Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
HOW THE gently caress DID THE CHIEFS ONLY GET 75 YARDS RUSHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

That loss was on everyone except for like 4 players but good lord I am ready to move onto another QB. Even if he is worse he will at least be more entertaining, with higher highs and lower lows

Can I interest you in one C. Kaepernick?

Not that I think it would make this poo poo team worse, it would just be p funny.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

TubeStank posted:

Because when you are down 3+ TDs you stop running the ball, and start passing to try and score faster so you can catch up and win.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Not that I think it would make this poo poo team worse, it would just be p funny.

Was more thinking the draft, you guys have fun with him

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
packer salope

Pron on VHS posted:

Because when you are down 3+ TDs you stop running the ball, and start passing to try and score faster so you can catch up and win.

yes well a pass from smith is essentially a run so...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Andy Reid once tried to trade for Kaepernick when he was in Philly, true story

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TubeStank posted:

Mike Daniels played out of his mind

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Please be OK Davante and Quarless.

Also, HHCD may kill someone before the end of the year

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what really hosed over the Chiefs was getting the #1 pick in a draft class that produced these QBs:

EJ Manuel
Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert
BJ Daniels
Sean Renfree

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

TubeStank posted:

packer salope

It's good to see Aaron has a photobomb buddy since Flynn left.

Also this is the best one ever.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

adaz posted:

He had a bad half but he didn't throw the game away on picks or fumbles. He was also completely destroyed by the pass rush (7 sacks, 8 hits) and didn't have a lot of help. I mean, it was a bad game of his sure but putting this on the QB is a bit much.

I don't know the exact number, but I'd wager at least 4 of those sacks were of the "drop back for 4 seconds, first two reads not wide open, run around in circles in pocket and either get sacked or scramble to sidelines and slide behind the LOS instead of throw the ball away for a 'sack'" variety

Hard to tell exactly how much is on him for holding the ball without seeing more all 22 video of the game but I'd wager it's mostly on him. It's also really hard to scheme a passing game around a guy with a noodle arm where no defense has to respect anything beyond 15 yards.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

what really hosed over the Chiefs was getting the #1 pick in a draft class that produced these QBs:

EJ Manuel
Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert
BJ Daniels
Sean Renfree

I remember right before that draft insisting they should spend the #1 pick on any qb because it was a waste otherwise. The #1 pick did turn out to be a waste anyway but goddamn that list is bleak.

Menamino posted:

I don't know the exact number, but I'd wager at least 4 of those sacks were of the "drop back for 4 seconds, first two reads not wide open, run around in circles in pocket and either get sacked or scramble to sidelines and slide behind the LOS instead of throw the ball away for a 'sack'" variety

Hard to tell exactly how much is on him for holding the ball without seeing more all 22 video of the game but I'd wager it's mostly on him. It's also really hard to scheme a passing game around a guy with a noodle arm where no defense has to respect anything beyond 15 yards.

At least 3 of those were coverage sacks sure, but those still count if the receivers can't get open. The start of the third quarter had back 2 back sacks that he could do nothing to prevent his oline was blown up by the time he got the handoff

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Big props to whoever drew up our game plan to make sure the ball got out quickly, made our o-line look passable for once.

Rodgers/Cobb/Jones were all lights out, hopefully our wounded get better during the week.

1st half defense was amazing, 2nd half you could see us gradually dropping into the prevent, which I understand the rationale and letting our rookies get some play time, but goddamn is it frustrating to watch.

49ers next, so many many more graphics/videos about the 2005 draft again :rolleyes:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pron on VHS posted:

lol don't get mad, I am kidding. your offense looks really good, be happy

Lots of people melting down this week...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think Reid is bad.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

cheesetriangles posted:

I think Reid is bad.

I didn't even think this was a debatable opinion.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm a little late on this, but I don't know how to describe my emotions about the Browns.

