Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Blackbeard can clearly have multiple fruits because of conjoined nanomachine twin that stays alive with Haki, which is magical willpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Blackbeard isn't a man, but a collection of thousands of sentient, extraterrestrial dark filament-like lifeforms that took over the body of a man and masquerade as his weird shark tooth facial hair. Each single strand of alien fake-hair is capable of consuming a devil fruit.

The host body really likes cherry pie.

Sanji is alternate universe Johnny Bravo who favored leg-day instead of arm day.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
at chapter 795 now; anyone who's saying sanji has stopped running behind the scenes isn't looking at the big picture

Jose posted:

enies lobby's power levels was really bad
but also a joke (like all power levels)

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
If Blackbeard's ability to hold multiple devil fruit powers was purely because of his fruit, then Marco would have said so. That Marco referred to his body being strange makes it seem clear that the darkness fruit is not the cause.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

If Blackbeard's ability to hold multiple devil fruit powers was purely because of his fruit, then Marco would have said so. That Marco referred to his body being strange makes it seem clear that the darkness fruit is not the cause.

What makes you think Marco knows everything there is to know about every Devil Fruit? I mean hell noone on Whitebeards crew even recognised what his power did or what the ability was.

Do you also think Marco also knows that the Gum Gum fruit has the ability to inflate his bones or vulcanise his body with Gear Second or inflate his muscles for Gear 4? In that data book it probably says the Darkness fruit stops devil fruit powers from working, because the fruit gives the user the ability suck all things in. Blackbeard probably just took the next logical step and realised that if he killed the wielder, he would have the ability to take it permanently because the power disappears once they die.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asuron posted:

What makes you think Marco knows everything there is to know about every Devil Fruit?

:gas: :gas:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450775543"]
Kaido has the demon demon fruit.

Ogre Ogre/Oni Oni would be more appropriately Japanese and fits his look. He literally has Oni horns. I'd bet on that if I had to bet on anything. Actually, gently caress it, :toxx:

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 29, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do people still toxx themselves.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Captain Invictus posted:

Why do people still toxx themselves.

It's like gambling. It may be a waste of money but it adds some tension to life. Additionally, if I'm right, I get to be even more smug.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 29, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

People like to say "I hope Person A is just really strong instead of having a Devil Fruit." But why is that inherently more interesting?

This is a Shonen Battle Manga. Even if a person doesn't have a fruit, they're still going to have a gimmick to try and make the fight more entertaining to watch than just a slugfest. I don't think Shanks has a fruit either, but I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if he did because he needs something to set him apart from the other swordsman and punchmen when and if his first actual battle ever happens.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Tolth posted:

Ogre Ogre/Oni Oni would be more appropriately Japanese and fits his look. He literally has Oni horns. I'd bet on that if I had to bet on anything. Actually, gently caress it, :toxx:

Isn't an oni just a demon in Japanese?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450802475"]
Isn't an oni just a demon in Japanese?

They're pretty different to the Western conception of demons but they fill roughly the same niche.

Edit: I almost forgot, in Japan people frequently guard against Oni with monkey statues.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Blackbeard's fruit can suppress devil fruit powers right? Why couldn't he suppress his own (or others) to allow taking on another fruit? If the previous fruit is suppressed then they wouldn't explode when introduced to the second. The fruits are gradually turned back on together so there is no explosion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

People like to say "I hope Person A is just really strong instead of having a Devil Fruit." But why is that inherently more interesting?

This is a Shonen Battle Manga. Even if a person doesn't have a fruit, they're still going to have a gimmick to try and make the fight more entertaining to watch than just a slugfest. I don't think Shanks has a fruit either, but I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if he did because he needs something to set him apart from the other swordsman and punchmen when and if his first actual battle ever happens.

Because a character powerful through their own merits of training their human body in a series where several characters have had their bodies altered through a magical fruit is more interesting once in a while. There will always be a gimmick, but there's something to be said for a character who can cut ships in half and wreck a dude with a small dagger and this is solely through his own natural abilities that he trained than his body being made of needles because he found a pear. I don't mind devil fruit users, I sort of don't like that they became as large as they did in numbers, but Oda's made some unique and interesting ones so it stopped bothering me pretty quickly. Like at the end of the day all I want is a cool fight, but characters that manage to keep up with the cast without needing the things those characters need are really cool.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Wow this guy who's power is "works out a lot" is really interesting!

