Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Actually improving their own lifespan was one of those things the Necrontyr researched constantly, but no conventional technology could undo the damage their sun had already done to them, and the transference didn't occur to them until the Deceiver suggested it because it's a lunatic idea and they didn't have the technology for it until after they used it on the C'Tan. Also once again there are two wars on heaven in a sense, because there is the one the Old Ones win handily and then in what they probably thought of as mercy but from the Necrontyr point of view was the cruelest act imaginable they barricaded them on their own home planet. Like I'm not saying what the Necrons did was justifiable either, but neither was the way the Old Ones treated them in the first place, Szarekh approached them first and asked for the secrets to a longer life and they wouldn't share it nor would they explain why, hint it's because it needs a massive warp signature which the Necrontyr didn't have. Basically the only thing that could save them from their genetic lifespans permanent scarring is warp powers and they can't use those themselves, or genetic modification on the level of the Old Ones but that also required warp powers so it's also out of reach.

Ultimately the Necrontyr were jerks as were the Old Ones in their own way, but the Necrons were slaves to the C'Tan and realised exactly why hating all life would not work. Like the hating everything was a phase they went through and a number of them that are 'alive' today really wish they hadn't because they've realised what it got them, nothing. Also I will say one thing, the Necrontyr and the Necrons both understand that the worst thing you can do is leave someone alive and in pain either emotional or physical. There's a reason they have such efficient weapons and it's because they don't want to leave people alive and suffering.

For an example of how bleak the Necrontyr were, they didn't build cities for the living, they only built them for the dead. By and large their culture was built around the fact that they were going to die and if they were exceptionally lucky they'd get to be an adult for 20 years before they literally collapsed.

I honestly sympathise with neither the Old Ones, who couldn't spend 5 years of their infinite lifespans helping to improve their galactic neighbours lifespan by even a small amount, nor the Necrontyr, who for all that the universe shat on them didn't help by constantly fighting each other for grievances 5 generations old and when they did stop doing so instead decided to air out grievances from the dawn of their civilisation with the universe itself. If anything I feel bad for the Eldar who got dragged into a war not of their own making and were left to pick up the pieces with a brand new endless horde of green warriors who would plague them forever and the potential for the Necrons to wake up and decide once more that they don't like the Eldar because the Old Ones dragged them into a war.

Also Szarkeh has a fairly hilarious plan which is to reverse the transference, preferably with a relatively long lived species so that his people can stop being soulless robots, and not everyone agrees because they all remember why they did the transference and whilst they may have gotten a raw deal from the C'Tan these new bodies don't age and never hurt so why would they ever go back.

I actually think the transferrence is probably the best thing to happen to the Necrons and if it hadn't been for the C'Tan pushing for the second war Szarkeh might have come up with it on his own as a solution to his people's problems that wasn't murder everyone else.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Magmar, you really love Warhammer 18,000,041,000— don't you? I'm not taking a shot at you I'm honestly asking since you seem to have a strong opinion on the era and factions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ProfessorCurly posted:

I think it is slightly more accurate to say that the universe is what was left after the Necrons had finished.

The Necrons were big believers in the cycle of hate; once the universe was finished with them they turned right the gently caress around and did the same things back at it.

The Necrons are undead shadows of the former Necrontyr civilization; they are an interesting example of death because normally when something dies its mind and soul leave the body behind. When the Necrontyr died they left behind their minds instead of their bodies. And minds, as it turns out, do not just quietly rot away, especially when they are entombed within immortal living metal. The Necrons who are still alive today are completely and totally aware of this fact and they have each developed means by which to cope with the reality they find themselves in of being metaphorical thinking corpses. Sometimes that means is they go batshit insane, sometimes that means they build a giant robot museum and populate it with real people time locked in stasis to serve as statues. All in all, given their circumstances, they are coping rather well.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 28, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I get super into most things I like. But yes the universe of Warhammer 40k is probably my favourite because it's so over the top and ridiculous in the best ways. Also I tend to read up on all the other factions because the stuff for the faction I actually play tends towards boring or depressing because Tyranids aren't allowed to actually win, and I accept that but they could at least go into more detail of the victories they do have instead of writing 4 pages about how the Ultramarines succeed against all odds to defend their home planet, or the Tau out adapt a hive fleet by designing and redesigning their weapons to perfectly counter every new biomorph the fleet comes up with until the Tyranids run out of biomass. Basically actually playing Tyranids is nearly as depressing as playing Sisters of Battle so I've learnt to enjoy the setting as a whole to make up for it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lord_Magmar posted:

I actually think the transferrence is probably the best thing to happen to the Necrons and if it hadn't been for the C'Tan pushing for the second war Szarkeh might have come up with it on his own as a solution to his people's problems that wasn't murder everyone else.

The whole transfer process is absolutely the best thing to happen to them, or it would have been if they'd been able to keep their souls in the bargain.

