Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe next time we get a Clan scenario they'll have a Piranha.

We had TWO! Piranhas for the "Misjump" Tetatae adventure mission!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I got to pilot one and it was fun as hell until I started hallucinating.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Viva Miriya posted:

I hope it means that goonlance is doomed to die. That and they spent turns shooting cranes instead of the enemy.

...This is our legacy isn't it?

We will forever be 'Those People Who Shot The Cranes'.

:negative:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Theantero posted:

Nah, don't worry, we're just fixating on that for now because there hasn't been much else going on in these first few turns.

I'm sure once the action kicks off it will bring along some much more spectacular cockups to remember you by.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Theantero posted:

It could be worse. I'm still pretty sanguine about your chances.

More seriously, look at it this way - we can't all be Wrestlemechs. I think my group of pilots did damned good - mostly them less MORE (edit: oops) than me - but I admit to being jealous of the guy who got to be Wrestlemech. ;)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 29, 2015

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Theantero posted:

It could be even worse. At least you have cranes. Even Capt Sanguine had his sanguine moments. No one even remembers the lot who failed a literal tutorial mission :smith:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

It could be even worse. At least you have cranes. Even Capt Sanguine had his sanguine moments. No one even remembers the lot who failed a literal tutorial mission :smith:

tell me more

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
It starts here. It does not go well.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Viva Miriya posted:

tell me more

I drove a Sentinel into death
No regrets, I ran around, shot some terrain then gave someone an Armour-Piercing colonoscopy. Rules lawyered out of an embarrassing death, straight into a more embarrassing death. Good times

What do you reckon the worst most underwhelming mech anyone's had to stomp in? There have been a couple buried under the awesome, and sometimes Awesome, PTN builds

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Tran posted:

It starts here. It does not go well.

Oh hey, I remember you lot! That was team Golden Locust!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh hey, I remember you lot! That was team Golden Locust!

Team with the highest number of stale-outs. What was it, 4 missed turns?

I was the angry crab btw.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Z the IVth posted:

Team with the highest number of stale-outs. What was it, 4 missed turns?

I was the angry crab btw.

I recall PTN doing an excellent fluff piece on the stale pilot in question having a seizure.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Theantero posted:

Maybe someone will sweep the leg?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Theantero posted:

It's alright, not everybody can be a cool tank dude, some of us have to be dumb 'Mech jockeys that disengage at the scratch of paint instead of fighting to the end. :colbert:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It could be worse. I'm still pretty sanguine about your chances.

More seriously, look at it this way - we can't all be Wrestlemechs. I think my group of pilots did damned good - mostly them less MORE (edit: oops) than me - but I admit to being jealous of the guy who got to be Wrestlemech. ;)

It's okay, the girl that got to be Wrestlemech is sympathetic to your plight. I'm sure she gave the best show she could, for the sake of the fans.

:smug:

In all seriousness I still get giggly over my time in the command couch. I wouldn't have been able to put on a show without my team though, and together we put on a clinic. I would be absolutely thrilled to drop with each and every one of them again.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the kickstarter campaign is up and running. I'm digging the tiered system they have setup for rewards, and the little victory point tracker for fan rewards. And DFA and melee attacks are standard!

Also, end goal is the Solaris Arena, for more WRESTLEMECH action!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does that mean it isn't having a PvP system unless they get to their top tier? Because that seems silly.

Also, some of the backer rewards involve multiple Stackpole novella.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well Shadowrun is a SP game. And some people like their SP games. I think they are okay with doing limited scope games, and just finish on time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, considering their initial pitch is just a turn-based tactical mech fighting game, it seems fair to gate multiplayer behind "level four" since that's a big commitment from a game design perspective. If they were going to parcel the game's scope out according to their funding I prefer their breakdown of [base game] -> [campaign] -> [open-ended campaign with side missions] -> [multiplayer].

Those top-level backer rewards of getting to appear in a Stackpole novel are a bit iffy though. After the first five chapters of Ghost War I'd pay $10,000 to be taken out of a Stackpole book.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe it's to get more of that eternal "oops" factor there is in that one Warner Doles guy being in the books.

Or was that another guy?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nope, it was Warner Doles who was written into canon and then got a job at Catalyst. Then it was revealed he was a child molester.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That must have been pretty awkward. I wonder how drama-filled the reveal was.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's still not public knowledge on the BT forums, as near as I can tell. Sarna.net still doesn't acknowledge it either. I know that the mod team is aware of it, but the early stance by the top brass was it was that the victim was making everything up to get money out of Doles, so they've quietly smothered all mentions of him since. I have heard a number of staffers were very upset by the way it was handled.

e: Sarna actually scrubbed mention of it from his article. It's "not relevant" apparently

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 29, 2015

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well. That's just peachy then.

