Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What was that guy mad about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
rFactor 2 is moving to steam or something.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
LOL

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kilonum posted:

Triple ultrawide :getin:

That would involve buying new furniture and possibly a new home

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLAT2DLOhVg

Looks like a whole lot of extra unnecessary stuff (LOTS of shift lights), but drat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fans don't simulate wind coming in through window, that rig is trash.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cojawfee posted:

rFactor 2 is moving to steam or something.

oh finally I can get it updated when the updates are pushed instead of a month later when I launch the game

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I like his six displays that tell him the same poo poo and all his leet LEDs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLAT2DLOhVg

Looks like a whole lot of extra unnecessary stuff (LOTS of shift lights), but drat.

Holy poo poo. Not counting what's already in iRacing or any duplicates on the same device (his tach/shift light thing has the lap time on 7 section display as well as the LED display):

3 digital readouts of RPM
3 shift lights
3 readouts of speed
2 readouts of gear
3 tachometers
5 readouts of lap times
3 readouts for water/oil temps

Then all his loving LEDs and fans. With all the money he's wasted on useless poo poo, he could have a way better wheel. Granted this was posted well over a year ago when the DD wheel craze hadn't gotten into full swing, but still. Jesus.

Edit: I forgot that his TVs are so far away.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
It's a proven fact in iRacing that the more expensive your rig is the worse you are at driving.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

L_Harrison posted:

It's a proven fact in iRacing that the more expensive your rig is the worse you are at driving.

Can confirm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kilonum posted:

oh finally I can get it updated when the updates are pushed instead of a month later when I launch the game

But you'll still have to manually download all new content and go through your package list deleting old versions.

Edit: Speaking of which, the stock cars are out for rF2 now along with a modder's version of Jacksonville and update to ISI's Charlotte.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 26, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I've tried the rfactor 2 demo on two separate occasions now and it never works. It detects my g27 but nothing works. Game thinks all pedals are pressed down to the max and the wheel is turned to the left according to options screen. Calibration doesn't work. What is going on? I knew thar rfactor 2 is mod friendly and poo poo but I didn't expect that I have to apparently code proper wheel detection myself.

Edit:

Suddenly started to work. :ghost:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 26, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

L_Harrison posted:

I can verify. I have a Obutto R3volution and I suck.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I went really cheep with my chair and got a playseat challange. I'm okay.

I'll probably get worse when I get my pedals and shifter replacements though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Stock Car Extreme beta 1.48 is out and there's a lot of stuff in it. This is the first build of the full code rewrite to improve on the old rFactor code GSCE is built on.

- Wheel rotation should now be automatically set for each car, though some have a setup option for changing it slightly.
- Lancer cup is added along with Velo Citta
- Tons of AI tweaks, the aggression slider is now completely gone in favour of a handful of preset behavior options from low to max aggression. They'll also use DRS now in cars that have it.
- Multiclass races are now possible.
- FOV is now changable in car

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

- Wheel rotation should now be automatically set for each car, though some have a setup option for changing it slightly.

CSW V2 is not supported yet for that, they're on it though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

CSW V2 is not supported yet for that, they're on it though.

Yeah I probably should've mentioned that, it's only for certain wheels (ie, Logitech and Thrustmaster) right now. Also it's probably worth completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game on Steam because the code rewrite means a lot of old files will make this new build crash on startup.

On another note I did a couple of races against the AI in the rFactor 2 stock cars and that AI is not great.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think I read a Wheatley post about them being aware of issues with the stock car AI. Not that the other AI isn't just as hit and miss as everything in rF2. But god drat does if feel good when it works.

Edit: The Lancers in SCE are fun. That game just keeps getting better. Nothing but love for those guys.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I think I read a Wheatley post about them being aware of issues with the stock car AI. Not that the other AI isn't just as hit and miss as everything in rF2. But god drat does if feel good when it works.

Edit: The Lancers in SCE are fun. That game just keeps getting better. Nothing but love for those guys.

