Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

suuma posted:

I've decided to play this again after a year and a half off, and all of my friends are playing on Excalibur. I seem to remember having to log on at like 4am to get a character made there; is this still the case?

Does paying for a character transfer allow you to skip the character creation block? I might just do that so I can play during normal hours.

Patch lull has hit hard, it is not difficult to get a character created on Excalibur at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Starting the Dragoon storyline after finishing Heavensward is kinda odd.

EDIT: Yeah, but she doesn't turn into a dragon :ssh:

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 28, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Drizvolta posted:

Starting the Dragoon storyline after finishing Heavensward is kinda odd.

Not as odd as the culinarian storyline after patch 2.55!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Patch lull has hit hard, it is not difficult to get a character created on Excalibur at the moment.

Okay.. cool. I'll just try at like 8 in the morning instead of 3-4 like they were suggesting. Thanks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah, it makes sense. They woke her up for the tasting, or "weekend at bernie's"'d it

I started playing in 2.2 and avoided relics. I can't decide whether I want to embrace a new autist grind or not.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

megalodong posted:

Speaking as someone who's highest job is 22, what could they have done better to stop people running out of things? Is it just a flatout lack of stuff to do, or is the gear curve messed up so yo udon't need to do anything but the highest dungeon or whatever?

There's tons of poo poo to do but they hosed up the incentives on a lot of it.

Hardcore raiding is basically too hard is what I have routinely been hearing from people who had no issues clearing any of bahamut's coil before echo was introduced. A3S is wrecking statics left and right.

Casual raiding is either a tedious weekly grind (Alexander normal, usually have to run each floor multiple times a week to get your loot) or rendered completely pointless by ESO(teric) gear like the 2 current primals which only drop irrelevant weapons.

Crafting is all hosed up for most people. Red scrip gear is undermined both by being worse than the crafted sets and also being wholly unnecessary to HQ current endgame materials so people don't bother unless they are like me; someone only in it for looking cool so I'm too busy blowing my red scrip on gatherer gear instead of mats.

Gatherer red scrip is fine but it's tiresome at best and is definitely not something that would ever keep anyone playing I imagine. It is pretty miserable if you are burning it trying to get crafter set materials though.

Only 2 experts so people got bored of them quickly.

Frontlines seem fine though. I guess? I just started doing them a week ago since I was so god drat tired of experts. I have been having fun even though I am completely terrible.

I think all of this combined with the longest patch cycle so far in game has just led to a lot of existential angst.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I did my Ragnarok entirely in 2.5, so I'm looking forward to actually being up to date on it.

megalodong posted:

Speaking as someone who's highest job is 22, what could they have done better to stop people running out of things? Is it just a flatout lack of stuff to do, or is the gear curve messed up so yo udon't need to do anything but the highest dungeon or whatever?

There's plenty of stuff to do, it's just that the people who are complaining have already done it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hobbesmaster posted:

While there's nothing as weird as meeting mopey Garrosh in the Outlands, I've run into a few oddities. The most :smith: is doing ShivaEx post-3.0 and Urianger wondering if it was possible to get Iceheart over to our side.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I do feel like I'm hitting the lull a bit, too. I'm about to have a DPS at level 60 real soon alongside my healer and tank, so I'll have a trifecta of classes to run whatever content I feel like. I don't have enough money for crafting to get all classes to 60 unless I want to put a huge amount of time to it for little payoff. I'm not part of a static, so I can't really do savage content. I don't mind running the roulettes every day to get my esos (though I have no idea what to spend my esos on, I'll probably just save up for a 2nd weapon). Basically I've found triple triad as my new thing for now. It'll probably be chocobo racing after this. Grinding for a relic weapon will be nice. Especially since that usually can be done with groups.

I think the big issue is a lot of the stuff prior to 3.0 was made obsolete with Heavensward. Sure, you can run some of that stuff, but 1) the gear you get won't be very good relative to 3.0 gear, and 2) no one else is really running it. I'd love to pony farm more, but ponies can't fly :smith:

Athray
Jul 2, 2010
I cap esoterics and log in to progress in an unfun encounter. Kill me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

There's plenty of stuff to do, it's just that the people who are complaining have already done it.

Yeah I think this is the main thing.

There's another full month until the next patch due to Heavensward itself being so big.

