Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Unfortunately with the two sets you have (Ep7 core and Slave 1) you don't really have very many options for Elite Talents. The ideal EPT for Omega Ace seems to be Push the Limit, but that only comes in two sets. If you're going to stick with Imperials I'd recommend picking up the Imperial Aces expansion when your funds permit for that reason as well as the fact that Interceptors are pretty dang good.

Personally I wouldn't go with both Homing Missiles and Proton Torpedoes, that's 9 whole points invested in ordnance that's going to be difficult for you to get off reliably the way you want to before the game is done. Really, the Heavy Laser Cannon is a solid weapon for Krassis, and having it makes the secondary ordnance a bit redundant...you can fire a Proton Torpedo that one time at range 2-3 to roll 4 dice or...you can shoot the HLC at range 2-3 to roll 4 dice. The protorp has the little "turn an eye into a crit" deal but you have to spend your TL just to fire it, meanwhile you could choose to Focus, fire the HLC, Krassis lets you reroll one die automatically, and then you either get to spend the Focus to change up eyeballs or you rolled so well you can bank it for defense.

Ditching the missile, torpedo, and Expose gives you 13 points to play with. That's enough wiggle room for you to consider bumping the Firespray up to someone like Kath Scarlet or Boba Fett, swapping out the Omega Squadron Pilot for someone like Zeta Ace, using those two Stealth Devices you have, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

kingcom posted:

I'm not sure about the new stuff (dont have a set yet) but if he likes tankier things then he should probably get his hands on the millenium falcon. Thats been a long standing tried and true tank, especially if you make Chewie the pilot. That + a buffed x-wing or two sounds solid.

So, ships like the Falcon are tanks, but it's a bit deceptive- they cost a lot of points to trick out so you really need to know how to fly defensively. I see a lot of new people steered toward them but they end up getting frustrated because they're not actually that simple in play. Yes, you can shoot anywhere you want, but that power means you gotta really know how not to get shot at in the first place.

The true blue tanks are Ys, Bs, and Punishers.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

kingcom posted:

If you like the idea of swarms of TIEs you definitely want a TIE Fighter expansion. It gets you Howlrunner who is essentially a squad leader making your formation of TIEs that much scarier. For your arc dodging (thats the term for pilots who excel at flying around and dodging dudes) you will want a TIE Interceptor pack to get your hands on a pilot called Soontir Fel. Hes pretty great. Deck him out in toys and your squad of 4 TIE Fighters + 1 TIE Interceptor would be a solid 100point intro force. Imperial Aces is always good just to increase your number of ships cheaply and have some cards to upgrade your ships in special ways (like the super useful push the limit).

With just those packs this would be a perfectly functional squadron:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!28:18:5:5:M.3;18:9:-1:6:;17:-1:-1:-1:;10::-1:-1:;10::-1:-1:

Engine upgrade on Soontir Fel, a ship which already has boost, is redundant.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Engine upgrade on Soontir Fel, a ship which already has boost, is redundant.

Whooops meant stealth device.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Are any of the scum HWKs worth running, or are they still pretty lousy? I feel like scum has so much good stuff that it's hard for them to compete, even if they are better than the originals :(

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Are any of the scum HWKs worth running, or are they still pretty lousy? I feel like scum has so much good stuff that it's hard for them to compete, even if they are better than the originals :(

HWKs suffer from being unbelievably easy to kill, while still costing a whole bunch of points. Their support abilities are really cool, both on the Rebel and Scum side, but a HWK is extremely unlikely to live long enough to be worth it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah; The universal HWK problem is a dead ship, sat outside the playing area, doesn't actually get any special rules.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Scum will get a Biggs like dude

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
biggs is def in for a comeback with all the new X-wing gear

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Can't wait until the T-70 expansion is out so that I can fly "Red Ace" with Comm Relay and R2-D2. You get an evade every time you lose a shield, you can store the evade if you don't actually use it and R2-D2 allows you to regen the shield. Then you can potentially get an integrated astromech to provide even more sustainability.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm having trouble working out if the Hound's Tooth is any good or not. It look's good but as with most Theorywing I don't know if it hold's up.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

I'm having trouble working out if the Hound's Tooth is any good or not. It look's good but as with most Theorywing I don't know if it hold's up.