Instead the C'tan stole their souls and ate them and now they get to live for the rest of eternity with a mind and a body, but no soul. Unsurprisingly not all of them are particularly happy about this, also unsurprisingly some of them are like "Soul? gently caress it, never used it anyway." :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I get super into most things I like. But yes the universe of Warhammer 40k is probably my favourite because it's so over the top and ridiculous in the best ways. Also I tend to read up on all the other factions because the stuff for the faction I actually play tends towards boring or depressing because Tyranids aren't allowed to actually win, and I accept that but they could at least go into more detail of the victories they do have instead of writing 4 pages about how the Ultramarines succeed against all odds to defend their home planet, or the Tau out adapt a hive fleet by designing and redesigning their weapons to perfectly counter every new biomorph the fleet comes up with until the Tyranids run out of biomass. Basically actually playing Tyranids is nearly as depressing as playing Sisters of Battle so I've learnt to enjoy the setting as a whole to make up for it.

Hell Nids don't even have the awesomeness that was 3rd ed faith to bitch about coming back, right? Gods I miss 3rd ed acts of faith.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eimi posted:

Hell Nids don't even have the awesomeness that was 3rd ed faith to bitch about coming back, right? Gods I miss 3rd ed acts of faith.

Instead we get to bitch about losing third edition carnifexes which absolutely everyone used because they could be set up in like 400 different load-outs. Mind you most of them were awful but it was the principle of the thing. Basically the way the Tyranid codex shoul be set up is everything should have a lot of customisation options, because Tyranids are constantly evolving to match their prey, as it is they're surprisingly rigid for an army of intergalactic locusts whose entire long-term battle strategy is to be constantly changing and evolving to match the enemies tactics. Also a Gaurd player can outnumber a Tyranid player with a factor of three to one unless you're doing allied battle formation shenanigans.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eimi posted:

Man, I feel your pain. That's what really killed any of my own desire to play, or even get the models.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewMars posted:

Dark Heresy? Please, I want me a rogue trader game. Sandbox colony-building treasure-hunting space-exploring spaceship rpg in the 40k universe. Loot that can kill you! Having so much purchasing power it can only be measured as a roll-under stat and starting off with a ship as big as a city.

It's from a while back and it's not in 40K, but Sunless Sea might be up your alley if you want a game like that.

The three great protips are these: you can gain power from paying attention to the gods, but mostly they'll just gently caress you over.

Running out of supplies is bad, but survivable as long as you have enough crew

Leave the prow lamp off. Yes, your crew goes mad faster in the darkness. Better that than having to fill up your cargo hold with useless fuel.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

It's from a while back and it's not in 40K, but Sunless Sea might be up your alley if you want a game like that.

The three great protips are these: you can gain power from paying attention to the gods, but mostly they'll just gently caress you over.

Running out of supplies is bad, but survivable as long as you have enough crew

Leave the prow lamp off. Yes, your crew goes mad faster in the darkness. Better that than having to fill up your cargo hold with useless fuel.

I have played sunless sea extensively and sadly it is far more limited and awkward in places then I would have liked.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewMars posted:

I have played sunless sea extensively and sadly it is far more limited and awkward in places then I would have liked.

Yeah, Sunless Sea is a fantastic game trying to fight its way out from under a mediocre game, and ends up merely good on average as a result.

The writing is amazing, but the mechanics are a schizoid mix between genius and probably looked better on paper. Imagine the rogue trader game made with that as its skeleton, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In more Tau news, they got yet another "Point at enemies you would like to not exist" toy today.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Metal Gear!?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'm the WS 2, BS 3, and I 2 dork on the inside.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Can you even put a targeting array on that monster?

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Not a Destroyer/anti-Titan weapon, no skyfire options, not interested.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neige posted:

Read again. The pulse blastcannon has the D within ten inches. And it can shoot twice per turn if it stops moving and gives up its stomp attack.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Soooo, I meant to do an update last weekend, but I didn't get around to it because I've playing DoW2 to relax. Man, this game is awesome. Safe to say that I love the whole Dawn of War series now. Blame anilEhilated for the delays since I probably wouldn't have gotten DoW2 if they hadn't pointed out the sale. (Thanks, anilEhilated!)

New post will be coming soon. I figured I might as well take a pre-vote now on which tactics we will be using.

We're going into the Chaos Stronghold next--in eliminating those filthy Gue-la, will we follow the Path of Mont'ka, or the Path of Kauyon?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's gonna be a slog. The patient hunter gets the prey.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Patience pays off.

Cythereal posted:

Read again. The pulse blastcannon has the D within ten inches. And it can shoot twice per turn if it stops moving and gives up its stomp attack.

heh, 10 inch D

Neige posted:

4D6 Str 5 Ap 5 missiles sometimes firing twice means the one serious 'nid player left is very sad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Whichever path we take we must alert our valuable Kroot allies that they should not devour these foes. It could end very badly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blind Sally posted:

Soooo, I meant to do an update last weekend, but I didn't get around to it because I've playing DoW2 to relax. Man, this game is awesome. Safe to say that I love the whole Dawn of War series now. Blame anilEhilated for the delays since I probably wouldn't have gotten DoW2 if they hadn't pointed out the sale. (Thanks, anilEhilated!)

