Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Sylvan Scrying reprint is also convenient, for the decks that run it.

Has there be word on how devoid affects stuff like Eldrazi tribal decks? I'd think the spirit of the rules would let you run it, though I have no idea how that would affect the mana base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Color identity is separate from color of the card. Devoid won't let you run any of those cards in a colorless edh deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Aranan posted:

Color identity is separate from color of the card. Devoid won't let you run any of those cards in a colorless edh deck.

Meh, I totally get the reasoning but that seems dumb when they go out of their way to make the cards colorless anyway. Oh well.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

bhsman posted:

Meh, I totally get the reasoning but that seems dumb when they go out of their way to make the cards colorless anyway. Oh well.

Even if you decided to allow it, because your general is colorless any colored mana that would enter your mana pool becomes colorless, so you could never cast the devoid spells anyway.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aranan posted:

Tabak confirmed it: Devoid does not affect color identity, so normal rules apply.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Olothreutes posted:

Even if you decided to allow it, because your general is colorless any colored mana that would enter your mana pool becomes colorless, so you could never cast the devoid spells anyway.

No, I get all that, I guess it's just something I would let people homerule that away to make more sense.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

bhsman posted:

No, I get all that, I guess it's just something I would let people homerule that away to make more sense.

People running Eldrazi commanders are pretty horrible anyway.

Seriously though, colorless Commander decks are already getting a ton of new toys in this set.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eh, I wouldn't really say a ton. Most of them are horrifically overcosted for what you get out of them, or are better in colored decks.

Colorless EDH decks are still worse than any other option, if you're looking solely at power level. Overcosted commanders, very sparse removal, huge vulnerability to artifact sweepers, having to pay extra mana for literally everything you do.

Fun, though.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
So I went right ahead and built my GAAIV deck, here it is as it stands now. I've got a Venser, the Sojourner and Narset Transcendent on the way - I'll try to fit in Venser first, at least.

Deck: Augustin EDH - Be 'That Guy' At The Table

//Land (35)
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Arcane Lighthouse
1 Blinkmoth Well
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Command Tower
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Flooded Strand
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Halimar Depths
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 High Market
8 Island
1 Kor Haven
1 Marsh Flats
1 Nimbus Maze
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
8 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Skycloud Expanse
1 Strip Mine
1 Windswept Heath

//Ramp & Cost Reduction
1 Azorius Signet
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Mind Stone
1 Pearl Medallion
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Sol Ring
1 Talisman of Progress

//Wincons
1 Aura Thief
1 Cleansing Meditation
1 Enchanted Evening
1 Knowledge Pool
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

//Permanent Locking
1 Rising Waters
1 Static Orb
1 Winter Orb

//Spell & Upkeep Tax
1 Angel of Jubilation
1 Aura of Silence
1 Sphere of Resistance
1 Thorn of Amethyst

//Combat Tax
1 Archangel of Tithes
1 Collective Restraint
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Propaganda

//Other Control
1 Cursed Totem
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Frozen Ęther
1 Kismet
1 Nevermore

//Counterspells
1 Arcane Denial
1 Counterspell
1 Dissipate
1 Forbid
1 Misdirection
1 Negate
1 Render Silent
1 Swan Song
1 Swift Silence
1 Trickbind

//Removal
1 Austere Command
1 Catastrophe
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Detention Sphere
1 Disenchant
1 Path to Exile
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Terminus

//Draw, Tutor & Deck Manipulation
1 Academy Rector
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Fabricate
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Long-Term Plans
1 Mystic Remora
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Rhystic Study
1 Sphinx's Revelation

//Toolbox
1 Clever Impersonator
1 Leyline of Anticipation
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Sun Titan
1 Temporal Mastery
1 Tezzeret the Seeker

//Sideboard
1 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

Display deck statistics

Also, here's all the viable cards I have/can easily get for this deck, sorted in the same way. Anything stupid powerful that I missed (and won't cost me much)?

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 25, 2015

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This deck will work incredibly well, if by "work" you mean "make everyone want to cockpunch you".

35 lands and 7 mana rocks is a bit light, even with a cost decreasing commander.. Long Term Plans isn't great. Also, I see how Knowledge Pool is a win with Teferi, but that's about all it's really good for. In a 100 card deck you shouldn't run one card that only comboes with one other card. As for stuff to add, maybe one or two flavors of Jace and Elsbeth.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Gynovore posted:

This deck will work incredibly well, if by "work" you mean "make everyone want to cockpunch you".

