Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The hopping ones get weird when there's any sort of obstruction between them and you. Instead of simply landing near the obstruction at their normal jump range, they launch themselves clear across the room at top speed. It's hard to avoid that, but you should be ok as long as you stay moving tangentially to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Actually managed to finish my first ever run as The Lost; all the way through and finished The Chest. Although I got super lucky, managed somehow to get TWO dead cats, Guppy's Collar, and Guppy's Tail which gave me a whole lot of lives. As I got to ???, I was on my very last chance. Just the other route to get massively lucky on, then the boss rush...

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

de la peche posted:

Actually managed to finish my first ever run as The Lost; all the way through and finished The Chest. Although I got super lucky, managed somehow to get TWO dead cats, Guppy's Collar, and Guppy's Tail which gave me a whole lot of lives. As I got to ???, I was on my very last chance. Just the other route to get massively lucky on, then the boss rush...

i actually found boss rush a lot easier than doing the dark room.

dark room, i had gnawed leaf and moms toe, and just had to sit that in a corner letting mom's foot come down periodically to stomp the lamb.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

de la peche posted:

I also had two dead cats AND a one-up when I beat the boss rush with the Lost, I think it's the only time I ever had 19 lives... still burned down to one or two beating ??? so it was surprisingly tense.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Boss Rush isn't so bad because you can duck over rocks to avoid almost everything. The only things really threatening are Bloat's, Fallen's and Monstro 2's lasers and Death's scythes

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
And red poops. Hate red poop so much.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Anchors posted:

And red poops. Hate red poop so much.

Red poops gently caress up my boss rushes because I always run into them. This may or may not be related to me being bad at this game.

Red poops are second only to spiders because gently caress spiders.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Alright so I grabbed the Godhead mod. Started a new save slot, first run with Isaac (who gets renamed by the mod) and everything went swimmingly, then the game crashed when I went into an angel room.

Game has never crashed on me before.

The mod comes with a challenge run, GOD MODE, I did that and noticed an annoying pattern: the modder made things "harder" by giving everything lots more health. And a few amazingly annoying enemies that are invincible half the time (or have SUPER high health with no health bar) and you can't tell when.

The mod does change up item rooms & store rooms in unique ways (trade keys for extra items) but some bosses are probably impossibly difficult without flight.

It annoys me how much of a deciding factor Flight is. Get flight and you get tons of extra items, invincible to ground acid/thorns. Kinda unbalanced.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Surprise: Modders have even less of a clue how to balance this game than the one who's literal job it is, Edmund.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Pyromaniac + Kamikaze is kind of silly.

If you get bomb changers, do they effect Kamikaze?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Challenges in the Savior Mod are pretty interesting. I start one, see a triple Sacrifice Dagger orbitals plus a knife... with Tiny Planet. Then I realize I'm playing as The Lost equivalent. With the Unicorn Horn and Holy Mantle. I found Unicorn Stomp in the boss rush, nabbed it and ran, it was a cakewalk from there. If only I could get Midas Touch too :v:

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I added the Savior mod on top of God mode for more fun :V

I really like how the mods add more opportunities to buy things, and more $, this lets you customize your build & that is super cool. I love the guppy. Love it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I ended up biting the bullet and removing the scaling enemy health from God Mode. I already went from a blank save to RPG on version 2.0 which had even higher health scaling than the current version so I don't feel too bad about it.

Most of the time the extra health isn't so bad but the challenges (of which only one has shops and only one has item rooms) are tedious as hell with it. Clearing the end bosses with The Lost when every one takes 100+ brimstone shots is also a huge pain in the rear end.

One interesting thing about removing the health scaling using the included files for it is that it makes The Fallen and The Adversary invisible for some reason.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Jibo posted:

I ended up biting the bullet and removing the scaling enemy health from God Mode. I already went from a blank save to RPG on version 2.0 which had even higher health scaling than the current version so I don't feel too bad about it.

Most of the time the extra health isn't so bad but the challenges (of which only one has shops and only one has item rooms) are tedious as hell with it. Clearing the end bosses with The Lost when every one takes 100+ brimstone shots is also a huge pain in the rear end.

