Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I love when people claim "this isn't "worth the money, once you've played a few rounds you've seen all there is to offer" when motherfuckers have been playing counterstrike for a loving decade. It's a fun game, a little different with a lot of emphasis on small class based teamwork like Evolve, Payday, and Left4Dead. All games that in my opinion suck when you're not playing with friends or at least people who communicate. Also all games with no dedicated single player experience. I've made a good amount of friends playing the beta and I've had a ton of fun when it works. It probably won't be the longest running game out there but claiming it's not good enough to pay money for is pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Bright pink running shoes woman runs faster than other attackers and can detect cameras and traps, and the shock drone woman gets a hk417

And on the other side, Jaeger runs like the wind. I like to put his special around my gang, then run to another floor to use the cameras and await the shooting to start so I can run up on the breachers from an unexpected direction. Archive on Embassy is best for this, they have to come inside to get to the objective.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It depends on how much money someone has. Frugal student can buy $15 CS:GO that will be played for next 10 years (don't quote), can play Payday 2 for free, or can pay $60 for Siege which may or may not become abandonware wasteland in 2 months post release. Were I employed in a Western country, I'd have no problems to pay for it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

And on the other side, Jaeger runs like the wind. I like to put his special around my gang, then run to another floor to use the cameras and await the shooting to start so I can run up on the breachers from an unexpected direction. Archive on Embassy is best for this, they have to come inside to get to the objective.

My favorite defensive play also, setup all the tools around the objective then hide out on one of the opposite floors.

Most attackers are objective minded and tend to laser focus in, and forget to check behind/above them when approaching it, great for taking out the shield wall that most attackers use

Hopefully for the larger maps (I assume Heathrow will be large) there is an extended time limit mode, or no time limit at all

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

My favorite defensive play also, setup all the tools around the objective then hide out on one of the opposite floors.

Most attackers are objective minded and tend to laser focus in, and forget to check behind/above them when approaching it, great for taking out the shield wall that most attackers use

Hopefully for the larger maps (I assume Heathrow will be large) there is an extended time limit mode, or no time limit at all

The only downside to the strategy is once you declare your intention to be a sneaky rambler some guy declares "Oh yeah, I'll do that too!" and you lose because the guys defending the objective don't have the manpower to defend their position. My team once won because we breached the house garage, quickly killed the one guy in there and capped the position because the rest of the team was spread throughout the house. Or that guy blows the ambush because he starts shooting as soon as he sees someone and now they're aware and it's now 5v4 and you're split from the rest of the team. It's definitely a one man job, a little bit of a gamble that it'll even be effective and something that requires some timing.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

I love when people claim "this isn't "worth the money, once you've played a few rounds you've seen all there is to offer" when motherfuckers have been playing counterstrike for a loving decade. It's a fun game, a little different with a lot of emphasis on small class based teamwork like Evolve, Payday, and Left4Dead. All games that in my opinion suck when you're not playing with friends or at least people who communicate. Also all games with no dedicated single player experience. I've made a good amount of friends playing the beta and I've had a ton of fun when it works. It probably won't be the longest running game out there but claiming it's not good enough to pay money for is pretty crazy.

There's no way this game will be the next CS, chiefly because 80$ lol and it uses peer-to-peer connection. Oh, and the matchmaking is garbage. This is a shame, because the game itself can be pretty fun at times.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drizvolta posted:

There's no way this game will be the next CS, chiefly because 80$ lol and it uses peer-to-peer connection. Oh, and the matchmaking is garbage. This is a shame, because the game itself can be pretty fun at times.
Someone in Buttes mentioned that p2p connection is used only for voice communications.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Drizvolta posted:

Being a Beta and all, I expect they will take all the feedback on things like that to improve it before launch

The improvements between this current Beta and the early Alpha are pretty big, so they're at least trying.

But people who play CS competitively have this mind set of nothing will ever top their favorite game... it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy since they actively discourage other games

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Being a Beta and all, I expect they will take all the feedback on things like that to improve it before launch

The improvements between this current Beta and the early Alpha are pretty big, so they're at least trying.

