Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Christine posted:

Daleks aren't a hivemind.

Boy do I have some bad news for you!

The good news is that Moffat quickly forgot he wrote that into them and then wrote other stupid things for them instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Moving away from episode chat for a second...they're starting to reveal the guest list for (Re)Generation Who in Baltimore in March for any Mid-Atlantic fans.

Well I've got to get my ring modulator fixed now, there's now way I'm having Nick Briggs sign a broken one!

Illuen posted:

Didn't realize they had gotten Davison confirmed for this year. It really was an amazing con, and everyone was pretty awesome. Staff was a little flustered throughout, I think they had lots of behind the scenes issues, but they were still really professional and helpful to the con goers.
Yes, yes they did. I know a lot of the local people involved (but not the head honchos) and hopefully they'll be given a little more to work with this time.

EDIT - I should point out that Maera Sior was the one with the chutzpah to say "c'mon, let's go talk to Sylvester!"

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 29, 2015

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

The_Doctor posted:

How is tracking down original 60s-style Daleks to go with your deliberately 60-s styled Dalek city lazy?

Well there's also Daleks from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2005 and 2008. I don't think they had to "track down" an old Dalek prop either, they're the BBC.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kikka posted:

Well there's also Daleks from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2005 and 2008. I don't think they had to "track down" an old Dalek prop either, they're the BBC.

If the BBC doesn't have the recordings of episodes from the sixties why would it still have the original props? They're fan ones, largely.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Even some of the new series Daleks in the episode are fan made, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cargohills posted:

Even some of the new series Daleks in the episode are fan made, I think.

Even Dalek Sek was a fan prop.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Kikka posted:

Hey, look at this guy, he knows everything about how the show is made. Let's all listen to him!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Burkion posted:

One thing I do feel like I owe explaining to you- I have absolutely zero problems with your work, or really any of the work of the actors or prop people. I may laugh about stone pillar being used instead of metal or whatever else, but all of that is minor.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a distinction between not liking the story and not liking the production. I don't doubt that all the people involved work very hard - as is traditional on Doctor Who - to deliver the best they can with the budget available. I just personally don't like the stories, or the style of stories, that Moffat appears to be choosing to do at the moment.

Very good of both of you to say - I don't take anything that's said on here personally (nor is it my place to, I don't speak for DW). I just feel compelled to point out that DW does a lot on a television timeframe, and any perceived visual laziness/sloppiness is 99.9% of the time down to that. A friend of mine has just finished a large feature film and they've had a year and a half to prep a 2 hour film with half the sets we have over the tens of hours DW runs for in less than a year.

The irony about doing a show about time travel is that it takes... a lot of time that you don't have.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 29, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

echoplex posted:

Very nice of both of you to say - I don't take anything that's said on here personally (nor is it my place to, I don't speak for DW). I just feel compelled to point out that DW does a lot on a television timeframe, and any perceived laziness/sloppiness is 99.9% of the time down to that.

The irony about doing a show about time travel is that it takes... a lot of time that you don't have.

Oh yeah, I understand that very well. When Christmas time rolls around I can't wait to hear any stories you have working on this stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For reference,

Tamm:

Ward:

[edit]

You edited out the bit of the quote that I was referring to :mad: DOCTOR WHO PRODUCTION IS TERRIBLE AND BAD

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even Dalek Sek was a fan prop.

Indeed, the original sits in an office window just off Warren Street in London.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Can anyone remember all the names of the Cult of Skaro (without Dalek Pigslave being one of them)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sec, Thay, Caan, Jast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Can anyone remember all the names of the Cult of Skaro (without Dalek Pigslave being one of them)

Off the top of my head I remember Dalek Sec, Dalek Thay, Dalek Caan, and the third one...I want to say...

Dalek Just? Jess?

I looked it up and wasn't TOO far off apparently.

It's Pig Slave

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For reference,

Tamm:

Ward:

[edit]

You edited out the bit of the quote that I was referring to :mad: DOCTOR WHO PRODUCTION IS TERRIBLE AND BAD

I'm going to need more photographic evidence before I can draw a proper conclusion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

echoplex posted:

I'm not a DW fan

echoplex posted:

Nice try, but I'd recognize a Caves of Androzani quote variation anywhere!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

I'm going to need more photographic evidence before I can draw a proper conclusion.

Here's the "Frockumentary" they made about Lalla Ward's costumes.

Romana I (Mary Tamm)

Romana II (Lalla Ward)

Romana III "Trey" (Juliet Landau - Big Finish)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 29, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Romana's just the best.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

cargohills posted:

Romana's just the best.

It's a shame we will never see Romana III on TV.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I hope Juliet Landau will get to be in an audio with the Doctor at some point. I'm sure she'd be great with Paul McGann.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thank you for the pics and the link! I know find myself looking forward to the "Key to Time" story arc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
As someone who irregularly watches Dr Who I thought that episode was absolutely awful.

The problem with it for me is that it feels like nothing has any tension to it. Any situation can just be got out of with some random poo poo that's never been mentioned before. It makes watching feel pointless.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Indeed, the original sits in an office window just off Warren Street in London.

Is he the black one? The sports car one? He is my favourite.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

echoplex posted:

Hey, look at this guy, he knows everything about how the show is made. Let's all listen to him!

I mean they already had all of the old Daleks in Asylum of the Daleks. I don't think it was a terrible bother to get them again, or if they were even hauled off the BBC warehouses.

