Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cangelosi posted:

Dude, the sidekick doesn't just have cauliflower ears. Those are SPROUTS.

Seriously, dude. Doctor. Now.

No doctor can save him from that haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, this comic is about a cowboy who goes to Mars to fight Nazis. It is surprisingly boring!

I like how despite it being ~IN SPAAACE~ everything is from Earth. Cowboys, Nazis, okay maybe strange-eared hipster sidekick is a martian.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic is weirdly low energy for the story it tells, namely that the Martian Nazis (who are just Nazis who fled to Mars during the war) blow up New York, London, Moscow and oddly enough Honolulu but the main character doesn't seem to care much about it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I guess there's a reason that was the last issue.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of IN SPACE, I always liked this one ...

Nazis, red scaly aliens, what's the difference?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Selachian posted:

Speaking of IN SPACE, I always liked this one ...

Nazis, red scaly aliens, what's the difference?

I love What If's where you can answer the titular question with "Well, it would be pretty fuckin dope, that's what if."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Travis343 posted:

I love What If's where you can answer the titular question with "Well, it would be pretty fuckin dope, that's what if."

What If the Hulk Had Become a Barbarian? comes to mind.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

and oddly enough Honolulu

Wait, what?

What did Hawaii ever do to the Nazis?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, what?

Well...I mean, Pearl Harbor. If it hadn't been for that stupid harbour the US never would have joined the war and saved everyone else from inevitable defeat. Right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, what?

A Nazi scientist managed to scry the future but all he saw was an episode of DBZ and they got the wrong idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, what?

Doesn't Hawaii have really high enlistment numbers?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Maybe by per capita? It's got a population of less than 2 million people now, so I have trouble believing it meaningfully impacted the size of the army back in the 40s.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blowing up Hawaii with your Nazi bombs would definitely weaken American ability to project power in the Pacific, especially back then. What good this does a Nazi (who is on the other side of the Atlantic, a much smaller and more heavily trafficed ocean) much less a Mars Nazi is an open question. If we wanted to use a tropical island as a rocket base we'd use Puerto Rico.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't Hawaii have really high enlistment numbers?

Pacific Islanders generally count as living weapons, see NFL/wrestling.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Yes, this comic is about a cowboy who goes to Mars to fight Nazis. It is surprisingly boring!
The true Martian Nazi Führer can't be Hitler - the swastika is mirrored! Armband one is right way round, so the only possible way this story can end is with Western man telling the honest but naive Nazi soldiers that they have been duped, their Führer is actually not German and they will then turn on him.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Simply Simon posted:

The true Martian Nazi Führer can't be Hitler - the swastika is mirrored! Armband one is right way round, so the only possible way this story can end is with Western man telling the honest but naive Nazi soldiers that they have been duped, their Führer is actually not German and they will then turn on him.

They will fight on, as long as the Living Kewpie Doll is bitchslapping them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

(Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
From Weird Western Tales #2

The Devil's sombrero has many powers, chief among them is mustache power

WWT #4

Peter Milligan fails to understand what exactly defines a western and presents the self-contradictory thesis that it is a battle between masculine freedom (as symbolized by the frontier) against feminine enslavement (as represented by law and order). this is contradictory because in westerns, the good guy, who is also totally butch, is the guy who brings law and order to the frontier. Milligan is right to remind us, though, that there comes a point when we must all man up and tell our wives that we are going out drinking and that we will be back "when we are good and ready".

post your source or poppa spank

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I don't know much about Peter Milligan. Is he always that dumb?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That all seems pretty drat tongue-in-cheek.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chaos Hippy posted:

He's the guy who wrote X-Statix, so I'm guessing he's not completely meaning the things the cowboy is saying.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

(Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl)

thats a weird loss edit

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chaos Hippy posted:

Shade is pretty awesome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think I'd like Phonogram a lot more if I knew anything at all about britpop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cap #387 or thereabouts:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So does Cap actually get turned into a woman or does he somehow escape?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

So does Cap actually get turned into a woman or does he somehow escape?

Diamondback and her girls save them, and Cap and Paladin have to (supposedly) cross-dress to escape.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, Cap has electrodes on his junk.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Cap #387 or thereabouts:

So is that Claremont or Byrne?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Marvel Wikia posted:

Now on Femizona Island, Superia checks on the progress of turning Captain America and Paladin into women. Gathering all the super powered women together, Superia explains she learned that in the future, most of North America will be called Femizona and women will be the rulers, led by Thundra. Superia believes she is an ancestor to Thundra, and will cause the event that leads to this future. Not liking the way this future sounds, Asp and Black Mamba find Cap and Paladin and help free them from Superia's Feminization Treatment. Donning Black Mamba and Asp's costumes respectively to disguise themselves as women, Cap and Paladin infiltrate command center and confront Superia. After a brief fight, Superia reveals her plan to sterilize all the women on Earth except for the 10,572 women on Femizonia Island, and that she's already launched her Sterility Seed rockets.