I'm not foaming mad or anything. Rather I find myself annoyed and disheartened with the product. I look at the NFL right now and I see a lot of "game changers" (forgive me for using that statement), you know..guys that are able to produce some form of a mismatch and the defense has to game plan for.

Generally a successful NFL team has about one or two on the offense with a franchise (or at least "Andy Dalton"-level perhaps?) and then a drat good pass rusher on defense among other things.

I just...don't see it right now with this team. There's not a single "play maker" that would start for another NFL team. Seriously. Not one. The single closest one you got is Travis Benjamin, and the dude would be a 2nd stringer on pretty much any other NFL team. You can't get away with that in the NFL. Unless you're the Patriots and you have Tom loving Brady chucking the ball? You're not winning any games with no one at reciever.

That's on this team and it's stupid rear end philosphy for not making moves. You can't just keep trading out of the Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins's of the world all to trade down and pick up some mediocre talent that will probably be out of the league in 3 years. You put yourself in this position by consistently doing this poo poo.

Starting McCown is also loving pointless at the point. Why loving bother? I could understand playing the guy if you were a top flight NFL team that had talent out the rear end and it just so happens? Your franchise QB is hurt. But the Browns are not even remotely in that position.

Start Manziel and try to see if there's some raw guy you can take a flier on right now or trade for someone. You may as well check to see if the guy has "it" so you can narrow down next year's draft to either be some form of a reciever or an elite pass rusher.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm a little late on this, but I don't know how to describe my emotions about the Browns.

I'm not foaming mad or anything. Rather I find myself annoyed and disheartened with the product. I look at the NFL right now and I see a lot of "game changers" (forgive me for using that statement), you know..guys that are able to produce some form of a mismatch and the defense has to game plan for.

Generally a successful NFL team has about one or two on the offense with a franchise (or at least "Andy Dalton"-level perhaps?) and then a drat good pass rusher on defense among other things.

I just...don't see it right now with this team. There's not a single "play maker" that would start for another NFL team. Seriously. Not one. The single closest one you got is Travis Benjamin, and the dude would be a 2nd stringer on pretty much any other NFL team. You can't get away with that in the NFL. Unless you're the Patriots and you have Tom loving Brady chucking the ball? You're not winning any games with no one at reciever.

That's on this team and it's stupid rear end philosphy for not making moves. You can't just keep trading out of the Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins's of the world all to trade down and pick up some mediocre talent that will probably be out of the league in 3 years. You put yourself in this position by consistently doing this poo poo.

Starting McCown is also loving pointless at the point. Why loving bother? I could understand playing the guy if you were a top flight NFL team that had talent out the rear end and it just so happens? Your franchise QB is hurt. But the Browns are not even remotely in that position.

Start Manziel and try to see if there's some raw guy you can take a flier on right now or trade for someone. You may as well check to see if the guy has "it" so you can narrow down next year's draft to either be some form of a reciever or an elite pass rusher.

I would take Travis Benjamin as a returner/slot receiver on my team in a heartbeat. My team is garbage tho.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TubeStank posted:

giants whyu did you cut james jones

He asked to be released when he realized he wouldn't have a huge role in the offense. We had OBJ, we had Randle, and eventually Cruz, Jones was the odd man out. The only reason they kept Preston Parker instead of Jones was because Jones wouldn't play special teams and Parker would. I bet Reese regrets that one now.

There just wasn't a place for him in NY, he was the odd man out despite being better than Randle and possibly better than Cruz (jury still out on him)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Free JFF

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Catfish Stevens posted:

I would take Travis Benjamin as a returner/slot receiver on my team in a heartbeat. My team is garbage tho.

He's not bad. I mean there was always that 2001-2003 era Browns teams that pretty much had 4-5 recievers of his talent (Who would be 2nd and 3rd options on a decent team those years) and they were able to at least be decent passing wise. (Quincy Morgan, Dennis Northcut, Andre Davis and Kevin Johnson). He reminds me a bit of a guy that would be maybe just a tad bit in that talent range I think.

But that's it.