35 lands and 7 mana rocks is a bit light, even with a cost decreasing commander.. Long Term Plans isn't great. Also, I see how Knowledge Pool is a win with Teferi, but that's about all it's really good for. In a 100 card deck you shouldn't run one card that only comboes with one other card. As for stuff to add, maybe one or two flavors of Jace and Elsbeth.

It's a meta call, there are some pretty repressive decks where I play. I don't plan on using this against someone's basically new precon or whatever.

I think my land count is fine, but I guess I could use some more ramp. I like Long-Term Plans because the deck has pretty good draw power and it's the only unconditional tutor in the colours. As for KP/Teferi, you could say nearly the same about Enchanted Evening + Aura Thief/Cleansing Meditiation - two cards that only combo with one other isn't much better either, and at least Teferi is useful by himself, unlike all the other combo pieces. Generally, if any pop up in my hand I'll hold them until I have both, then drop them all at once. I do have a Sun's Champion, and I'll look into an Architect of Thought or something.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

You can probably cut collective restraint from the deck and never notice it. It's the weakest of the combat tax cards and having one is often enough of a deterrent that the next few aren't really that much worse for anyone. I'm amazed that you aren't running a tangle wire, that card is insane. You could also consider an Academy Ruins to recur some of you artifacts, winter orb and whatnot are often going to end up in a graveyard. I'm a big fan of Iona and Linvala because they make life awful for people despite Iona costing a billion mana. I would also consider including ensnaring bridge, it isn't hard to control your hand size and this lets you keep all kinds of dudes away. Also, no stasis?

I run a lot more hatebears than you do, it looks like you want to do the "combo out or bust" plan, but you might find that with a few dudes in the air you can push through a surprising amount of damage. Hushwing Gryff, aven mindcensor, and I run Kira to make getting rid of dudes just that much harder.

Karn and Tamiyo are both planeswalkers that you could consider, Tammy plays well with control and lets you lock down trouble cards until you have an answer, and Karn is just an answer to basically anything.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 25, 2015

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Olothreutes posted:

You can probably cut collective restraint from the deck and never notice it. It's the weakest of the combat tax cards and having one is often enough of a deterrent that the next few aren't really that much worse for anyone. I'm amazed that you aren't running a tangle wire, that card is insane. You could also consider an Academy Ruins to recur some of you artifacts, winter orb and whatnot are often going to end up in a graveyard. I'm a big fan of Iona and Linvala because they make life awful for people despite Iona costing a billion mana. I would also consider including ensnaring bridge, it isn't hard to control your hand size and this lets you keep all kinds of dudes away. Also, no stasis?

I run a lot more hatebears than you do, it looks like you want to do the "combo out or bust" plan, but you might find that with a few dudes in the air you can push through a surprising amount of damage. Hushwing Gryff, aven mindcensor, and I run Kira to make getting rid of dudes just that much harder.

Karn and Tamiyo are both planeswalkers that you could consider, Tammy plays well with control and lets you lock down trouble cards until you have an answer, and Karn is just an answer to basically anything.

This is good advice, thanks! First - I have no idea how in God's name I forgot Academy Ruins in this deck, that his goes right in. No Iona and Linvala were down to price (though I think Iona is a bit cheaper now with FtV: Angels?); I have Cursed Totem standing in for Linvala, I'll swap them if I get her. Ensaring Bridge is cool, I was just worried about screwing over my own attacking. You're probably right about Collective Restraint, I just wasn't sure how many attack-taxing cards I needed. I'm also considering Sphere of Safety, only because it protects planeswalkers too, and I'm gonna have five or six in the next version.

Hatebears are also a nice idea, especially Hushwing Gryff, Mindcensor is an add if I get the money, and I do have a Kira kicking around. Again, the only thing stopping me getting Karn and Tammy is cost. Tammy especially is something I knew would work wonderfully very early, but had to put on hold.

