Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, only UK and Ireland open for preorders. I doubt the Google Store will send them elsewhere in Europe.

I'm not liking the preorder news, but not selling them elsewhere in Europe later on sounds a bit strange when we've been able to buy a Nexus 6 from Norway on there. Why opt for less availability? :ohdear:

Just gotta wait and see after the presentation tomorrow, I guess ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

the nicker posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure they are good now and nothing like the old laptop sensor poo poo.

I use all the smart lock features as well and they're great but I still like, go places on a daily basis that aren't home or work or my car, and set my phone down on a table which immediately kills the body detection. In fact, not having to enter the code every time just makes it that much more annoying when I do have to enter it.

r0ck0 posted:

I hacked apart a broken bluetooth earpiece to use as a trusted bluetooth device. I took off the ear piece part and wrapped up the circuit board, battery, and usb port so it fits easily in my pocket. Now my phone is unlocked as long as its connected. Maybe not as secure as a fingerprint reader but pretty close. The only advantage to the fingerprint scanner is not having to enter passwords specifically to lastpass app.

Wow. I never knew they made these things. Now I'm going to see if I can buy a Motorola Keylink or see if the Tile works the same way. Would be awesome to have a trusted device on a key chain.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

Wow. I never knew they made these things. Now I'm going to see if I can buy a Motorola Keylink or see if the Tile works the same way. Would be awesome to have a trusted device on a key chain.

I have a Keylink, ask me anything

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

nimper posted:

Is it a good product? Is it something you would conceivably get for any phone?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

Do you still have a keylink?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So, is there a compelling reason to not get the S6 active? It's kind of ugly I guess, but these Nexus phones don't look all that impressive, I want a smaller device again coming from my Note 3, and I can get it for $130 with upgrade on AT&T.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BottleKnight posted:

Yes

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Do you still have a keylink?

Yes, but I almost lost it a couple times.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
https://plus.google.com/+OppoOfficial/posts/AKQd5jKxFuj

Oppo does it again. :allears:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

gmq posted:

I have a first-gen Moto G that I'm looking to replace.
I can get a Moto X Pure 16GB, a Galaxy S6 32GB or a LG G4 32GB for exactly the same price (about 600 bucks, thanks third world country!), which one would you get? Are there any major differences between the phones besides the brand?

Guys? :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lmao how on earth did they think this was a good idea

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Oh man. I can't believe it lmfao At least it looks like they shared it on google plus so the damage is inherently minimized :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I would probably go with the Samsung flagship if they are all about the same price.

I'm looking to buy the X Pure 32, but if I had to pay as much for the 16gb version as I did for a phone with more memory, better camera, etc. I'd probably just get the S6.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 28, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

gmq posted:

I have a first-gen Moto G that I'm looking to replace.
I can get a Moto X Pure 16GB, a Galaxy S6 32GB or a LG G4 32GB for exactly the same price (about 600 bucks, thanks third world country!), which one would you get? Are there any major differences between the phones besides the brand?

Well the camera's really good in the LG G4 if you put the effort into messing around in manual mode. Leather back isn't that good/not as good as the Moto maker leather back.

Moto X Pure is stock android. Galaxy S6 is a samsung phone so touchwiz, etc but also has a good camera. I think they all get 4ish hours of screen on time, not sure about that one though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BottleKnight posted:

My keylink worked so poorly that I have abandoned it. Constant disconnects, maybe found my keys 1 out of 10 attempts. Other times it just did nothing.

I have a motorola nexus 6 so you'd think it would work with that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Reverse Centaur posted:

My keylink worked so poorly that I have abandoned it. Constant disconnects, maybe found my keys 1 out of 10 attempts. Other times it just did nothing.

I have a motorola nexus 6 so you'd think it would work with that.

I had to change the battery within a couple weeks of getting mine. The factory supplied batteries just weren't good.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

bull3964 posted:

Also, fingerprint sensors are not considered secure for most MDM software. So, if you do have corporate email on your phone, you likely won't be able to use it.

I'm usually the complete opposite of :tinfoil: but the more I read about it (earlier in the thread I was concerned the Blackberry Privy wouldn't have a fingerprint sensor on it ), the more I realize once your fingerprint is hacked, you are hosed. No matter how many times/ways the tech used to read/store your fingerprint securely are updated, if it is breached even once - that's it. That's where any sort of biometric security fails and is normally only used in secure locations with at least 1 ( or 2 ) other methods of authentication ( password, physical device, token, etc ). At least if your password gets cracked, or the method your password is stored with gets cracked, you can just come up with another one and keep trying to stay ahead of the game.

This is probably a moot concern seeing how I entrust Lord Google with my email, photos, chat, phone calls, everything they could ever want to know - but all of it is stuff that is replaceable if it goes poof. You can't do that with your fingerprint.

