Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

Mel makes some pretty good recommendations but his frank nature is easy to take as trolling.

I've been reading through the books everybody recommend - The Gone Away World was pretty good and I got my brother a copy of it for his birthday, The Secret History was incredible and I'm now going to read all of Donna Tartt's novels and Carry the One was a great read, it really reminded me of Franzen. I'm currently reading I Am Radar and it reminds me a lot of Chabon's style.

I really really love Carry the One, glad I finally got someone else to read it. It was my book of the year in 2012. It has one of my favorite depictions of addictions and the toll it takes on the family of the addict.

I also like any fiction that wrestles with characters dealing with impossibly tragic moments. I am reading I Saw a Man by Owen Sheers right now and it is sort of similar but its almost too tragic. Like, it goes beyond pushing a character to limits of his psychological strength and is just deliberately piling on impossible tragedies now.

Music Theory posted:

These look good; thanks. (Although I still want to hear Mel's recommendations)

Honestly not a huge fan of Calvino (one of my trolling moments I guess?) but yeah if you want to read more from him Invisible Cities is his other big one.

Beyond that, Pale Fire is a good choice. House of Leaves works too. Cloud Atlas like someone else said is also good. I recently read Valeria Luiselli and Enrique Vila-Matas and they are also pretty similar in style and themes I think. There is another one on the tip of my tongue and its driving me nuts trying to remember.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
A friend's brother-in-law is an addict and the portrayal seems very true to what he's told me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just finished Aquarium and that was a hell of a book, thanks whoever in here was talking about it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Nonexistent Knight

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Don't read Cloud Atlas it's terrible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just finished Aquarium and that was a hell of a book, thanks whoever in here was talking about it.

Glad you liked it

Seriously, wasn't that part in the middle where the mom wanted her daughter "to know what it was like" some of the most intense writing you've ever read? I was practically sweating.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

The Nonexistent Knight

This is my favorite Calvino I also should have mentioned it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Glad you liked it

Seriously, wasn't that part in the middle where the mom wanted her daughter "to know what it was like" some of the most intense writing you've ever read? I was practically sweating.

Yeah, once I hit that bit I couldn't put the book down until I finished it. I was just completely compelled to see it through to the end.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

The Nonexistent Knight

I've already read that, and yeah it is great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ta-Nehisi Coates got a MacArthur grant :toot:

So did Ben Lerner :eng99:

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

I don't know much about Lerner but 10:04 was so incredibly pretentious that I had to put the book down a couple of times from constantly rolling my eyes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mira posted:

I don't know much about Lerner but 10:04 was so incredibly pretentious that I had to put the book down a couple of times from constantly rolling my eyes.

10:04 is incredibly depressing because chapters 2 and 3 are actually really powerful and brilliant but holy poo poo if the rest of the book isn't unforgivable navel gasing white make bullshit.

Chapters 1, 4, and 5 are what people who say they hate modern literature think modern literature is.

I mean Jesus Christ there is a scene where he is volunteering to bag groceries for his vegan co-op and thinking unironically about how he is not as cliche as these other Brooklyn hipsters.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 29, 2015

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Guys I read Doris Lessing's The Fifth Child and it was not good. It was, in fact, bad.

Going to go for JR next!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just started reading Moby Dick and tbh I didn't know writing could be this good. Holy poo poo.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

NienNunb posted:

I just started reading Moby Dick and tbh I didn't know writing could be this good. Holy poo poo.

That about sums up my initial experience with it too.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ulvir posted:

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

Evelyn Waugh

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

oops I was two pages too late to make that joke

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm slowley making my way through maldoror at a crawl but I'm thinking a lot about zeno's conscious and the moments where he goes to the shrill voiced singer and in his first attempt to truly make her his mistress her akward mother is there as well and he just sits and reads from a singing theory book hoping she would leave but she is to petrified to move and lmao

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a second hand bookshop near me which has taken the odd decision to sort authors based on gender and Evelyn Waugh and George Eliot threw them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Guys, there is a literary mystery afoot and maybe you can help solve it for me.

When I was in college, I read a 1947 edition of Henry Miller's The Wisdom of the Heart, which included a bizarre, stream-of-consciousness prose-poem-type thing called "Finale". Screengrab of a page from Henry Miller; an informal bibliography, 1924-1960 by Esta Lou Riley:

"Finale" does not appear in any later editions of this work -- Table of Contents from 1960 edition and all later editions.

Now, fortunately, I discovered this mysterious absence from later editions while I was an undergrad, so in the interest of being able to read it again later in life, I copied out "Finale" in one of my notebooks, which I found today. :woop: Here's the first page or so --

quote:

Eye to eye, fire to fire, blood-red ice and black perfume, moon goddess and moon fire, the smoke of vanished kisses, harp bleeding its green music, poppies floating in a cold sea. The roundness of the beginning, the end like a navel; craters flowing with blood-red ice, hemispheres of warm milk, swan’s down and meat of olives.

The miracle is good-bye and that ends it. Farms, faces, wheels grinding. Black chunks of earth flying skyward.

A thousand years of melancholy lie between us and she has no answer to make. What is there to answer if life is a poem, the drug and incense of endless yesterdays and tomorrows? Under the table our knees touch. Under how many tables knees and hands, skeletons articulated with love, things that walk automatically and touch, pollen, roots digging down, fibers and vertebrae, green juices, the wind soughing and things crawling in the night, making no sound. Stir and movement, wings folding, the prick of light without heat, worlds sighing inaudibly and bones whitening and dust coming to life.

