Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think they'll be able to get the rights to make a Silent Hill game, but I could see Kojima, Del Toro, and Ito all trying to band together again to make their own independent horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I played both Penumbra games back to back and remember liking Overture more than Black Plague. I think having a voice constantly talking to you in your head kind of undermined the feeling of isolation in Black Plague and I didn't find myself getting as creeped out by it.

I liked Overture way more than Black Plague even though, in many ways, Black Plague is a lot scarier. But yeah, the voice in the head was just... a really annoying voice.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think they'll be able to get the rights to make a Silent Hill game, but I could see Kojima, Del Toro, and Ito all trying to band together again to make their own independent horror game.

Maybe without having Norman Reedus in it too would be fantastic.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

chitoryu12 posted:

all of these guys can command a pretty healthy salary, that and the fact that horror games are financially risky makes it unlikely that it would be indie or that a large company would provide the resources for them to develop something worthwhile

you cant just mash together talent and expect a good product either, like the recent jodorowsky's dune demonstrated.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Raymond Hog posted:

i feel like something is going to happen w/r/t silent hills. with del toro teasing junji ito on twitter like a year after the game was cancelled it feels more like a tease of whats to come rather than a sorrowful reminder of what happened. at least i really hope so. that would be xtremely hosed up if the fat gamer guy teased us like that

Didn't he only actually get a twitter account like a week or two ago

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Didn't he only actually get a twitter account like a week or two ago

idk man. i just really want this game to happen and i will be insanely bummed if it doesnt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Raymond Hog posted:

idk man. i just really want this game to happen and i will be insanely bummed if it doesnt

Same here

Maybe Pacific Rim 2 will secretly be Silent Hills somehow

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Same here

Maybe Pacific Rim 2 will secretly be Silent Hills somehow

Both are just stages in Frog Fractions 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Section 9 posted:

But he had been through it twice before and come out as the consciousness on the other side of the transfer, so he was expecting it would happen again and was angry that he ended up being left behind, and is irrational in his despair that he's doomed. Basically, there are a couple of Simon streams of consciousness that we see. There's Simon going to the brain scan. There's Simon waking up in Upsilon. There's Simon waking up in the dive suit. There's Simon waking up in the Ark. In the game we're playing the stream of the third Simon, who has experienced the previous two streams because they're in his memory. So up to that point, he's been continuous and expects the same will happen when he transfers to the Ark. We see the frustration of the one that get's left behind. It also disproves Dr. Sarang's theory of continuity, and all those people that killed themselves did not magically end up being their consciousness in the Ark. I think it's pretty apt since it's the same frustration the the player probably feels after going through all of that and not getting to experience the "good ending". Of course, then they give us the good ending post credits.

I don't know that this opinion of it needs to be in spoilers, but I'll do it just to be safe. The horror in SOMA is not the monsters, the creepy environments, or fear of death. It's the deeper implications of all the decision you have to make. I love that your choices don't really change the plot, give you "good" or "evil" points, or give you better endings or anything. You're left to decide if your choices were the right ones on your own. It's not about winning the game or losing the game, it's about exploring how you really feel about the questions it explores.

he never came through - the Simon put to sleep/you kill is who you were playing up until then. since he has all the memory up until that point the deep suit Simon thinks he's the one that was originally activated on PATHOS-II. he should however realize that he's a copy when he goes to kill the original PATHOS-II Simon

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 28, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Relin posted:

all of these guys can command a pretty healthy salary, that and the fact that horror games are financially risky makes it unlikely that it would be indie or that a large company would provide the resources for them to develop something worthwhile

you cant just mash together talent and expect a good product either, like the recent jodorowsky's dune demonstrated.

...can't you? I feel like PT did that and it totally worked?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, but PT was a short little demo versus a eight hour game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I heard something that vaguely implied something about Soma, and I want to make sure its not true. Its not all a dream or a hallucination right?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I heard something that vaguely implied something about Soma, and I want to make sure its not true. Its not all a dream or a hallucination right?

Nope. Trust me I thought that way too in the beginning, but noooooope.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shindragon posted:

Nope. Trust me I thought that way too in the beginning, but noooooope.

Ok, just making sure, I don't want to waste my money on a game if its just going to end with some lame twist that makes everything that happens pointless.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, SOMA does not deal in lame twists.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
Any twists you might imagine are explicit parts of the story form early on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

PT could've been made by a single person though.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ok, just making sure, I don't want to waste my money on a game if its just going to end with some lame twist that makes everything that happens pointless.

the "twist" everyone thought before the game even came out isn't a twist it's straight up told to you and very obvious from early on.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

PT could've been made by a single person though.

the "twist" everyone thought before the game even came out isn't a twist it's straight up told to you and very obvious from early on.