The NFL is passing the ball successfully and often. I've seen the Browns only really go to that plan twice within my lifetime. Once was when Bruce Arians was OC and the other time was that weird 2007 season where they had Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurevicious and Kellen Winslow looking like an elite receiving corp of some sort.

They keep thinking that running the ball and stopping the run is going to win them titles. That is not going to happen. When even the STEELERS and the RAVENS are going more passing oriented? It's time to follow suit.

e: And CHRIST the last two time the Browns even sniffed a Super Bowl? They were a passing team. The Kardiac Kids and the 86-89 Kosar teams were very much successful because of a mix of a good QB and a decent receiving corp. (also Ozzie Newsome creating mismatches, and a good pass rush!)

Stop it with the Ground and Pound. This ain't the loving Big Ten.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's not bad. I mean there was always that 2001-2003 era Browns teams that pretty much had 4-5 recievers of his talent (Who would be 2nd and 3rd options on a decent team those years) and they were able to at least be decent passing wise. (Quincy Morgan, Dennis Northcut, Andre Davis and Kevin Johnson). He reminds me a bit of a guy that would be maybe just a tad bit in that talent range I think.

But that's it.

The NFL is passing the ball successfully and often. I've seen the Browns only really go to that plan twice within my lifetime. Once was when Bruce Arians was OC and the other time was that weird 2007 season where they had Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurevicious and Kellen Winslow looking like an elite receiving corp of some sort.

They keep thinking that running the ball and stopping the run is going to win them titles. That is not going to happen. When even the STEELERS and the RAVENS are going more passing oriented? It's time to follow suit.

Serious answer: Pettine is coaching for his job and he probably, under some delusion, thinks that a veteran like McCown gives him the best chance to win and salvage enough wins to get another shot. If Manziel flames out it's going to come back on him for not going with the 'safe' McCown option.

Personally I know several Browns fans and they all want JFF to ball out, or at least be given a long rear end leash to do so. I do too. I mean the guy obviously has some chemistry with Benjamin, just go with it. Your ownership and FO is so toxic that your coach can't afford or doesn't have the balls to take that kind of risk though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Borsche69 posted:

Lots of people melting down this week...

i feel like you're some kind of robot that does not quite understand human emotions yet

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Just wait until Favre retires. The Pack will be back to sucking like when I was a kid

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Just wait until Rodgers retires. The Pack will be back to sucking like when I was a kid

how freaking old are you grandpa

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TubeStank posted:

Don't worry, Kaepernick is gonna get 200 yards rushing next week

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

adaz posted:

Did Alex Smith give up 24 points to Aaron Rodgers in the first half?
When he can't extend some drives with the D being a little vulnerable, yes. When your D gets you a near midfield spot after getting a 4th down stop, you go 3 and out well yeah.

Alex Smith isn't the sole problem, but he's a major problem and his weak arm and iffy decision making doesn't help his line.

It's like Andy has a bad memory and doesn't remember the good days with a McNabb and seems to be fond of one Detmer. gently caress vertical passing.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
It's starting to get obvious at this point that Andy is calling all the vertical passing due to Smith's limitations against good defenses, especially when he has on average 2 seconds or less until a player is in his face.

Reid just looked worn out and tired at his press conference. It's starting to look like he's getting too old for this poo poo and he definitely leveraged most of his time here to a noodle-armed fraidy cat QB. Not the way Reid wanted to go out I'm sure.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Infidel Castro posted:

It's good to see Aaron has a photobomb buddy since Flynn left.

Also this is the best one ever.

Just OMG that is so CUTE how he does that.

Aaron is soooooo silly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dolphins fans: Do you lay any of the blame on your man Tannehill?

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord

FuzzySkinner posted:

But that's it.

e: And CHRIST the last two time the Browns even sniffed a Super Bowl? They were a passing team. The Kardiac Kids and the 86-89 Kosar teams were very much successful because of a mix of a good QB and a decent receiving corp. (also Ozzie Newsome creating mismatches, and a good pass rush!)

