Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm genuinely curious what's the appeal here for the RLM games series? It just seems like a widely out-of-medium viewing experience that no one posts they enjoyed it, and neither to they half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jimbot posted:

The intro kind of sets the tone of the game too. Calling it tone-deaf is off the mark because it's not making light of something sensitive. There's some dark stuff going on in the intro and there is weird stuff going on too. So logically one would think that the game's story beats contain dark and weird things. Of all the bad poo poo Kojima writes, that intro isn't one of them. The doctor even says that you might hallucinate because you have a piece of metal stuck in your brain, so it wasn't completely out of left field to believe that you're character was making up this weird poo poo because something crazy was going on in the hospital.

If anything PeaceWalker and MGSV do a really good job with a bunch of subjects if you poke at the tapes. Seeing "This is insensitive" coming from all places RLM is a hoot. Jack And Rich are to videogames to what Nostalgia Critic is to movies.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 27, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Robert Denby posted:

I'm in a graduate program about film preservation and archiving, but I also know a lot about filmmaking and "Lawrence of Arabia" is one I read everything I could about at one point so that knowledge has stuck around.

Since I live near NYC, as often as I can I try to see interesting repertory films on the big screen because of just how different that can be from watching something at home, even on a good TV and sound set-up. Having seen "Lawrence" on a big screen, then shortly thereafter on Blu-Ray I will say that it's something of a different experience. On a big screen those sweeping vistas really come alive, and the sharpness of the 70mm image gives it a visceral 'you are there' feeling. On Blu-Ray some of that is lost, but you get to focus more on the performances and drama, which definitely hold the film together. I think it holds up better on a TV than say "2001", where the point of seeing it on a big screen -and especially in 70mm- is that it basically engulfs you into the movie's weird, trippy headspace (even when stone-cold sober), and gives you a much greater awareness of the environments and the staggering amount of detail that went into the design.

That's fantastic! I'm going to do that annoying thing where I say "oh, I've always been interested in that" but I don't actually have any professional skill or training.
I don't live in a big city but a lot of the movie theatres here show classic movies from time to time. The only one that I've gone to see as yet was Rear Window, which I hadn't seen before, and it was a really great movie to see in cinemas. Haven't gone to see one that I've already seen before yet. I think for some of them it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. The Lion in Winter is so dull-looking, scenes of Eleanor arriving on her boat aside, that I think seeing it on a large scale wouldn't add much. But for every Lion in Winter, there's dozens of other films that were really made to take advantage of the screen real estate.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Asuron posted:

How is that opening scene a high point in any sense? You crawl through the level at an agonising pace while watching a bunch of cutscenes where civilians get mowed down repeatedly for an hour and get maybe 5 minutes where actual important stuff happens.

I've never played Metal Gear outside of the start of 2, but MGSV look cool enough that I was willing to try again and I nearly just stopped playing MGSV because of how horrendously long that prologue went on for. It took one hour to get out of a hospital and you spend very little of that hour actually doing anything other than watch cutscenes that could've been condensed into 10 minutes and have the same effect. There is no justifiable reason the prologue should've went on that long, because very little of importance actually happened in it.

Jimbot posted:

Some people just don't get certain games.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kunster posted:

I apologize, the post was about Undertale, and MGSV talk got in the middle of the way :<

Fair enough, my mistake.

Pretty sure I like the game as I'm enjoying my time with it. The prologue is just really lovely. KH2's prologue was also needlessly long and lovely, but I enjoyed the rest of the game despite that.

Not enjoying bad parts of a game doesn't mean you don't get it. For what it's worth I enjoyed the start and end of the prologue, because cool and interesting stuff actually happens in those parts. Everything happening between those points basically being a huge waste of time is the problem and nearly turned me off what is turning out to be a really good game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
AIDS Moby has made many powerful enemies this day.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

AIDS Moby has made many powerful enemies this day.

hahahaha

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tae posted:

I'm genuinely curious what's the appeal here for the RLM games series? It just seems like a widely out-of-medium viewing experience that no one posts they enjoyed it, and neither to they half the time.

It's funny when they play old games and don't understand them. Jack hosed around in Spelunker for an hour, dying endlessly, because he assumed the ghost couldn't be harmed, like in Spelunky. The ones with Mike and Jessie are good too because they don't give a gently caress about video games

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Tae posted:

The actual proper videos where they discuss video games suck, because they're not good at analyzing video games beyond the most basic level and they get hung up on things like genre way too much.

