Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Code Talker's mansion is great.

want to live in that mansion

puppy model swap is pretty good :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ImpAtom posted:

You really feel like a plot that doesn't resolve the major villain, most of the side characters or even the protagonist's own resolution to major events is fulfilling?

Like most second entries in trilogies which end with the protagonists in peril and the villain triumphant? Yeah. The work itself can be fulfilling even if it relies on the narrative of what comes before and what comes after.

quote:

Regardless, you're even saying by your own admission you're not judging the story on their own merits but on what you think they should be. If TPP was what you asked it would effectively be MGS4 again which nobody wanted and which was a tremendously unsatisfying game despite answering every question and closing as many holes as it could.

I never said anything like that. The game advertised itself as the missing link. But it can link past and present without turning into MGS4. Moreoever, my point has always been that GZ told a more satisfying story than TPP. Evidently, if I like GZ, getting the answer to every single question isn't my only criteria for good story. TPP suffers because the stuff you describe is there but isn't nearly as focused or coherent (or completed) as in GZ.

Romes128 posted:

GZ ends with paz blowing up and the helicopter crashing, not bb awakenning from a coma.

I know, I said GZ bridges end of PW and beginning of TPP by telling us how Big Boss (actually Venom) woke up in the hospital nine years later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Like most second entries in trilogies which end with the protagonists in peril and the villain triumphant? Yeah. The work itself can be fulfilling even if it relies on the narrative of what comes before and what comes after.

Except it doesn't even hit that level. Using the "second part of a triology" example ignores that even those resolve plotlines more completely. (Unless they're bad films!)

I never said anything like that. The game advertised itself as the missing link. But it can link past and present without turning into MGS4. Moreoever, my point has always been that GZ told a more satisfying story than TPP. Evidently, if I like GZ, getting the answer to every single question isn't my only criteria for good story. TPP suffers because the stuff you describe is there but isn't nearly as focused or coherent (or completed) as in GZ.

Except TPP is a complete story, barring the Eli cutscene. It just isn't a Big Boss story. Everything it brings up (again, barring the Eli cutscene) is resolved. The things it doesn't resolve are larger Metal Gear canon questions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Except TPP is a complete story, barring the Eli cutscene. It just isn't a Big Boss story. Everything it brings up (again, barring the Eli cutscene) is resolved. The things it doesn't resolve are larger Metal Gear canon questions.

Whose story is it?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moreoever, my point has always been that GZ told a more satisfying story than TPP. Evidently, if I like GZ, getting the answer to every single question isn't my only criteria for good story. TPP suffers because the stuff you describe is there but isn't nearly as focused or coherent (or completed) as in GZ.

In GZ nobody knows who skull face is, nobody knows why he attacked mother base, none of the main characters know anything about him or cipher, we don't know what happens to any of the main characters, we are left in a cliffhanger in regards to basically everything.

yep, satisfying story.

I know, I said GZ bridges end of PW and beginning of TPP by telling us how Big Boss (actually Venom) woke up in the hospital nine years later.

you can only say that because you know big boss wakes up from a coma in TPP. when GZ came out and we didn't know anything about TPP, you couldn't say it bridges PW to anything because absolutely nothing is resolved at the end of GZ.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
GZ is not a complete story. It is literally chapter 1 or the prologue of mgsv. It was just ripped out and sold to us as a separate product because konami needed to put something out at the time

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ImpAtom posted:

Except it doesn't even hit that level. Using the "second part of a triology" example ignores that even those resolve plotlines more completely. (Unless they're bad films!)

I think it does so I guess agree to disagree.

quote:

As a story, there seems to be a glaring omission between the functional end of Chapter 2 (A Quiet Exit, but I'll be generous and include Kingdom of Flies as part of Race's resolution as well) and The Truth, which occurs with no build up (lots of hints but in terms of narrative it is dumped into the player's mission list without any connection to... anything). The real ending comes out of nowhere, and it seems to me that there was supposed to be something connecting it to basically everything else that happens that was either not completed or never planned, both of which make the story seem unfinished. It just happens and then the game ends, leaving people (and, from what I've read, it is most of the playerbase) feeling confused at best and embittered at worst

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Snak posted:

Whose story is it?