The generic is absolute money with gunner , bossk and tactician.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Panzeh is right. You can get for really cheap quite a resilient ship that is difficult to arc-dodge out of and does good damage no matter what thanks to gunner + boosk.

EDIT: The generic is only 8 points more than a shuttle and still does a lot more than a shuttle.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Panzeh is right. You can get for really cheap quite a resilient ship that is difficult to arc-dodge out of and does good damage no matter what thanks to gunner + boosk.

EDIT: The generic is only 8 points more than a shuttle and still does a lot more than a shuttle.

Yeah it was the Generic I was looking at, the Hound's Tooth title doesn't seem to be worth it at all and taking Bossk as your pilot starts making it a bit pricey.

Also I was wondering if I put Manoeuvring Fins on it with a Navigator and I reveal say a 2 turn, can I use the fins to make that a 2 Bank and then Navigator to make it a 1 or 3 bank instead? Really only matters if you're Bossk as everyone would be going after the generic.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The real actual secret of a Hawk is that they're fine, but you shouldn't overload them. Sub-30 points is fine. Both Torkil and Palob are very strong in the right list, but opposite want to try and put every upgrade slot on them.

The other trick is that yes, they're fragile, and they are going to die most likely. The rest of your list needs to be able to function without the Hawk alive. And ideally be able to keep other ships from jumping all over it.

Palob with a turret, and possibly a single crew member or a cheap EPT, is excellent. Ion or TLT are both good turret options. With the new damage deck you don't have to worry about losing your turret or pilot ability, so go crazy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Gate posted:

Palob with a turret, and possibly a single crew member or a cheap EPT, is excellent. Ion or TLT are both good turret options. With the new damage deck you don't have to worry about losing your turret or pilot ability, so go crazy.

I quite like Greedo as the crew on Palob with the TLT. It's quite hard to avoid being hit and once a ships shields are down the first hit from your TLT will be a pseudo-critical. Obviously Greedo will ensure your own demise but thems the breaks.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Aramoro posted:

Yeah it was the Generic I was looking at, the Hound's Tooth title doesn't seem to be worth it at all and taking Bossk as your pilot starts making it a bit pricey.

Also I was wondering if I put Manoeuvring Fins on it with a Navigator and I reveal say a 2 turn, can I use the fins to make that a 2 Bank and then Navigator to make it a 1 or 3 bank instead? Really only matters if you're Bossk as everyone would be going after the generic.

I'm pretty sure you can (you definitely can with Imp Boba Fett and Navigator).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

The real actual secret of a Hawk is that they're fine, but you shouldn't overload them. Sub-30 points is fine. Both Torkil and Palob are very strong in the right list, but opposite want to try and put every upgrade slot on them.

The other trick is that yes, they're fragile, and they are going to die most likely. The rest of your list needs to be able to function without the Hawk alive. And ideally be able to keep other ships from jumping all over it.

The thing about HWKs to me is that they die hella fast and the cost for making the secondary turrets work is too high considering you also pay a premium for the ability. I'm kinda hoping that the turret coming with Ghost will be something cheap but not quite autoblaster turret bad to help this thing out. Even a cheaply fitted out HWK is too expensive for me if you're using any of the non-generics.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm going to be coming back into the game after a long hiatus. Money and time should be more free in the near future. The question is, what do I pick up?

I have a pair of Starter Sets, the Falcon, the Lambda, the Firespray, the Moldy Crow, Phantom, Defender, Advanced, Imperial Aces & another Interceptor, A-Wing, Y-Wing, and B-Wing fighters.

I like the look of the Scum guys, the big bombers look amazing but intimidating, and I am NOT financially secure enough to drop cash on any of the big ships as yet. So, considering it's been so long, where do I begin?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm going to be coming back into the game after a long hiatus. Money and time should be more free in the near future. The question is, what do I pick up?

I have a pair of Starter Sets, the Falcon, the Lambda, the Firespray, the Moldy Crow, Phantom, Defender, Advanced, Imperial Aces & another Interceptor, A-Wing, Y-Wing, and B-Wing fighters.