Most of the streams are pretty mediocre, but the streams where Jay, Jessi, or Mike are on are sometimes interesting because then you get to hear about behind-the-scenes stuff and they don't really care about video games beyond what they have nostalgia for. The stream where Rich, Jack, Jay, and Jessi play Power Stone was pretty good, and the one where Jessi is a boss at Katamari was good too.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Is Jessi even still with RLM, because I haven't seen her in anything for ages. Even when she didn't appear in the discussion you would still see her watching the movies with the rest of them, but she's not even in those lately.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Tae posted:

Honestly, "Half in the Bag, but for video games" isn't that bad of a selling point. Half in the Bag stands apart from other internet movie review shows because it avoids a lot of the awful bullshit. Internet video game review shows have about 100x as much awful bullshit, plus a #GamerGate. It's just that for whatever reason, Rich and Jack aren't quite able to get a handle on the stuff they're reviewing. It did take them a good ten minutes of talking about the game, in edited video time, to realize they were playing as the bad guy. Even after Rich mentioned Big Boss was the villain of the first two games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The weird thing with Rich and Jack is that they're weirdly inconsistent. After their Bloodborne review, they got suggested La-Mulana pretty often by folks on the stream, but when Jack got it, he complained about things they praised about Bloodborne, like the nature of the exploration, the no overarching goal, that sort of thing. It's just weird.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The weird thing with Rich and Jack is that they're weirdly inconsistent. After their Bloodborne review, they got suggested La-Mulana pretty often by folks on the stream, but when Jack got it, he complained about things they praised about Bloodborne, like the nature of the exploration, the no overarching goal, that sort of thing. It's just weird.

la-mulana is bad, whereas bloodborne is good. there, i explained the discrepancy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, you're right, La-Mulana is better than Bloodborne.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Not going into how they execute on it, but outsider perspectives on art in any medium are interesting. The idea of looking at games through the lens of people who are more versed in films is, to me, infinitely more interesting than hearing from the hundreds of people like The Perpetually Screaming Gamer or The Nerd Who Can Only Process Things Through A Lens Of Ironic Detachment.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jack Gladney posted:

It's funny when they play old games and don't understand them. Jack hosed around in Spelunker for an hour, dying endlessly, because he assumed the ghost couldn't be harmed, like in Spelunky. The ones with Mike and Jessie are good too because they don't give a gently caress about video games
Or Fallout NV where Jack thought that you had to use VATS for every combat encounter and disregarded talking to characters which is pretty loving vital in playing Fallout NV

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ElNarez posted:

Not going into how they execute on it, but outsider perspectives on art in any medium are interesting. The idea of looking at games through the lens of people who are more versed in films is, to me, infinitely more interesting than hearing from the hundreds of people like The Perpetually Screaming Gamer or The Nerd Who Can Only Process Things Through A Lens Of Ironic Detachment.

That's why I like them too in an odd way. They're kind out of the usual demographic by a decade or so and while they do enjoy videogames they miss things and like you said in your last but they're not being ~ironically~ terrible or the worst thing ever (DSP). They just don't get it sometimes and it never feels malicious or put on, they just simply don't understand.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Did...anyone still want more food reviews? Because I did a review of chocolate gaytime, in which I atone for my bad American accent in the last ice cream review, by doing an Australian one instead.

Sadly, the ice-cream was :mediocre:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

Did...anyone still want more food reviews? Because I did a review of chocolate gaytime, in which I atone for my bad American accent in the last ice cream review, by doing an Australian one instead.

Sadly, the ice-cream was :mediocre:

That was funny, love your food reviews.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Asuron posted:

It took one hour to get out of a hospital and you spend very little of that hour actually doing anything other than watch cutscenes that could've been condensed into 10 minutes and have the same effect.

Sounds like MGS in a nutshell to me. If you don't like overly long cutscenes it ain't the series for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fans posted:

Sounds like MGS in a nutshell to me. If you don't like overly long cutscenes it ain't the series for you.

If you don't like overly long cutscenes MGS5 is definitely for you. The prologue is very much the exception to the rule here.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Andrast posted:

If you don't like overly long cutscenes MGS5 is definitely for you. The prologue is very much the exception to the rule here.

Can you skip it?

I mean I'll stop watching a movie if it's bad for the first half hour. A full hour before the game actually starts can gently caress right off.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Fans posted:

Can you skip it?

I mean I'll stop watching a movie if it's bad for the first half hour. A full hour before the game actually starts can gently caress right off.

If you really want to then yes you can skip any cutscene you want, heretic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A big complaint about mgsv is that there are very few cutscenes, and most plot is given to you via cassette tapes you can play at any moment.
But yeah when there are cutscenes they are kinda long (shut uuuup skull face)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think Kojima ever figured out the proper length for cutscenes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One point I really liked in the MGSV review was Jack talking about Quiet since I felt the same way too. She really did have your back and you did bond with her over that but the poo poo they focused on with her really was exploitative. The kind of poo poo you turn off your TV so people who don't play games won't see what you're playing out of embarrassment. People have been arguing that she does get normal clothes later on and she does but it's at the end of the game and a mission or so later she leaves the game for good.

I had to stop using her at one point because she makes the game a lot easier and you start getting lazier with your play-style. She's great for when you're roaming around, though and want to collect stuff, doing side-ops or take over guard posts.

