Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

is there like, no legal way to make people contractors and also give them benefits and not treat them like garbage? i'd believe the "ohh we just want to do good by and be flexible for our employees" line if they actually tried to, you know, do any of that poo poo.

there's no law saying you can't give a contractor benefits, iirc. nor is there any law saying you have to give an employee benefits. those are just distractions floated by the companies to make it seem like the big bad government is the one forcing them to mistreat their workers with burdensome regulations

the reason these companies want to make these people contractors is precisely to treat them like garbage. if these workers were employees then the company would have to pay for their equipment, reimburse them for some expenses, pay a portion of their taxes, and so on. the whole business strategy of the "contractor economy" is to push all those expenses onto the worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

jony ive aces posted:

ugh scifi promised us robot butlers and luxury but instead we got unpaid overtime in nonunion jobs :negative:
every 80s and 90s dystopian/cyberpunk story was right

we live in the max headroom universe

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

is there like, no legal way to make people contractors and also give them benefits and not treat them like garbage? i'd believe the "ohh we just want to do good by and be flexible for our employees" line if they actually tried to, you know, do any of that poo poo.

The point of the 1099 contract is either supposed to be for very specific short period employment (say, some store that's only open for a few weeks a year), or for long term employment of skilled professional who has the kind of bargaining power that can guarantee fairish compensation, often in the form of much higher pay in echange for no contract company provided healthcare/etc.

Main Paineframe posted:

there's no law saying you can't give a contractor benefits, iirc. nor is there any law saying you have to give an employee benefits.

no there actually are several laws saying, for instance, that health insurance must be provided to full time employees.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jony ive aces posted:

ugh scifi promised us robot butlers and luxury but instead we got unpaid overtime in nonunion jobs :negative:

oh my, no, you have it all wrong. your parents were promised robot butlers from scifi. you were promised a gritty dystopia, as noted above

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Main Paineframe posted:

there's no law saying you can't give a contractor benefits, iirc. nor is there any law saying you have to give an employee benefits.

actually, the more benefits to which both contractors and employees have access, the higher the risk of misclassification

of course many companies still try to provide significant (or total) control over when, where, and how contractors work—which are by far the biggest cause for misclassification—but they try to weasel out of these other things at the same time by citing risk

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
you can't treat contractors like employees without them agitating to be made real employees, which is why no one gives contractors benefits.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

the reason these companies want to make these people contractors is precisely to treat them like garbage. if these workers were employees then the company would have to pay for their equipment, reimburse them for some expenses, pay a portion of their taxes, and so on. the whole business strategy of the "contractor economy" is to push all those expenses onto the worker.

i mean yes i know this is the real reason but they could at least try to give contractors tiny morsels of things to make it look less like they're completely being screwed.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

you must have a brain problem

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most big companies hire w-2 contractors through a staffing agency, some of which provide benefits

that said my last contract gig 2 companies called me about the same position, one at $55 with some p lovely benefits and one at $65 with none except non-matching 401k

they were both billing my employer $100/hour

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i mean yes i know this is the real reason but they could at least try to give contractors tiny morsels of things to make it look less like they're completely being screwed.

why bother spending money on that when lies accomplish the same thing for cheaper?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phoenixan posted:

every 80s and 90s dystopian/cyberpunk story was right

we live in the max headroom universe

amanda pays :allears:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

most big companies hire w-2 contractors through a staffing agency, some of which provide benefits

that said my last contract gig 2 companies called me about the same position, one at $55 with some p lovely benefits and one at $65 with none except non-matching 401k

they were both billing my employer $100/hour

My employer is making around $135-$140 off my labor. Its fine since I'm paid pretty handsomely for the work I do, but I figure they could at least give me 1-2% match on my 401k. There're rumors that this will be happening soon.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
401(k) is for suckers tho

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

http://www.dozesf.com/

"A place to schedule rest when you need it most; whether a power nap, or just a little peace and quiet."
They're renting what look like first class airline chairs.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 28, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LionYeti posted:

http://www.dozesf.com/

A place to schedule rest when you need it most; whether a power nap, or just a little peace and quiet. They're renting what look like first class airline chairs.

i remember seeing some douche selling 20 minute naps in "sleep pods" in New York City like 10 years ago that looked much nicer than those chairs "energy pods" and came with soothing music and stuff

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Quote is not edit

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Would anyone like to see footage of the terifying mob attack on the hipster cereal cafe ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34379218

Not exactly the la riots

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

guy that coined ~~disruption~~ gets disrupted, tells everyone else they're wrong

quote:

It wasn’t until a piece that we published in 2002 that we figured out the causal mechanism that is fundamental to the theory of disruption. It was a professor at Tuck, and he built a mathematical model and showed mathematically that I had gotten the causal mechanism wrong.