But people who play CS competitively have this mind set of nothing will ever top their favorite game... it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy since they actively discourage other games

This game releases in 1.5 months, there is no way to fix the underlying problems in this game in time for this game not to die off in 2 weeks.

EDIT: VVVV Agreed, this is a good 2 weeks to play and have fun.

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 28, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Drizvolta posted:

This game releases in 1.5 months, there is no way to fix the underlying problems in this game in time for this game not to die off in 2 weeks.

Well I will enjoy the hell out of the 2 weeks before no one ever plays it again

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
You don't have to pay 80$ for the game, a lot of websites sell it for 35 .

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Saying that any shooter will drag people away from their favorite is no different than ever "WoW-killing" MMO that has ever been made. You aren't going to get people away from CS or whatever because of the name and sunken cost fallacy. There are people who still play CS 1.6 ffs

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Saying that any shooter will drag people away from their favorite is no different than ever "WoW-killing" MMO that has ever been made. You aren't going to get people away from CS or whatever because of the name and sunken cost fallacy. There are people who still play CS 1.6 ffs

Who said it would drag anybody from anything? It'll enjoy its time in the sun and fade out like most every game. In the meantime it's a fun little shooter with different pacing and TTK than everything else being offered right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Who said it would drag anybody from anything? It'll enjoy its time in the sun and fade out like most every game. In the meantime it's a fun little shooter with different pacing and TTK than everything else being offered right now.

Just a comment about people saying it won't be the next CS. Nothing will ever be the next CS, the best they can hope for is to make something fun

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
CS had better up the ante and let me hang upside down and shoot through double doors on de_dust2.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I doubt someone has illusion of it being CS-killer, people are more concerned with how really short lived it may turn out.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Need some goons to play with, CTS --> Buttes

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 29, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Eatpants posted:

Need some goons to play with, find me hanging out in the Killing Floor channel on CampingTheStairs mumble.

Probably easier if you go to them, CTS -> Buttes

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Thank you. CTS --> Buttes

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
This game is really fun which is why I'm sad that it will die a month after release just like Evolve.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

This game is really fun which is why I'm sad that it will die a month after release just like Evolve.

I respectfully disagree

Counterpoint: Blowing poo poo the gently caress up

Play Thunt if you haven't already, and watch how destroyed the level gets after a few suicide bombers go off

It's glorious

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Suicide bombers are the worst loving thing in this game if you're playing with less than a full squad and want to use a weapon that's slightly different rather than something with sufficient damage and ROF to bring them down in time. Especially when you turn a corner and they're a couple feet away. When my buddy and I were two-manning THunt, they account for like, 99% of my deaths. For some reason they always seemed to bee-line for my rear end well before my buddy, even if we were in the same goddamn room.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I've been having a lot of fun just doing terrorist hunt. I'd rather play with goons for the actual PVP modes. So far it's been great and while the AI isn't perfect it's been fun to play against it. Exploding walls and just dropping on 4-5 terrorists is good stuff.

My hope now is that there will be a bigger selection of weapons, it kind of feels really limited to me right now and I can see the game getting repetitive. Apart from that this is a LOT better than I anticipated it to be and I might actually just buy it off for cheap if I get the chance on GMG or SAmart if there's another video card promotion.

I really like the concept of a preparation phase along with a attack phase though, I don't think I've seen that in another multiplayer FPS recentely (think Rainbow Six 3 still had it in MP, not sure)

Edit: vvv goddamn I miss SWAT so much.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 29, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

All I want is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJuUuuZ1rE

Using 2015 graphics and such

Is that too much to ask?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
On thunt suicide guys, get good. You can hear them from miles away, and if you sneak up and shoot their pack it goes boom.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Game is fun but it crashes more than a drunk on the autobahn.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

You gotta look at what you're getting for your money. CS:GO is what, £5 these days if you get it on a sale? Even when it came out I can't really recall it being more than £20.
People playing CS for that period of time are 95% playing competitively, for which there is no provision in Siege which is gonna cost me £55.