DOWII is an amazing rts/rpg mess. My only real complaint about that gem of a game is how bosses on primarch have stupid amounts of hp that can turn into a slog.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whichever path we take we must alert our valuable Kroot allies that they should not devour these foes. It could end very badly.

Yeah. This isn't a mission for Gregory, unfortunately.

FoolyCharged posted:

DOWII is an amazing rts/rpg mess. My only real complaint about that gem of a game is how bosses on primarch have stupid amounts of hp that can turn into a slog.

Speaking of DoWII, would any other nerds be interested in starting up a Retribution coop?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Vagon posted:

Speaking of DoWII, would any other nerds be interested in starting up a Retribution coop?

Maybe in 3 weeks, I'm in university crunch mode for now

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Vagon posted:

A Retribution co-op, you say? I also enjoy Last Stand.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vagon posted:

Gregory is already an evolutionary dead-end of a Kroot. No worries about him evolving into something horrific. It's Kroot proper that need to mind what they eat.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

In more Tau news, they got yet another "Point at enemies you would like to not exist" toy today.

Get rid of the ridiculous microcephalic head and you have a very decent Battlemech imitation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A pretty dinky 'mech, anyway. Timberwolf, it ain't.

I'd be all for DoW2 co-op, but suspect I'm out due to timezone shenanigans and being stuck in the middle of nowhere Europe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Get rid of the ridiculous microcephalic head and you have a very decent Battlemech imitation.

I'm sure the explanation is "Since a Tau in a battlesuit has all their senses replaced with the suits, leaving off the head would leave them supremely hosed up."

The real explanation is that humie mechs stomp all over shell heads.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I'm sure the explanation is "Since a Tau in a battlesuit has all their senses replaced with the suits, leaving off the head would leave them supremely hosed up."

The real explanation is that humie mechs stomp all over shell heads.

I look that head and keep imagining an assault marine with a thunder hammer playing croquet with it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I look that head and keep imagining an assault marine with a thunder hammer playing croquet with it.

Well yes but any Tau who winds up getting into melee with an Assault marine is mince.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Onmi posted:

Well yes but any Tau who winds up getting into melee with an Assault marine is mince.
Any Tau who winds up getting into melee with a crippled imperial guardsman is mince. :colbert:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

A pretty dinky 'mech, anyway. Timberwolf, it ain't.

I'd be all for DoW2 co-op, but suspect I'm out due to timezone shenanigans and being stuck in the middle of nowhere Europe.

I'd be up for some CET/CEST DoW2 co-op. Steam name's aumanor.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Up for some Last Stand or co-op or even normal games for DoW2! Steams Eimi but I'm also in the group onni posted so it shouldn't be that hard to find me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd be on board for any (vanilla) DC/SS comp stomps, or DoWII/Retribution co-op stuff. http://steamcommunity.com/id/themarksman/

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

I'd be up for some CET/CEST DoW2 co-op. Steam name's aumanor.
Yeah, got your friend request. Sorry I didn't notice earlier, Dark Souls is kinda taxing on attention.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also thought I'd mention if anyone wanted to do some DoW2 stuff, I really recommend the Elite mod. It adds Grey Knights as a faction, and a ton of fluffy units and fixes the balance. It's a pretty solid experience all around, and helped make up for when Relic dropped support. http://www.dawnofwar.info/

For example for the Sphess Mehrines, it adds stuff like Sternguard, Vanguard Veterans, Whirlwinds, as well as changing vanilla stuff. Eldar get Dark Reapers and Firewarriors, Chaos gets Termies, Raptors, and so on. They also add a lot of custom skins, so you can have heresy era armor, Vostroyan Guard and the like.

(It has not made banshees balanced, but good lord have they tried. Every patch has tried to fix them, I think the latest thing they are going to try is remove fleet of foot from them and give them a charge.)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Some co op sounds like fun. I'd be up for that. Steam name is Drakenel. (Though not always, I share the computer/account with other people in the house)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

You guys are tempting me into reinstalling this series :arghfist::saddowns:

Poil posted:

Any Tau who winds up getting into melee with a crippled imperial guardsman is mince. :colbert:

Since that thing's a gargantuan creature with stomp, smash, fear, and hammer of wrath built-in, 8 wounds, 6 toughness and 3+ armor, it could overcome a unit of guardsmen or marines in melee but it wouldn't be pretty for its points cost. A special snowflake with a top tier weapon could feasibly topple that thing tho and that'd make for an awesome synch kill.

e: now with a link for people who haven't seen an example of this series' kill animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8

hard counter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Yes, your crew goes mad faster in the darkness. Better that than having to fill up your cargo hold with useless fuel.

I already like this game. :allears:

• Locked thread