Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

aardwolf posted:

iD Software spent years claiming "Doom 3 is not too dark! Shooting at enemies that you can't actually see is a fun mechanic!" and yet the very first thing they did with the BFG edition was make the whole game brighter and attach flashlights to all the weapons. I'm glad they finally fixed it but they still pulled their collective head out of their arse about eight years too late.

I feel like if Doom 3 was called Captain Grimace's Terrifying Space Adventure it would have been more liked because it would not have Doom baggage, like shooting lots of things with big guns as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's still an uphill battle because if you strip out the remaining Doom stuff, what you're left with is a bland System Shock ripoff.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I feel like if Doom 3 was called Captain Grimace's Terrifying Space Adventure it would have been more liked because it would not have Doom baggage, like shooting lots of things with big guns as fast as possible.

I feel the same way about Splinter Cell Conviction. If it didn't have to follow up Chaos Theory, it'd be a decent modern take on Tenchu stealth.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm a huge dumb Mega Man fan and I was playing some Mega Man 1 last night to psych myself up for the PSN rerelease of MML.

Mega Man is a bad, bad game. I don't think I've ever played it on a real cartridge but on the Legacy Collection Mega Man slides like four pixels after running if he's taken a single full step. In a game with such godawful and unforgiving stage design that's insane. I don't remember the Anniversary Collection doing this but maybe I just blocked it out, I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think my least favorite thing about MGS5 was the amount of grinding it took to fully upgrade your base/gear and how expensive it was to deploy a lot of stuff. Sending Quiet out wearing one of her costumes could rack up the GMP pretty quickly. It felt like they were trying to push you into playing their clash of the clans mp.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ryoshi posted:

Or it was a tongue in cheek commentary on games and feminism in a game that slaps you across the face with how the entire thing is taking the piss out of the entire gaming industry every ten minutes, but yeah you're totally right

Well I mean this comes after 4 where a major plot was intensely suffering PTSD victims doing a slow cat crawl so they can hump you to death while you zoom in on their camel toe with the alt camera, so maybe it's also fair to say Kojima's just got some weird as gently caress women issues.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Well I mean this comes after 4 where a major plot was intensely suffering PTSD victims doing a slow cat crawl so they can hump you to death while you zoom in on their camel toe with the alt camera, so maybe it's also fair to say Kojima's just got some weird as gently caress women issues.

I didn't play 4 past the exercise video at the beginning so I have no idea what scene you're talking about - you very well could be right. All I'm saying is that when a game set in 1986 has you playing FarmVille base control on your iDroid smartphone while capturing everything you didn't accidentally kill using magic pokeball balloons after an intro with an insanely detailed character creator that you never actually use it's probably worth taking a half step back and seeing how things fit in with the overall farce of the video game industry and its tropes before throwing a fit about a woman wearing a bikini in the summer in Afghanistan.

But anyways something dragging a game down: Destiny for PS4 swaps the triggers from the PS3 version. It feels much better with the new controller that way but it still threw me for a hell of a loop for a long time after having the previous scheme hammered into my muscle memory for so long.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ryoshi posted:

I'm a huge dumb Mega Man fan and I was playing some Mega Man 1 last night to psych myself up for the PSN rerelease of MML.

Mega Man is a bad, bad game. I don't think I've ever played it on a real cartridge but on the Legacy Collection Mega Man slides like four pixels after running if he's taken a single full step. In a game with such godawful and unforgiving stage design that's insane. I don't remember the Anniversary Collection doing this but maybe I just blocked it out, I guess.

It's pretty awful and it's always been awful. But Megaman 2 proved that with some work it could be good. I liked segments in Mega Man where things would just phase out of existence due to sprite limitations. Sometimes including platforms you were standing on or jumping to. Also I don't think you could slide in the original version of the game. But it's been a long rear end time since I've played it because it's not a fun game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, you can't slide until MM3, and it opens up a load more options for evasion.

The first game is so weird it has scoring and score bonus items, and the traditionally safe "boss hallways" are littered with enemies. Then you get to Wily's castle and get wrecked immediately by Yellow Devil, who is one of the worst bosses in any side scrolling platformers EVER.

I have no idea if I'll ever actually beat it. I could use the pause+Elec Man trick I guess but that's an awful workaround.

Mega Man 1 is an awful game (Mega Man Legends owns hard though.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sticklefifer posted:

No actually its clever satire because whenever something I like has something stupid or embarrassing in it its always actually clever satire.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In a series where you fight a fat man on roller skates, a roaring metal gear, a man that makes weapons out of bees, a homosexual vampire, in a game where you fight a man on fire, see a giant fire whale eat a helicopter, fight a poorly made metal gear controlled by a red headed psychic child.

