Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

No, not Weedcat! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh no, Weedcat! :( I'm so sorry. RIP King Fluffy Pants :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm sorry about Weedcat and hope it comes back that it's literally just lovely timing with the forest fires and poor luck. With a flock like yours, if it's Marek's... :gonk:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Oh no, Weedcat :( He will be greatly missed. I'm so sorry for your loss, VS + family.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Not Weedcat?! Poor little big Floofy rooster. :smith:

Going to go hug all my chickens now.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Aw man not Weedcat. Crap.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Noooo Weedcat :( ! This stupid drought and heatwaves are just ruining everything, I'm so sorry VS :sympathy:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
I'm so sorry VS for all the chickens lost, but, especially Weedcat. I think I'm going to legit start crying. *hugs* Long live the king.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So sorry to hear that, VS and family. :smith: Weedcat was my favorite. I will miss watching his fluffy pants walk around. I hope this is your last loss for a long while.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
So sorry to hear about all of the losses, especially King Fluffypants. He was such a good roo to his hens. I'll miss his cock-a-doodles during Chickam.

How are the ladies handling the loss?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Thanks everyone for the kind words...the flock is upset, the girls are walking around crying and looking for Weeds. :( Even Cam is off-balance and keeps coming up to us looking confused.

They are doing the necropsy today, hopefully we'll hear back on what happened soon. Meanwhile the rest of the chickens seem OK health-wise. At least we do have Weedcat babies...Cam is his son, and Bubbles, the little Cochin hen hatched this year, is clearly a Princess Fluffypants!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

At least we do have Weedcat babies...Cam is his son, and Bubbles, the little Cochin hen hatched this year, is clearly a Princess Fluffypants!
The Weedcat dynasty will live on!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Thanks everyone for the kind words...the flock is upset, the girls are walking around crying and looking for Weeds. :( Even Cam is off-balance and keeps coming up to us looking confused.

They are doing the necropsy today, hopefully we'll hear back on what happened soon. Meanwhile the rest of the chickens seem OK health-wise. At least we do have Weedcat babies...Cam is his son, and Bubbles, the little Cochin hen hatched this year, is clearly a Princess Fluffypants!

VS, your Chickam and subsequent chicks opened me up to the world of Roosters and Hens. Weedcat and Roostroyer were the first roosters that I ever saw that were nice fellows.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

piscesbobbie posted:

VS, your Chickam and subsequent chicks opened me up to the world of Roosters and Hens. Weedcat and Roostroyer were the first roosters that I ever saw that were nice fellows.

They were just big cuddly babies, I still miss Roo and his bokbokbok :(

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

They were just big cuddly babies, I still miss Roo and his bokbokbok :(

Yeah it's really hard to lose roosters, it's amazing how attached you get to the big dorky things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is the thread tag new? :D

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nooo....so sad..... poor things. *hugs them all*

Her Royal Highness Princess Fluffypants. Something new for me to illustrate in the future? HRHPF

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Phaena posted:

Nooo....so sad..... poor things. *hugs them all*

Her Royal Highness Princess Fluffypants. Something new for me to illustrate in the future? HRHPF

YES! Please! :)

Got some news today...Weedcat is on his way to UV Davis for further testing. Seems other than being a bit skinny, his thymus, thyroid and parathyroid glands were very enlarged ('shockingly' was term the doc used) and he suspects a possible metabolic issue...but other than that Weeds seemed healthy. It's got the folks at UC Davis intrigued, so they are waiving their usual fee. We should know more in about 10 days, right now they don't know why Weeds died.

So Weeds is on a little road trip to Cali...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dick Trauma posted:

Is the thread tag new? :D

All of the Pet Island threads I follow have gotten new tags for some reason.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mycot posted:

All of the Pet Island threads I follow have gotten new tags for some reason.

We just had a contest to make new PI thread tags. Those are some of the winners. :)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We just had a contest to make new PI thread tags. Those are some of the winners. :)

Glad to know I'm following all of the best threads.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

YES! Please! :)

Got some news today...Weedcat is on his way to UV Davis for further testing. Seems other than being a bit skinny, his thymus, thyroid and parathyroid glands were very enlarged ('shockingly' was term the doc used) and he suspects a possible metabolic issue...but other than that Weeds seemed healthy. It's got the folks at UC Davis intrigued, so they are waiving their usual fee. We should know more in about 10 days, right now they don't know why Weeds died.