Stop it with the Ground and Pound. This ain't the loving Big Ten.

while i agree that ray needs to loving draft a wide reciever i dont think the WR group is the reason the browns lost. they have been preforming pretty well but our defense has been bi polar as hell. not getting a single sack is really bad, especially when our secondary which is supposed to be one of the best in the league is getting torched constantly. i'll give credit to the raiders offense but the browns defense needs to show up. it was like this early last year too.

Lard on Fork
Feb 22, 2006
I mean I will holler at it
Aaron Rodgers: not so good it seems!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/29/why-aaron-rodgers-earned-a-slightly-negative-grade/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Dolphins fans: Do you lay any of the blame on your man Tannehill?

I don't think it's Tannehill's fault that they're Dolphins fans.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

Ramadu posted:

how freaking old are you grandpa

Probably old enough to have watched Majik QB the Pack

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PFF is an enormous fraud.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Some people have called my strong opinion on Alex Smith a "gimmick". I'm here to tell you that it never was. Sometimes my powerful emotions got the better of me and I put forth alternatives that might not be very thought out. However, I have always believed that Alex Smith is the primary reason for the Chiefs failures since he was acquired. His lack of skill causes the defense to be exhausted by the end of games and especially by the end of the season. He can't extend drives and he can't adjust his play. Once he's figured out by an above average D, the game is basically decided because he can't adjust. Thankfully, he has Charles, Kelce, and now Maclin to rely entirely on. One of them goes down and it's pretty much a season because Smith will not be able to rely on anyone else as much as those three. This is Smith's biggest failing. He basically falls apart if everything isn't perfect. His success in San Francisco was entirely because most of the team around him was bailing his worthless rear end out. He's a liability. He can't throw downfield at all. Reid has had to effectively ruin his playcalling scheme to accomodate Smith's lack of ability. Dorsey needs to get ahead of this and cut Smith as soon as it's possible. Otherwise, he'll just be like Pioli. The fans will turn against him and send him packing unless he makes the change that he needs to make.

Firing Smith at the end of the year makes the most sense, especially if you consider that he's only getting worse. Sure we'd be on the hook for a lot of dead money, but starting Smith is basically wasting money anyway so we should just do it. It would clear up some money to re-sign our other good players. I mean, I'd like for him to out on his rear end today but I understand that it's not actually very feasible. However, the sooner we move on, the sooner we can begin to rebuild the offense and get us some new young talent at the position. With a better QB, I think we have a very good offense that can achieve a better balance with the defense. That's a well-rounded team! Chase Daniel is the best and most realistic option for the moment, but his deal is up at the end of the year so we will need someone else after him. I'm not 100% sure who the best option would be in the draft but I think that after this game, Dorsey needs to be looking at all of them. That Goff kid, Cardale, hell even Hackenburg. Keep a close eye on them and get ready for the option of picking one of them. Maybe he busts and maybe he's worse than Smith, but we need to take the risk and find out. We need to move on.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Just OMG that is so CUTE how he does that.

Aaron is soooooo silly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Notable Dom X posted:

while i agree that ray needs to loving draft a wide reciever i dont think the WR group is the reason the browns lost. they have been preforming pretty well but our defense has been bi polar as hell. not getting a single sack is really bad, especially when our secondary which is supposed to be one of the best in the league is getting torched constantly. i'll give credit to the raiders offense but the browns defense needs to show up. it was like this early last year too.

The Raiders are actually on a good path it seems.

Kahil Mack looked good, Amari Cooper was a good pick up for them (ROY Candidate perhaps?0 and Derek Carr is a star in the making. If by design or purely by accident they're starting to stumble on the formula to be a successful NFL team. Also the Crabtree signing made me shake my drat head as soon it was announced, I knew our secondary was going to be in for a long day.

Same with how the Jets beat our asses in week 1. Fitzpatrick is a pretty mediocre QB, but the dude had Brandon Marshall and other weapons to throw at to take advantage of our massive holes.

