Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Swedish Horror posted:

The thing dragging MGS V down for me is that Miller will not stop commenting on you extracting people. It makes listening to cassette tapes annoying because it's 10 times louder than the cassette audio.

You wanna extract him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Swedish Horror posted:

The thing dragging MGS V down for me is that Miller will not stop commenting on you extracting people. It makes listening to cassette tapes annoying because it's 10 times louder than the cassette audio.

It should be a golden rule of game design that anything you do hundreds of times in a play through should not have repetitive sound cues or dialogue that overshadows the regular audio.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

My thing dragging down MGSV is the amount of people having sissy slapfights about poo poo nobody cares about.

And the thing that drags down Peace Walker for me is that the game doesn't end after you fight the Peace Walker. I fought a giant robot, and that's all I care about, Game. To hell with Paz and all the other poo poo, I am here to fight giant robots and that's all I'm going to do.

There's a bigger "giant robot" in your future if you keep playing

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xoidanor posted:

There's a bigger "giant robot" in your future if you keep playing

Fine, but it'd better be one hell of a giant robot to make me go through that mission with the crappy music overlaying the awful combat section. If I wanted to gun my way through a bunch of regular-rear end human soldiers I'd play literally any other game, dammit. Non-tranq guns are for pussies too weak to hunt giant robots, dammit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Fine, but it'd better be one hell of a giant robot to make me go through that mission with the crappy music overlaying the awful combat section. If I wanted to gun my way through a bunch of regular-rear end human soldiers I'd play literally any other game, dammit. Non-tranq guns are for pussies too weak to hunt giant robots, dammit.

Oh, it is a great fight. You are going to enjoy yourself once you get there.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ryoshi posted:

It should be a golden rule of game design that anything you do hundreds of times in a play through should not have repetitive sound cues or dialogue that overshadows the regular audio.

See also: Borderlands 2 respawn stations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Maybe people are more upset about Quiet because Paz is a semi-secret event that you have to explore the game to find out and NOT showing that in a trailer is sort of the point and why its poignant.
She was in the E3 trailer actually!

The trailers collectively gave away literally every story beat, even cut content. Wish I hadn't watched them :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

She was in the E3 trailer actually!

The trailers collectively gave away literally every story beat, even cut content. Wish I hadn't watched them :(

Welp, I'm glad I never watched that trailer then. That entire thing was a huge downer though :(

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Screaming Idiot posted:

My thing dragging down MGSV is the amount of people having sissy slapfights about poo poo nobody cares about.

And the thing that drags down Peace Walker for me is that the game doesn't end after you fight the Peace Walker. I fought a giant robot, and that's all I care about, Game. To hell with Paz and all the other poo poo, I am here to fight giant robots and that's all I'm going to do.

Basically I want more games like Shadow of the Colossus, except with giant robots, because fighting giant robots on foot is never not fun. And Platinum should make those games, because Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is The Greatest Game.

Your dream giant robot killing game by Platinum exists, it's called Vanquish. You might also want to try Binary Domain.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Screaming Idiot posted:

MGSV is gonna be the Dark Souls of this version of the thread.

Speaking of which, there's side ops later in the game where you have to take out groups of puppet soldiers. You can cut loose and go as loud as you want in those fights, but the game always times it so I have a delivery truck with two guards making a pit stop in those areas and they usually arrive as I fire a few rounds. Now I've gotta sniff out two guards on alert when I just want to clear the area as fast as possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Action Tortoise posted:

Speaking of which, there's side ops later in the game where you have to take out groups of puppet soldiers. You can cut loose and go as loud as you want in those fights, but the game always times it so I have a delivery truck with two guards making a pit stop in those areas and they usually arrive as I fire a few rounds. Now I've gotta sniff out two guards on alert when I just want to clear the area as fast as possible.

