Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just saw that it meets the Japanese oil standard for motorcycles on the bottle.

Should I dump the possibility ~5 year old oil and put in some T6 and go nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

I've always just used the T Triple Protection conventional.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Phone posted:

Yes, the T6 is rated JASO compliant. I've used it in my CBR1100xx and Vmax for years, no issues. The triple is fine too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know how many bottles of Rotella T and T6 I have purchased in the last two years since discovering it but I do love it for everything motorcycle and car, especially solid-tappet cars.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Before diving into this, I figured I'd check the battery. It shouldn't be the battery since it's brand new this season, but now I'm thinking it may be.

I trickle charged it for ~6 hours. When I took it off, the voltage on the battery off the bike was 12.8v or so. After putting it into the bike, without even starting it, the standing voltage was 11.8. As soon as I tried to start the bike I could tell it wasn't getting the juice it needed. After maybe a combined 10s of trying to start the bike, the starter just stopped attempting to fire, and the voltage over the battery (with the bike still off) was now in the 9v range. That's got to be the battery, right? A fully charged battery should provide way more power than that?

Well that's certainly the right place to start. I've never had a battery charge that high (unless your meter is off) and even after a few seconds of trying to start the bike you should still be close to 12v.
You sure that you don't have a wire grounding out and draining current? (replace battery anyway.)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How many of you change your own tires? One of my friends who worked at a shop for a short time says never to do it yourself (with tire levers etc), you'll rip the tire, etc etc. Most other people don't seem to have such strong feelings. I ask cause I've got a track tire and a street tire now, and I can't really keep shelling out $40 every time I want to swap the two.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Its a royal loving pain in the rear end and worth the $40 for me every single time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

How many of you change your own tires? One of my friends who worked at a shop for a short time says never to do it yourself (with tire levers etc), you'll rip the tire, etc etc. Most other people don't seem to have such strong feelings. I ask cause I've got a track tire and a street tire now, and I can't really keep shelling out $40 every time I want to swap the two.

I change my own.

I'll say this, it's a hell of a lot easier to do it with the NO MAR tire changer than it is to do with irons.
You have to be pretty ham-fisted to rip a tire. You have soft sportbike tires so I don't see why it would be a problem.

Honestly though, if you track it, you should just get a second set of wheels+rotors. That way you don't have to balance the fuckers every time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, as I posted that I realized an extra wheel would probably be the best compromise :v:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

M42 posted:

I do my own, i have a diy rig for bead breaking and a diy version of the no-mar bar GnarlyCharlie mentioned.
It still a pain in the arse, in a track day situation I'd buy a second set of rims/brake disks, mount the race tyres to them and swap back and forth.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I do my own as well, it's a pain in the rear end but well worth the money it saves. If I brought my own tires to a shop, I would pay ~$120 for the job. If I bought the tires from them they would charge less for the job, but their tires are more expensive than the shop. Going to buy a small compressor and a tire changer this year - total price for those are 2x tire jobs so they'll earn their keep quickly.

If I was changing tires over frequently, I too would get used rims and then move the brake disks over - they can cost a lot of money, and you bed them in to the pads so I assume it might be better to let the pads wear on one set of disks only. This might be a total non-issue for all I know.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Last year I swapped the stock bars on my naked SV650 for some woodcraft clipons with a 2 inch rise. Because I used the stock top triple I ended up having to use two spacers to clear the bolts on the triple. Between the lower bars and the even more forward stance (unscientifically appeared to be reasonably worse than the stock sv650s position) made the bike really annoying on long rides.

For this year I swapped back to the stock bars which was reasonably straightforward. What's the best option for being able to swap between the two control heights easily? Ideally I'd be able to lower the bars to a clipon position for trackdays or other spirited riding but raise them back up to stock-ish height for long trips.

I see the convertibars product but it's rather expensive. It would allow me to adjust the height on the fly without having to redo the controls. The Woodcraft clipons would potentially allow me to swap back and forth but the spacers move the bars too far forward for my liking so to use Woodcraft I'd need to source an SV650S triple and figure out how to mount my gauges. Are there any other good options?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

M42 posted:

If you really do this a lot, price getting extra wheels and see when the break-even point is.

e;fb i guess, so i'll share what I have to do so I dont drive off with the screamer attached to my wheel:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TEAH SYAG posted:

Yes, the T6 is rated JASO compliant. I've used it in my CBR1100xx and Vmax for years, no issues. The triple is fine too.

Oil question: I, too, am sick of spending ludicrous amounts of money for bike rated 10w40 to stick in my run of the mill bieks. Unfortunately we don't get rotella here. How can I tell if any given oil off the shelf has friction modifiers or not? AFAIK the API Sx ratings don't indicate one way or another and I don't want to gently caress my clutches buying the wrong thing.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anything rated for heavy diesel work, Rotella, Delo, etc will generally be the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what, like CI-4? CJ-4? There are heaps of different diesel oils.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

So what, like CI-4? CJ-4? There are heaps of different diesel oils.

