Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Agrikk posted:

Larch,

I bet that if you updated your linked in profile and linked it here you'd have a gaggle of references in no time flat. Of course there's the risk of personal info on an internet comedy forum...

yeeeeah probably not doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good idea, don't.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo

How will I post on funny computer forum now?

netcat

larchesdanrew posted:

wise

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

PMs is probably the way to handle that, say your all set and to PM you for a link, pick and choose who you give it to.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know how useful they actually are (my LinkedIn is basically stagnating till I get a more things on-paper to put on it) but there's both the general SA group and an SA IT group as well. Joining them probably wouldn't hurt.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

haha

Internally we use the first letter of your first name, last name naming scheme for e-mail and tickets. One day I had a ticket escalated to me from user abutt. I made sure to show everyone here and laugh because, after all these years, I'm still a literal child.

At a previous job we went with first initial plus last name for user accounts and email. Had a new employee named Samantha Lutz that pleaded with us to be first.last. We refused because slutz @ whatever.com was funny and also we werent allowed to make changes like that without going through the byzantine change board.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pixaal posted:

PMs is probably the way to handle that, say your all set and to PM you for a link, pick and choose who you give it to.

I promise I won't endorse you for Murder (probably).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, I wish I had that sort of leverage. The bottom line, though, is that anyone in power believes just that. CE is hated, but he's a goddamned genius to them, especially the GM. Here's how the conversation will play out:

GM: Well, he researched it and wrote up the information for me, and he says that blah blah is going to be the best option.
CE: He doesn't know anything about it. We can do everything he wants to do with a $30 router from Office Depot without having to run any cables.
GM: Oh, we can? So we can get this whole project done for $30?
CE: Well, yeah.
GM: Why don't we just do that then? No sense in paying someone thousands of dollars to do something we can manage for $30.

That's absolutely as far as it will go. No matter how much research and number crunching and planning I do, it will take just one little fart of a suggestion from CE to be taken as the best option with positively no follow-up or defense on his part.

I honestly don't even care that it gets done. The only reason I'm doing this is that it's an opportunity to research, plan, and deploy an entirely new branch of infrastructure so I can have the experience and be able to brag about it on my resume.

At the very least, I can ransom my resignation and if they call my bluff I can get a job doing cable drops around the state.

Can you like, make any headway with something like the analogy "The CE is offering to do surgery for you for $30, what do you say to someone who offers to do surgery for $30?"

They must have some concept of paying for quality in their lives?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Don't you think they'd have moved someplace else by nowa long time ago if they did?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jerry Cotton posted:

Don't you think they'd have moved someplace else by nowa long time ago if they did?

:vince:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

OwlFancier posted:

Can you like, make any headway with something like the analogy "The CE is offering to do surgery for you for $30, what do you say to someone who offers to do surgery for $30?"

Not a single qualm about paying pennies on the dollar for something that is absolute poo poo. To make the ever appropriate car analogy, why go with mid-range SUV with a high safety rating for $30k when you can get something that's 20 years old off the wholesale lot for $2k? The $2k car still runs and gets you from point A to point B, and things like a/c, radios, and airbags are just luxuries that we won't have any need for (until we need them).

Coincidentally, guess what logic we use when purchasing station cars for reporters to drive?

Anyways, a ticket came in. An employee is unable to connect to their customer sales database. It's essentially an RDP into the database provider's system where they are set up with virtual machines to use their proprietary software. Except, anytime they make a change to the VMs, they seem to be going off of an old template or something, because the connection always resets to try and connect to a computer that doesn't exist anymore. So any time there's an update or change, I have to go to every single person's computer and change the login path.

One employee tried too many times and had their account locked out. The CE is the only person allowed to contact our rep, so I went to tell him the employee is locked out and we need the account unlocked.

:downs: What username is she using?
:mad: smithj
:downs: Isn't it jsmith?
:mad: No, it's smithj.
:downs: That's not right, it's jsmith.
:mad: No, it's smithj. I'm not getting an incorrect username or password error. I'm getting an account has been locked error. I would not get that error if the username was incorrect.
:downs: Make sure you're typing in the username correctly.
:mad: I'm typing it correctly! It's smithj, it's always been smithj, her email is smithj and the account is based off the email!
:downs: Hmm.... that doesn't sound right. I'll email him and ask him to make sure the username is jsmith.

