t broken!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I tried out crystal since it was cheap, and it blocked ads in safari at first, but is now noticeably missing ads for multiple sites. Anyone else see this?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I tried out crystal since it was cheap, and it blocked ads in safari at first, but is now noticeably missing ads for multiple sites. Anyone else see this?

Crystal was a trap. The guy has been receiving poo poo loads of negative feedback because he wants to whitelist some ads. Because of this he dropped from a top spot in the app store out of sight. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he’s stopped maintaining the app altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Most of that negative feedback being traced to the "blocking ads is worse than Hitler" types like Nilay Patel.

Just saying there's a difference between a 32px high banner and an onClick multi-pop-up ad, you know?