Its the story of how Big Boss survived that one time, because everyone really wanted that explained, honestly I wish the ending was different because playing through the entire game just to find out we were a stand-in for Big Boss and our fate is to be killed in the first Metal Gear game is so meh, like the game doesn't really matter, like we don't see the fall of Big Boss into a monster, all we see is maybe how a fake Big Boss build up an army that eventually became Outer Heaven but even then its unclear

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, you can say it's Venom's story. But then it's the story of how he mostly stood around silently and did nothing except go on missions. Except you can go on missions as anyone, so really you can play the game where Venom does almost nothing at all. The justification that "Venom doesn't talk in the in-engine cutscenes because you might be playing as a different character" is even more horse-poo poo that Kojima's explanation of why Quiet is mostly naked.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ekusukariba posted:

Its the story of how Big Boss survived that one time, because everyone really wanted that explained, honestly I wish the ending was different because playing through the entire game just to find out we were a stand-in for Big Boss and our fate is to be killed in the first Metal Gear game is so meh, like the game doesn't really matter, like we don't see the fall of Big Boss into a monster, all we see is maybe how a fake Big Boss build up an army that eventually became Outer Heaven but even then its unclear

Snake Eater shows why BB becomes disloyal to his (or any) country. I don't think he ever really becomes a monster since from what we know across all the games is that Zero and his influence over the world and eventually the AI's are the bad guys, and BB and the rest of the guys are trying to take him down. Obviously the way BB does it causes a ton of destruction and costs many lives, but he never really becomes evil.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TPP is Huey's story.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Did Troy Baker ever do some of Classic Ocelot's lines for fun?

I'd love to hear him hamming it up about how he knows how to make the bullets go where he wants to, or meowing loudly.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

The guy who wants to create a world of persistent total war, who owns a nuke and has child soldiers, never really became a bad guy.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
the entire series is about Ocelot trolling the gently caress out of everyone.

Speedball posted:

Did Troy Baker ever do some of Classic Ocelot's lines for fun?

I'd love to hear him hamming it up about how he knows how to make the bullets go where he wants to, or meowing loudly.

nah, the only thing we really get is him correcting a solider's shooting like bb corrected him in MGS3.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah Bro posted:

The guy who wants to create a world of persistent total war, who owns a nuke and has child soldiers, never really became a bad guy.

basically.

like i said he doesn't go about achieving his goals the right way, but he's not the bad guy of the metal gear series.

zero, and later in the series, the AIs are the bad guys.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The word you're looking for is antagonist.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
And he was also the primary antagonists of Metal Gear 1 & 2, and inspired literally every single one of the antagonists of the other games except for the one where he was the protagonist.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reminder that MG1 is ultimately the story of how Big Boss tries to lead his son to his death and declare war on the world with his ghetto Metal Gear, before running off and letting one of the only two people to have stood by him in spite of everything take the fall.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Romes128 posted:

basically.

like i said he doesn't go about achieving his goals the right way, but he's not the bad guy of the metal gear series.

zero, and later in the series, the AIs are the bad guys.

What's so good about big boss's goals? Sure, he opposes Zero, but if he'd succeeded, the end result would be much like the situation in 4.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

And he was also the primary antagonists of Metal Gear 1 & 2, and inspired literally every single one of the antagonists of the other games except for the one where he was the protagonist.

depends on perspective.

in MG1, MG2, MGS1, and up until the end of MGS2, Solid Snake and Raiden are being manipulated by the Patriots into fulfilling their missions against people (BB, Liquid, Ocelot) who know the truth about what's really happening.

Solid becomes the variable because he stops working for the government after MGS1, which fucks up the Patriots plans in MGS2 because they do not account for him anymore.

So yeah, when Solid and Raiden were working for the government, they were working for the bad guys, who were trying to take down people who knew the truth about what was happening with the patriots and all that jazz.

Yeah Bro posted:

What's so good about big boss's goals? Sure, he opposes Zero, but if he'd succeeded, the end result would be much like the situation in 4.

Zero uses all that sweet cash he got to basically buy influence over the world. Eventually it comes to a point where the government, who he and later the AI's, control and can do literally whatever they want. They manipulate and shape world events in their favor. Zero gets vegetabled early on, but the AI's from the later games achieve what he wanted to.BB, Solid, and Ocelot all want to take him out. Solid and Ocelot unwittingly do it together and bb comes up and says drat i hosed up.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

There can only be one bad group in the world and you're either with them (bad) or against them (good)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah Bro posted:

There can only be one bad group in the world and you're either with them (bad) or against them (good)

or you know, you could read what i wrote when i said bb doesn't go about it the right way and caused a bunch of death and destruction. i never said bb was the good guy, only that he wasn't the bad guy of the series.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Does Ocelots remark "there is only room for one big boss," Kaz's "screw big boss I am going to help make his phantom stronger," and the scene where venom punches the mirror and is bloodied with an outer heaven logo in the background imply that the Venom tries to take over Outer Heaven?