I like the look of the Scum guys, the big bombers look amazing but intimidating, and I am NOT financially secure enough to drop cash on any of the big ships as yet. So, considering it's been so long, where do I begin?

Walk into the store. Waht small ship looks cool? Buy it. Enjoy it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Walk into the store. Waht small ship looks cool? Buy it. Enjoy it.

Pretty much.

You've got a decent Empire set there. You could field something half decent from that alone. If you're good at arc dodging, a list with Soontir Fel and/or Whisper is gonna do pretty good. Throw in a group of regular TIE fighters for whatever you have left. Or maybe a Firespray; the base "Bounty Hunter" is pretty drat cost effective for what it does.

Also, just FYI, looks like target is doing Buy 2 get 1 Free for board games, and it includes the new starter set. Imperial Assault, too, but that was out of stock when I looked an hour ago.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Based off that, I would advise Starviper to get Autothrusters and also, beccuase I like the look of em.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if Scum will get a Biggs like dude

Prob not since they specifically made bodyguard scum only.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Based off that, I would advise Starviper to get Autothrusters and also, beccuase I like the look of em.

They look awesome, but for a newbie, buying a ship just for the cards is silly advice.

If you're going Scum, sure! Get one of these. They're pretty sweet. And Xizor's ability is basically anti-biggs, which is always fun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh man I'm glad I waited to buy one of the new Core Sets. Hopefully my buddy, or someone from League, wants to go in on 3 of them.

EDIT: I wonder what the odds are of a Yuuzhan Vong faction in the future.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 28, 2015

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Very low. The vong got wiped from canon and the new Disney overlords are not gonna want to market those books compared to current releases. Even though we do get the odd ship from other eu stuff it's extremely unlikely the vong will appear.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wonder what the odds are of a Yuuzhan Vong faction in the future.

Pretty slim, I'd say.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Very low. The vong got wiped from canon and the new Disney overlords are not gonna want to market those books compared to current releases. Even though we do get the odd ship from other eu stuff it's extremely unlikely the vong will appear.

Yeah I think the Vong are exactly the kind of EU stuff that Disney wanted to be able to ignore with their new policy and I think FFG is largely in line with that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Except for the fact that the entirety of Wave 7 was old Legends EU...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

The Wave 7 ships look like they could have been in the films, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I dunno, would Disney *really* care that much if something as relatively small as X-wing still used Legends stuff like that? I'm sure whatever the current RPG book is isn't constrained like that.

I feel like the Vong provide plenty of design space for new things once they start scraping the barrel of the EU and TFA.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Have they made that Ewok pilot yet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The Wave 7 ships look like they could have been in the films, though.

And so would hypothetical Vong ships.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Really? With an entirely new Trilogy in the works, involving spin-off movies like Rogue 1 and TV shows like Rebels why would FFG ever want to delve into the lovely realm of outlier EU material? There's literally an entirely new expanded universe on the horizon for them to mine.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Disagree, I don't think they match the Star Wars film aesthetic at all and I can see them wanting to cull them from the brand. Sorry I know that some people going to strongly disagree on that one, but I think I'm with whoever made that call

Edit: Also that's a good point, there are 2 trilogies being released simultaneously right now with a 1.5 year gap in between releases in each trilogy, and you know they are going to be pushing as many things they can make toys out of as possible

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 29, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

They look like spiky asteroids that shoot lava, they look nothing like anything that could've been in one of the films.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The K-wing also doesn't fit film aesthetics but here we are. What I'm trying to say is that Vong are of course possible and I hope they don't do it. The whole thing was p terrible.

E: I would prefer getting lightsaber knees guy as a pilot before getting Vong.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Bossk's ship is new Canon too. It was in clone wars :sperg:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The Vong are what happened when EU writers ran out of superweapons that where the Death Star but more evil, so instead some genius made the Galactic Empire but more evil for their OCs to fight.

They're what made me check out of reading more EU stuff and I hope they stay out of X-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Its unlikely we'll get Vong stuff because they have precisely one thing in Starfighter scale. And while I would love to fly a coralskipper around, what else would they do for the faction?

• Locked thread