What a loving comic book.

Gaz-L posted:

Diamondback and her girls save them, and Cap and Paladin have to (supposedly) cross-dress to escape.

The one time I was hoping for awful female superhero costumes.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 29, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Sizone posted:

Peter Milligan fails to understand what exactly defines a western and presents the self-contradictory thesis that it is a battle between masculine freedom (as symbolized by the frontier) against feminine enslavement (as represented by law and order). this is contradictory because in westerns, the good guy, who is also totally butch, is the guy who brings law and order to the frontier. Milligan is right to remind us, though, that there comes a point when we must all man up and tell our wives that we are going out drinking and that we will be back "when we are good and ready".

That is actually a straight up theme in a whole lot of Western literature though, is the thing. Hell Own Wister's The Virginian, widely considered the first Western written, has the love interest be a civilized woman from the East Coast who finds the masculine as hell lead super attractive. Masculine freedom of the frontier versus the encroaching order of the civilized and often feminine East is a ridiculously common trope in Westerns, it's just that a lot of Western movies spun that into "frontier justice". Though someone taking an idealized form of rugged masculinity into modern time is and will forever be the mark of a total putz at best.

(English major :spergin: over).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

SynthOrange posted:

Cap #387 or thereabouts:
Paladin is seriously my favorite Marvel C-lister. He's always involved in the best stories (and Shadowland).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why they left their masks on in those tanks.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ManlyGrunting posted:

That is actually a straight up theme in a whole lot of Western literature though, is the thing. Hell Own Wister's The Virginian, widely considered the first Western written, has the love interest be a civilized woman from the East Coast who finds the masculine as hell lead super attractive. Masculine freedom of the frontier versus the encroaching order of the civilized and often feminine East is a ridiculously common trope in Westerns, it's just that a lot of Western movies spun that into "frontier justice". Though someone taking an idealized form of rugged masculinity into modern time is and will forever be the mark of a total putz at best.

That's mainly a continuation of the beginnings of American fiction that described the American identity as being more rural, more masculine, and more idealistically pure compared to the over-educated, over-complicated and feminized lifestyle of the British. And it continues now with stories of lower class underdogs who don't need fancy book learning to tell it like it is. Americans have always had a weird inferiority complex in our stories, and sexism has always been attached to it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I think I'd like Phonogram a lot more if I knew anything at all about britpop.

i would like it more if kieron gillen wasn't insufferable

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ManlyGrunting posted:

Milligan is, however, the kind of guy who would watch The Searchers and be, like, that movie is racist and a tool of the patriarchy while completely missing the fact that it's an amazing movie and that it's racist because it's a treatise on what constitutes race (blood or shared ideologies) and, by extension, what constitutes nationality.

Or he would watch Liberty Valance and be, like, "John Wayne is supposed to be the good guy? He's a bully" while missing the point that John Wayne isn't really the good guy, he's the guy who shoots the bad guy.

I still like Peter Miligan, he just lacks a lot of the subtlety and cleverness of a lot of his contemporaries and he doesn't get westerns.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

E: Whoop

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What a loving comic book.

The one time I was hoping for awful female superhero costumes.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Hello Deadpool Buttshot. We Missed You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Practical Demon posted:

That's mainly a continuation of the beginnings of American fiction that described the American identity as being more rural, more masculine, and more idealistically pure compared to the over-educated, over-complicated and feminized lifestyle of the British. And it continues now with stories of lower class underdogs who don't need fancy book learning to tell it like it is. Americans have always had a weird inferiority complex in our stories, and sexism has always been attached to it.

There's also the issue of the Frontier Thesis, where , at the end of the 19th Century, America no longer had any real frontiers left to colonize. The Western was a romanticized look back for civilized Americans to reminisce about their tough-as-hell ancestors who made America great. It's the longing of the average American grocer, that, if it came down to it, he could become an extraordinary cowboy if he just lived in the right time.

There's a second issue, though. The frontier was also, according to Turner, the formative place of Amercan-ism, the crucible where your former nationality was burned out of you by the necessity of survival. Thus, the new wave of Irish, Italian, and Jewish Immigrants cannot be Americanized like all prior immigrants because there's no frontier left.