Practically every big plot reveal in SOMA is a slow unfolding, each note preceded by one or more materials you can find and read or listen to that either spell it out for you or imply it strongly - Simon remains slightly behind the attentive player in terms of comprehension for most of the game, but it's framed well enough that by the end you get the feeling that he's actively refusing to put two and two together until something hits him in the face with whatever newest horror he's encountered because that's basically the only way an otherwise normal guy could keep putting one foot in front of the other under the circumstances.

Edit: There are big reveals, but they're not plot reveals. They're setting and concept reveals, and they're mostly of the "wow, that's really pretty and also unsettling" variety as opposed to shocking awfulness. It's a science fiction game with heavy (body)horror elements, and barring a few segments - one, really, interrupted briefly by an elevator in the early game - every area you're presented with has a new internal logic to tease out that has nothing to do with puzzles or gameplay and everything to do with its placement and purpose in a strange world.

Edit 2: Even the aforementioned segment has its own distinct place and history. Unfortunately it feels like that history is "was prototyped early on when we were still messing with pace and gameplay and then not revisited due to time/budget constraints."

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 29, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Throwing in with the "SOMA is better after the first hour", once you get into the meat of the game it really does get back into "good" territory. Plus the difficulty of the puzzles evens out a bit; some of the earlier ones were a bit confusing and unclear imo, the later ones make it more interesting and dynamic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda hosed up that when an actual good horror game comes out this thread dies. much like simon alone at the bottom of the sea

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm really not digging how closely tethered the monsters in Soma are to the player's location. Okay, time to hide behind a pillar. Alright, It seems to be shambling away. It's past the doorway, I'll wait a bit and crouch walk into the hallway and and sneak past it while it's in one of the other rooms. Never mind, it's coming back. Time to hide behind the same pillar and try again (repeat for 20 minutes). The monsters in Amnesia had the decency to eventually despawn and leave me in peace.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Contingency Plan posted:

I'm really not digging how closely tethered the monsters in Soma are to the player's location. Okay, time to hide behind a pillar. Alright, It seems to be shambling away. It's past the doorway, I'll wait a bit and crouch walk into the hallway and and sneak past it while it's in one of the other rooms. Never mind, it's coming back. Time to hide behind the same pillar and try again (repeat for 20 minutes). The monsters in Amnesia had the decency to eventually despawn and leave me in peace.

Each of the monsters has a detection method that you can kind of game. spotlight? Stay out of it. Notice when you look at them? I just walked backwards through a whole level, no problem. Sound sensitive? Throw stray items for decoys

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's kinda hosed up that when an actual good horror game comes out this thread dies. much like simon alone at the bottom of the sea
The SOMA thread seems pretty busy, I think everyone's in there. I'm still plodding my way through it slowly like a big dunce, it's really coming together though. Just found Catherine.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Each of the monsters has a detection method that you can kind of game. spotlight? Stay out of it. Notice when you look at them? I just walked backwards through a whole level, no problem. Sound sensitive? Throw stray items for decoys

Yep, people just want to cheese them and make them irrelevant like in Amnesia

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pretty much the only monsters I found obnoxious were the disco balls in the Curie and the dive suit thing in Tau. Everything else was a joke, so perfunctory that I wonder why Frictional bothered with them at all.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

1stGear posted:

Pretty much the only monsters I found obnoxious were the disco balls in the Curie and the dive suit thing in Tau. Everything else was a joke, so perfunctory that I wonder why Frictional bothered with them at all.

I think its mostly because that's what people expect from a Frictional game and I think people like us who aren't actually scared by videogames don't understand that they actually scare some people just by their presence I think.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Jim Flatline posted:

I think its mostly because that's what people expect from a Frictional game and I think people like us who aren't actually scared by videogames don't understand that they actually scare some people just by their presence I think.

Yeah, the fear for me comes from the inevitable encounter, not the monster. If you can make it look like the monster is around the corner for the whole game, I'd be way more afraid. Monster attacks just release tension, cuz there's no actual risk once that happens. I was terrified in SOMA, but not once the monsters actually attacked me. Maybe in Tau but only because it had been hyped up as extremely difficult. I think the Proxies were actually the best enemy in SOMA because they provided the constant tension and not wanting to move, but they didn't truly inhibit your movement and it didn't make it impossible to hang around and read story stuff.