Now two guys who work out a lot are fighting! I wonder who will win via having worked out more than their opponent...

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 29, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is the basis for a lot of martial arts manga, yes.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Elemental users are by far the least interesting to me. Getting blasted with ice or fire or sand is all kind of the same. Zoans are more of a mixed bag but springs and rubber and being dead are the most creative.

Super strong guy works best with a whacky ability like holding 3 swords or using your nose hairs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bobobo is really good I agree

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Baal posted:

Idk, I always liked Zoro fights. He does have to be handicapped but it leads to fun stuff, imo. I really like the Mr. 1 fight where he to be in tune with steel to cut it, the Ohm fight on skypiea was fantastic and a fight that used geography and the ruins in cool ways, the Kaku fight was also a ton of fun too I felt thanks in part to the Sniper King sword. Zoro fights are pretty simple, but I still think they're really neat for the most part.

Everything you liked about these fights happened because someone had a fruit or a gimmick. I think people say they want more characters who are "just strong" because they like the idea but in practice it would just end up dragging.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

people like characters who are "just strong" because of american exceptionalism and bootstrapping. it's really dumb

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I specifically remember everyone whining that Zoro fights are boring when Zoro started fighting Kaku up until Kaku turned into a giraffe, then everyone loved it.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Romona Zolo has always been the king of cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's going to be really cool when Zoro and Mihawk fight even though they have no special powers and are just really goddamn strong.

Edit: Also, Zoro fights are really good because he is a bloody mess by the end of them and it owns.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

oddium posted:

people like characters who are "just strong" because of american exceptionalism and bootstrapping. it's really dumb

Yeah okay

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Niddhogg posted:

I specifically remember everyone whining that Zoro fights are boring when Zoro started fighting Kaku up until Kaku turned into a giraffe, then everyone loved it.

All fights in every shounen would be better if people randomly turned into giraffes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Niddhogg posted:

Everything you liked about these fights happened because someone had a fruit or a gimmick. I think people say they want more characters who are "just strong" because they like the idea but in practice it would just end up dragging.

No it isn't. The reason the Kaku fight is fun is because the fight is well constructed in several ways. Gimmicks are fun, but if the fight isn't handled well then it's not enjoyable, as it should be obvious. I like a lot of Zoro fights because he has to fight past gimmicks that are beyond himself to do so and yes it is really loving cool when the dude cuts through steel because he can hear the breath of all things. Of course poo poo like Hachi is whatever, because at no point is he really even a threat, Zoro's just injured, but that's barely even a significant fight. The Sanji and Bon Clay fight is more of what I'm talking about, sort of. Bon Clay's only gimmick during the fight is his tipped slippers, the devil fruit is really just used for a gag. The fight has a lot of them just beating the poo poo out of each other in increasingly elaborate sequences and it's fun.

Not every fight needs to be that of course, but once in a while it's fine.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's going to be really cool when Zoro and Mihawk fight even though they have no special powers and are just really goddamn strong.

Edit: Also, Zoro fights are really good because he is a bloody mess by the end of them and it owns.

I'm still waiting for it. Zoro vs Mihawk is one of the things that made One Piece for me back when I started reading it and I look forward to this every new chapter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Zoro/Hachi fight is also really cool, less for the fight itself and more for Zoro fighting through the pain to even stand. He's usually at a disadvantage in his fights but that's the one he's at his weakest, and it's even better when Arlong beats him later and then freaks out upon seeing the wound because someone who can fight with that gash across his chest can't possibly be real.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
if all the villains were just martial arts like lucci, instead of having door powers like blueno, it'd be boring.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Baal posted:

No it isn't. The reason the Kaku fight is fun is because the fight is well constructed in several ways. Gimmicks are fun, but if the fight isn't handled well then it's not enjoyable, as it should be obvious. I like a lot of Zoro fights because he has to fight past gimmicks that are beyond himself to do so and yes it is really loving cool when the dude cuts through steel because he can hear the breath of all things. Of course poo poo like Hachi is whatever, because at no point is he really even a threat, Zoro's just injured, but that's barely even a significant fight. The Sanji and Bon Clay fight is more of what I'm talking about, sort of. Bon Clay's only gimmick during the fight is his tipped slippers, the devil fruit is really just used for a gag. The fight has a lot of them just beating the poo poo out of each other in increasingly elaborate sequences and it's fun.

