Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Kaboobi posted:

Keith Urban also used to be a hell of a guitarist and then he stopped all the drugs and learned he could make a shitton of money in slow pop country

Maybe he's going to use that money to buy a shitload of drugs and be a guitar virtuoso again, thus completing the cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

whypick1 posted:

Maybe he's going to use that money to buy a shitload of drugs and be a guitar virtuoso again, thus completing the cycle.

Ah, the Keith Richards stratagem.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

TrojanNemo posted:

Awesome. Thanks for what I hope is coming next...

Oh, so you meant to say for those who care about what songs are devil tiered. Couldn't you just say that?

I want to know the tiering of all songs, all instruments, regardless of what the tier is.

I guess I'm off to watch a video!

I mean, I figured the post was already long enough as is and figured simply posting the most notably challenging ones and linking the video for the rest of the setlist was a decent compromise as opposed meticulously chronicling the tiers of every song in a 65 song setlist and cluttering up the page, but you know. I'm sorry you have to sit through 2 minutes of video? :shrug:

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
It's going to take me a whole lot longer than the 2 minutes of video, but glad to know it's there. I may not need to bother people to do something for me now.

But it needs to be said that it's not all about what song is hardest. Different players have different abilities and people like me need to know them all for reasons.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
...so why is it showing which songs have freestyle solos and/or freestyle vocals on the Quickplay menu next to the big 4?

Isn't any song with guitar solo markers going to allow for the freestyle stuff, and why would any song with vocals not have freestyle in it?

There's just so much poo poo going on and design choices I don't understand. Wonder what it'll look like populated with a big library.

Kinda wish someone would show off the detail poo poo like library sorting or character creation, we kinda know what playing a song is like.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Library sorting: um, hopefully the December 8th patch adds some actual way to sort things because ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Freestyle solos: looks like this will be on a per-song basis? I'm guessing songs will have to have like, the key of the solo and stuff manually programmed in, which likely isn't included with the base song

Vocal freestyles: I think the key is already baked into the track by default so I dunno wtf

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are they shipping more than just preorders like normal games or should I go ahead and preorder to make sure I can actually get it on release?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kaboobi posted:

Library sorting: um, hopefully the December 8th patch adds some actual way to sort things because ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Look there's a search box where you can type in song names with your guitar isn't that good enough please stop asking questions

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Naming poo poo with the guitar is why I just run with whatever band name the game gives me.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Bam. Between my manual collection of metadata and then adjustments made from watching the video, I think I got all the metadata for the on-disc songs.

http://www.keepitfishy.com/rb4/rb4_setlist.pdf

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Would not have expected Birth In Reverse to have devil-tier drums, but I guess I can see it in my head and yeah that's probably right

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Would not have expected Birth In Reverse to have devil-tier drums, but I guess I can see it in my head and yeah that's probably right

I would probably have rather had Prince Johnny or Digital Witness from that record, but I'll get on board with any St. Vincent they can get.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

TrojanNemo posted:

Bam. Between my manual collection of metadata and then adjustments made from watching the video, I think I got all the metadata for the on-disc songs.

http://www.keepitfishy.com/rb4/rb4_setlist.pdf

Haha, both U2 songs are (near) bottom-tier difficulty on all instruments. :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

elf help book posted:

Look there's a search box where you can type in song names with your guitar isn't that good enough please stop asking questions

Seems like a good use for Smart Glass or whatever it's called.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Merijn posted:

Haha, both U2 songs are (near) bottom-tier difficulty on all instruments. :v:

The former bassist in my band (and the person who I generally play Rock Band with the most) generally said that she aimed for Adam Clayton-level competence.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Kaboobi posted:

Freestyle solos: looks like this will be on a per-song basis? I'm guessing songs will have to have like, the key of the solo and stuff manually programmed in, which likely isn't included with the base song

Vocal freestyles: I think the key is already baked into the track by default so I dunno wtf

Markups for guitar solos/vocal freestyle need a lot more than just the key of the song. There's a whole lot of different chord progressions that can happen within a single key - all of this has been added by a group of ridiculously talented individuals. Sometimes I even understand the words they say. It's a ton of work. Those are then used for both guitar solos and vocal freestyle.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmmm. U2, huh. I guess at some point I'll be getting this game. And by extension, possibly an XBone.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm guessing songs with freestyle support will be the 120 or so shown off in the demos

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Anything in the back catalog with a guitar solo has freestyle support.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Alakaiser posted:

Wide support for vocals too?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Alakaiser posted:

So is the indicator more meant to be "this song has a solo at all"?

Still doesn't explain the vocal one.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Alakaiser posted:

Wow, that's impressive

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

The T posted:

So is the indicator more meant to be "this song has a solo at all"?

Still doesn't explain the vocal one.