Puppet soldiers attack anyone on sight. Anyone.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Honestly if you babies wanna run me out of the thread then whatever, but I can't decide what is funnier:

1) That people keep engaging me and yet expect me to just bow out
2) The idea that decent female representation in videogames is "poo poo no one cares about", or
3) Quiet's design being loving stupid isn't something I'm allowed to say is dragging a game down

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The problem isn't with what you're saying, it's that you're being loving insufferable while saying it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Basically I want more games like Shadow of the Colossus, except with giant robots, because fighting giant robots on foot is never not fun. And Platinum should make those games, because Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is The Greatest Game.
Freedom Wars is basically Monster Hunter with giant robots. It's got issues of its own, but it really nails that part.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly if you babies wanna run me out of the thread then whatever, but I can't decide what is funnier:

2) The idea that decent female representation in videogames is "poo poo no one cares about", or
3) Quiet's design being loving stupid isn't something I'm allowed to say is dragging a game down
I bet you don't even care about the misandry of Snake's sexy rear end wiggle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Stupid sexy Snake.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's disgusting how I can take off Snake's shirt and see his exposed nipples whenever I want. And don't even get me started on how all your enemies aside from some skulls are all men!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ShootaBoy posted:

The problem isn't with what you're saying, it's that you're being loving insufferable while saying it.
I thought that was Naga's gimmick. :(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lady Naga posted:

Lady Naga, relax.

1) It's been nothing but a back and forth over whether or not the Skulls are good bosses. Some people don't like them and some people do. Whatever.

2) No one's said this. I'm pretty sure whoever brought up Paz was more about how they have a closer tie to past games than Quiet but the former is hidden away in a place the player may never find in-game.

3) You can totally say that here. Again, whatever.

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly if you babies wanna run me out of the thread then whatever

Just post some things you don't like about whatever video game you're on atm and if people disagree with your viewpoint, ok. This ain't a firing squad with you blindfolded smoking a cig, it's just a place where people can bitch about games and move on.

I'm being serious on the Dark Souls comparison, btw. I'll reiterate what I said before:

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't wanna limit the thread on what we can complain about. If we can all agree that there are some annoying parts to this perfect game and voice them without the :smuggo: back and forth I think we should be cool.

Let's just talk games, ok?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I liked Quiet. I wish you could choose her alternative outfits straight off the bat though, and the lack of Snake having a giant thong as one of his alternative costumes is really dragging it down.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Exactly.

:smith:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's a shame that those sunglasses ended up costing Kaz an arm and a leg

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

MGS5 has a genuinely saddening lack of man-rear end. Ishmael's butt in the prologue barely counts.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Thinky Whale posted:

MGS5 has a genuinely saddening lack of man-rear end. Ishmael's butt in the prologue barely counts.

Yeah, I was legitimately hoping that there'd be a Snake skin/outfit that was almost the exact same as Quiet's. They could have been matching bros, strutting around with their butt cheeks flapping majestically in the wind.

Nope, Snake gets power armour instead.

:smith: Kojima, why.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lady Naga posted:

I'm just going to take this brief moment to mention I just Sranked that Skulls mission you were bitching about in one go and didn't even get hit fighting them. They went down like bitches too. I still really don't see what the issue with them is other than they're kind of uninteresting zombie men.

Anyway really weird nitpick with MGSV is that Take On Me is getting stuck in my head every time I hear it now. All day long that's all that's going on inside my head and it's beginning to hurt. Quiet kind of bugs me too, her AI that is. I mean being able to tell her to tranq or kill a dude is cool and all, but it's faster if I just do it on my own most of the time. At least she hits dudes that spot me. I still prefer the dog though, he spots all the enemies so they don't sneak up on me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

I'm just going to take this brief moment to mention I just Sranked that Skulls mission you were bitching about in one go and didn't even get hit fighting them. They went down like bitches too. I still really don't see what the issue with them is other than they're kind of uninteresting zombie men.

Dude don't provoke them.

The Skulls are bullet sponges and the game gives you plenty of options to take them down. A Hungry Mouth is totally on point about the same complaints made in HR also apply to Phantom Pain but the game is good enough to gloss over those flaws. If the mandatory fight wasn't madatory no one would care.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Because Kojima only wants lady characters he can jack it to. And that is my thing dragging the Metal Gear Solid franchise down, especially the "first person view to ogle women" but in some of the cut scenes in MGS3.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Because Kojima only wants lady characters he can jack it to. And that is my thing dragging the Metal Gear Solid franchise down, especially the "first person view to ogle women" but in some of the cut scenes in MGS3.
The Boss, Strangelove and, uh, EE do okay I think

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Lady Naga posted:

This is the internet you don't have to bow out you just have to walk away from the computer/phone

Lady Naga posted:

If female representation in videogames is a problem that registers on your radar then ohhhh boy

Lady Naga posted:

I like boobies and me and hideo like butts, your prudish attitudes are against his vision

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

Eh, achievements are only as dumb as the developers make them. If it's something meaningless like "you beat level 1!" or something banal that you have to grind for like "you killed 60,000 zombies!" then yeah they're stupid and bad. But if the achievements are actually for interesting challenges like killing a boss without taking damage, or clearing a level really quickly, then I think they add a bit of replay value and give the word a little bit of actual meaning. Beating Shovel Knight in 90 minutes or without falling into a hole is an achievement, but collecting 25,000 total gold in the same is not.