Its the sniper in the bikini and gendering code names that some of you have trouble with, that's what breaks your immersion and drags the game down for you. :ughh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

In a series where you fight a fat man on roller skates, a roaring metal gear, a man that makes weapons out of bees, a homosexual vampire, in a game where you fight a man on fire, see a giant fire whale eat a helicopter, fight a poorly made metal gear controlled by a red headed psychic child.

Its the sniper in the bikini and gendering code names that some of you have trouble with, that's what breaks your immersion and drags the game down for you. :ughh:

Thank you for chiming in with this incredibly fresh, original, and intelligent contribution.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

I love the code names. I have a dude named Cannibal Crab.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I didn't play 4 past the exercise video at the beginning so I have no idea what scene you're talking about - you very well could be right. All I'm saying is that when a game set in 1986 has you playing FarmVille base control on your iDroid smartphone while capturing everything you didn't accidentally kill using magic pokeball balloons after an intro with an insanely detailed character creator that you never actually use it's probably worth taking a half step back and seeing how things fit in with the overall farce of the video game industry and its tropes before throwing a fit about a woman wearing a bikini in the summer in Afghanistan.

wearing a bikini in summer in afghanistan seems like a really loving bad idea

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also the vampire isnt homosexual, hes bisexual. Its why hes called Vamp.

Also the really awful thing isnt that quiet is wearing a bikini for the entire game, but the way the camera focuses on her tits and rear end constantly.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

wearing a bikini in a warzone seems like a really loving bad idea

Also this.

I'm loving Bloodborne but man, gently caress the Forbidden Woods. I've been in there for hours and it just keeps going. And the snake enemies can strike from multiple places at once and love to gang up on you. I haven't beaten the area yet, but I'll be glad to see the back of it. I just wish I could find another lantern.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also none of these snake motherfuckers drop bullets so I have to go farm just to keep my bullets up in an ordinary area! :tfrxmas:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also this.

I'm loving Bloodborne but man, gently caress the Forbidden Woods. I've been in there for hours and it just keeps going. And the snake enemies can strike from multiple places at once and love to gang up on you. I haven't beaten the area yet, but I'll be glad to see the back of it. I just wish I could find another lantern.

Yeah, that place is a mess. Thankfully there's a shortcut once you get to the end so you don't have to go through it again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Moon Monster posted:

I think my least favorite thing about MGS5 was the amount of grinding it took to fully upgrade your base/gear and how expensive it was to deploy a lot of stuff. Sending Quiet out wearing one of her costumes could rack up the GMP pretty quickly. It felt like they were trying to push you into playing their clash of the clans mp.

All but one of the platforms needs fuel resources to build up, which is just the worst. It makes virtually every other resource insignificant, because you'll probably be sitting on 30k biological resources before you get the 18k fuel required to upgrade the medical platform anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I also remember the boss who photosynthesized, a robotic dinosaur that roared, walking tanks with bleeding legs that pooed and mooed, a psychic that broke the fourth wall and a guy with a minigun that you beat by throwing grenades into his tank or shooting him in the back with like sixteen guided rockets.

Strangely enough, I don't remember any of these characters spending the game in a bikini and torn panyhose. Unless you count Vulcan Raven, actually.

I mean, we could talk about other things that drag the game down instead. The Skulls aren't too memorable a boss fight in reality compared to any of the people you listed and there's not really any special locations that're memorable either like Shadow Moses or Groznyj Grad. I mean, we have angry astronaut who survived a catastrophic re-entry and became obsessed with fire, a guy who made rifles out of bees, a dude with nanomachines so powerful he was basically Wolverine with how quickly he regenerated- also he could pin your shadow to the ground with knives somehow- now we're just at enemies that're fast and resilient. They feel like they'd be more at home in an Infamous game with how they're implemented.

The most interesting bosses in the game are basically retreads of ones we've already fought. 'What if Volgin shot fire instead of lightning? What if Psycho Mantis was a child instead? So they couldn't even do something interesting on that front without just pulling better stuff out of the box that's already been done.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nuebot posted:

I love the code names. I have a dude named Cannibal Crab.

My favorite character is named Night Raccoon :3:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that place is a mess. Thankfully there's a shortcut once you get to the end so you don't have to go through it again.

:woop: best news I've heard all day.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SpookyLizard posted:

Also the really awful thing isnt that quiet is wearing a bikini for the entire game, but the way the camera focuses on her tits and rear end constantly.