One interesting thing about removing the health scaling using the included files for it is that it makes The Fallen and The Adversary invisible for some reason.
All you did was trade one circle of hell for another. Invisible double Adversaries? :suicide:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Turns out the most frustrating way to die as the Lost is to have the dark bum drop a spider on you.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Turns out the most frustrating way to die as the Lost is to have the dark bum drop a spider on you.

Lesson learned, don't pick things that can't possibly give you anything of value.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I actually got through one of my Lost unlocks with a crapload of useless stuff though, found a D4 and rerolled until I had huge damage and an army of familiars

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

omeg posted:

Lesson learned, don't pick things that can't possibly give you anything of value.

To be fair he might have had Curse of the Blind.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BreakAtmo posted:

To be fair he might have had Curse of the Blind.

Bingo.

On a unrelated but more positive note I finally worked out the difference between the bedroom and the dirty bedroom.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

omeg posted:

Dark Bum can give The Lost things of value since he can drop blue spiders

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All I have left to collect is the secret room items, which I haven't found a single one in 140 hours of play time. And Steven. :smithicide:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Mr Phillby posted:

Bingo.

On a unrelated but more positive note I finally worked out the difference between the bedroom and the dirty bedroom.

I am so upset right now

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dark Bum can give The Lost things of value since he can drop blue spiders

True, forgot about those. Still too risky to bother though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I agree but it's something to keep in mind

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
An iron chest with a golden chest inside with an even smaller golden chest inside.

Never seem it go 3 layers deep before.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
In 1000+ hours of this game, I only just saw that for the first time last week. I got a screenshot but am too lazy to dig it up.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sanctum posted:

An iron chest with a golden chest inside with an even smaller golden chest inside.

Never seem it go 3 layers deep before.

I found this once:

golden chest in a grey chest in a golden chest in a grey chest

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Panniculus Rift posted:

I found this once:

golden chest in a grey chest in a golden chest in a grey chest

Or, "How many keys did you say you had? :smug:"

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I can imagine someone using a bomb to reach an iron chest and then burning through 2 keys on golden chests only to get half a red heart from it. :smith:

As far as unlucky goes, I had one game where my boss payouts had no stat upgrades, orbitals/familiars, or even HP from every boss in that run.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Too late to do item wishlists for Afterbirth, but I still want an item that lets me blast open locked doors and chests with bombs.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

IMJack posted:

Too late to do item wishlists for Afterbirth, but I still want an item that lets me blast open locked doors and chests with bombs.

Yeah I also thought of this. Call it like the "Shaped Charge" or C4 or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only Kamikaze could do that, then it'd be at least marginally useful.

edit: who am i kidding i'd still never ever pick it up

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You know when you have like a ton of extra red hearts left on the floor in the first two floors and you still haven't found the secret rooms yet? That's when Kamikaze is good. Also if you have Pyromaniac.

I'll honestly take it over like half the spacebar items in the game.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Kamikaze with Pyromaniac is loving hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Sounds like someone never got Kamikaze and Pyromaniac.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: Another very simple update:siren:

This is what I wanted stacking multi-shot items to act like from the beginning. I don't care if my fire rate is poo poo. Shotguns in games are traditionally slow-firing when you only need one shot.

ed mcmillian posted:

oh also if next monday you just see a post with a picture of a real afterbirth, then you know Danielle and i had our baby ;)

Eeeew, Ed, no

IMJack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 29, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Maybe Dr. Fetus will actually be good now

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Those all look hilarious and awesome. Can't wait to melt my laptop with some quad shot combos.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drat those new synergies look really fun

Justin_Brett posted:

Maybe Dr. Fetus will actually be good now

It'd be fine as is once if they fixed the damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Is that Epic Fetus + Loki's Horns + Ludovico Technique? :stwoon:

Manatee Cannon posted:

drat those new synergies look really fun

It'd be fine as is once if they fixed the damage

Yeah, the damage is bugged to do a lot less than it's supposed to, and Edmund claims that he fixed it. Well maybe. You never know with the updates to the game.