Sounds like they added data about the key and chords to as many back catalog songs as had guitar solos, which in turn is the subset of songs where that same data lets it calculate what pitches would be OK for freestyle vocals. The two sets are probaby equal, outside of freestyle vocals for all the songs in 4 and probably going forward.

Maybe.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'll check it out once I receive my kit and DLC goes up in the store, supposedly Friday or Saturday

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Sounds like they added data about the key and chords to as many back catalog songs as had guitar solos, which in turn is the subset of songs where that same data lets it calculate what pitches would be OK for freestyle vocals. The two sets are probaby equal, outside of freestyle vocals for all the songs in 4 and probably going forward.

Maybe.

Yeah pretty much that. I believe the idea between denoting freestyle vocals vs freestyle guitar on the song library is that with RB4 disc + future DLC, everything will be marked up, regardless of whether or not it has a solo. So, outside of endless solo mode, there might not be freestyle guitar in a song but it will have freestyle vocals.

Kaboobi posted:

Wow, that's impressive

Yeah the team who did all of that is completely ridiculous. There is just an absurd level of talent there.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Harmonix will be streaming RB4 in 20 minutes here: http://twitch.tv/harmonixmusic

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Crawling the @RockBand replies feed, a few (very) small nuggets:

- "The RB1 export offer has expired. If you haven't exported yet, it is unavailable." <- suggests RB1 WILL be available (at launch?) to those of us that did export it
- Q: "If I have, for example, "LEGO Rock Band Export Pack" listed in my Xbox download history, will I be able to dl that to Xbox One?" A: "f you paid for the export and downloaded the songs, yes. If you just put in the code and downloaded the key, you might not." <- LEGO too?
- "Good news! We're already investigating RB3 export."
- "The cymbal pack will be available separately shortly after launch."
- "All the [preorder] bonus songs will be available as DLC." <- ideally including the Harmonix-band RBN ones?

The stream is showing off harmony vocals on legacy DLC! I may or may not have more things to say on that when it's formally announced by HMX!

LOL, from the stream: "That's for you, Kaboobi, get off my back."

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

pksage posted:

The stream is showing off harmony vocals on legacy DLC! I may or may not have more things to say on that when it's formally announced by HMX!

Pope announced the Legacy Harmony Project involvement earlier in the stream.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

No batch downloads for legacy DLC. Enjoy downloading all your songs one by one.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

for as much poo poo as we give GH Live, the whole streaming service is a brilliant way to get around the limitations of console DLC systems. I'm kind of shocked Harmonix couldn't work something out with Sony or Microsoft, considering how much more advanced PSN and XBL are now. I mean, there are MMOs on PS4 that include their own launcher and serve patches themselves, without going through PSN. Harmonix should have been able to build a better system for managing DLC :(

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm guessing said MMOs had a slightly bigger budget than HMX did for RB4 though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh, no doubt. I'm aware of Harmonix's rough financial situation, but I don't think that should excuse what looks to be a subpar product.

I've been trying to stay optimistic, but at this point I'm thinking of skipping RB4 and hoping that Amplitude ends up good, or at least comes out at some point

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
All GHTV songs. on a channel or freemium token played or bought with real money, are also online-only.

So there's that.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
If you want to take a break from RB4 news, pksage interviewed us last week and he just posted comments from some of C3's authors:
https://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-end-of-days-parting-words-from-our-authors/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

If you want to take a break from RB4 news, pksage interviewed us last week and he just posted comments from some of C3's authors:
https://customscreatorscollective.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-end-of-days-parting-words-from-our-authors/

I think I'm leaking? I'm not sure what's going on. Water.. From my eyes?

https://youtu.be/CZd0GJYKwzY

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Man, legacy DLC harmonies are so huge for me. Can't wait!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Gaspar Lewis posted:

All GHTV songs. on a channel or freemium token played or bought with real money, are also online-only.

So there's that.

I think I'd actually prefer that, but I'm coming from a privileged position of uncapped internet that's fast enough to stream. Gimmie a $20/mo Rock Band Pass that gives me most of the DLC as a stream, Harmonix :smith:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

abraham linksys posted:

I think I'd actually prefer that, but I'm coming from a privileged position of uncapped internet that's fast enough to stream. Gimmie a $20/mo Rock Band Pass that gives me most of the DLC as a stream, Harmonix :smith:

It also doesn't use stems, is guitar and (maybe vocals?) only, and when the servers go down you can't play it anymore.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Most "why doesn't Rock Band do <obvious improvement>?" questions can be answered with some or all of "stem licensing", "indie studio funding", and "Harmonix usually cares more about music than gameplay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

It also doesn't use stems, is guitar and (maybe vocals?) only, and when the servers go down you can't play it anymore.

Yeesh, I didn't know it was stemless, nevermind. Explains how they're able to stream it if it's just a single audio track.