Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
No.But larger creatures like Moose or Bears take up 4 tiles instead of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

No.But larger creatures like Moose or Bears take up 4 tiles instead of 1.

That's cool, though when I think of larger creatures that should occupy multiple tiles I think of dragons and giants. If a moose is 4 tiles, how many tiles should be any of truly large creatures?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

That's cool, though when I think of larger creatures that should occupy multiple tiles I think of dragons and giants. If a moose is 4 tiles, how many tiles should be any of truly large creatures?

Knowing Illwinter?

What do you mean there's a difference in size between a dragon big enough to be mistaken for an island and an elephant?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
To be fair these are Dominions elephants gently caress knows how big they are.

The howdah on top could be an artistic interpretation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That is true, only in Dominions are Elephants considered a prey species. By giant elephant-sized hunting spiders :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That's Dominions for you. The game were flimsy bird people are size 3 because they have big wings.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Valkyries should have wings imo

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
And submachineguns

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
they should be transforming war machines

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Cataclysmreloaded ended this week as a win for me. By the end, I was summoning hundreds of endgame demons, Hidden in Sand, Hidden in Snow, Ether Gate, Wraith Lords and Worm Mages every turn.. There was nothing to be learned from this game - I just stuck around longer than everyone else.

Let's not play this mod anymore.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

So I'm playing a newbie 12 man game as EA R'lyeh and was looking for some general advice/ideas with them. I know the real answer is, "don't play EA R'lyeh they're awful" but I really want so see how far I can make it with them.

I understand mind lords are my best commanders, and that my pretender has to have Air 1 water 1 at least so someone in my faction can actually craft fish amulets to let them waddle on land, but what about some of their other units? Lobos seems to be great arrow catchers and swarmers to block up my army line while mind lords and slave mages cast spells, are shambler thralls worth the investment? So far the iron equipment rusting one turn after I make the 'better' slave troops if I don't move them up on land has me hesitating to use them for anything except chaff to clear independents early game - are they ever worth using in place of mindless units controlled by aboleths and mind lords later on?

The research makes me want to go in a couple of different places. Obviously I need construction 4 for my fish amulets, but after that I'm unsure which spell school would give my army the most benefit. There's things in thaumaturgy, evocation and conjuration that all appeal to me but I still don't feel 100% certain about which one would be most important for me. Anyone have any ideas?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Turtle and cast baleful star at people

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Play EA atlantis instead and fool yourself it'll be easy to get on land.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Scoops posted:

So I'm playing a newbie 12 man game as EA R'lyeh and was looking for some general advice/ideas with them. I know the real answer is, "don't play EA R'lyeh they're awful" but I really want so see how far I can make it with them.

I understand mind lords are my best commanders, and that my pretender has to have Air 1 water 1 at least so someone in my faction can actually craft fish amulets to let them waddle on land, but what about some of their other units? Lobos seems to be great arrow catchers and swarmers to block up my army line while mind lords and slave mages cast spells, are shambler thralls worth the investment? So far the iron equipment rusting one turn after I make the 'better' slave troops if I don't move them up on land has me hesitating to use them for anything except chaff to clear independents early game - are they ever worth using in place of mindless units controlled by aboleths and mind lords later on?

The research makes me want to go in a couple of different places. Obviously I need construction 4 for my fish amulets, but after that I'm unsure which spell school would give my army the most benefit. There's things in thaumaturgy, evocation and conjuration that all appeal to me but I still don't feel 100% certain about which one would be most important for me. Anyone have any ideas?

you dont need fish amulets anymore . shambler skin will make your dudes what have body slot able to walk on land now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

you dont need fish amulets anymore . shambler skin will make your dudes what have body slot able to walk on land now
Anyone with a body slot in Rlyeh is already amphibious afaik.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Critical mass of lobos backed up by as many mind blasters as you can muster is key.

You can see how this might fall apart once you want to go on land.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Also illwinter seems to have forgotten about their new ocean rust mechanic because half of EA rlyehs stuff will just start rusting immediately including your starting commander + troops

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LordLeckie posted:

Also illwinter seems to have forgotten about their new ocean rust mechanic because half of EA rlyehs stuff will just start rusting immediately including your starting commander + troops
If only a poster on these forums had made a mod about that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Cataclysmreloaded ended this week as a win for me. By the end, I was summoning hundreds of endgame demons, Hidden in Sand, Hidden in Snow, Ether Gate, Wraith Lords and Worm Mages every turn.. There was nothing to be learned from this game - I just stuck around longer than everyone else.