I just took the Lancer R out for a quick race at Suzuka multiclass alongside the RS and christ those things are fun and easy to drive but will kick you in the teeth if you push it too far. It really is amazing how well Reiza just nails it with every bit of content they release. The game is a lot less painful to get moving from a clean start as well. I just had to set my controls up and change a few options and just dove in. Didn't even change any FFB settings and the whole thing felt fantastic right out of the gate. The optimisations to the graphics engine they've done too have helped a lot with performance, 20 cars on track induced a much smaller framerate hit than it used to on my machine.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
this is only if you paid into the beta contents from the crowdsourcing right?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

On another note I did a couple of races against the AI in the rFactor 2 stock cars and that AI is not great.
Speaking of AI, I wandered to the OP and saw our chart says Raceroom has good AI. I then wandered to the Steam page and saw it was F2P. To which, I feel obligated to ask before DLing it: does it have at least PCars (mediocre) level controller support?

My last parting of ways with PCars was thanks to a massive AI difficulty inconsistency annoying me (one race in an invitational I won by a moderate margin at 90 difficulty, the next I can't qualify better than 18/20 on 80 difficulty on a track I feel I'm pretty good at [Donington]).

Cojawfee posted:

Don't get three monitors. If you currently have three monitors, go with it. If you don't have three monitors, wait for the Rift or Vive. Even with the low resolution of the DK2, you're actually in the car and it's amazing. There's so much depth. At the very least, find someone to let you try VR when it comes out before going with three screens. The extra peripheral of three screen is nice, but you can't place the car as well as you can with a rift.
I haven't really been following VR stuff aside from glancing at some things after reading this last night, but have any of them hinted at (at least in the future) including peripheral vision screens? I guess, on the downside, it'd be the equivalent of four screens which raises PC spec necessity over even that of triple monitors, but that seems like a kind of big drawback over a more tradition setup since peripheral vision is definitely a plus. I'd probably rather go for VR on the principle of it taking up a lot less space than a triple monitor setup though (sounds like price-wise, it'll be similar-ish).

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo. Not counting what's already in iRacing or any duplicates on the same device (his tach/shift light thing has the lap time on 7 section display as well as the LED display):

3 digital readouts of RPM
3 shift lights
3 readouts of speed
2 readouts of gear
3 tachometers
5 readouts of lap times
3 readouts for water/oil temps

Then all his loving LEDs and fans. With all the money he's wasted on useless poo poo, he could have a way better wheel. Granted this was posted well over a year ago when the DD wheel craze hadn't gotten into full swing, but still. Jesus.

Edit: I forgot that his TVs are so far away.
I don't think it was his intend purpose, but I started laughing when he was going through all the gauges and totally unnecessary lights. I'm sure in a separate video he is PCMasterRacing up his Titan-using (in 2014... so when it was over $1000 for just the card?), LED filled PC too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

this is only if you paid into the beta contents from the crowdsourcing right?

Yeah, I'd expect it to be in the main release a few weeks from now. There are a lot of crash issues and graphical glitches being sorted out.

bUm posted:

Speaking of AI, I wandered to the OP and saw our chart says Raceroom has good AI. I then wandered to the Steam page and saw it was F2P. To which, I feel obligated to ask before DLing it: does it have at least PCars (mediocre) level controller support?

You could play it with a controller, I've not done it but the outside car camera is pretty rubbish, the HUD basically doesn't exist and every loading screen will say "Yo you really should be using a wheel".

But it's also free to at least download it and try it out so you might as well if you can.

E: I just tried out the multiclass racing in GSCE and Superkarts will kick the poo poo out of Formula 3 cars. Gonna do a race with a load of different F1 cars later.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 27, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ordered the Formula Rim, let's see how much difference weight makes. If it does I will of course need a lighter round rim as well. Gonna have to convince myself to get that Porsche rim one way or another.

Unrelated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZjt-KEYPA :3:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Where do I get this.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Where do I get this.

http://www.xtremefactor.es/en/descargas/viewdownload/97-mods-gsc-2013/1562-legends-cars.html

I didn't put it in the video description because I don't know where it originally comes from and it's most likely an unapproved conversion or even straight-up rip. There's tons of that on that site, but to save you time: most of the stuff that's not also on Racedepartment is pretty bad and not worth downloading.

For the Legends Car I increased the caster, I found it a bit loose around the center in straight line driving.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The automatic wheel rotation adjustment alone has made the current GSCE beta awesome, just for making it so much easier to just jump into a car without having to worry about tweaking the steering lock. I took the Minis out for a quick race at Taruma and they just feel so much more fun to drive now I can just hop in without worrying. When the custom championships come in then I'll really be able to enjoy them. Hopefully they're going to properly implement multiclass stuff in terms of classification and such because I think a Marcas vs Minis series would be huge fun.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do my iRacing FOV calculations work in GSCE? (And rFactor1/2?)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ziploc posted:

Do my iRacing FOV calculations work in GSCE? (And rFactor1/2?)