As somebody who only got to endgame two weeks ago I'm fine. I have two classes at 60 so running Alexander and getting Esoterics will be enough for a long while. Plus I want to try leveling Crafting and Gathering.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

seiferguy posted:

I think the big issue is a lot of the stuff prior to 3.0 was made obsolete with Heavensward. Sure, you can run some of that stuff, but 1) the gear you get won't be very good relative to 3.0 gear, and 2) no one else is really running it. I'd love to pony farm more, but ponies can't fly :smith:

Same but with farming random gear from old content

seems like it's almost impossible to drum up any sort of interest for it

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
This is the same exact content lull we had in 2.0, it's just now people expect the game to have the same amount of content from a year and a half of patches included in their expansion

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Same. This game isn't fun and had an uncannily similar metamorphosis - developers, concerned that people aren't clearing any more. I don't remember the players having fun in this MMO. This issue was always hanging overhead.

This isn't fun anymore. Basically, if you "oh, yeah, I just too busy blowing my red scrip on gatherer gear coming out of their goddamned fast they were coming up on vanilla WoW slipped up for looking cool but it's tiresome at least in week one. I could experience everything the raid environments to an unpleasant truth: to want, motivates efforts to gain. To have, inspires no compelling for little payoff. I'm too hard and also being a hiatus right now, but it's because the player base hasn't scaled the surface.

There's another full month until the disagreement. Why is the game so bad. Hardcore raiding community.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd actually prefer it if they went back and just cranked up a lot of the older stuff to level 60 and gave it appropriate ilvl locks. Certain fights like Ramuh Ex and a lot of the older Coil stuff are a lot of fun to do, but they have extremely marginal rewards nowadays for most folks. Do something ala the old weekly Primal quest along with the level 60 boost and you've got a wide variety of stuff that people are now both willing and able to do. It just seems silly to me to leave what are otherwise perfectly good fights by the wayside, especially since (I'm betting, anyways) a good portion of the userbase hasn't burned themselves out on certain older fights. I know a friend of mine did Leviathan Ex a whole bunch back in the day, but I've completed it twice, and I'd be fine with doing it again.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Doublestep posted:

This is the same exact content lull we had in 2.0, it's just now people expect the game to have the same amount of content from a year and a half of patches included in their expansion

The big difference is they purposely hard obsoleted all of their good content. There's nothing from ARR that's even useful to a level 60 character in any way, and HLDR doesn't even give exp toward levelling characters. Once you're 60, you just don't want to touch the majority of the game's content because it doesn't help with currencies, EXP, or cosmetic rewards in any way.

e: also give me Prime level 50 primals and savage old 4-mans. Just rescaled old content with some neat poo poo attached.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ntan1 posted:

Same. This game isn't fun and had an uncannily similar metamorphosis - developers, concerned that people aren't clearing any more. I don't remember the players having fun in this MMO. This issue was always hanging overhead.

This isn't fun anymore. Basically, if you "oh, yeah, I just too busy blowing my red scrip on gatherer gear coming out of their goddamned fast they were coming up on vanilla WoW slipped up for looking cool but it's tiresome at least in week one. I could experience everything the raid environments to an unpleasant truth: to want, motivates efforts to gain. To have, inspires no compelling for little payoff. I'm too hard and also being a hiatus right now, but it's because the player base hasn't scaled the surface.

There's another full month until the disagreement. Why is the game so bad. Hardcore raiding community.

Was this generated by a markov chain of the official forums

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should add cosmetic rewards and/or achievements for completing 2.0 stuff with minimum ilevel sync.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ultima at ilvl 50 is still fun.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

cheetah7071 posted:

I would pay money for a general discussion bot

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Niton posted:

The big difference is they purposely hard obsoleted all of their good content. There's nothing from ARR that's even useful to a level 60 character in any way, and HLDR doesn't even give exp toward levelling characters. Once you're 60, you just don't want to touch the majority of the game's content because it doesn't help with currencies, EXP, or cosmetic rewards in any way.

e: also give me Prime level 50 primals and savage old 4-mans. Just rescaled old content with some neat poo poo attached.

Is this your first mmo

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

cheetah7071 posted:

They did a terrible job of removing the problem of raiders. buy an iphone.