Yeah, this is the thing that kept my wife from getting into the game and it was a real shame. A busty lady shaking her bare rear end at the screen and taking you to the shower just screams NOT FOR YOU at any woman who might want to play.

Nine out of every ten pearl-clutching gender diatribes you read about video games are nonsense, but this one really isn't one of them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

Thank you for chiming in with this incredibly fresh, original, and intelligent contribution.

Right back at ya buddy. :thumbsup:

For content, I like how its possible to find blue quality gear in Destiny that's higher than purples, same with the light system being affected by your gear instead of specific armor like raid gear.

The ghost shell being part of it not so much, you'll get mountains of guns and gears but ghost shells seem to arrive at a trickle, you pretty much have no choice but to buy the vanguard one which is 75 marks that could toward something more useful like a gun or armor in the grand scheme of things.

In a similar manner I think its kinda lovely the old content is just kind of pointless now, there's no real reason to do them anymore, they're pathetically easy and the rewards are all year 1 stuff, hopefully they just wanted to get TTK out and they'll work that in the future in some capacity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

All but one of the platforms needs fuel resources to build up, which is just the worst. It makes virtually every other resource insignificant, because you'll probably be sitting on 30k biological resources before you get the 18k fuel required to upgrade the medical platform anyway.

I went on a mad grind to upgrade all my base platforms and by the time I had enough fuel I'd hit the money cap. I didn't even know there was a money cap, did you? It wasn't even enough to research everything my R&D team unlocked once the 3/4 upgrade finished.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yeah, this is the thing that kept my wife from getting into the game and it was a real shame. A busty lady shaking her bare rear end at the screen and taking you to the shower just screams NOT FOR YOU at any woman who might want to play.

So what does the dog knifing clueless soldiers scream at people who might want to play?

Alteisen posted:

For content, I like how its possible to find blue quality gear in Destiny that's higher than purples, same with the light system being affected by your gear instead of specific armor like raid gear.

In a similar manner I think its kinda lovely the old content is just kind of pointless now, there's no real reason to do them anymore, they're pathetically easy and the rewards are all year 1 stuff, hopefully they just wanted to get TTK out and they'll work that in the future in some capacity.
WoW had the same problems when its expansions started coming out. One guy in my raid guild threw a fit the first time he found a blue quality item that outclassed his precious naxx items. Similarly it always disappointed me that until they started adding achievements, there was pretty much no reason to do any of the old dungeons or anything. Some of the old raids were actually fun once you could run them with less than a clusterfuck of 40 people, and they were a lot more interesting than the early BC raids. But now you can't do them at all because they just got rid of most of the old content when they redid the world.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Sep 30, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Also this.

I love how it isn't even that large, it's just that everything looks the same and it twists around on itself a couple times. You can run straight through it picking up the cool armor on the way but it's like okay run run run there's the giant tombstone that looks kinda broken, okay hang a left here and nope wrong tombstone this is a leap into oblivion wheeeeeee.

That forest is what fairy tales to scare children outta wandering around the woods were written for. That forest is literally zork you are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. It's fun as heck and I'm sorry you're having a bad time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Also this.

Forbidden Woods is totally my favorite zone in the game. It totally oozes that Resident Evil 4 charm. Plus that zone in combination with the one right after it (Brygenwerth) completely encapsulates the game's complete descent into madness and it's so good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So what does the dog knifing clueless soldiers scream at people who might want to play?

Tools are great and even animals can commit warcrimes.

I don't know if you noticed but you're kinda playing the bad guy in this game.

content: For not having touched the series in a decade, Nintendo really seemed devoted to keeping the spirit of Earthbound's terrible inventory system alive in Paper Mario TTYD. You get ten inventory spaces. This is extremely small since there're attack items, defensive items, healing and just flavor things like books you can read that don't just go into key items for some reason.

Unless! You decide to go to the pit of a 100 trials and clear half of it for an upgrade that let's you carry twice as many items!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

content: For not having touched the series in a decade, Nintendo really seemed devoted to keeping the spirit of Earthbound's terrible inventory system alive in Paper Mario TTYD. You get ten inventory spaces. This is extremely small since there're attack items, defensive items, healing and just flavor things like books you can read that don't just go into key items for some reason.

Good game inventories have spoiled me and Undertale is really bad with the whole earthbound inventory thing. There's one secret I missed because I didn't think to "USE" the key on a locked door. I checked the locked door and expected, like every other game, for it to unlock automatically and when it didn't figured the key was for something else.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Krinkle posted:

It's fun as heck and I'm sorry you're having a bad time.