So Weeds is on a little road trip to Cali...

humm...leave it to Weeds to leave us in a shroud of mystery.
How's the kid doing with all this?
(I'll see what I can do about HRHPF... Do you have any photos of Bubbles with maximum fluffy pants?)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Phaena posted:

humm...leave it to Weeds to leave us in a shroud of mystery.
How's the kid doing with all this?
(I'll see what I can do about HRHPF... Do you have any photos of Bubbles with maximum fluffy pants?)

The kid is dealing OK now, but had a rough couple of days in school.
You know, I went out the other day to get pictures of Princess Fluffypants...couldn't find her! Looked all over the yard, called repeatedly, finally looked in the small run inside the old Dogloo we have in there...and scared the living CRAP out of her and Sprinkles, who were apparantly sound loving asleep in there, like really out.

Pissed them off and they went running out, I couldn't get near Bubbles after that to take a pic so I gave up. Silly chickens, good thing I wasn't a predator.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The kid is dealing OK now, but had a rough couple of days in school.
You know, I went out the other day to get pictures of Princess Fluffypants...couldn't find her! Looked all over the yard, called repeatedly, finally looked in the small run inside the old Dogloo we have in there...and scared the living CRAP out of her and Sprinkles, who were apparantly sound loving asleep in there, like really out.

Pissed them off and they went running out, I couldn't get near Bubbles after that to take a pic so I gave up. Silly chickens, good thing I wasn't a predator.

haha, whoops~! Such heavy sleepers they are! Perhaps another time! (That's totally cute, though)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Visited a friend up in VT and took some pictures

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Nice pics! Guinea Fowl: Loudest damned things on Earth.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Hey all, need some help.

We had a Surprise Babby this morning. There's a hen who's been broody, but that's like all of my current hens at the moment, and she had one egg under her. Magically, she hatched a live chick! Little dude seems to be doing really well so far, and of course, the daffy bitch had to have it in a barrel in the yard, so we've fenced it in to protect it from the dumb dogs and the jerk cats.

SO

How do I vaccinate the little dude for Marek's? All of the current chickens and I think even the turkeys have been vaccinated, so I'm pretty sure the chicks we have will, too. I can order a case of 1000 doses of Marek's vaccine, which is great except I have one chick. Any wisdom from y'all? This is our first "natural" chicken so I am at odds with knowing what I need to do.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lynza posted:

Hey all, need some help.

We had a Surprise Babby this morning. There's a hen who's been broody, but that's like all of my current hens at the moment, and she had one egg under her. Magically, she hatched a live chick! Little dude seems to be doing really well so far, and of course, the daffy bitch had to have it in a barrel in the yard, so we've fenced it in to protect it from the dumb dogs and the jerk cats.

SO

How do I vaccinate the little dude for Marek's? All of the current chickens and I think even the turkeys have been vaccinated, so I'm pretty sure the chicks we have will, too. I can order a case of 1000 doses of Marek's vaccine, which is great except I have one chick. Any wisdom from y'all? This is our first "natural" chicken so I am at odds with knowing what I need to do.

Everyone I know has to order the quantity vaccine...I know we did. :( Are there any local poultry keepers in your area that would split the cost with you?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lynza posted:

Hey all, need some help.

Can't help with the meds, but congrats on the hatchling.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I ended up buying a batch of 1000 online. None of the vet clinics or feed places had any (at all), I'm guessing because it's the fall and why the hell are my chickens hatching eggs anyway, but eh.

So, if anyone needs some Marek's vaccine in the Portland-ish area, let me know! I'll be happy to hook you up. Vaccine's good until 2017.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Here ya go! My husband fenced them both in to their barrel nest to keep the cats and dogs away. I'm expecting vaccine tomorrow, and after that, I think the little dude can go into the coop with his mama. It's that, or we're building them a spot in the house.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, we just got a call from the lab about Weedcat. They say he had a goiter on both sides of his thyroid, he most likely died from his heart just giving out.