He's doing this on purpose. To cover my tracks, I submitted a ticket to supervisor asking him to contact the rep regarding a locked out account and included a screenshot of the error message. Empirical proof that he's either really that inept, or being purposefully obtuse and preventing people from working because of his own ego.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I get legitimately angry reading posts about your CE. I don't know how you do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And to think that I thought the USA was the land of constantly being threatened with a firing. I guess nepotism or whatever the gently caress is it with your GM (knowing where the bodies are) trumps that.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I love when clients don't realize (or won't accept) that I am booked at other sites during the week. I work for an MSP, not for you and the client who pays us much much more than you do gets priority.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always willing to be helpful but a couple of SAN migrations take precedence over re-imaging a single computer than isn't even being used. Also please don't e-mail me directly unless it's a major issue, it just makes my project coordinator annoyed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

And to think that I thought the USA was the land of constantly being threatened with a firing. I guess nepotism or whatever the gently caress is it with your GM (knowing where the bodies are) trumps that.
At-will/right-to-work is only for the proles, not management.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I get legitimately angry reading posts about your CE. I don't know how you do it.

Right? It's amazing.

I don't often get completely irritated while reading the internet, but this CE manages to do it: I actually hate someone I've never met.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the worst part is that CE isn't even out of the ordinary, that is the exact same kind of behavior I've encountered with another TV CE and a radio CE.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

go3 posted:

the worst part is that CE isn't even out of the ordinary, that is the exact same kind of behavior I've encountered with another TV CE and a radio CE.

This is very true. It's horrifying when we have to team up with other CEs from our sister stations. They're all ten times worse with not wanting to spend money and literally building their own solutions because they're older and have decades of experience. My CE is a nubile babby compared to them, and they treat him the way he treats me. It's actually really funny to watch him get his.

The best part, though, is they tend to take me under their wings a bit and show me how to do stuff and how things work. It's refreshing.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

This is very true. It's horrifying when we have to team up with other CEs from our sister stations. They're all ten times worse with not wanting to spend money and literally building their own solutions because they're older and have decades of experience. My CE is a nubile babby compared to them, and they treat him the way he treats me. It's actually really funny to watch him get his.

The best part, though, is they tend to take me under their wings a bit and show me how to do stuff and how things work. It's refreshing.

You work at probably the worst broadcast facility known to man. There are news stations in Afghanistan that have wi-fi. Seriously.

If you don't stand up for your wi-fi you are letting the terrorists win.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anthonypants posted:

I'm pretty sure there's at least on SH/SC group on LinkedIn that will shower you with endorsements.

Sounds like something I need to get in on, whats the group called?

edit: Helpdesk escalated a ticket to me, about a server making noise. Ticket doesn't mention which server or even the office it's located in.
Better get my crystal ball and divine where this thing is because we only have offices in 100+ countries.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 29, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Sounds like something I need to get in on, whats the group called?

It's a pretty dead group, I'll try to post info when I get home.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Here's the SA Linkedin Group.
I'm not a group Manager, so hopefully someone can approve you all.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/SA-IT-Mentoring-Group-6535747/about

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I joined

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Here's the SA Linkedin Group.
I'm not a group Manager, so hopefully someone can approve you all.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/SA-IT-Mentoring-Group-6535747/about

Thanks. Also found a SH/SC Ticketmaster group, is that also a gathering of goons?

edit: I see a goon I'm connected to as a member so that's probably a yes.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 29, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

At a previous job we went with first initial plus last name for user accounts and email. Had a new employee named Samantha Lutz that pleaded with us to be first.last. We refused because slutz @ whatever.com was funny and also we werent allowed to make changes like that without going through the byzantine change board.

Same for me, I had one single user I had to make full first name full last name or else she would have been "khunt".

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

I promise I won't endorse you for Murder (probably).

"Best hitman I've ever used, one and done guy never saw what hit him hahahahaha A+++ would use this guy again"

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

In the month of September I've helped to bring our teams outstanding tickets from 150+ to 12. Feels good man. Now we can focus on projects.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Coredump posted:

Now we can focus on projects.

No you can't. Resolving tickets only encourage the user to submit more of them.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Machines at a client site are having some crashing issues when connected to the SAN. I found out that their sleep settings (in pmset) were set to have the disks go to sleep after 180 minutes which is bad for a SAN connected machine.

So I use pmset to set their disk sleep time to 0 and install a new SANLink driver which requires a restart. After the reboot I notice that their sleep settings were reset back to disksleep 180 which is really odd so I change it and reboot again; same thing. Now I know these machines are managed using Filewave so I'm thinking a config file is loaded on reboot.