Add in a ranked system based on skill level, double-triple the amount of game modes, add in the potential for custom servers & maps with some moddability, fix the horrific netcode and server issues and knock £15 off the price because lol even GTA5 was like £40 so Siege better be coming with an inclusive handjob for that money.
And then you might have a game that will get a good starting population which might be retained for a while

Siege is a fun game when playing with friends/goons, but yeah in its current iteration I can't see it living in any good fashion beyond 2 months of release.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 29, 2015

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So I've been trying to play this game all morning and my whole experience of it is trying to load into normal versus mode and giving up when it never connects, trying to get into terrorist hunt games and joining in time to see the final kill but then getting kicked because the host leaves the session, and then when I finally get into a game, two teammates decide to kill everyone else and just go off on their own. You'd think a game like this would have an auto kick feature once someone kills enough teammates, especially when it happens in the first 10 seconds before you ever even see an enemy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

With it being a free beta and all I would have expected way more trolling but I have only been intentionally team killed once, it is kind of surprising. I guess it takes so long to load into a match that people value them :v:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

kalstrams posted:

Someone in Buttes mentioned that p2p connection is used only for voice communications.

Yeah, a Ubi rep on reddit posted a few times how it works. It does matchmaking and then from there determines what dedicated server to use for that group; all competitive games run on dedicated servers hosted by Ubi, you just don't get to pick which one. Custom versus games (which aren't in beta) and thunt are peer-to-peer, you can see this if you play a game, notice the network icon next to one of the player's name. All voice is handled peer-to-peer, which is why voice can keep going even before the game is started / between matches. That's the host migration you see in-game, it's voice shifting to a new host, not the game. The game is supposed to pause the action while this happens and that almost always works fine, but I have seen a gif or two of a guy running around and playing during that which is hilarious. Orv and I had an interesting peek at this with a particularly hosed up game last night where we got to see the man behind the curtain. Everything locked up bad but voice still worked great, and then a mysterious hidden 11th client disconnected with the usual client disconnect message; "GAMESERVER disconnected" and then everyone got booted.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 29, 2015

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I get why they would use matchmaking for comp PvP, but they could have at least added the option of manually hosting and connecting to games. This screams console port all over the place. It's probably why it'll be dead on pc within a month, it's a shame because some of the mechanics are good and the game as a whole is fun, but ugh, the UI and connectivity could be much, much better made.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

t-hunting, could use some more bodies

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Elendil004 posted:

t-hunting, could use some more bodies

My biggest complaint is it seems to always have 2 suicide bombers, no more no less. And that sometimes it seems that enemies spawn after the match starts near the edge of the map to just mess with people playing the game as a Spider-Man simulator.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kizurue posted:

My biggest complaint is it seems to always have 2 suicide bombers, no more no less. And that sometimes it seems that enemies spawn after the match starts near the edge of the map to just mess with people playing the game as a Spider-Man simulator.

Everyone is spawned on the map at the start, but ambushers which are the guys in the Rogue Spear box art hoodies, and bombers will move outside to flank you once you start making noise. There can also be more than two bombers.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Orv posted:

Everyone is spawned on the map at the start, but ambushers which are the guys in the Rogue Spear box art hoodies, and bombers will move outside to flank you once you start making noise. There can also be more than two bombers.

We had a few a couple times, like at least 6 of them each game last night. Including the last one which I called before the reveal =V

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can hear the sound of a nitro cell now in my daily life.

This is not good

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

I can hear the sound of a nitro cell now in my daily life.

This is not good

It's okay, I saw an square entrance to an attic space in a hallway yesterday and thought it was a good breaching point

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Orv posted:

Weird. I have never seen more than 2 bombers in any of our t-hunts.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Is the number of bomber spawns tied to difficulty? I play almost exclusively on hard so I can't weigh in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Is the number of bomber spawns tied to difficulty? I play almost exclusively on hard so I can't weigh in.

I would think so?

I only ever play on Realistic so also can't say for sure, except that I have yet to play ANY map where the bomber count was less than 3 or 4

• Locked thread