More a frustrating than outright bad time, I think. I'm ready for a new area.

RyokoTK posted:

Forbidden Woods is totally my favorite zone in the game. It totally oozes that Resident Evil 4 charm. Plus that zone in combination with the one right after it (Brygenwerth) completely encapsulates the game's complete descent into madness and it's so good.

And this sounds like it's worth getting to :getin:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

Tools are great and even animals can commit warcrimes.

I don't know if you noticed but you're kinda playing the bad guy in this game.

Unless! You decide to go to the pit of a 100 trials and clear half of it for an upgrade that let's you carry twice as many items!

Well unless you are doing one of the game breaking builds like Danger Mario or such, you'll probably need to get the double inventory item from the Pit to survive the last leg of the game, stuff hits crazy hard there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's my checklist of things that I can safely say I really dislike about Phantom Pain.
1. Checkpoints. Really long mission to tail a dude? No check points. Have fun repeating that over again because...
2. The AI is wonky as hell, I just failed a mission because a bunch of dudes saw me through a wall. Literally every enemy was behind a big wall and I still got spotted.
3.The same button to pick dudes up is the same button to change weapons. The same button to fulton dudes is the same button to jump over things. I get that you don't have infinite buttons on a gamepad, but when I'm trying to quickly fulton a guy and I keep jumping over cover, and when I try to pick him up to hide him from oncoming enemies it becomes a game of spinning in place to try and avoid his weapon and I wind up getting spotted it gets annoying.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The thing

dragging this game

down

is clearly

Quiet

wearing bikini.

drat you kojima, these breasts and butts have ruined this game about supersoldiers and robots for females across the globe. They're missing on so loving much.

I take everything back, let's talk about how the skulls fight is bad and boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also this.

Bluhhhhhh Forbidden Woods huh well "forbidden" means it is probably a place I should not go but I guess I'll go in there anyway duh bluh blup blug, oh wait these woods kinda suck? that's so weird I wonder why that is oh well too bad nobody warned me or told me not to go into the Forbidden Woods

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh dear god shut the gently caress up.

The thing dragging Witcher 3 down for me is that I'm still in the early game. It feels like a game that I have to sit down and have a long chunk of playtime, not piddly little 1 long bites.

Stick with it. It's an amazing game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bluhhhhhh Forbidden Woods huh well "forbidden" means it is probably a place I should not go but I guess I'll go in there anyway duh bluh blup blug, oh wait these woods kinda suck? that's so weird I wonder why that is oh well too bad nobody warned me or told me not to go into the Forbidden Woods

drat you sure owned him.

More a frustrating than outright bad time, I think. I'm ready for a new area.

And this sounds like it's worth getting to :getin:

Stay strong, buddy. Bloodborne is good all the way up to the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vic posted:

drat you kojima, these breasts and butts have ruined this game about supersoldiers and robots for females across the globe. They're missing on so loving much.

1 Isn't that an easter egg for running after her fast enough and not her outfit for the entire game?
2 That's about as well dressed as your average superheroine
3 Again, not the regular clothes that she's always wearing
4 See above
5 Yeah, it is kinda weird and creepy to have fashion shots of soldiers with PTSD, I agree!

MGS has always been kinda weird about things when it comes to women but now people keep saying it about this one so lets all jam our fingers in our ears about it!

For how good Skullgirls is about teaching you how to play a fighting game, it'd really help if the attacks were labeled because I still fumble between high and medium punch/kick.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vic posted:

drat you kojima

Those were dumb then too. Your point?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen got rid of the cheesy/awful/amazing jpop on the menu screen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gitro posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen got rid of the cheesy/awful/amazing jpop on the menu screen :(

WHAT. I am no longer interested in this game :colbert:

THE WAVE IS PUSHING MEEEEEE, INTO THE CURRENT AGAIN, I FEEL THE BLOOD IN MY VEINSSSS

The biggest gripe I have about Bloodborne are the consumable items. I love the estus flask system, it told you "Look, here is all you get. You get to heal five times before you die in agony. Good loving luck. But you don't have to farm for them or look for more or any of that poo poo." So you're never spending any time looking for consumable items. Maybe arrows, but they're so cheap you can get hundreds at a time.

Then in Bloodborne it's like, great, I'm out of healing items. Time to waste time farming enemies to get more. Or spend all my echoes for maybe 30 of them that'll vanish real quick anyway.

It just kills the rhythm of the game - it was one of the worst parts of Demon's Souls, I have no idea why they brought the concept back.

I am the Dangaaaaaan~