Now I get to work with their internal IT to try to figure out what the hell is overwriting the config file on reboot and to stop it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 29, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

My new job is at a radio station. The CE reports to my boss, the Director of Technology. The CE is a helpful, smart guy who's willing to learn and admit when something's out of his purview, ask questions, and understand the answers.

larches, PM me if you want to Linkedin with me - I'll endorse you for every skill in the book if it'll help.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
If anybody else runs StorNext with Xsan clients be aware that the version of Xsan that ships with El Capitan only works with StorNext 5.2.2. So get to upgrading your MDCs!

I'm just waiting for the one client that ignores the e-mail we sent letting everybody know and breaks their Xsan deployment. I know it's going to happen :smith:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Some software we use pushed an update last week that ended up causing sporadic errors. After working with the devs to find the problem, they installed a patch this afternoon. I passed the info along to all staff, stating that the software company believes it has been fixed, and to please continue reporting any error messages they get to me.

I got this gem in response from an employee (not a superior) an hour later:

quote:

I just got an error. I was not having issues before. If you don’t have tome to do it right the first time, you always have time to di it again---even if you have to stay late.

:fuckoff:

and of course no response when I ask for more info. It's probably not even the same issue we were having before.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haha, what a cheeky gently caress. Sure wouldn't get a good response out of me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wa27 posted:

Some software we use pushed an update last week that ended up causing sporadic errors. After working with the devs to find the problem, they installed a patch this afternoon. I passed the info along to all staff, stating that the software company believes it has been fixed, and to please continue reporting any error messages they get to me.

and of course no response when I ask for more info. It's probably not even the same issue we were having before.

Well why didn't you install the patch correctly?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

wa27 posted:

I hate it when I just lose emails people send me. The network fairies must be intercepting them or something. Guess they'll just have to try again.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

pr0digal posted:

If anybody else runs StorNext with Xsan clients be aware that the version of Xsan that ships with El Capitan only works with StorNext 5.2.2. So get to upgrading your MDCs!

I'm just waiting for the one client that ignores the e-mail we sent letting everybody know and breaks their Xsan deployment. I know it's going to happen :smith:

Running your Xsan controllers on Mavericks (3.1) will let you run pretty much any SN/Xsan client version (including el capitan).

I'm still bitter about quantum not licensing 5.2 MDCs on non-q hardware, and trying to force their lovely dothill/engenio rebadged crap on everyone who tries to buy an appliance.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

wa27 posted:

I had something like that a little while ago. The client sends me a link to the Stornext install guide and says I should take a look at one of the pages then says he "doesn't' want to go outside of what's normally supported"

What's normally supported is that we have a script that does most of that automatically, but thanks for the link to the install guide! Maybe you shouldn't have updated your OS without telling us :jerkbag:

Zephirus posted:

Running your Xsan controllers on Mavericks (3.1) will let you run pretty much any SN/Xsan client version (including el capitan).

I'm still bitter about quantum not licensing 5.2 MDCs on non-q hardware, and trying to force their lovely dothill/engenio rebadged crap on everyone who tries to buy an appliance.

All the appliances we sell (the M440s and M660s) are Dell servers with NetApp hardware for the metadata array and are pretty stable. Coming from an Xsan environment I find it much better though Quantum tier 1 tech support can suck a gently caress.

Though I will agree that their licensing has gotten wacky as gently caress. Like to use non Quantum storage (we use Nexsan for the most part) on 5+ you have to get a license from them. The license is free (for now..) but you still need one or your MDCs will freak out at you.

*edit* Oh NetApp bought Engenio. Look at that

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 29, 2015

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wa27 posted:

I just got an error. I was not having issues before. If you don’t have tome to do it right the first time, you always have time to di it again---even if you have to stay late.

+

=

:confused:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

*edit* Oh NetApp bought Engenio. Look at that

That's why all of Dell's MD stuff shot up in price a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

pr0digal posted:

Though I will agree that their licensing has gotten wacky as gently caress. Like to use non Quantum storage (we use Nexsan for the most part) on 5+ you have to get a license from them. The license is free (for now..) but you still need one or your MDCs will freak out at you.

Yeah, the wonderful 'unsupported disk' license.

The trouble with the appliances is that they're very much a one-size fits all job. I know we can run 30 filesystems comfortably on a relatively small spec MDC pair (e.g two M620/30s with the MDC storage on 10k disk) with our usage profile.

According to quantum, I would need two pairs of M660s to do the same. I'd need over 20 appliances to replace our estate of 4 pairs of MDCs.

• Locked thread