I always figured Tangle Wire for a 1v1 card, I have one that would go right in if I reworked the deck for French rules (and I plan on having it ready to switch between). I guess Winter Orb and such make it much better than normal. Also, I'll be honest, I don't know how to use Stasis in my favour. Orb and stuff are easy, because the deck is generally cheap and I get discounts so I only need one or two untaps at a time, but I'm not sure how Stasis helps. Am I missing something?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Coucho Marx posted:

This is good advice, thanks! First - I have no idea how in God's name I forgot Academy Ruins in this deck, that his goes right in. No Iona and Linvala were down to price (though I think Iona is a bit cheaper now with FtV: Angels?); I have Cursed Totem standing in for Linvala, I'll swap them if I get her. Ensaring Bridge is cool, I was just worried about screwing over my own attacking. You're probably right about Collective Restraint, I just wasn't sure how many attack-taxing cards I needed. I'm also considering Sphere of Safety, only because it protects planeswalkers too, and I'm gonna have five or six in the next version.

Hatebears are also a nice idea, especially Hushwing Gryff, Mindcensor is an add if I get the money, and I do have a Kira kicking around. Again, the only thing stopping me getting Karn and Tammy is cost. Tammy especially is something I knew would work wonderfully very early, but had to put on hold.

I always figured Tangle Wire for a 1v1 card, I have one that would go right in if I reworked the deck for French rules (and I plan on having it ready to switch between). I guess Winter Orb and such make it much better than normal. Also, I'll be honest, I don't know how to use Stasis in my favour. Orb and stuff are easy, because the deck is generally cheap and I get discounts so I only need one or two untaps at a time, but I'm not sure how Stasis helps. Am I missing something?

Tangle wire is just fantastic in general. It's going to lock everyone out of however many permanents except you. I'll assume you know the trick but for those that don't you stack the triggers on your upkeep as the tap trigger first and the fade counter second. That way you remove a counter then tap some stuff. This means you tap one less and you can tap the tangle wire every time as well. You can recur it with academy ruins and sun titan, too.

The stasis plan requires a little setup to work, but is totally bonkers when it works. You almost always want a kismet effect in the table when you play stasis. You also want one of a few things in play, either a way to skip turns for maximum dick move, a way to reliably bounce stasis back to your hand at the end of your opponents turn, or a way to recur it from the graveyard when you fail to pay the upkeep like sun titan attack triggers. The bounce plan is probably the best, by far. I run chronatog so I can skip turns forever and just deck everyone out/draw the game if they have an Eldrazi titan but this is a pretty bad plan considering that the 'tog is dead if I'm not comboing out. You probably want something that says "U tap: bounce target thing." That gives you utility even without stasis on the board and gives you an untap step when no one else is getting one.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Yeah, I know the Tangle Wire trick, works with Smokestack too! I'll pop it in and see how it runs.

Stasis makes more sense now, I'd have to run extra stuff to make it work. I might hold off on it for a while, see how other changes get me murdered in a dark alleyway work out.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Coucho Marx posted:

Yeah, I know the Tangle Wire trick, works with Smokestack too! I'll pop it in and see how it runs.

Stasis makes more sense now, I'd have to run extra stuff to make it work. I might hold off on it for a while, see how other changes get me murdered in a dark alleyway work out.

Dovescape goes well with Elesh. Since you have attack taxes the doves don't super hurt you, but makes for a political game for other players.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My favorite non-super-oppressive U combo in EDH is Vensur, Shaper Savant + Riptide Laboratory. You should run that.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

OssiansFolly posted:

Dovescape goes well with Elesh. Since you have attack taxes the doves don't super hurt you, but makes for a political game for other players.

Well, if I run Dovescape with Elesh, I could run Guile as well as another wincon.

AlternateNu posted:

My favorite non-super-oppressive U combo in EDH is Vensur, Shaper Savant + Riptide Laboratory. You should run that.

Venser would go in for a counterspell if I get a hold of one even without Riptide, so that's a pretty cool little trick too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I pulled basically every big eldrazi at the prerelease, how are eldrazi EDH decks? Worth trying, or stick with standard?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kilo147 posted:

I pulled basically every big eldrazi at the prerelease, how are eldrazi EDH decks? Worth trying, or stick with standard?

They suck poo poo.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

They suck poo poo.

