Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I didn't know that existed, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

More arid, American touristy stuff...

Grand Canyon by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was more focused on the landscape of the first one... so landscape thread?

Chores (Granada, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Spanish Contrast (Granada, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

One of the Churches (Leon, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
More Death Valley stuff. Where I find out "how much is too much when punching up contrast and saturation".

IMG_0549 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_0336 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_5790 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I really like the second one, but why f/2.5? When you look at the large version on flickr (not zoomed in) the softness on everything is really annoying. I went full creep (because I still like it) and looked through your other shots and a few others are like that too.

I like the latest photo you uploaded, the galaxy one, the colours are nice. I wish my canon apsc and kit lens with maximum of f/3.5 could get shots like that, but I'm a poor.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2015

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I was playing around with taking pictures of stuff like this one and never changed the settings (babbys first nifty fifty). I forgot to set the correct aperture a lot while taking pictures in manual mode and jumping back and forth between landscapes and closeups of cool stuff. Also ran into a lot of out of focus images from a manual lens because I just used the viewfinder and didn't do any focus peaking in live view. Still a lot of learning to do.

If you're in a really dark area, you can still get the milky way with APS-C and less than ideal lenses. But you do get better shots using wide angle lenses, wide apertures, and moving to full frame.

I took this with a Canon T2i and 11mm lens at f2.8

Big Bend by jon.martensen, on Flickr

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 29, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the shots I get are ok, but nothing more, but then again its a cheap dlsr and I was told I wouldn't be happy with it's low light performance before I got it. I really think it's a lens thing more than anything, my biggest issue is I get burned out trying to get it properly focused. Just isn't my thing, I'm kinda happy to let everyone else make pretty night sky shots for now.

I have a t3i/600d with the kit 18-55 and kinda kit 55-250 stm.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah the shots I get are ok, but nothing more, but then again its a cheap dlsr and I was told I wouldn't be happy with it's low light performance before I got it. I really think it's a lens thing more than anything, my biggest issue is I get burned out trying to get it properly focused. Just isn't my thing, I'm kinda happy to let everyone else make pretty night sky shots for now.

This guy pulls it off just fine with a t3i and a lens with a max aperture of 3.5. Maybe you need to go out and take photos.

https://flic.kr/p/pufN9i

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hey a current Rebel is better than a lot of stuff out there. And the 55-250 STM is actually pretty solid. Not that it will help you much with sprawling landscapes and night sky shots, but it's a very sharp lens and basically as good as you can do in the consumer price range, IMO. Your bird photos overall show as much detail as mine do, and mine were taken with a 5D2 and 400mm L prime. If you're itching for something better than the kit at moderate wide-angle, get a cheap prime. But there's not much you can't do with the kit as long as you have a tripod. Who needs small apertures for mostly static landscapes, anyway?

But this isn't the gear thread, or the bird thread. So here's a landscape.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC9401 by Maciej, on Flickr

Landscape of sorts...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Putrid Grin posted:

Landscape of sorts...

Which lens is that? I haven't looked at a picture and needed to know what was used to take it in a long time.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Nikon 28mm 1.8G

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lake Como by alkanphel, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hey a current Rebel is better than a lot of stuff out there. And the 55-250 STM is actually pretty solid. Not that it will help you much with sprawling landscapes and night sky shots, but it's a very sharp lens and basically as good as you can do in the consumer price range, IMO. Your bird photos overall show as much detail as mine do, and mine were taken with a 5D2 and 400mm L prime. If you're itching for something better than the kit at moderate wide-angle, get a cheap prime. But there's not much you can't do with the kit as long as you have a tripod. Who needs small apertures for mostly static landscapes, anyway?

But this isn't the gear thread, or the bird thread. So here's a landscape.

Yeah I'm very happy with my camera, I didn't buy it for galaxy shots, I knew the combo wouldn't be good at that. I'm really impressed with the 55-250, people say "nah don't buy it its cheap trash" but I really couldn't care about extra sharpness in the corners or whatever, it's my hobby and I don't plan on selling my shots/going pro. For what I use it for, the body and those 2 lenses suit me 100%.

I'll stop making GBS threads up this thread with gear chat now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Hi

Emplacement by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Fingertips by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

cottonwood by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nice username/post combo here suzanne.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Nice. I feel like this is a good case for distortion correction though, I have to admit I found the slantiness distracting.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Vestige by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Grand City Bank by ryantss, on Flickr

I wish I had gotten there sooner when there were more clouds behind me that would be reflecting in the windows.

tau fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 3, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

huhu posted:

I was more focused on the landscape of the first one... so landscape thread?

Chores (Granada, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Spanish Contrast (Granada, Nicaragua) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

I love these.

Putrid Grin posted:

Landscape of sorts...

Also this.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
2015-10-02-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 3, 2015

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

This is good.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Evergreen by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Really love this. Perfect photo name too.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Concrete Jungle (The Animals Are After Me) by ryantss, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

I call your tree with another tree that somehow looks out of place. You'd think it's the processing that makes it look weird, but it looked odd through the viewfinder too.

Also some other stuff I took at the time. I couldn't decide on which perspective I liked more, so I went with both.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 4, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

For what it's worth, I like the first of the two

Also, nice tree.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 4, 2015

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

This is very nice!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Eastwood by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

P&L. by ryantss, on Flickr

Glass City. by ryantss, on Flickr

tau fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 4, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Waitomo Caves by Hannah, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nice