Lies AI yellow won.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Lies AI yellow won.
It still had some territory at the end of the game

also it was the inspiration for Deism

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Of course a mage scripted to cast Summon Earthpower and Earthquake, with 3 gems, will use one of the gems to reduce the fatigue cost of SE :suicide:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Of course a mage scripted to cast Summon Earthpower and Earthquake, with 3 gems, will use one of the gems to reduce the fatigue cost of SE :suicide:

Really I've never seen a mage gem for earthpower unless he could not cast it otherwise due to being E1

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hmnn... It is perfectly possible that I have scripted the wrong mage. Still :suicide:, but a different kind of :suicide:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Always give 2 mroe gems than needed for spells.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Empire is what LA Pythium would be if they were cool

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
conquest of elysium is NOT good

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Samog posted:

conquest of elysium is NOT good

much like your posting

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Empire is what LA Pythium would be if they were cool

Sounds like they have been playing SOMA!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell, they really need a proofreader.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

goatface posted:

loving hell, they really need a proofreader.

Or two

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How does EA Berytos work? First impression was to stomp indies w elephants and get wind guide and flaming arrows bc you have cheap archers, then noticed you can do storm+thunder strike spam w storm callers. Are their national blood summons worth it? 32 blood slaves for 3 units seems steep. You can summon telkhines now, those might be cool for lategame.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Finnish Flasher posted:

How does EA Berytos work? First impression was to stomp indies w elephants and get wind guide and flaming arrows bc you have cheap archers, then noticed you can do storm+thunder strike spam w storm callers. Are their national blood summons worth it? 32 blood slaves for 3 units seems steep. You can summon telkhines now, those might be cool for lategame.

storm demon, storm, blood lust

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChickenWing posted:

NEWBIE GAME!

Noobs R Us 3: The Noobening

Newbies only! 12 players, 14 Provinces per player, 8 Level 1 thrones, 4 Level 2 thrones, 2 Level 3 thrones. 16 points to win.

I strongly recommend anyone who joins to be in IRC every day or two to pick up tells, do diplomacy, and get advice from all us marginally-less-terrible folks.

Just don't listen to us when we tell you to summon lesser fire elementals vs fire-resistant giants :sun:

E: clarification!

A newbie is a player who has completed <=2 games, is currently in <=2 games, is not an oldschool dom3 pro, and is not a gamewinner

if you feel you are a fringe case that I should consider, send me a .tell in IRC

ChickenWing posted:

GAME IS UP! Load your pretenders! Make sure you check GGS for the latest port number

E: make sure you're checking the PGS thread for updates!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Can someone link to the little mods I saw floating around here that fix horse barding and underwater nations having iron equipment?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Can someone link to the little mods I saw floating around here that fix horse barding and underwater nations having iron equipment?

Barding

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

Their Melqart summons are probably one of the single-best commander-mages in the game, with their huge command rating, minimum of 25 Magic Command and 15 Undead/Demon leaadership as well as 160(!!!) regular troops and full slots to give them more magic/undead command if they need it.

Unlike Hinnom, they don't have that nasty potential to get S2 which makes them vulnerable to garbage mages with S1 like Sauromatia's Soothsayers. Instead they get A2 which opens up a huge array of troop buffs that you want, like Arrow Fend/Wind Guide/Fog Warriors (the latter in a Sabbath/Communion or I guess hypothetically with Hell Power if you are some kind of lunatic).

On the other hand, the nation has a kinda weak national army, especially when 40 W9 Vanhere/70 Jag Warriors/Sufficient White Centaurs/Helheim Glam Cav Guys I Forget The Name Of can land on your capital in year 1 and knock you right out of the game with pretty much 0 recourse to anything other than praying Earth Meld off your sages plus some spearmen can cause a rout.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 3, 2015

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the input guys. Regarding the storm+storm demons combo, how many storm demons do you want at minimum for that to become viable? Having like 5 is prob not worth it since storm makes archers suck.
I just got to the point I can wind guide+flaming arrows with tons of archers, adding storm with only a few storm demons seems like shooting myself in the foot.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A dozen or so Storm Demons makes it worth it.

The real question is do you have sufficient A2 mages that Summon Storm Power into Thunderstrike spam is viable alongside them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks again. One more question, how badly are archers nerfed under storm? If I have 60+ archers in an army should I still wind guide+flaming arrows even when I also have storm+stormdemons?

• Locked thread