Counterpoint is to put all the big eldrazi into your colored deck, and smash dicks.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

As a Commander they're universally bad, but they can be good otherwise.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I also pulled many big Eldrazi (no Ulamog though)
My next project is a Mimeoplasm Eldrazi deck.
The results of the alpha build haven't been promising so far.
I'm not so much going for raw power as much as theme, and it'll be fine once I work on it a little more I'm sure.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Animar gets the most toys to play with, since colorless critters essentially become free.

Not a whole lot to do with them, though, at this point. They're not really Commander amazing, and nothing I'd usually want to trade another creature out of an Animar deck for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For the most part, Eldrazi are just lame. They are harder to reanimate, harder to tutor for, and, for the most part, don't do substantially better than the average cheat target.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Since you all don't use them you should send them to me so I don't have to shell out 15 bucks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Animar even looks like an Eldrazi, if you think about it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Most of them having cast triggers and few other abilities makes them kind of suck given their high cost. Certain ones like It That Betrays can be good in the right kind of deck, and having one of the titans as a graveyard recursion option can be okay if you don't like Gaea's Blessing, but that's about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Truly, the only real eldrazi to run is Spawnsire. Getting 20 mana is trivial and you don't have to run other bad eldrazi in the deck proper.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was curious how wishes and Spawnsire would work in Commander, so I poked around the rules page and they actually have a ruling specifically for these cards.

mtgcommander.net posted:

15. Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup.

Seems kind of lame, honestly. Just have a sideboard as a part of the normal Commander deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Sensei's Divining Top is now banned in French EDH (Also the Partial Paris Mulligan was replaced by the Vancouver Mulligan which is mildly annoying). I've two decks (Keranos control and Nekusar) that now need a new card to replace it, and am stumped for general ideas. Just throw in Crystal Ball and call it a day?

Aranan posted:

I was curious how wishes and Spawnsire would work in Commander, so I poked around the rules page and they actually have a ruling specifically for these cards.

Seems kind of lame, honestly. Just have a sideboard as a part of the normal Commander deck.

There's an optional rule somewhere on there that says you can have a 10 card sideboard. Most people in my playgroup allow me to run a Living Wish w/sideboard (The wishboard is 9 assorted non-combo-piece 5-10cost fatties that do something or other and a cabal coffers, in a jund ramp deck), and if someone random does disagree, I just swap the Wish for a Wilderness Elemental or something.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 29, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archenteron posted:

Sensei's Divining Top is now banned in French EDH (Also the Partial Paris Mulligan was replaced by the Vancouver Mulligan which is mildly annoying). I've two decks (Keranos control and Nekusar) that now need a new card to replace it, and am stumped for general ideas. Just throw in Crystal Ball and call it a day?

Thassa
Soothsaying
Elemental Augury

Also, EDH Wishboards are lame dwi.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Made some changes to my GAAIV list.

Out:
Plains
Collective Restraint
Cursed Totem
Leyline of Anticipation
Temporal Mastery

In:
Academy Ruins
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Mana Vault
Prismatic Lens
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

More ramp, swapped an artifact for a body that does the same thing, and put in one of the better planeswalkers for the deck.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Updated my Marchesa list on TappedOut: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-affinity/

I'm looking to find options to let me get Marchesa down a touch earlier, anything else that'd make it a little more consistent, or any cute cards or interactions that I might've missed.

The deck abuses Modular counters, sac outlets, and eventually Time Sieve, to create overwhelming advantage on board, and to secure the victory.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't play EDH. I'm a limited spike. I want to build an extremely aggressive fun-killing deck to stomp on people in 1v1 who are trying to do Timmy/Johnny EDH things when they beg me to play. I was thinking maybe Isamaru? or Zurgo Bellstriker? A friend of mine has a Purphoros deck that I like, but I don't want to go down the same road. Basically, I want to be able to finish very fast without doing anything ridiculously overcomplicated. I also don't want to spend a lot. I've got an absolute ton of trade fodder, and have basically everything since innistrad block, including one of each of the 2013 and 2014 commander decks. Any decent lists to start with? I'm not playing French rules or anything, but I'm not really interested in playing multiplayer games.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 29, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Get the gently caress out.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

:ironicat:

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Love you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Shovelmint posted:

Love you too.

:frogout:

I'm sick of playing Krenko, so I'm killing his deck. I've also ran Norin,Daretti,and Feldon decks in the past. Any recommendations on a fun deck that could take advantage of all of my goblin cards that will play out in a way other than just "drop gobbos hope to win"?