Not every fight needs to be that of course, but once in a while it's fine.

I'm still waiting for it. Zoro vs Mihawk is one of the things that made One Piece for me back when I started reading it and I look forward to this every new chapter.

Wait, how are cutting through steel and shooting lasers out of your swords NOT gimmicks anyway? What about the time he seemed to grow three heads and six arms? That's the other thing I never got about people liking "just strong" characters. They end up doing things so wacky that they might as well have fruit powers.

Also you say those fights work because Zoro had to figure out how to beat their powers, but if that's true, the fact that people had those powers is what made it interesting in the first place.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 29, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The idea that jumping on air, lighting yourself on fire, turning into a 3 headed Hindu god, cutting a mountain in half, controlling weather with your bo staff, or turning yourself into a cyborg are any less super powers than being made of rubber because you didn't eat a magic fruit is just dumb.

Namor being a mutant Atlantean doesn't actually have anything to do with him being different from non-mutant Atlantean Aqua Man.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Namor being a mutant Atlantean doesn't actually have anything to do with him being different from non-mutant Atlantean Aqua Man.

Counterpoint: Namor has little ankle wings.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Niddhogg posted:

Wait, how are cutting through steel and shooting lasers out of your swords NOT gimmicks anyway? What about the time he seemed to grow three heads and six arms? That's the other thing I never got about people liking "just strong" characters. They end up doing things so wacky that they might as well have fruit powers.

Also you say those fights work because Zoro had to figure out how to beat their powers, but if that's true the fact that those powers are their is what made those fights interesting in the first place.

They're not really gimmicks because it's not a core part of those characters fights after a certain point, they just become a part of their moveset. Admittedly the entire point of the Daz Bones fight is that Zoro has to learn how to cut through the steel or he dies, so yeah fair point. The Asura stuff I've never really been clear on because it's very possible that Zoro did just grow more limbs and heads, but I also thought for a while it was just an aura sort of thing because he never really did it again since then.

Gyges posted:

The idea that jumping on air, lighting yourself on fire, turning into a 3 headed Hindu god, cutting a mountain in half, controlling weather with your bo staff, or turning yourself into a cyborg are any less super powers than being made of rubber because you didn't eat a magic fruit is just dumb.

The difference is the characters in those power sets are all under different conditions except Zoro and Sanji who are freaks of nature even as far as some devil fruit users can go.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

oddium posted:

It's tremendously lacking in self-awareness to assume that everyone you're talking to is from the US while bitching about american exceptionalism on the internet.

Niddhogg posted:

Also you say those fights work because Zoro had to figure out how to beat their powers, but if that's true, the fact that people had those powers is what made it interesting in the first place.

You're right, but what this highlights, IMO, is that the most interesting fights often come from watching someone who is 'just strong' fight someone with cool powers. The puzzle-solving aspect can be fascinating, whereas watching two dudes with cool powers go it out often turns into a clusterfuck that only ends because the author decided one dude's super-move was stronger than the other. These kind of fights are often awful (Toriko vs Starjun is one of the worst of these I've ever seen), and while a few series manage to pull it off (JoJo) it takes a pretty talented author with a certain style of creativity.