They don't know why he was having gland issues, causes could be diet (not likely due to the fact we fed them legitimate poultry ration) or genetic, which is what I suspect. He was a heavy breed, which the doctor said was also a factor. We never noticed any kind of lump in his neck or chest, so it must have been something right around the glands, they certainly didn't find it until they necropsied him. I'm going to call the doctor back and talk to him more, and they'll be sending us a written report. I've got to hunt up the name & address of the breeder where we originally got the eggs Weeds hatched from, it might help the guy to talk to them. The guy at UC Davis says he hasn't seen this in 20 years and wants to write a paper on it.

So Weeds is getting his 15 minutes of fame, it seems...having his final episode of making people yell, 'WEEDCAT--!'

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 6, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So Weeds is getting his 15 minutes of fame, it seems...having his final episode of making people yell, 'WEEDCAT--!'

R.I.P. His Majesty, King Fluffypants. Long live the King! :angel:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Long live the king!!

c355n4, yeahh~!! The guinea fowl!! XD

Lynza, awww little fluff ball~!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm very late, but I'm so sad to see another VS chicken I named is gone :negative: I'm cursed.

I'm so sorry about all your birds VS, everyone loved Weedcat :( I hope the rest of your flock is alright and that Weedcat's name is published in a medical paper.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Phaena posted:

Long live the king!!

c355n4, yeahh~!! The guinea fowl!! XD

Lynza, awww little fluff ball~!

Those guinea fowl are some odd fellows. I don't have a picture of it; but, they were plucking feathers from the butts of the turkeys. The turkeys didn't seem to care or notice. Like full on sticking their heads in the turkey's butt. They also yelled at me from the roof of the nearby house. Weirdos

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

I'm very late, but I'm so sad to see another VS chicken I named is gone :negative: I'm cursed.

I'm so sorry about all your birds VS, everyone loved Weedcat :( I hope the rest of your flock is alright and that Weedcat's name is published in a medical paper.

I'll see if I can make this a condition of giving them my blessing.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
What a legacy that would be! Long live His Majesty King Fluffy Pants!

Lynza, my broody is still determinedly sitting on our non-fertile eggs too. Another of my girls is molting (butt first, of course!) and has no tail feathers left. Chickens are not good at predicting the weather.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Faerunner posted:

What a legacy that would be! Long live His Majesty King Fluffy Pants!

Lynza, my broody is still determinedly sitting on our non-fertile eggs too. Another of my girls is molting (butt first, of course!) and has no tail feathers left. Chickens are not good at predicting the weather.

No they are not! A bunch of my girls dropped feathers weeks ago and just hadn't gotten around to replacing them, it's been too warm. Then the other day we had a cold snap and *now* they are all growing feathers like mad things. Silly chickens...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
This is my first experience with chicks having a mama that's not me. It's really cool!

I got some mealworms and crickets for Mama and Baby, and Mama takes it from me, shakes it, then "bok boks" and Baby comes a-runnin' to grab it. Anything I hand in, she takes, then shows him where it is. Sometimes she eats a little, but the lion's share goes to the baby every time. He/she/whatever really digs crickets. And I'm amazed at how a worm just went down his throat like a magic trick. Before anyone worries, he's had grit in his crop, so no worried there.

I vaccinated him/her/whatever for Marek's today. That's my first time vaccinating anything, but I think I made a pretty good showing. They say to pinch a little neck skin and do the injection there, and I could feel the puncture into the skin, so that was easier than I expected. Wish I hadn't had to buy a frickin' 1000-dose bottle, but it wasn't hideously expensive, and now I know how to do it. Hopefully we won't have any further surprise chicks. Or, if someone goes broody, I'm just gonna start packing eggs under her and move her into the house to sit on them. Then if I buy a big order of vaccine I can do more than one bird.

Of course, this hen was brooding in a barrel in the yard when we sprayed the coop for mites so... It's Mite City in there. We're going to give it a spray tomorrow after we take everything out. Not sure how safe it is to spray Mama at this point, since the little dude huddles under her for a big portion of the day and night.