Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't done the math, but Dusk Vigil just generally feels bad insofar as time:xp ratio.

It probably would have felt better if Bismarck Ex had been something like another 180 ring to fit alongside the 180 Law ring (or maybe 190 for Prototype Gordian, but that feels like a stretch for the difficulty). Giving Bismarck a weapon that was immediately obsoleted by the Primal it gated that could be and likely was cleared in the same week was a confusing affair.

nuru fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Nice! posted:

I capped eso this week using nothing but frontline roulette and one expert a few days ago. The queue times are only really crazy if you're playing at an off hour.

Yes, crazy off hours such as "US prime time" which is when I had that 80 minutes Seal Rock queue.

Klungar posted:

If I bought a new iPhone and will be backing up my existing iPhone and restoring the new one with my back up, do I have to jump through shenanigans with the Software Token or will everything be good to go?

The software token will not restore on your new iPhone. (I just upgraded myself.)

Keep the old phone around, log in to your account using it and remove the software token entirely. The app will install on your new phone as if it had been installed for the first time, so you have to set it up as if it were a new token.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

What time zone and what hours are you calling prime time? Not even my dps queues are 20 minutes from 6pm to 1am pst. Are you on a particularly low population data center?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've definitely gotten 40+ minute Frontlines queues (I stopped waiting at that point) during the time frame you mentioned on Excalibur.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Boten Anna posted:

That combined with everyone being a whiny crybaby about how hard it is meant that XIV's version of that really fun part of Cataclysm where the dungeons were actually kind of hard and required you to know how to play lasted exactly one patch cycle and we'll never see it again. RIP :( :negative:

The problem I have is that you always get people coming along and saying you can experience everything you want if you just try hard enough!! But the reality is you generally need 3-7 other people who are not bad at the game to play with you to do that. Sadly all of my RL friends who I've ever gotten to play with me are poo poo at video games.

I have extremely unfond memories of being a tank running extreme titan when it first came out, and due to playtimes not matching up with goon groups etc, I was forced to pug it. Playing that fight perfectly as an individual player meant jack poo poo when your healers get launched off the platform for the thousandth time. I think it took me almost a month of pugging it nightly to actually get a win in. Naturally this was met with choruses of git gud despite having that poo poo on autopilot.

I'm in a static these days that effectively enables me to see and do content, but I am under no illusions that billy joe average can necessarily accomplish the same, even if he is good at the game himself. This is the problem you have with putting hard content in an MMO. It is the same reason I am always mildly tempted to drop queue when I get chrysalis. It is not because I personally find it difficult, it is because I know the odds are against me being in a group with 7 other competent people, and I'm staring down the barrel of a slog that may eventually disband anyway.

I'm rambling at this point, but personally I like seeing harder content in the game. I'd be even happier if the group size required to do it was even smaller (think 4man bcnm or something, or solo Maat). I'm just sympathizing with people not necessarily liking it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I am still enjoying Final Fantasy Fourteen: Heavensward and am looking forward to patch 3.1

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

I am still enjoying Final Fantasy Fourteen: Heavensward and am looking forward to patch 3.1

I am too but I also agree that the sheer # of level 60 gear tiers is a little weird.

I also think that Living Liquid savage mode is a fun fight even though we're on like our fourth or fifth week of it.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Kaedric posted:

The problem I have is that you always get people coming along and saying you can experience everything you want if you just try hard enough!! But the reality is you generally need 3-7 other people who are not bad at the game to play with you to do that. Sadly all of my RL friends who I've ever gotten to play with me are poo poo at video games.

I have extremely unfond memories of being a tank running extreme titan when it first came out, and due to playtimes not matching up with goon groups etc, I was forced to pug it. Playing that fight perfectly as an individual player meant jack poo poo when your healers get launched off the platform for the thousandth time. I think it took me almost a month of pugging it nightly to actually get a win in. Naturally this was met with choruses of git gud despite having that poo poo on autopilot.

I'm in a static these days that effectively enables me to see and do content, but I am under no illusions that billy joe average can necessarily accomplish the same, even if he is good at the game himself. This is the problem you have with putting hard content in an MMO. It is the same reason I am always mildly tempted to drop queue when I get chrysalis. It is not because I personally find it difficult, it is because I know the odds are against me being in a group with 7 other competent people, and I'm staring down the barrel of a slog that may eventually disband anyway.