There's calculators for every game online.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

There's calculators for every game online.

I've actually never thought about how different games work FOV differently. Like I've always just bunged the 50deg iRacing's FOV calculator vomited up at me into every game, but I worked out my vertical FOV for GSCE and rF2 and it's 33, way less than I was using.

Anyway I'm now about 3 seconds a lap quicker around Taruma in the Mini so fix your loving FOV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some games do vertical FOV and some do horizontal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Some games do vertical FOV and some do horizontal.

Yeah, and I've never considered before that there was a difference between the 2 since horizontal FOV is always just labelled as FOV.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Some R3E racing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVicxRUo4
The AI is pretty much on the ball from lap one, races clean and does jostle for position, it's just maybe a bit too happy to hang back once you put a bit of distance between you and them.

I found I kinda enjoy making these videos, if my flooding the thread with them gets too much just tell me.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
the sounds are always so goddamn good in r3e imo

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

You could play it with a controller, I've not done it but the outside car camera is pretty rubbish, the HUD basically doesn't exist and every loading screen will say "Yo you really should be using a wheel".

But it's also free to at least download it and try it out so you might as well if you can.
I decided what the hell and gave Raceroom a try. I quickly realized it is hardly the F2P it claims and it's more or a less a demo since the F2P component includes: 2 circuits, 1 non-circuit, and five cars (in, I think, 2 different classes) which is hardly enough to do anything interesting without buying a pack. It is kind of annoying that it included so little for DLing 17 gigs for.

It was technically possible to use a controller with, but difficult. Poked around with settings for little while, but it still felt really touchy and I was routinely unrecoverably spinning out trying to accelerate out of turns (even when being perfectly straight before touching the gas). Might've been able to tune it to feel better, but, having seen how little content was free anyway, just went ahead and uninstalled it.

I was using the driver cam like I do in PCars; not sure why you'd assume chase cam since it's probably harder to use that, even with a controller.

Think I've put in enough time with a controller between PCars and Dirt Rally that I might seriously start looking into getting a wheel. Think in the past people here mentioned the G27 as a good quality per dollar (gold standard for entry wheels?) for a first wheel, right? If that still checks out, it seems like a decent idea to price watch (looking at a price history, it occasionally went sub-$200 brand new last holiday season) the G27 in the coming months as they try to clear stock to make way for the G29/920 being their primary during holiday sales.

OhsH posted:

the sounds are always so goddamn good in r3e imo
It definitely sounded nice; probably the highlight of it from my brief glance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

I decided what the hell and gave Raceroom a try. I quickly realized it is hardly the F2P it claims and it's more or a less a demo since the F2P component includes: 2 circuits, 1 non-circuit, and five cars (in, I think, 2 different classes) which is hardly enough to do anything interesting without buying a pack. It is kind of annoying that it included so little for DLing 17 gigs for.

It was technically possible to use a controller with, but difficult. Poked around with settings for little while, but it still felt really touchy and I was routinely unrecoverably spinning out trying to accelerate out of turns (even when being perfectly straight before touching the gas). Might've been able to tune it to feel better, but, having seen how little content was free anyway, just went ahead and uninstalled it.

I was using the driver cam like I do in PCars; not sure why you'd assume chase cam since it's probably harder to use that, even with a controller.

Think I've put in enough time with a controller between PCars and Dirt Rally that I might seriously start looking into getting a wheel. Think in the past people here mentioned the G27 as a good quality per dollar (gold standard for entry wheels?) for a first wheel, right? If that still checks out, it seems like a decent idea to price watch (looking at a price history, it occasionally went sub-$200 brand new last holiday season) the G27 in the coming months as they try to clear stock to make way for the G29/920 being their primary during holiday sales.

Yeah I usually prefer to call RaceRoom's free stuff a demo, but if you like it just buy the DTM 2013 or ADAC 2014 packs because they're the cheapest and will get you going pretty well. As for wheels I'd say hold off on the G27 because the T150 is supposedly a really great wheel coming out next month for $200.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
G27 is a great wheel. I have one that gets some use. If it sits in my closet, I don't feel too bad because it was like 160 bucks

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm going to add a remark about R3E's F2P aka Demo content in the next update. What is it now, three tracks and half a dozen cars?