:tinfoil: :tinfoil:

[Edit] I realize for most people it's just convenience and not a "security" thing, but still: :tinfoil:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ulvir posted:

I'm not liking the preorder news, but not selling them elsewhere in Europe later on sounds a bit strange when we've been able to buy a Nexus 6 from Norway on there. Why opt for less availability? :ohdear:

Just gotta wait and see after the presentation tomorrow, I guess ...
If they're not going to release it EU-wide at all, I'll be ordering at some UK outlet. Plenty of phones were gotten via Handtec.co.uk before.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao how on earth did they think this was a good idea

Oppo is Chinese, they may not know how bad that is.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Was it on a phone where your fingerprint was being stored as an unencrypted bitmap a while back?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm usually the complete opposite of :tinfoil: but the more I read about it (earlier in the thread I was concerned the Blackberry Privy wouldn't have a fingerprint sensor on it ), the more I realize once your fingerprint is hacked, you are hosed. No matter how many times/ways the tech used to read/store your fingerprint securely are updated, if it is breached even once - that's it.

sucks that HTC was storing that in plaintext and let anyone read it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

lol, this is amazing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

sucks that HTC was storing that in plaintext and let anyone read it

Skarsnik posted:

Was it on a phone where your fingerprint was being stored as an unencrypted bitmap a while back?

An HTC, yes, so no one was actually affected. That said, yall may want to see how Google implements it. If it's like Apple (stored solely on the device, as a hash), there's little reason to worry.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

As an Android Wear user (and thus my phone is always unlocked), what other things will a fingerprint sensor get me on Marshmallow?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

As an Android Wear user (and thus my phone is always unlocked), what other things will a fingerprint sensor get me on Marshmallow?

you can validate passwords in last pass with your fingerprint instead of your master password

KoB
May 1, 2009
Have they said anything about the Moto X Pure getting Marshmallow? Up to date OS and the fingerprint sensor are pretty much the only reasons I would want the 5X at this point.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

TollTheHounds posted:

the more I realize once your fingerprint is hacked, you are hosed. No matter how many times/ways the tech used to read/store your fingerprint securely are updated, if it is breached even once - that's it. That's where any sort of biometric security fails and is normally only used in secure locations with at least 1 ( or 2 ) other methods of authentication ( password, physical device, token, etc ). At least if your password gets cracked, or the method your password is stored with gets cracked, you can just come up with another one and keep trying to stay ahead of the game.

It doesn't even need to be hacked. You leave your fingerprints behind everywhere - restaurant glasses, door handles, keyboards, card lock keypads, business cards, all manner of surfaces that you touch on a daily basis. It doesn't matter how securely it's stored on your phone, if someone can get a hold of a bottle or glass you just used they can get at your fingerprint.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

It's beautiful. The only way it could be better would be if it were from OnePlus.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I'm dying at the OPPO picture.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LionYeti posted:

you can validate passwords in last pass with your fingerprint instead of your master password

This is gonna be so badass.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe keypass will get updated to support this as well :ohdear:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm already living this glorious future on my note 5 and its pretty great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KoB posted:

Have they said anything about the Moto X Pure getting Marshmallow? Up to date OS and the fingerprint sensor are pretty much the only reasons I would want the 5X at this point.

You aren't going to get timelines on OS updates until the OS is actually done yet.

Chances are Moto will be a little more cautious this round since they got burned hard on Lollipop, pushing it to the 2014 Moto X long before anyone else and then having to ride out the numerous stability bumps.

I've been running on Marshmallow on my N9 for over a month so I'm honestly not chomping at the bit for it. I'm curious to see how well the sleep stuff works on a phone (I have mixed feelings for it on my N9) and I like the more granular control over priority notification scheduling, but there's not a lot USER FACING that changes with M.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Where is the best place and brand to buy a glass screen protector? It's for a Z3c.

Also are there any decent cases for the Z3c? Seems like the flaps would prevent using a case.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Well that's awesome.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm having a really hard time deciding between the 5X and 6P from the info we have so far. The 810 scares me a little since I'll play a few games here and there, but the extra RAM seems like a good idea. :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How about waiting until they're actually out and reviewed and stuff? I mean I get that people have strong opinions on chipsets in consumer electronics but surely it's how the device actually performs that matters

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Did you lose your other 9 fingers or something? Just use a different finger if one gets hacked.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

baka kaba posted:

How about waiting until they're actually out and reviewed and stuff? I mean I get that people have strong opinions on chipsets in consumer electronics but surely it's how the device actually performs that matters

It's an SA Tech thread, there is no middle ground. It's either garbage or the best thing ever

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The new 5X trades away qi and the bigger size for front speakers, type-C, more powerful SoC, presumably better build quality, more/faster LTE bands, and the fingerprint reader.
It keeps the no mSD, keeps the 1080p screen, keeps the 2GB RAM, keeps the non-removable battery...

I'm honestly not sure I'm willing to trade qi for those things. Its close, I'll still consider getting one (probably? Maybe?), but its not the slam dunk it would have been with qi and 3GB of RAM.
I need a new laptop more than I need a new phone. I'll probably take the $500 earmarked for a new nexus and put it into the skylake ultrabook stash instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018