Personally, I liked Simon, by the way. He's a petulant little poo poo-head who refuses to face the grim facts of reality, which is exactly what most people are like. I don't get the people who whined about the VO either, since it sounded like regular people talking without over-the-top dramatics and poo poo. Hollywood and gaming has really hosed up people's perceptions of how people actually interact and then actual realistic behavior seems really low-budget and bad, I think.

This all coulda gone in the SOMA thread, but, you know. Better discussion here right now. SOMA thread is more about the gamey part at the moment.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 30, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That reminds me, anyone designing a horror game of any kind ever should be required to watch this first:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-horror-edition

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Didn't see anyone has mentioned it, but if you enjoyed those SOMA ARG videos then it looks they've started to make more of them and it's nice to finally make sense of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8I_J2VjsqQ

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me, anyone designing a horror game of any kind ever should be required to watch this first:

It'd be better to watch this one.

The next Frictional game will feature players being stalked by their unpaid mortgage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is amazing. :3:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Neo Rasa posted:

I rewatch this every time it's posted. It pretty much perfectly summarizes what works and doesn't work in horror games, it's done for comedy but it's an honest impression from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a bunch of preconceptions about the genre.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I rewatch this every time it's posted. It pretty much perfectly summarizes what works and doesn't work in horror games, it's done for comedy but it's an honest impression from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a bunch of preconceptions about the genre.

I think a lot of horror games are built specifically for people who approach them expecting to be scared. They're not inherently scary, at least no more than jump scares can be. But people approach with the mindset of "I'm gonna get so scared OMG" and flip out at every little thing. Or, more cynically, "My viewers on YouTube really like when I scream like a girl and fall out of my chair so HERE I GO BOYS"

I should actually start writing a treatment of that horror game idea I thought up earlier, the one based on It Follows. I got some ideas for it that I want to get down before they disappear.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Personally, I've always found something inherently creepy about single player first person games. It took me well into my late teens to get past it and horror games really touch on that for me.

I'm not sure why single player fps stuff spooked me as a kid and teen, but there you go. Probably the sense of isolation combined with fighting for your life against AI or something. The fear I feel in horror games isn't the poo poo you see from youtubers, it's just quickened breathing or heart rate and physical tension which really fucks with you over a long period of time.

I find simple spooky horror stuff in games really effective, but I've never been spooked by a film or book at all.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 30, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm spooked all the time by everything and I hope I never lose this sense of spookitude

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Faffel posted:

Personally, I've always found something inherently creepy about single player first person games. It took me well into my late teens to get past it and horror games really touch on that for me.

IMO it's the lack of peripheral vision or general sensory awareness. Old games were especially bad about this since sound was so sparse: a monster could easily just sneak up on you and then hit you from behind without making any noise until the loud Doom Guy grunt and screen flashing red.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

I think a lot of horror games are built specifically for people who approach them expecting to be scared. They're not inherently scary, at least no more than jump scares can be. But people approach with the mindset of "I'm gonna get so scared OMG" and flip out at every little thing. Or, more cynically, "My viewers on YouTube really like when I scream like a girl and fall out of my chair so HERE I GO BOYS"

I should actually start writing a treatment of that horror game idea I thought up earlier, the one based on It Follows. I got some ideas for it that I want to get down before they disappear.

A lot of horror games are contrived for this but they're usually the worst ones to people like me (videogames/films don't scare me anymore) which is why SOMA is good because it seems to please everyone.

Faffel posted:

Personally, I liked Simon, by the way. He's a petulant little poo poo-head who refuses to face the grim facts of reality, which is exactly what most people are like. I don't get the people who whined about the VO either, since it sounded like regular people talking without over-the-top dramatics and poo poo. Hollywood and gaming has really hosed up people's perceptions of how people actually interact and then actual realistic behavior seems really low-budget and bad, I think.

I liked him too because he was a massive idiot rather than the cynical players mouthpiece/surrogate or blank slate. Also I have no idea what people mean when they say the VO is bad either.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
October is almost upon us, and I am in dire need of scary games!

:spooky:Spooktober 2015:spooky:

Here is my list so far:
1. Soma
2. Layers of Fear
3. Stray Cat Crossing

Who's got more suggestions? PC preferred. Also I've already played Until Dawn.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 30, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
alone in the dark (the original). get some history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Relin posted:

alone in the dark (the original). get some history

Not scares or good gameplay. Just history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mz58SFm4Y