So does it discredit the theory? No, it just keeps improving.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
http://www.floatmatrix.com/

The next stage tends to be the most difficult part as one realizes that there is nothing to do. This is where most get fidgety and restless. During this time of feeling restless, simply feeling the breath will help you to relax easier. This period can last from 10 to 20 minutes, but as the Epsom salt relaxes the muscles, the mind begins to relax as well until it "lets go".

A lot of these opening up everywhere. I think Vancouver has a bunch.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the kid who wrote the hello my future girlfriend page eventually came out; how long until the former homejoy CEO Mediums about his marxism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shadowhand00 posted:

The next stage tends to be the most difficult part as one realizes that there is nothing to do. This is where most get fidgety and restless. During this time of feeling restless, simply feeling the breath will help you to relax easier. This period can last from 10 to 20 minutes, but as the Epsom salt relaxes the muscles, the mind begins to relax as well until it "lets go".

better than an oxygen bar since you don't hafta pay a doctor to be on site

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shadowhand00 posted:

i unironically want to try this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm pretty sure sensory deprivation would make my add go terminal :ohdear:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

My buddy does it like once per month and waxes about constantly. He loves it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
We've always called them sensory deprivation chambers. Been around forever.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

Accelerating Discounts
Are there other ways to earn higher level discounts?

Yes. If you bring someone in with you, you will receive an extra level promotion! How quickly you will be off to earning half off your floats.

If I miss a month, do I have to start over?

No. If you miss a month, you simply move back one level. For instance, if you are currently level 4 and receive a 40% discount and it has been between 31-60 days since your previous float, you will move back to level 3 and recieve 30% discount... if it has been 61-90 days, you will move back to level 2, and so on.

MLM isolation tanks

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Smythe posted:

We've always called them sensory deprivation chambers. Been around forever.

ya they sound like a nice way to relax

i wouldn't go to that one in particular, though

quote:

In this unique environment one floats in a therapeutic solution of the mineral that is known to cause release in muscles.

quote:

The Infrared Sauna removes toxins from the body better than any device available. They estimate up to 60% more than a traditional sauna without the excessive heat.

Infrared light penetrates the body and melts fatty acids, triglycerides, cholesterol, and cellulite that store the toxins allowing the toxins to be flushed out of the body. As the light heats up the water in the body, the water vibrates and loosens the toxins to be purged through sweat. Infrared light causes the body to rise in temperature a few degrees killing viruses, bacteria, and cancer cells.

moderate heat, the cancer killer big pharma don't want you to know about

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they should instead write a couple of apps to manage a global network of independent contractors each running their own relaxation-isolation business, where all they have to do is supply a tank and sign up to provide the service

then they could use an app to match nearby customers to tanks and manage payments

to keep quality consistently high customers could review the tanks they visit

$1 safe float fee

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

suffix posted:

ya they sound like a nice way to relax

i wouldn't go to that one in particular, though

moderate heat, the cancer killer big pharma don't want you to know about

mother loving "toxins". there oughtta be a law where they have to list the "toxins" that they clean off of you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prefect posted:

mother loving "toxins". there oughtta be a law where they have to list the "toxins" that they clean off of you

infra-red absorption causes your body to expel a combination of NaCL and dihydrogen-monoxide, both potentially lethal compounds containing harmful elements

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

someone left these on cars in portland today

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it's your fault for not bringing your new car to an independent emissions testing laboratory and for buying a car from a company that was founded by nazis before being dismantled and recreated by the british

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CommunistPancake posted:

it's your fault for living in portland

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

whoever did that is objectivley an rear end in a top hat. like, an actual anus.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
nazis :(

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also founded by nazis:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hitler just wanted families to go fast

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah lemme just bust out a cool twenty k for a new car because of your note, fuckface. gently caress passive aggressive people in their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

How on earth would someone think that message would resonate with anyone?

• Locked thread