The best achievements are for doing unusual things, because it's a decent way for them to say "you wouldn't have expected us to think of this, but we did". I can't think of any particularly great examples off the top of my head, but Shadowrun Dragonfall has one called That’s Not How You Use This which you get for killing someone with a sniper rifle at point blank range.

The ones that are for beating a certain amount of the game or for tracking which choices people make I can see the value of. The ones that require you to do some particular thing way more times than could possibly be fun are the worst ("get 10,000 kills with the worst gun in the game" or whatever), especially if the thing it requires you to do is especially tedious or time-consuming.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Shadowrun: Hong Kong has one for dying in the tutorial/intro.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked Shadow of Mordor's achievements...well, most of them. They're mostly things that involve using the brand and power struggle system the game has to do some fun stuff, like having five bodyguards of a warchief instantly betray him, or poisoning a chieftain at his own feast. Some of them are kind of dumb, like freeing 30 slaves in three minutes while mounted, and of course there's the prerequisite ones that involve collecting all the things.

It really bugs me when games have achievements tied to online stuff, or worst, when they're tied to something someone else does online. Far Cry 4 has one to do a vehicle takedown while riding in the passenger side of someone's car, something you can only do online. I've found it nearly impossible to do unless the other person knows that you want to do it. And also they have to be willing to try to do it, which means driving around hunting for someone in a car you can drive up next to without them escaping. It's frustrating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tiggum posted:

The best achievements are for doing unusual things, because it's a decent way for them to say "you wouldn't have expected us to think of this, but we did". I can't think of any particularly great examples off the top of my head, but Shadowrun Dragonfall has one called That’s Not How You Use This which you get for killing someone with a sniper rifle at point blank range.

The ones that are for beating a certain amount of the game or for tracking which choices people make I can see the value of. The ones that require you to do some particular thing way more times than could possibly be fun are the worst ("get 10,000 kills with the worst gun in the game" or whatever), especially if the thing it requires you to do is especially tedious or time-consuming.

Cities Skylines apparently has one for clicking a police building one hundred times in a row. Which... okay, on one hand that's hilarious, but on the other hand what the gently caress.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cleretic posted:

Cities Skylines apparently has one for clicking a police building one hundred times in a row. Which... okay, on one hand that's hilarious, but on the other hand what the gently caress.

Wonder if someone did that in playtesting.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

I'm imagining a 40-something old woman doing this while yelling in the most Filipino accent, "Pulis, Pulis! PULIS!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why are costumes hidden behind gameplay anyway? I don't mean different armors and poo poo that actually has an effect on stats or anything, but actual costumes. What's it gonna hurt if I can just wear the stuff as soon as gameplay starts?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
My friend used origin game time on titanfall so i redownloaded it to play with him. Its actually Fun and has Coops, but the thing that drags it down the most is that its very clearly made by people who made call of duty and its not not call of duty enough. If they had just stepped a little further away from their comfort zone, it might have actually been Really Good.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I went back to try to do some of the achievements for Doom 3: BFG (and to finish Resurrection of Evil), but a lot of them are multiplayer, and I remembered why I never finished RoE. The sentry bots in the game are assholes. They're constantly in the way, and they don't care where you are. If I'm shotgunning a demon in the face, it will try to get its shots in as well, through me. If there's a barrel next to it, it will shoot through it to hit an enemy on the other side and kill itself (this is a game over). One time, I died throwing a grenade because the bot rushed by me at the wrong second and the grenade blew up in my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
iD Software spent years claiming "Doom 3 is not too dark! Shooting at enemies that you can't actually see is a fun mechanic!" and yet the very first thing they did with the BFG edition was make the whole game brighter and attach flashlights to all the weapons. I'm glad they finally fixed it but they still pulled their collective head out of their arse about eight years too late.