I'm rambling at this point, but personally I like seeing harder content in the game. I'd be even happier if the group size required to do it was even smaller (think 4man bcnm or something, or solo Maat). I'm just sympathizing with people not necessarily liking it.

When people talk about "accessibility" they don't tend to mean "everyone can clear every bit of content", they mean "everyone can attempt every bit of content without spending 5 hours a night farming potions and then another 3 hours getting the whole raid out there before you can even start".

Or at least I hope that's what they mean because whining about the mere existence of hard stuff that exists in addition to the easy things is just silly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vOv posted:

I've definitely gotten 40+ minute Frontlines queues (I stopped waiting at that point) during the time frame you mentioned on Excalibur.

Front lines queues break or something. I was in a 30 minute queue once and someone in FC chat said he was queueing. He was in the same GC and got a pop after a minute or two. I re queued and got a pop 5 minutes later.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Front lines queues break or something. I was in a 30 minute queue once and someone in FC chat said he was queueing. He was in the same GC and got a pop after a minute or two. I re queued and got a pop 5 minutes later.
I complained about a long queue and an FC mate claimed that it can shove you into a queue for the earlier Frontlines and not move you over to Seal Rock if it's available. And I left the queue, waited a moment, and got an estimated 19 minute queue right away, so maybe they're right?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Doublestep posted:

I know the mobs don't but yelling that the roulette itself doesn't when it's a pretty decent source of exp as is is pretty misleading

It's a terrible source of exp though? It's either 10 or 15% exp for clearing, I am 100% certain I could guildleve experience faster than most of the hldr dungeons and guildleves are abysmal.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Failboattootoot posted:

It's a terrible source of exp though? It's either 10 or 15% exp for clearing, I am 100% certain I could guildleve experience faster than most of the hldr dungeons and guildleves are abysmal.

Guild leves give half of a fate at 52 with first time bonus and the daily bonus so lol

Hldr is still more exp than an at level dungeon run, it's slightly worse if you have rested

If you're seriously complaining about 15% of a level for 10-15 minutes of time spent lmao

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 29, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Agreed. I'm slowly leveling other classes to 60 so as not to burn out after getting my monk kitted out in upgraded Law gear.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just came back after not playing since launch and decided to make a new character. Since my other character was on Coeurl I made the new one there too.

The server seems pretty dead. Does anyone know if this is the case? It seems to take 20+ minutes to find a duty. I don't really care about what guild is where but I'd like to be able to find groups easy enough. What server is most populated?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 29, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Excalibur is the unofficial goon server. There's 3 FCs of just goons, if that floats your boat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ignimbrite posted:

Excalibur is the unofficial goon server. There's 3 FCs of just goons, if that floats your boat.

Come to excalibur. Join TPT. Feed some birds.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
joining up with goons isn't always a guarantee of a good time, and hell I think it's a pain chatting in FC, but across all three goon guilds you're basically guaranteed to make friends if you put yourself out there. it's been the most social goon experience I've had in an mmo.

Roll on excal.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kaedric posted:

It's a tough balance, but the core of my complaints is that I Really Like Dungeons, like in general as a concept, but the way they are implemented as part of this game especially (and most theme park MMOs) is they kind of have to be possible blindfolded while a cat dances on your keyboard otherwise group finder becomes largely useless and the game becomes too frustrating. And this is fine for levelling or daily grind poo poo or whatever but there's this entire class of content I want that might not ever even exist where dungeons are actually challenging and require good resource management and the bosses are somewhere between hard/extreme primal difficulty with rewards that match.

That said I'd probably get 90% of what I wanted if the min ilevel checkbox actually had some compelling rewards attached to it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Well that sure is a macro.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Doublestep posted:

Guild leves give half of a fate at 52 with first time bonus and the daily bonus so lol

Hldr is still more exp than an at level dungeon run, it's slightly worse if you have rested

If you're seriously complaining about 15% of a level for 10-15 minutes of time spent lmao

Here are some numbers! I just ran Trials, HLDR, and an at-level dungeon in LLDR on my 56 DRK.

Trials was 121k for a 10 minute fight (Greg2), but most trials are more like 5 minutes, so that's like 25k/min.
HLDR was 283k for a 30 minute run, but KotL is also one of the longer dungeons, so let's say 20 mintues. That means 14k/min.
The dungeon gave me 431k for 30 minutes, so 14k/min. With 100k LLDR bonus it was more like 18k/min.

So HLDR is a good option even if you have rested and armory; if you don't have both, then it's definitely better than both LLDR and at-level dungeons.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you know, i've tried to deny it since 2.0, but I just can't anymore. playing warrior is so much more fun, even at 50, hell even at 30, than paladin. it breaks my heart because I raided on it from first through final coil but i just never want to pick up paladin again even though i love the sword and board asthetic

thank you for listening

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Sankis posted:

The server seems pretty dead.
Play on Excalibur or bust. Creating a character can be a pain if you typically play during times when character creation is locked, but, if you're willing to pay for a server transfer, you want to be where the people are.

Join DGKK and Hungry Harvey will make you a hat or a minion or something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

seiferguy posted:

Well that sure is a macro.

You put your down down, you
{Full Thrust} your pelvis, HUH,
{Full Thrust} your pelvis, HUH

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Sentient Data posted:

You put your down down, you
{Full Thrust} your pelvis, HUH

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

you know, i've tried to deny it since 2.0, but I just can't anymore. playing warrior is so much more fun, even at 50, hell even at 30, than paladin. it breaks my heart because I raided on it from first through final coil but i just never want to pick up paladin again even though i love the sword and board asthetic

thank you for listening

I started off as a paladin, until my current static formed in 2.3ish, and I switched because the other tank was a paladin as well. Then in 3.0 he went to dark knight, and I figured I'd go back to paladin. I started seeing the problems with the class early on, and Alex Savage made them obvious. I stuck with it until we couldn't get past Hand of Pain in A3S. Then I suggested that I should try going as warrior, and despite only having a hive axe and normal alex gear, we cleared the dps check with no issue. I'm getting my eso axe tomorrow and I regret putting off the switch for so long. I really feel like I've held my static back because of it.

I think the flaws in the paladin class have always been there. It's just that now that we have more of a choice in what tanks we bring, the flaws are brought to light.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Hi there guys - after reading all the good stuff about DRK and especially the class quests I'm willing to give it a try. Problem is, my only combat class at max is my 60 BLM (finally got that rotation down but that's another goddamn story) and I'm completely new to tanking. I mean, I've done it before in other MMOs but never seriously. Are there any good guides I should take a look at and some that focus on DRK in particular? I know I need cross class skills so I'm levelling GLA and MRD right now but any other tips would be very helpful. I'm also on Excalibur in PBC, and I'll be working towards this when not grinding for that black mage AR2 gear (btw I wish it wasn't so loving butt ugly).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Espilae posted:

Hi there guys - after reading all the good stuff about DRK and especially the class quests I'm willing to give it a try. Problem is, my only combat class at max is my 60 BLM (finally got that rotation down but that's another goddamn story) and I'm completely new to tanking. I mean, I've done it before in other MMOs but never seriously. Are there any good guides I should take a look at and some that focus on DRK in particular? I know I need cross class skills so I'm levelling GLA and MRD right now but any other tips would be very helpful. I'm also on Excalibur in PBC, and I'll be working towards this when not grinding for that black mage AR2 gear (btw I wish it wasn't so loving butt ugly).

Here are the basics:

Read your skills as a DRK, they will tell you how best to use them.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Espilae posted:

Tank is secretly the easiest class. %90 of the time you stand in 1 spot and jerk off doing a couple combos in a row. I used to be impressed how some people could hold hate and chat in FC at the same time, until I started leveling WAR myself. It can feel a little stressful at first because your the center of attention when things go wrong, but just keep at it and ask for tips in FC chat. Always people willing to offer advice to prospective new tanks.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I don't know a lot at all about this game in general, but I just bought it on the PS3 store for my ps3. I probably won't be getting ps4 for a while so that's why I went ahead and got it. I was getting really tired of WoW but kept craving an MMO, and my laptop is too lovely to run this game. I only bought the base game, ARR, however I will have the funds to upgrade to HW very soon, assuming I even need it just to get started.

My main question is, what do I need to know right now just to get started? I don't know much about this game, or playing it on a console at all. Right now it's downloading in the background, I know to roll a guy on Excalibur to get in with goons but that's about it. Should I play with the controller/keyboard for chatting? Anything else? Assume I'm stupid as hell about this. I probably won't even attempt to really play until Friday when I"m off, so I have a few days to get everything figured out. Anything helpful will be appreciated as playing WoW is my only experience with this sort of thing. Thanks.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The first and second post in this thread are well written with a lot of good information. I'm not aware of too many ps3 specific concerns that you might need to know about, other than that I wouldn't expect the game's future expansions to be supported on that platform so be prepared to shift to PC/PS4 if you do really get into it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The game (apparently) is playable even at bleeding edge on a controller, but I'd say keep a wireless keyboard around for chatting.

Make sure you watch the intro movie at the load screen once you've downloaded the game (or look it up on youtube, "end of an era"). It'll help give you some background as to what everyone is talking about with the calamity. And it is some sick-rear end calamity, at that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ignimbrite posted:

The game (apparently) is playable even at bleeding edge on a controller, but I'd say keep a wireless keyboard around for chatting.

Make sure you watch the intro movie at the load screen once you've downloaded the game (or look it up on youtube, "end of an era"). It'll help give you some background as to what everyone is talking about with the calamity. And it is some sick-rear end calamity, at that.

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I don't know a lot at all about this game in general, but I just bought it on the PS3 store for my ps3. I probably won't be getting ps4 for a while so that's why I went ahead and got it. I was getting really tired of WoW but kept craving an MMO, and my laptop is too lovely to run this game. I only bought the base game, ARR, however I will have the funds to upgrade to HW very soon, assuming I even need it just to get started.

My main question is, what do I need to know right now just to get started? I don't know much about this game, or playing it on a console at all. Right now it's downloading in the background, I know to roll a guy on Excalibur to get in with goons but that's about it. Should I play with the controller/keyboard for chatting? Anything else? Assume I'm stupid as hell about this. I probably won't even attempt to really play until Friday when I"m off, so I have a few days to get everything figured out. Anything helpful will be appreciated as playing WoW is my only experience with this sort of thing. Thanks.

Read the OP, it has plenty of stuff. Here's some more:

1) Mouse + Keyboard is better but this game has great controller integration, so if playing with a controller is more comfortable for you that shouldn't be a problem.
2) Races are purely cosmetic, their practical difference in terms of stats is for all intents and purposes insignificant.
3) You can have every class in the same character and change them at will, so don't be afraid of experimenting.
4) Once you're at max level you gain a massive bonus for leveling up other combat classes. This makes it so it's okay to do every quest on your first class if you wish so. It's also okay not to do that in order to ease the tedium of leveling up other classes. However, many side-quests do unlock important features, and some side-quests have pretty great story-lines of their own that you'll likely want to do immediately.
5) There are mini-games like Triple Triad and Chocobo Racing but they're mostly limited. Something bigger than the Darkmoon Faire but lesser than Battle Pets. They're like Battle Pets in design but not in scope. Speaking of Battle Pets there's an upcoming Pets minigame that works like an RTS. These mini-games are not necessary in any way for your main progression as a combat class.
6) Gathering and Crafting for most of FFXIV's history on the other hand kinda integrate with combat, albeit not to the same level of WoW (where you can craft really relevant gear at all times if you have the gold). There's usually some items that can be crafted that will go toe-to-toe with BiS for progression purposes, but they're always obscenely expensive.
7) It's also important to mention that Gathering and Crafting are far less "secondary" traits to your character than in WoW. They're games of their own, and HW made it even more so. They're also incredibly expensive to get into.
8) So basically most things in the game connect with each other, but are self-contained for progression purposes. For example:
* You can get TT cards from dungeon and raid bosses, but they're not top-tier and they're not absolutely necessary, either because there are equivalent cards elsewhere or you can get the same card through other means. They're just more convenient.
* TT on the other hand doesn't interfere in any way with combat progression.
* You don't need to do crafting in order to support your combat class like in WoW. In fact doing so will probably just bankrupt you. People who do crafting usually do it because they like the system. Similarly, it's very rare that something is absolutely required from a combat class in order to do progression in crafting. They're connected here and there, but it's unusual.
* On the other hand every crafting class is linked, which makes the new player dream of "leveling up warrior, armorer and miner" mostly null. Some of the armorer stuff requires components crafted from leatherworkers, etc.
* Ultimately the endgame of almost everything that is not done by a combat class ends up either being cosmetic or self-contained progression.
9) Money expenditure in this game comes in two flavors: Hard-coded stuff that's typically cheap (Teleporting, repairing) and cosmetic stuff that is unfathomably expensive. Because of this you can be caught by surprise when something actually relevant (like Relic Weapons, which was a huge questline in ARR that gave you a constantly questline upgradeable weapon) end up costing more than you have because you bought a pet for 300k thinking you'd never need that money.
10) Glamour (Transmog) is the true endgame.

Edit:

11) Also, play this game with the music turned on, especially during the group bosses you'll see during the main questline.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 29, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
What rotation should I use to collect the adamantite ore with high enough collectability to buy the mining counterfoil? How much perception should I have to do it successfully?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So, my friend just messaged me complaining about how she had to carry the DPS in A1 normal and got upset, which is what inspired this (these) idea(s).

SE would implement a dummy in-game in an instance private zone only available to the player. It would parse the player if they're DPS and if they meet the threshold required, they would get a discount on their subscription, like a dollar or something. Anyone who fails to meet it doesn't incur a consequence. Their subscription will remain normal.

Now, the other idea I have is the same thing, except if they fail to meet the threshold required, they would get an additional 33% extra charge to their subscription fee. It'll be a learning tax. If they fail to meet it again during their second cycle, they'll get tacked again with an additional 33% tax off the base subrate. So basically, if they fail the first time, $20 monthly. If they fail again, $25 monthly and so on. This is assuming they pay $15 for their sub. fee.

I'll think of something for tanks and healers later. What do you think?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I have 651 perc, I don't know what the minimum required would be though.And I believe the rotation is utmost > methodical x4 then single mind > methodical > collect

This is also at 600 gather and 600gp

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you're a tank, please position enemies in an AoE DoT. A shadow flare is good for you, since it puts the enemies on slow. It's more defensive, if anything. Too many tanks are not doing this when I run some content. Also, announce if you're going to do a big pull.

Technogeek posted:

So, my friend just messaged me complaining about how she had to carry the DPS in A1 normal and got upset, which is what inspired this (these) idea(s).

SE would implement a dummy in-game in an instance private zone only available to the player. It would parse the player if they're DPS and if they meet the threshold required, they would get a discount on their subscription, like a dollar or something. Anyone who fails to meet it doesn't incur a consequence. Their subscription will remain normal.

Now, the other idea I have is the same thing, except if they fail to meet the threshold required, they would get an additional 33% extra charge to their subscription fee. It'll be a learning tax. If they fail to meet it again during their second cycle, they'll get tacked again with an additional 33% tax off the base subrate. So basically, if they fail the first time, $20 monthly. If they fail again, $25 monthly and so on. This is assuming they pay $15 for their sub. fee.

:stonk:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Technogeek posted:

of all the poo poo that i've seen you post from the OF this is probably by far the worst idea

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Technogeek posted:

Ah yes, the tried and true method of "actively seeking to start hemorrhaging subscribers to increase player quality."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ps3 is okay, but it runs like poo poo and you'll find that you'll probably have to mash skills sometimes to make sure they go off because if there's a lot happening on screen the PS3 unfortunately can't keep up and it tries to prioritize things. Which, unfortunately your button presses are not one of them at times. As someone who plays exclusively on a console, try to get a PS4 if you're going to do content like Alexander/24 man raids/participate in hunts because you will have a much easier time because it just runs smoother.

Also, turn on cutscene skip. The Ps3 takes forever to load them, and it only skips right away after you've seen the cutscene once so you don't have to worry about missing cutscenes with it enabled.

• Locked thread