Oda almost cheats his way out of this with Luffy, because while he does have a cool superpower, as the series goes on the Gomo Gomu really does just become another way for him to be a Strong Guy. Like, his abilities are cool and creative, sure, but the last time I can remember Luffy winning because he's made of rubber (rather than because he's really strong) is Enel. If I've forgotten something hilariously major here, please call me out, but I don't think there's many. Like, consider how many of Luffy's fights would have gone differently if he'd eaten the Bane Bane No Mi and had spring-based powers instead; I can't think of many. His moves would look different but he'd end up having almost exactly the same sort of roster of attacks, just spring themed. Compare this to the way powers work in for example Stardust Crusaders, where almost every fight is a weird chess-match with people trying to find a hole in the other guy's bizarre abilities.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 29, 2015

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
More info on the One Piece Kabuki play in Japan - http://kotaku.com/live-action-one-p...dium=Socialflow

Whitebeard looks loving pissed

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tolth posted:

It's tremendously lacking in self-awareness to assume that everyone you're talking to is from the US while bitching about american exceptionalism on the internet.

ah sorry i'll be more inclusive with my jokes during a discussion about why doing superhuman feats without having "superpowers" is objectively cooler than doing them with superpowers, On The Internet, next time

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Tolth posted:

If I've forgotten something hilariously major here, please call me out, but I don't think there's many. Like, consider how many of Luffy's fights would have gone differently if he'd eaten the Bane Bane No Mi and had spring-based powers instead; I can't think of many.

How would he hit people from a distance without moving his entire body to them (this happens a lot)? How would he have grown giant body parts? How would he have survived having his feet stuck in concrete and thrown into a pool? How would he be immune to bullets before haki?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The thing I find weird about the "I hope this guy doesn't have a DF and is just really strong" thing is that it used to be super relevant when we thought logias were unbelievably overpowered and ordinary fighters couldn't compete, but became much less so since the timeskip when we learned the extent of what haki can do. Now it is something we have seen several times and is no longer this insurmountable power ceiling. Presumably Shanks and Garp still don't have DFs and use high level haki to close the power gap.

I guess if the argument is that you want to see more of these guys fighting the Strawhats that makes sense, although I understand why Oda would want something more visually interesting happening in some of these fights. Plus for the sake of interesting battles I feel like most zoans are just really strong guys: I don't think the Lucci battle would be drastically different if they just made him a really strong dude.

Tolth posted:

Quoting this for the irony of you admonishing someone for lack of awareness as their joke saaaaiils over your head

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Niddhogg posted:

How would he hit people from a distance without moving his entire body to them (this happens a lot)? How would he have grown giant body parts? How would he have survived having his feet stuck in concrete and thrown into a pool? How would he be immune to bullets before haki?

Surely this kind of reinforces my point? His powers as a result of being made of rubber are "Can attack at a distance, grow really big, and is bulletproof". Like, that's also Goku. I'll concede the being thrown into a pool point - but at the same time that, and all the instances of Luffy using his stretchy arms to grab stuff etc, were non-combat stuff. I think we see more uniquely 'rubber man' poo poo when Luffy's not fighting than when he is.

And so it doesn't seem like I'm dodging the question -

1. Using spring arms to fire poo poo at people. Maybe they extend really far in the same way even.
2. Rather than giant body parts he compresses a ton of force into his arms and then shoots giant shockwaves. Functionally the same.
3. Springs bounce the bullets back.

Only one of those that seems like reaching to me is No. 2.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 29, 2015

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Baal posted:

They're not really gimmicks because it's not a core part of those characters fights after a certain point, they just become a part of their moveset. Admittedly the entire point of the Daz Bones fight is that Zoro has to learn how to cut through the steel or he dies, so yeah fair point. The Asura stuff I've never really been clear on because it's very possible that Zoro did just grow more limbs and heads, but I also thought for a while it was just an aura sort of thing because he never really did it again since then.

The difference is the characters in those power sets are all under different conditions except Zoro and Sanji who are freaks of nature even as far as some devil fruit users can go.

I'm not really seeing why it's better if extra limbs and lasers are not part of a core theme. If it's like that isn't he just pulling attacks out of his rear end when he needs them? (welcome to shonen manga!)

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
idk I like cool devil fruit powers but I also like it when guys are just powerful badasses (zoro) and I also like it when they're not very strong but still fight good (usopp) or if there's some crazy non-DF gimmick (franky, guys w/weird fighting styles, haki used for more than just powering up an attack or to get past logia powers)

overall I would say One Piece has pretty cool fights.