Rimula R4X is JASO compliant, but i bet most of the cheap 5l jugs of diesel oil will be too.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats the best place to order suzuki oem parts from in the us? I just need some small parts and every place that I've found is charging like $20 for shipping.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dealer parts counter?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats the best place to order suzuki oem parts from in the us? I just need some small parts and every place that I've found is charging like $20 for shipping.

partzilla isnt that awful. I used them a lot when refitting a gs500.

ALSO, anyone know any magic for fixing scratches in a plastic visor? or at least lessening their appearance?

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 28, 2015

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Who are going to include that $20 shipping cost anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

Rimula R4X is JASO compliant, but i bet most of the cheap 5l jugs of diesel oil will be too.

So are you saying that basically anything with a JASO rating (and the right viscosity) will be ok? Like what do I actually look for on the packet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sometimes I find Buell parts on Amazon. I figure that means chances of finding Suzuki parts are way better.

Slavvy posted:

So are you saying that basically anything with a JASO rating (and the right viscosity) will be ok? Like what do I actually look for on the packet.

Yeah that's right. Look for the JASO or API ratings on the label.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

partzilla isnt that awful. I used them a lot when refitting a gs500.

ALSO, anyone know any magic for fixing scratches in a plastic visor? or at least lessening their appearance?

Something that wide, you're better off replacing the visor. You *can* polish it but you're talking literal hours of work, some of it with pretty nasty chemicals. Also the bit you polish will no longer have a UV filter so it'll start yellowing, and it'll also be thinner and weaker, which you don't really want in something that's protecting your sight.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
God damnit, had a killer deal lined up on an FZ6 but it had been a while since I'd ridden one and it was so much more sportbikey than I expected. As soon as I pulled away I knew I couldn't do it. It felt like I was in the fetal position and I know that bike isn't that extreme at all.

I also test rode a 2015 Versys and it felt heavy and disconnected.

This stupid DRZSM has ruined me for "normal" bikes.

What's the best bet for a light, sumo-style seating position bike with FI, a smooth motor with okay highway capability, and preferably ABS? CB500X?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 28, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What's the best bet for a light, sumo-style seating position bike with FI, a smooth motor with okay highway capability, and preferably ABS? CB500X?

Hyperstrada.

Street Triple?

Tuono!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Sometimes I find Buell parts on Amazon. I figure that means chances of finding Suzuki parts are way better.

Yeah that's right. Look for the JASO or API ratings on the label.

If I end up destroying my engine by doing this I will hold you personally accountable :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

God damnit, had a killer deal lined up on an FZ6 but it had been a while since I'd ridden one and it was so much more sportbikey than I expected. As soon as I pulled away I knew I couldn't do it. It felt like I was in the fetal position and I know that bike isn't that extreme at all.

As always, the answer is once again, Superduke.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Something that wide, you're better off replacing the visor. You *can* polish it but you're talking literal hours of work, some of it with pretty nasty chemicals. Also the bit you polish will no longer have a UV filter so it'll start yellowing, and it'll also be thinner and weaker, which you don't really want in something that's protecting your sight.

That's what i was afraid of. Thanks for the confirm.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ktm 690 SMC! Or a Husqvarna 701!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I can't imagine anyone getting on an FZ6 and imagining it's too sporty. Was it one of the newer year models? I've ridden a couple and have not been impressed in the least, but they're pretty reliable bikes at least.

Hmm cycle ergos shows the fit is nearly the same between my FZ1 stock and the last gen FZ6. I guess this is why I swapped the bars on mine :haw:

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 29, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'll pay to have sport/sm tires mounted. I do my own dirt tires.
Local shop charged 43.50 for my sm wheels, they'd charge an extra 20 for the dirt set. Both reasonable IMO.

delo400/rotella in everything. The sloppy lovely tired old engines I usually destroy are fond of drinking it up till the end.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Did all the diesel oils switch from 10w40 to 15w40 in the last few years? I can't seem to find 10w40 outside of Energy Saving and motorcycle specific blends anymore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
T6 syn is 10w40, it has p much always been 15-40. I think you can get some in the 5-40 variant too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Ktm 690 SMC! Or a Husqvarna 701!

Looks like the 701 was confirmed for the US, arriving in February.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-husqvarna-701-supermoto-usa/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Triumph Tiger

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

captainOrbital posted:

Looks like the 701 was confirmed for the US, arriving in February.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-husqvarna-701-supermoto-usa/

Do I REALLY need both kidneys?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Do I REALLY need both kidneys?

NOPE.

Just your liver.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

NOPE.

Just your liver.

They can cut your liver in half though, for donation. So he really doesn't need all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cycle-ergo.com is pretty awesome for ergo shopping. Goon project, too.