I'm also going to add a (Software) Utilities section since I found DashMeterPro so completely unnecessary but highly enjoyable. What's the equivalent for iPad? What's some other stuff that's worth mentioning?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah I usually prefer to call RaceRoom's free stuff a demo, but if you like it just buy the DTM 2013 or ADAC 2014 packs because they're the cheapest and will get you going pretty well. As for wheels I'd say hold off on the G27 because the T150 is supposedly a really great wheel coming out next month for $200.
If I was going to drop money for it, I think I'd jump for GSCE instead since it looks more interesting from afar (I'm assuming it has a similar/good season based around Brazilian Stock Cars instead of the series R3E covers). I was just probing since it was "free" with above average AI. Played some PCars last night and had a good time though so that'll sate my short term circuit racing desire for awhile until one of its quirks drives me away again.

T150 sounds interesting. Looks like it lacks a clutch pedal/shifter, but is also belt driven (better/quieter, right?) and has a brake with progressive resistance out of the box. I assume using paddles makes things quite a bit easier, but I might also feel like I'm missing out on the full experience when driving cars that have a proper shifter. Might be a better bet in the long run though if I decided to upgrade if the wheel itself was still good so I'd just need pedals/shifter. I'll have to have a look at some reviews for G27/T150 (the InsideSimRacing ones mentioned in the OP seem quite thorough) before any money is dropped. Thanks for an alternative suggestion; any others hanging around the $200 mark that I ought to check out?

GhostDog posted:

I'm going to add a remark about R3E's F2P aka Demo content in the next update. What is it now, three tracks and half a dozen cars?
One hill climb, two circuits with a few layouts, and five cars. Beyond that, as far as I'm aware, there wasn't really any feature locking (theoretically could play online/championship/etc) or duration locking preventing you from going hog wild with the fairly small amount provided if you wanted.

More explicitly: Lakeview Hillclimb; Raceroom Raceway, Portimao Circuit; Aquila CR1 Sports GT, Saleen S7R, DMD P20, 134 Judd V8, and Canhard R52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Trip report with the Clubsport Formula Rim: The FFB seems a bit more detailed, though not by a huge amount IMO, and there's always the placebo effect to take into account. The bigger and I think indisputable difference is being able to turn more quickly which definitely helps with countersteering. Nice immersion boost to driving open wheelers of course. However, based on my experience I don't think I'm going to splurge on the Porsche Rim just for the sake of losing 600 grams compared to the BMW Rim. Maybe if it gets a good sale.

bUm posted:

If I was going to drop money for it, I think I'd jump for GSCE instead since it looks more interesting from afar (I'm assuming it has a similar/good season based around Brazilian Stock Cars instead of the series R3E covers).

SCE is always a good choice, but be warned that season/championship mode is still bugged and doesn't score correctly. It's (supposedly, I didn't try yet) fixed in the current backer beta and will take a few weeks to come to the release build.

bUm posted:

T150 sounds interesting. Looks like it lacks a clutch pedal/shifter, but is also belt driven (better/quieter, right?) and has a brake with progressive resistance out of the box. I assume using paddles makes things quite a bit easier, but I might also feel like I'm missing out on the full experience when driving cars that have a proper shifter. Might be a better bet in the long run though if I decided to upgrade if the wheel itself was still good so I'd just need pedals/shifter. I'll have to have a look at some reviews for G27/T150 (the InsideSimRacing ones mentioned in the OP seem quite thorough) before any money is dropped. Thanks for an alternative suggestion; any others hanging around the $200 mark that I ought to check out?

All wheels currently affordable to mere mortals are belt driven, there was gear drive but I think none are on the market EDIT: WRONG. The high end wheels are direct driven, i.e. the wheel sits directly on the the motor shaft. Belt drives generate torque out of a smaller motor using a pulley but lose detail due to friction, direct drives need a stronger motor but are, as the name implies, more direct.

Be aware that if you want to use clutch you can't use autoblip and need to learn heel-toe, because downshifting while breaking without blipping will do terrible things to your car in most sims. For someone like me whose feet so far just seem to refuse to learn heel-toe it means either not downshifting through gears losing valuable engine breaking power or just forgetting the clutch pedal exists and drive everything with sequential shifting and autoblip. I still aim to learn it, but so far I could have done without a clutch and H-shifter, though a sequential shifter stick is still nice for immersion sake.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread