Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

nuru posted:

The Food Lab book arrived this weekend and it seems pretty rad so far from what I've read.

I had a look at it in a bookstore I was at yesterday and was very impressed. It seems like the food lab articles on the website slowed down quite a bit over the past year while it was being worked on but having it all published in a beautiful book makes up for it. I'll definitely be ordering a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nuru posted:

The Food Lab book arrived this weekend and it seems pretty rad so far from what I've read.

I didn't realize this existed, so I ordered it based on your in depth review. And Kenji.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone just offered me some :frogsiren: pre-migratory :frogsiren: wild ducks and geese. I'm getting the hookup right away.

Anyone know anything about these?

1 - Is wild duck/goose liver from right before the north-south migration going to have all of the gras on the foie? Will it taste the way I hope?

2 - Is making my own confit crazy? Can I make a duck or goose confit from only one animal, or will I need to collect a bunch of fat to make it happen?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It will probably taste different due to wild diet but should still taste good.

A goose might have enough fat but a duck probably wont. You can always supplement the fat with some neutral oil and by the time it's done cooking your oil will also taste like fowl fat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pile of brown posted:

It will probably taste different due to wild diet but should still taste good.

A goose might have enough fat but a duck probably wont. You can always supplement the fat with some neutral oil and by the time it's done cooking your oil will also taste like fowl fat.

What type of oil would you use? I'm actually kind of leaning towards lard, if I use outside fat, partly because I have a big ol' bucket of mexican lard (manteca :ese:).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Olive oil, and just add whatever you usually add for confit. Alternatively do it sousvide (if you have the gear), and just add bit of fat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I use grapeseed oil for most neutral oil purposes but olive oil would work fine too (regular, not extra virgin). Lard would function just fine but it brings its own flavor to the party, it really depends on the final application whether that would be desireable or not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happy Hat posted:

Olive oil, and just add whatever you usually add for confit. Alternatively do it sousvide (if you have the gear), and just add bit of fat.

This sounds to me like a good excuse to get the gear.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

CommonShore posted:

This sounds to me like a good excuse to get the gear.

You're welcome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happy Hat posted:

You're welcome

Any recommendations for an entry-level circulator? Most of the stuff I'm seeing on Amazon is starting at CA$250. That can't be right.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Any recommendations for an entry-level circulator? Most of the stuff I'm seeing on Amazon is starting at CA$250. That can't be right.
I'm not the right guy to ask there, perhaps Ricola would know better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

I won this one in an NICSA http://smile.amazon.com/Dorkfood-So...ywords=dorkfood

It works great with an analog crockpot and I've been able to sousvide a lot of stuff with it since. However if you want an immersion / circulating one the Anovas only run $70-100 more and you can use them in more than just a crockpot if you want that capability. For me this works just fine and I haven't had a need to upgrade further.

Edit: The Anova mentioned above

http://smile.amazon.com/Anova-Culin...ywords=dorkfood

Edit edit: I'd also recommend not bothering with the vacuum bags until you decide you really need them. I've been able to do just about any application using just ziplock bags and immersing them in water before sealing to drive most of the air/ bubbles out. Point being, you can do a lot without the extra expense until you decide if you want that or not.

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 28, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That dorkfood one isn't on amazon.ca. Gonna look around a bit.

e. .com ships to canada. I kinda maybe just accidentally maybe ordered one. :yum:

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 28, 2015

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

That Works posted:

Edit edit: I'd also recommend not bothering with the vacuum bags until you decide you really need them. I've been able to do just about any application using just ziplock bags and immersing them in water before sealing to drive most of the air/ bubbles out. Point being, you can do a lot without the extra expense until you decide if you want that or not.

I'm going to disagree here. In some ways, a vac sealer has been more of a day-to-day benefit than my sous vide setup. Doubly so after buying the ten-dollar sealer for mason jars, which is now my go-to for spice storage. And -- I'm a bit of a broken record on this topic -- the ease and durability of batch-cooked meat with an actual sealed vac bag has basically cut my weeknight food ordering by 90%.

50 bucks gets you a clamp sealer. Buy bags on amazon, buy a jar sealer (pick wide mouth or regular, and just get jars of that type).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Test Pattern posted:

I'm going to disagree here. In some ways, a vac sealer has been more of a day-to-day benefit than my sous vide setup. Doubly so after buying the ten-dollar sealer for mason jars, which is now my go-to for spice storage. And -- I'm a bit of a broken record on this topic -- the ease and durability of batch-cooked meat with an actual sealed vac bag has basically cut my weeknight food ordering by 90%.

50 bucks gets you a clamp sealer. Buy bags on amazon, buy a jar sealer (pick wide mouth or regular, and just get jars of that type).

I get your point but if they are going in on a budget it's not something that you need to have to get started with to do sousvide and can be upgraded to later. That was the only point I was trying to make, to not let not having a vacuum sealer stop you from getting a sousvide machine.

Edit: Since you like the benefits so much, I'm intrigued. Which vacuum setup do you use?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah I scoffed at a SV setup forever since I didn't want to shell out for a foodsaver. Then I just bought an Anova a couple months ago and have just been using ziploc bags. Haven't had an issue yet. Though, I've just done steaks and chops and poo poo. I figured anything that needed to be puddled for longer than a couple hours might need to be actually sealed all the way. Maybe I'm wrong!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

esperantinc posted:

Yeah I scoffed at a SV setup forever since I didn't want to shell out for a foodsaver. Then I just bought an Anova a couple months ago and have just been using ziploc bags. Haven't had an issue yet. Though, I've just done steaks and chops and poo poo. I figured anything that needed to be puddled for longer than a couple hours might need to be actually sealed all the way. Maybe I'm wrong!

Nah, I've done 36-hour lamb in a ziplock just fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've already been fantasizing about buying a vac sealer, but I'm gonna see how often I sous vizzle first. If I can do it with just that dealie + a value village slow cooker + ziplocks, that's where I'll start. I don't see myself needing vac seal until I start mailing animal parts to my friends in other provinces.

Which could be in as little as three weeks.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Vac sealer is fun to play with and definitely keeps food fresh longer. I've been doing preserved citrus in them, makes it easy to keep them under the brine. We have a totally sweet giant chamber sealer at work though I'm pretty sure it cost upwards of 10 grand.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I use my vac sealer all the damm time, even for silly poo poo like brining stuff.

There was once some unpleasantness with a gallon ziplock full of chicken parts stored in my crisper.

Typing that out made me realize that I currently and have always used my crisper drawers almost exclusively to hold beer. Dark beers in one, lighters beers in the other. I guess maybe I should try keeping veg in there, huh?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pile of brown posted:

Vac sealer is fun to play with and definitely keeps food fresh longer. I've been doing preserved citrus in them, makes it easy to keep them under the brine. We have a totally sweet giant chamber sealer at work though I'm pretty sure it cost upwards of 10 grand.

Please tell me about preserving citrus, I work on a farm/livestock rescue in Florida, and even though we only have 2 grapefruit trees, we always get a bazillion oranges donated to us by everyone with a tree in the area.

Also, vacuum sealers are great. Try the Mason Jar attachment too, It keeps bulk foods fresh and I can even freeze stock and stuff in 'em (carefully). And you can re-use jars so you don't feel bad about wasting plastic.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I get that ziploc bags are cheap, but vacuum sealers aren't exactly expensive. I buy meat in bulk, freeze it in the portions I want, and just toss it in the sous vide bath when I want to eat it.

If you're super worried about food safety you could thaw it in the fridge overnight or whatever but I'm an impatient daredevil.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CommonShore posted:

What type of oil would you use? I'm actually kind of leaning towards lard, if I use outside fat, partly because I have a big ol' bucket of mexican lard (manteca :ese:).

Any time I'm adding fat for charcuterie purposes it's either raw leaf fat or lard. ¡Use la menteca, guey!

For you sciencey types, the $250+ industrial reference Flavor Chemistry and Technology recently released a second edition which is heavily on sale at Amazon, and the first edition is somewhat cheaper than that - though I got it for $25 including shipping a couple of days ago, so you might want to watch EBay and the like for a while if it's the kind of thing you want to pick up for cheap.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 29, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah I was a little surprised to see someone suggesting using olive oil in confit.

y'all aint need that poo poo. ducks make enough of their own fat if you're doing confit sousvide style. if you need more, you should use animal fats or hydrogenated oil / crisco. you want the fat to go solid for storage purposes. if you're doing like vegetables or something I guess it doesn't matter?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The reason why I do it with olive oil when I don't have the fat is because of a conversation I had with an elderly lady at an auberge in Alsace, where I got the most awesome kalbsnieren ever... Our car had broken down only 1km away from her place, which was lying isolated in the Vosges (I had a huge loving rock in one of the brake shoes), and the kids and my wife went up there while I was ineptly trying to remove it (which succeeded despite all the efforts I made).

Anyways - I was discussing this exact problem with her, and she told me that she was using olive-oil for the ducks also, but that it was probably because of her italian ancestry.

So now I've done it a few times, but havn't really thought of looking into wether she was just taking the piss..

So here's 3 different recipes where you submerge the duck in olive oil.

Confit d'anatra: http://www.gustissimo.it/ricette/pollame/confit-d-anatra.htm
Lagasse: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/duck-confit-recipe2.html
Ruhlman: http://ruhlman.com/2009/03/duck-confit-its-whats-for-lunch/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

The reason why I do it with olive oil when I don't have the fat is because of a conversation I had with an elderly lady at an auberge in Alsace, where I got the most awesome kalbsnieren ever... Our car had broken down only 1km away from her place, which was lying isolated in the Vosges (I had a huge loving rock in one of the brake shoes), and the kids and my wife went up there while I was ineptly trying to remove it (which succeeded despite all the efforts I made).

Anyways - I was discussing this exact problem with her, and she told me that she was using olive-oil for the ducks also, but that it was probably because of her italian ancestry.

So now I've done it a few times, but havn't really thought of looking into wether she was just taking the piss..

So here's 3 different recipes where you submerge the duck in olive oil.

Confit d'anatra: http://www.gustissimo.it/ricette/pollame/confit-d-anatra.htm
Lagasse: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/duck-confit-recipe2.html
Ruhlman: http://ruhlman.com/2009/03/duck-confit-its-whats-for-lunch/

Is the duck still alive when you submerge it in oil? (Like an ortolan). It would be a lot easier to do that with oil than with lard or duck fat. The latter two could make quite a mess.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

That Works posted:

Edit: Since you like the benefits so much, I'm intrigued. Which vacuum setup do you use?

The discontinued v2xxx (2490? They're all the same really) line foodsaver. Its successor lists at 70 but I just saw it at Costco for 50. Having internal roll storage and cutter is nice but not truly vital, having an accessory hose is fairly vital, as is a "seal" button, both for making bags from rolls and for sealing before full pressure or before liquid gets to the strip.

Apparenly, most food savers that stop working just need new gaskets, which cost like $10. I've even heard that a lot that show up at goodwill and the like just need a gasket wash-and-dry or a squirt of gasket lube (also fairly cheap) to get life back. There are whole fora devoted to this and I can testify that soap and water followed by a rinse in near-boiling water and thorough air-drying brought my gaskets back to life.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Is the duck still alive when you submerge it in oil? (Like an ortolan). It would be a lot easier to do that with oil than with lard or duck fat. The latter two could make quite a mess.

Don't be stupid, you have to gouge out its eyes and drown it in Armagnac first.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
re: vac sealers. If you've got the money and want to make a solid investment, get a VP112. It's the cheapest chamber sealer on the market, and totally worth it. If you're willing to spend closer to 1k, you can get the VP215

For chamber sealer bags, it's cheapest to get them from ULINE

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Don't be stupid, you have to gouge out its eyes and drown it in Armagnac first.

That sounds like the kind of thing a particularly vicious mediaeval French duke would do to his enemies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing a particularly vicious mediaeval French duke would do to his enemies.

Or Baron Harkonnen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My dorkfood sous vide controller just shipped. I'm going to have to go find a cheap slow cooker. You monsters made me break my "nothing that plugs in" rule for my new apartment.

You monsters.

:yum:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

My dorkfood sous vide controller just shipped. I'm going to have to go find a cheap slow cooker. You monsters made me break my "nothing that plugs in" rule for my new apartment.

You monsters.

:yum:

Remember to get an analog slow cooker. The Dorkfood controller shuts on and off the entire system and if you have a digital pushbutton one you'd have to push the button each time to turn it back on.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Works posted:

Remember to get an analog slow cooker. The Dorkfood controller shuts on and off the entire system and if you have a digital pushbutton one you'd have to push the button each time to turn it back on.

Yeah, I caught that on their website. I'm probably just going to go to a second hand store and find a cheap as gently caress one. I'm not a fan of programmable digital appliances anyway. Whenever I've owned one I've never used the features, and all of the programmable stuff just became an obstacle when the wrong button got pressed.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, I caught that on their website. I'm probably just going to go to a second hand store and find a cheap as gently caress one. I'm not a fan of programmable digital appliances anyway. Whenever I've owned one I've never used the features, and all of the programmable stuff just became an obstacle when the wrong button got pressed.

My local Goodwill always has a half dozen crock pots on the shelf. If you're worried about possibly buying one that doesn't work, and you'll be SV-ing small amounts, Target reliably puts the "single person" crock pot on sale for ~$15. I've never had a problem with Goodwill crock pots as long as the insert is clean and not cracked, which is easy to check at the store, but obviously you'll want to fire it up with a couple cups of water in in well in advance of your SV party just in case you bought a lemon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sweet Custom Van posted:

My local Goodwill always has a half dozen crock pots on the shelf. If you're worried about possibly buying one that doesn't work, and you'll be SV-ing small amounts, Target reliably puts the "single person" crock pot on sale for ~$15. I've never had a problem with Goodwill crock pots as long as the insert is clean and not cracked, which is easy to check at the store, but obviously you'll want to fire it up with a couple cups of water in in well in advance of your SV party just in case you bought a lemon.

Yeah Superstore here has a small one for under $20 too. They market it as a "Sauce warmer" or some poo poo, and I think it has a capacity of about 6 cups. I think I want one that's just a bit bigger, but if all else fails...

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah Superstore here has a small one for under $20 too. They market it as a "Sauce warmer" or some poo poo, and I think it has a capacity of about 6 cups. I think I want one that's just a bit bigger, but if all else fails...

I've seen relatively large analog ones on sale at Walmart / Target for ~$20 fairly frequently.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have no idea why you'd buy a dorkfood in 2015 and use it with a crockpot. You're saving like $40 vs an Anova that actually circulates water.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Preserved citrus: slice into quarters and cost generously with a mix of 3:2 sugar and salt. Let sit a few weeks, but toss them around every once in awhile to make sure they have enough sugar/salt to keep them from molding. When you use them, depending on application you usually only use the cured rind chopped up, and not the actual meat.

I've only ever done lemons and limes but orange should work the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chemmy posted:

I have no idea why you'd buy a dorkfood in 2015 and use it with a crockpot. You're saving like $40 vs an Anova that actually circulates water.

It's around $70 and that's a fair amount of money for some people.