My whole life is hanging by a thread.

The remembrance of things is in her touch – incorruptible egg that precedes and endures, memory unsponged and glowing with a last light. The ripple of her loins secreted in blood, her breasts tipped with melancholy, the drugged smoke and passion of her lies laced with scars and fang-whorl, dyke on dyke of bleeding harps, of kisses suffocated with poppies, of youth run out, of womb turned and strings snapping with death. The music of night written on sand. The spangled sand of the stars. Waves that light the scorpion’s nest:

The end. All things come to an end where they begin again, assuming a circle or a dog chasing its tail or eternity cognized which is incomprehensible and indefeasible. The end is a weasel licking its chops. Revolvers clicking automatically where the spine flattens into a globe. The end is a circle that coagulates into points which never existed and could not now exist were there no blackboards and what makes them blackboards. The end is when every drawer has been ransacked, rings drowned, certificates burned, no passports, no pictures on the wall, no calendars, when everything can be put in a handkerchief and you don’t need initials in your hat any more. When size is an empty equation.

[...]

[I've transcribed the whole thing, but I don't know if it's still under copyright. I can quote more of it if anyone's interested.]

I'm dying to know: A) why it was excised from later editions, and 2) what...what it's all about? What does it mean, what inspired Miller to write it, what is it alluding to, etc.? But what's even weirder than "Finale" is, is the fact that I can't find any reference to "Finale"'s existence anywhere other than the bibliography above. I've searched using Google and Google Scholar, and I've searched in all the academic research databases my university subscribes to -- no dice. I can't find any mention of it anywhere -- no criticism or commentary on it, no citations, nothing.

:tinfoil:

Have any of you ever read it? Is there another SA thread I should post this in for a better chance of getting some clues?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aw, did I kill the thread?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill posted:

Aw, did I kill the thread?

No but I have no idea how to approach finding anything about it. I looked and found poo poo, emailed an old professor and he found poo poo.

If I had to guess I honestly still wouldn't know where to start. I don't even like Miller but your question is interesting.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, thank you for doing that much!

I'll create a thread here to catch any stray Miller fans.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this year's nobel prize in literature being announced tomorrow! my money's on some old white bloke hardly anyone's heard about and who has never had any of his works being published

comedy option: murakami lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it's gonna be the sad puppies guy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GRR Martin is apparently 50/1 odds so one person who can nominate writers is clearly an impossible goon

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

GRR Martin is apparently 50/1 odds so one person who can nominate writers is clearly an impossible goon

It's me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I pray to God its anyone but Phillip Roth or Joyce Carol Oates

Alexievich would be a really interesting win. Not many have one for journalistic non-fiction and oral history.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

has someone seriously nominated him?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

The only reason I could imagine he would be in the betting pool at all is if there was some leak from one of the eligible nominators that he was listed

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

ulvir posted:

Also Bob Dylan and Neil Gaiman: https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/awards/nobel-prize-in-literature/2015-nobel-prize-for-literature/220019571/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only reason I could imagine he would be in the betting pool at all is if there was some leak from one of the eligible nominators that he was listed

Or to collect money from people who would bet on him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bob Dylan shows up every year and I want to find the fucker who keeps bringing him up.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
anybody can call the betting office and ask to place a bet on whomever, so it's not a given he was nominated. then again, there have been 200 ppl nominated this year, so i wouldn't be too surprised if CestMoi's bid got in. the bookies were gamed a couple of years ago, because apparently the betting activity is so low that one 20 euro bet done from sweden made the odds (for Alexievitch, I think) drop heavily.

anyway, over the last month i read a few of the authors that are often mentioned in the nobel discussion but I hadn't read before (Oz, ben Jelloun, Magris, Aira, Fosse, Krasznahorkai) and my prize would go to Amos Oz. the only reason he hasn't received it yet is probably because he already has all the prizes. but I have a feeling that this year it should be a non-westerner, so he has a good chance, I think. then again, I remember reading that the new head of the committee has said something about women not being represented enough, so eh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I haven't read any of those authors except for Aira, and therefore he should win.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm rooting for Kjell Askildsen and Knausgård, but I'm biased because "we" haven't won one since the 1920s

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ulvir posted:

I'm rooting for Kjell Askildsen and Knausgård, but I'm biased because "we" haven't won one since the 1920s

if you broaden that "we" just a little bit to Scandinavians then "you've" won most of them

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

ulvir posted:

Knausgård is the popular name but as far as Norwegian writers go people seem to talk about Dag Solstad as the biggest candidate. altho it seems solstad has relatively few but very vocal fans. haven't read him or askildsen tho

by the way, you might know: what is it with Fosse and 'yes' repeated at every sentence? is it supposed to be actual 'ja' or whatever it is in Danish or more like 'mhm' agreement sound? or is it just his tick and nobody actually talks like that?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I haven't read any of those authors except for Aira, and therefore he should win.

Aira is v. good, too, i'll def read more of his stuff. i read the landscape painter one, but i already got a couple more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

Aira is v. good, too, i'll def read more of his stuff. i read the landscape painter one, but i already got a couple more.

That one's good, Literary Conference is really great and features Cesar Aira watching Carlos Fuentes watch a play he's made and he's like "man Fuentes probably thinks this is dumb poo poo what the hell was I thinking this play is rear end" and then some other things happen.