As for Farmer himself? I'm in the camp that guy needs to be fired. I hate to say that so early, but thus far he's been dreadful in the draft.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Lol they are sure hemming an hawing trying to defend a model that obviously is broken.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

Some people have called my strong opinion on Alex Smith a "gimmick". I'm here to tell you that it never was. Sometimes my powerful emotions got the better of me and I put forth alternatives that might not be very thought out. However, I have always believed that Alex Smith is the primary reason for the Chiefs failures since he was acquired. His lack of skill causes the defense to be exhausted by the end of games and especially by the end of the season. He can't extend drives and he can't adjust his play. Once he's figured out by an above average D, the game is basically decided because he can't adjust. Thankfully, he has Charles, Kelce, and now Maclin to rely entirely on. One of them goes down and it's pretty much a season because Smith will not be able to rely on anyone else as much as those three. This is Smith's biggest failing. He basically falls apart if everything isn't perfect. His success in San Francisco was entirely because most of the team around him was bailing his worthless rear end out. He's a liability. He can't throw downfield at all. Reid has had to effectively ruin his playcalling scheme to accomodate Smith's lack of ability. Dorsey needs to get ahead of this and cut Smith as soon as it's possible. Otherwise, he'll just be like Pioli. The fans will turn against him and send him packing unless he makes the change that he needs to make.

Firing Smith at the end of the year makes the most sense, especially if you consider that he's only getting worse. Sure we'd be on the hook for a lot of dead money, but starting Smith is basically wasting money anyway so we should just do it. It would clear up some money to re-sign our other good players. I mean, I'd like for him to out on his rear end today but I understand that it's not actually very feasible. However, the sooner we move on, the sooner we can begin to rebuild the offense and get us some new young talent at the position. With a better QB, I think we have a very good offense that can achieve a better balance with the defense. That's a well-rounded team! Chase Daniel is the best and most realistic option for the moment, but his deal is up at the end of the year so we will need someone else after him. I'm not 100% sure who the best option would be in the draft but I think that after this game, Dorsey needs to be looking at all of them. That Goff kid, Cardale, hell even Hackenburg. Keep a close eye on them and get ready for the option of picking one of them. Maybe he busts and maybe he's worse than Smith, but we need to take the risk and find out. We need to move on.

Cutting him next year, even Post June 1, nets us like 26M in dead money. Or we can pay him 17M in cap space. May as well just keep him on the roster and see if we can trade him possibly. Resigning Daniel would be priority while we continue to bumble through attempting to draft a QB. If we plan to pay our other guys and resign them with a couple creative bonus structures, we could be alright.

I cannot fathom a world where I don't hold this opinion by the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Raiders are actually on a good path it seems.

Kahil Mack looked good, Amari Cooper was a good pick up for them (ROY Candidate perhaps?0 and Derek Carr is a star in the making. If by design or purely by accident they're starting to stumble on the formula to be a successful NFL team. Also the Crabtree signing made me shake my drat head as soon it was announced, I knew our secondary was going to be in for a long day.

Same with how the Jets beat our asses in week 1. Fitzpatrick is a pretty mediocre QB, but the dude had Brandon Marshall and other weapons to throw at to take advantage of our massive holes.

As for Farmer himself? I'm in the camp that guy needs to be fired. I hate to say that so early, but thus far he's been dreadful in the draft.

i think its too early for farmer. the gilbert pick really hurts though, especially with how many good WRs were around. Im more worried about pett honestly. if you are a defensive minded coach, and our defense is talented then they need to be in every game. there were times when amari cooper was being matched up with donte loving whitner. how does that happen? the run game is lagging despite all the talent on the o line too. its very frustrating right now but it is early. its just disappointing because we came out flat on defense the first half of last year and then when it came together it was glorious. although the offense was dead by then. i thought after a whole off season they would have things cleaned up but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Locked thread