We know Kaz says gently caress big boss at some point and helps Solid Snake in MG2 and that Venom is killed in MG1.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Does Ocelots remark "there is only room for one big boss," Kaz's "screw big boss I am going to help make his phantom stronger," and the scene where venom punches the mirror and is bloodied with an outer heaven logo in the background imply that the Venom tries to take over Outer Heaven?

We know Kaz says gently caress big boss at some point and helps Solid Snake in MG2 and that Venom is killed in MG1.

venom probably takes over outer heaven while bb goes to command foxhound for the US government. whether its a power struggle that forces bb out, or he calls venom and says, "yo can you watch my base for a minute" is not known.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Honestly the only way for anything to make sense to me is that "Big Boss" establishes Outer Heaven, so basically Venom moves Diamond Dogs there and builds up Outer Heaven, since he thinks he's Big Boss and that's just the thing to do when you're Big Boss, because otherwises him suddenly realizing who he actually is doesn't make sense since how he could go to Outer Heaven and command it without realizing he wasn't Big Boss seems impossible, so Venom makes Outer Heaven then one day gets the Tape, finds out everything's a lie, then either rolls with it or decides to become the real Big Boss, starting by getting rid of "his" clone, which obviously doesn't go so well, I also like this theory because it means that Zanzibarland is the real Outer Heaven but Big Boss couldn't use the name because Venom's was found out first so he had to use a different name or else everyone would know he "survived"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What's the deal with that image? I spy the old school forehead swastika Outer Heaven logo in the background there.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The timeline at the end outright states that Venom died at Outer Heaven

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A Big... Dog posted:

THIS IS PEQUOD, COMING IN HOT

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

sinking belle posted:

What's the deal with that image? I spy the old school forehead swastika Outer Heaven logo in the background there.

The timeline background image changes after each major event. It starts with the Fox logo, to MSF, and ends with that one (I think the image doesn't have the swastika)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQvG6Gdxqc&t=891s

8:47 to 10:01 and then more 14:25 to 15:50. That image is at 14:51

memy posted:

The timeline at the end outright states that Venom died at Outer Heaven

I know, my post says venom dies in MG1 which is outer heaven.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We dont get any closure on DD. :(

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

SynthOrange posted:

He died in 1995, causing Venom Snake to go nuclear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lloyd Boner posted:

He died in 1995, causing Venom Snake to go nuclear.

parasites actually turned him into that Parrot from MGS2

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Infected with vocal chord parasites, DD launches a successful career as a talking dog.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

In the event you want to know anything about what happened to X after MGS5, its that "Solid Snake killed them at Outer Heaven", like remember how there are Dogs at Outer Heaven? Bad News

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ekusukariba posted:

Honestly the only way for anything to make sense to me is that "Big Boss" establishes Outer Heaven, so basically Venom moves Diamond Dogs there and builds up Outer Heaven, since he thinks he's Big Boss and that's just the thing to do when you're Big Boss, because otherwises him suddenly realizing who he actually is doesn't make sense since how he could go to Outer Heaven and command it without realizing he wasn't Big Boss seems impossible, so Venom makes Outer Heaven then one day gets the Tape, finds out everything's a lie, then either rolls with it or decides to become the real Big Boss, starting by getting rid of "his" clone, which obviously doesn't go so well, I also like this theory because it means that Zanzibarland is the real Outer Heaven but Big Boss couldn't use the name because Venom's was found out first so he had to use a different name or else everyone would know he "survived"

the tape that venom listens to in the bathroom that has the real big boss thanking him (after he has the flashbacks of what really happened) is labeled "operation intrude" which was the name of gray fox/solid snakes mission in MG1, so they were probably working together.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
It's cord. Vocal cord. No h

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How did Miller lose his arm and leg? From the crash in '75 or from being tortured by the Soviets?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How did Miller lose his arm and leg? From the crash in '75 or from being tortured by the Soviets?

Giving how he talked about the Skulls attack, they got him good with a machete

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Reminds me of the time I redid that mission with D-Walker, got to the end, put him down, and they just ran past me and shot him dead. So yeah, it's probably the Skulls who cut off his limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

SynthOrange posted:

He was actually Decoy Octopus all along.

• Locked thread