D-Dog is still best and he just looks so drat happy to be on the helicopter with you. So adorable.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

I bought the Piggyback Collectors Guide and it includes an art section with some commentary from Kojima and he stated that the whole prologue section, in how linear it was, was in homage to the previous games. The cutscene - heavy aspect of it also fits pretty well with that description.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

They were 100% on point as far as The Banner Saga goes.

And Alien: Isolation. How anyone found that remotely tense or interesting is beyond me.

Edit: why/where did my phone invent 'Isloation' from

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 28, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

JB50 posted:

That was funny, love your food reviews.

Thanks! Glad to hear it. It's just nice for me to do something once in a while that takes an hour to make instead of two weeks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MisterBibs posted:

And Alien: Isolation. How anyone found that remotely tense or interesting is beyond me.

Edit: why/where did my phone invent 'Isloation' from

I loved how the ship looked in Alien:Isolation but the Joe's were actually scarier than the aliens. Mainly because once you got the flamethrower the alien was more like a big spider you had to shoo away, while the Working Joe's just came at you on fire telling you that you're still not meant to be there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Asuron posted:

Is Jessi even still with RLM, because I haven't seen her in anything for ages.

According to some of the folks on their reddit page, she's been on some of the PreRec streams saying that there's no reason she hasn't been on the show, she just hasn't. I want to say they have a "If you're not on screen you're filming" thing going on, too. It'd be kinda sad if she and Mike broke up :smith:.

That must one of the awkward things about being an Online Internet Reviewer is that it's such a part of your life that you wind up including them in your work, which your audience will notice if they suddenly vanish. There's a level of intrusion that's kinda weird. (This comment is based 50% on what you mentioned, and 50% of realizing Brad has a new girlfriend based on cleaning out my Cinema Snob backlog)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 29, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So Lupa, since you know one group of British lads reviewing wrestling, have you heard of next gen podcast review of Baywatch and thunder in paradies that both feature everyone's favorite racist hotdog man, Hulk Hogan?

Cyron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 29, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

That must one of the awkward things about being an Online Internet Reviewer is that it's such a part of your life that you wind up including them in your work, which your audience will notice if they suddenly vanish. There's a level of intrusion that's kinda weird. (This comment is based 50% on what you mentioned, and 50% of realizing Brad has a new girlfriend based on cleaning out my Cinema Snob backlog)

Pretty much the best thing in the world is when you get randomly dumped by a person prominently featured in a video that you're in the middle of editing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
There's at least a couple of people featured in my earlier videos with whom I had a relatively messy and involved falling-out. So it's been "interesting' revisiting those videos when re-uploading old episodes to Youtube post blipocalypse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

Pretty much the best thing in the world is when you get randomly dumped by a person prominently featured in a video that you're in the middle of editing.

Unless your name is Jordan Owen or Davis Aurini, in which case it's loving hilarious :v:

EDIT: Speaking of those two dickheads, We Hunted the Mammoth recently published a pretty damning list of actual professional movies that cost less to make than The Sarkeesian Effect. Included among the list are things like: Clerks, Paranormal Activity, Eraserhead, and El Mariachi.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Cyron posted:

So Lupa, since you know one group of British lads reviewing wrestling, have you heard of next gen podcast review of Baywatch and thunder in paradies that both feature everyone's favorite racist hotdog man, Hulk Hogan?

Heard of it, haven't seen it. Bet it's great!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

Heard of it, haven't seen it. Bet it's great!

Oh my god, Lupa, they're loving amazing movies. I did a Bad Movie Night the other week with a bunch of my friends and we watched Thunder in Paradise and it was like a work of terrible art. If anyone's interested in watching some amazeballs bad made for TV 90's movies, definitely check out the Thunder in Paradise series and films.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 29, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's at least a couple of people featured in my earlier videos with whom I had a relatively messy and involved falling-out. So it's been "interesting' revisiting those videos when re-uploading old episodes to Youtube post blipocalypse.

Now I'm just imagining one of your alternate personas getting completely fed up and leaving.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Paladin posted:

Now I'm just imagining one of your alternate personas getting completely fed up and leaving.

Haha, yes, it really is just mostly me for the vast majority of the time. What can I say - I'm someone who really likes working alone! It's just easier than coordinating with other people.
I only really have one alternate persona though. Well, there were a few characters that showed up once, but were never seen again. So maybe they're the ones who got fed up and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh my god, Lupa, they're loving amazing movies. I did a Bad Movie Night the other week with a bunch of my friends and we watched Thunder in Paradise and it was like a work of terrible art. If anyone's interested in watching some amazeballs bad made for TV 90's movies, definitely check out the Thunder in Paradise series and films.

Oh, Lupa knows plenty about Thunder in Paradise having reviewed a couple of the "movie" episodes with Phelous not too long ago.

• Locked thread