THIS WORLD IS A FANTASY AND YOU'RE FAILING.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Niton posted:

you have to wait until the 5th expansion pack once the nostalgia has set in properly and they've run out of ideas

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Everyone wants a patch cycle completely unique to their individual playstyle. Last time I checked people are still logging into the game to do stuff so please forgive the dev team for not releasing new content the exact moment you got bored of the current content.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If I bought a new iPhone and will be backing up my existing iPhone and restoring the new one with my back up, do I have to jump through shenanigans with the Software Token or will everything be good to go?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You probably will, so make sure you have the emergency remove code handy just in case

Doublestep posted:

Is this your first mmo

Maybe FFXI was his first MMO where a single pair of pants could last you for 40+ levels or something dumb like that

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 28, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

doubling it up

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Doublestep posted:

Is this your first mmo

Well I mean, there are a couple obvious things they goofed up that seem like no brainers to me. HLDR should have given experience from day one. Even assuming they didn't want people to feel compelled to run old content at release (a sentiment I really appreciated honestly), that should have been patched in around the same time as Eso gear and not stalled until 3.1 . It also seems silly to me that there isn't an unsync'd roulette.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Hldr does give exp though

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

My biggest problem with the current content is the massive gap between bashing my head against savage and anything else, there's no mid tier "Fun and kinda useful, maybe slightly less facerolley" stuff I can do with my static to let off steam

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Doublestep posted:

Hldr does give exp though
The mobs don't, which is being fixed (a bit late but I've still got tons of 51 classes waiting to level up)

My big hope is that they even out the awesomeness of EXDR a bit. The music in Fractal keeps me going but the 50% chance to get Neverreap keeps me from doing my EXDR daily.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Klungar posted:

If I bought a new iPhone and will be backing up my existing iPhone and restoring the new one with my back up, do I have to jump through shenanigans with the Software Token or will everything be good to go?

Not providing support for this! I see no advantage to a somehow inferior/superior/superior/superior phone. I've upgraded to wipe my requests don't fancy right now. Someone explain this poo poo to my phone? Thank you for the 3 month hold.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I know the mobs don't but yelling that the roulette itself doesn't when it's a pretty decent source of exp as is is pretty misleading

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'd totally resub and do 24-mans if the queue for them wasn't awful. yoshi-p plz add raid roulette to get people to do them again and I'll heal another 50 LotAs trying to even see the Royal Gloves drop :smith:

e: adding exp to all lv50 content before any roulette bonus might be neat too

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'd actually prefer it if the userbase quits. Last time I checked people are still logging all the day, but I've completed all of the game. People feel compelled to run old content, but they didn't want to touch the majority of the old weekly Primals and savage and you get bored of the old 4-mans. Just rescale and run old content. There's content the devs just cranked up a lot. Everyone wants a patch cycle all of the time. Do something and a lot of their good content will come.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A raid and EX Primal roulette would be great.

Also let Coil tie in some way to the new Relic.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

ntan1 posted:

This, I claim, is ideology.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

A raid and EX Primal roulette would be great.

Also let Coil tie in some way to the new Relic.

This would be the greatest clusterfuck. Pubbies abandon Steps as it is now, I don't think a single pug would survive even rolling Titan EX in a roulette.

do it yoshi-p

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Doublestep posted:

Is this your first mmo

Not at all. The thing that strikes me as particularly nuts about the way Heavensward did things is the sheer number of new "progression" gear sets brought in in 3.0. Going from what you need to access Singularity Reactor, we have:

Level 58 quest whites
Valerian
Law ( +Bismarck Weapon :lol:)
Centurio
Prototype Gordian +Ravana Weapon
Antiquated Relic
Relic/Gordian

That's 8 7 gear steps between "I just hit 60" and "I am now done with the first patch of the expansion". By comparison, all of ARR had ten. The sets themselves are necessary, but the inflation of a full 10 ilvl gap between each of them feels like it's way too much.

e: Bismarck really isn't its own gear tier. Bismarck is just a gigantic question mark.

Doublestep posted:

I know the mobs don't but yelling that the roulette itself doesn't when it's a pretty decent source of exp as is is pretty misleading

I worded it shittily, but it's a problem that they recognized before 3.05 even launched. Despite that, they chose not to do anything about it until 3.1. The 50-53 stretch is so lovely that it makes me not want to touch any of the classes I have left there.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Niton posted:

Bismarck really isn't its own gear tier. Bismarck is just a gigantic question mark.

It's hard to understate just how baffling it is that the reward for what should be part of the game's harder content - without delving into whether Bisex still qualifies as 'hard' - is somehow lower in quality than upgraded Law.

• Locked thread