Also, talking about favorite Daleks (and Asylum), mine are the ones from The Chase that were put in the special trauma ward after meeting Dracula and Frankenstein.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can never read Mary Tamm's name without hearing Tom Baker in my head going,"Oh Mary :allears:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question: does Mary Tamm play the woman asking the last question at the end of this NTNON sketch?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

Is he the black one? The sports car one? He is my favourite.

He is indeed!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question: does Mary Tamm play the woman asking the last question at the end of this NTNON sketch?

Mary Tamm AND Mel Smith!

Which gives me an excuse to go watch Brain Donors again.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I can't believe we got to see Clara inside a Dalek again and there wasn't a single callback to Asylum.

There were lots of callbacks that weren't called back, if you know what I mean.

I think the earliest callback was the WOTAN reference. (Part 1 of the episode, sure, but still the same episode. So glad they didn't go all out and left the word "Who" out of it...)

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of Daleks talking, I think it's in The Dalek Invasion of Earth where the Doctor mocks the Dalek when it claims the Daleks are the masters of the Earth. It orders them hauled off, then kind of starts muttering (and ramping itself up) as it insists over and over again,"We are the masters of Earth. WE are the Masters of Earth. We ARE the Masters of Earth!"

I always loved that little nugget of insecurity I felt the Daleks always had going on, that horrible sense buried deep down that they are NOT the superior beings in the universe, that they constantly fail and the only explanation can be that they are somehow wanting.... but they can't consciously accept that (nor indeed, are they allowed to) and so it exhibits in these little moments where the Daleks seem close to having a panic attack, and every time they actually get to exterminate something they revel in it because it's "proof" that they are superior. It's about as close to happy as a Dalek can ever be.

One of my favorite of those was during one of Three's Dalek episodes, where the last Dalek was screaming about "WE ARE DELAYED. NOT DEFEATED. THE DALKES CAN NOT BE DEFEATED!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So to reiterate my point from earlier- I miss the Daleks when they were presented as characters. Since we technically have the props back, can we bring back Sec, Jast, Thay and Caan? Well we have Sec and Caan's props anyways. Just some named Daleks that the Doctor can run into now and again.

Like how many of us thought Sec and Co were GOING to work until they just killed off most of them in the next appearance...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of my favourite Dalek moments is Time Of The Doctor, when he's starting to regenerate and they panic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of Daleks talking, I think it's in The Dalek Invasion of Earth where the Doctor mocks the Dalek when it claims the Daleks are the masters of the Earth. It orders them hauled off, then kind of starts muttering (and ramping itself up) as it insists over and over again,"We are the masters of Earth. WE are the Masters of Earth. We ARE the Masters of Earth!"

It's also a great moment in starting Hartnell's anti-authoritarianism era. It's not about everyone the Daleks have crushed to get there, the very conceit of control is inherently hilarious.

:chord: "Masters of Earth? It's pointless, you can't be the masters of matter, motherfuckers."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am a big fan of the way the show looked during the black and white days, as I feel it helped the shaky sets look more real than they ever did in the highly lit garishly painted late 70's and 80's, but on the other hand, sometimes the lack of any footage at all seems a boon to the show. The last episode of "The Dalek's Master plan" feels and sounds absolutely horrifying in a way that likely would not have carried over if I could have actually seen what was going on. That aside, I actually kind of dread Dalek episodes in the new Who, as they have never attained the high of the very first Dalek episode of the new series, and in all honesty, that episode had a lot of problems itself.

False Edit: Same with Cybermen in all honesty,. I feel like every time this show brings back either of the old show's big bad's, it is to diminishing returns.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

One of my favourite Dalek moments is Time Of The Doctor, when he's starting to regenerate and they panic.

I can't decide if I like that moment due the Daleks doing a 180 and going from :smuggo: to ohshitthisisnothappeningthisisnthappeninhohfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck, or Matt's Smith's acting in that moment. An old man suddenly getting a burst of energy in his syste, and while he really can't do what he wants, he'll do it anyway.

I mean, you'd think that in their panic they'd simply level the tower with everything they've got, but that's the brilliance of the moment: they can't even do that. The Doctor shouldn't regenerate, every rule they know says the Doctor can't regenerate, but the The Doctor is regenerating and what the gently caress do we do now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Levelling the tower would theoretically be even worse, because then they wouldn't know where is is or if they really killed him.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

remusclaw posted:

False Edit: Same with Cybermen in all honesty,. I feel like every time this show brings back either of the old show's big bad's, it is to diminishing returns.

The Cybermen hadn't had a good TV story since the 60s anyway so this isn't really exclusive to the new series.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Burkion posted:

Boy do I have some bad news for you!

The good news is that Moffat quickly forgot he wrote that into them and then wrote other stupid things for them instead

I don't watch a lot of classic Doctor Who but even I know that certain details are not always consistent. So I wouldn't blame Moffat for doing the same for the new series.

And yes, I had forgotten about the Dalek hivemind - and that's fine with me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought Into the Dalek did a nice job of providing some much needed context to that utterly stupid "hive-mind" nonsense (an internal computer system monitoring the Daleks' thought-processes and censoring/blocking stuff in order to keep their thoughts "pure"), but it is another case of the Daleks being written very inconsistently from one appearance to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Also, talking about favorite Cybermen, mine is the one that gives the Doctor a badass shoulder massage.

• Locked thread