I guess I should change topics a little so, I wonder how painful my beloved gigantic infantry armies will be to manage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Does that mean it isn't having a PvP system unless they get to their top tier? Because that seems silly.

Multiplayer is a scourge.

But more seriously, I'm fine with the lack of multiplayer if it's harebrained schemes. They know how to tell a solid story. I hope we get a Shadowrun-style toolkit along with it to craft our own scenarios because I would be all over--

Harebrained Schemes posted:

As we did with our Shadowrun games, we intend to capture the *spirit* of the original tabletop rules, while designing the best PC game we can.

Sold.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 29, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Multiplayer will probably lead to changing designs for "balance" which is nonsense.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Harebrained Schemes posted:

We know there are BattleTech fans that have been burned by other crowdfunding projects, and we’re really sorry you had to go through that.

Double-sold, haha.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double-sold, haha.

:rip: Mechwarrior: Tactics you aborted abomination of an awful cash grab by bankrupt shitters you.

I have a fervent hope that this game lends itself to letting us make campaign style scenarios, basically functioning as a more limited, but more intuitive and prettier, Megamek replacement.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A robust scenario-maker and a better focus on pilot customization would be a good way to set the game apart from MM. It would be a smart move to emphasize it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

A computer version of what we're doing here would be awesome. So I'm on board.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Modding support: NO
They stated that creating a UserOriented Editor is a project on its own. And is not on the table. I guess since it's their first Unity 5 project, that makes a bit of sense. Though one might still be able to do "something" by hacking away at it.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Wow, double their goal in a single day.

Here's hoping it makes it all the way to the sandbox campaign and procedurally generated missions

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All those tiers where they add in poo poo by Stackpole. Like, they should be paying us money to tolerate him. Christ.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

warhammer651 posted:

Wow, double their goal in a single day.

Here's hoping it makes it all the way to the sandbox campaign and procedurally generated missions

Stage 3 basically gets us "Against the Bots" MegaMek without the ridiculous hassle and bookkeeping of "Against the Bots".

Sold.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

All those tiers where they add in poo poo by Stackpole. Like, they should be paying us money to tolerate him. Christ.

I still like Stackpole. He puts out solid product on what is typically a "Hey, we need three novels in the next three months" sort of timeframe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You've got some kind of Stackpole Stockholm thing going on there. I've never seen anything from Stackpole that qualified as a "solid product." At best, he's mediocre for a genre writer, which means he is absolute trash on an actual fair scale of people who write fiction.

At worst, his writing violates geneva conventions and the international human rights treaties, because it qualifies as torture.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leperflesh posted:

At worst, his writing violates geneva conventions and the international human rights treaties, because it qualifies as torture.
His Battletech stuff probably (haven't read any of it,) but he's written one of my favorite Star Wars novels (I Jedi) and his Star Wars stuff is solid.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 29, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That's crazy talk; this is The Internet, where every author/historical figure/human is either a heinous scrublord or tolerable, if abysmally overrated.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Devorum posted:

Stage 3 basically gets us "Against the Bots" MegaMek without the ridiculous hassle and bookkeeping of "Against the Bots".

Sold.

And for a protracted campaign potentially! Want to side up with the Capellans and take the Warcrimes tour on the road? You could! Take your heavy lance and be a light-scout contingent for the Lyrans? Backstab every contract in the true spirit of the Free World's League?

I'm really hoping they get enough funding for stage 3. The higher tier rewards really didn't motivate me to spend money, but they got a $125 pledge out of me. I'll take some great house swag. Hell, if they added a tier that was basically a double-$125 rewards package, I'd pick that up and support them more. I'm just not down for the pilot jacket.

Any of the more experienced tabletop players have an opinion on the mix of 'mechs they've announced so far and how effective/interesting they are? I know the Assaults are looking pretty nice, including the thread-favorite King Crab. And in the Mediums PTN will be elated to see they've got a Shadowhawk.

Also, what weapons are we limited to in 3025? Obviously no clan stuff, but were Gauss Rifles even out yet or were AC20s the only headcapper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
3025's pretty much the core stuff but if the plot goes where I suspect it might finding a Star League Cache with a gauss rifle or w/e wouldn't be out of the question.

• Locked thread