Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I tried those things, but unfortunately when dealing with an SFP interface JunOS doesn't even acknowledge the interface exists unless there is an Optic in it. I'm wondering if there is a "pre-populate" configuration command or something that will let you apply configurations to a phantom interface.

If you set a description on the interface, it'll show in your 'sh int desc' and give you your admin down status even without a transceiver. At least it does on the MX series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
2960S or x are what I see a lot of, and meraki.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
2960S is going end of life, if that's something you need to have support for.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-733348.html

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I tried those things, but unfortunately when dealing with an SFP interface JunOS doesn't even acknowledge the interface exists unless there is an Optic in it. I'm wondering if there is a "pre-populate" configuration command or something that will let you apply configurations to a phantom interface.

There is no pre-populate command but you can configure the interface before you stick an optic in it and it will commit fine. use the below in > mode to see what optics are in what FPC.

code:
user@host> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
Chassis          REV 06                CY0109220035      EX8216
Midplane         REV 06   710-016845   BA0909120112      EX8216-MP
CB 0             REV 22   710-020771   AX0109197723      EX8216-RE320
CB 1             REV 22   710-020771   AX0109197726      EX8216-RE320
  Routing Engine 1        BUILTIN      BUILTIN           RE-EX8216
FPC 3            REV 19   710-020683   BC0109083125      EX8200-48F
  CPU            REV 13   710-020598   BF0109144549      EX8200-CPU
FPC 4            REV 17   710-020683   BC0108500127      EX8200-48F
  CPU            REV 10   710-020598   BF0108460510      EX8200-CPU
  PIC 0                   BUILTIN      BUILTIN           48x 100 Base-QFX/1000 Base-X
    Xcvr 1       REV 01   740-011613   PE70V89           SFP-SX
    Xcvr 11      REV 01   740-011613   PE70YCE           SFP-SX
    Xcvr 12      REV 01   740-011613   PE70VSH           SFP-SX
It's done like this afaik because depending on the PIC, it might accept 10G or 1G SFPs and the interfaces are named differently (ge-, xe-) depending what optic is plugged in.

Another nifty thing you can do if you're running a virtual chassis is you can completely configure a new switches' interfaces before you even add it to the "stack"

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2015

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I've got a bunch of IP cameras and access control card readers on the same VLAN and subnet as my VMs. I want to move them to their own VLAN and subnet. Easy enough.

But the consultant that set these things up did it by going to each port and applying their VLANs and QoS settings port by port. So changing them or adding new ones is going to new ports and copy/pasting settings.

Can't I just make like a 'profile' where I say "this is the profile for a camera, it sits on this VLAN x, trunks allowed are y, QoS settings are z, etc.' And then I just configure the port, drop the profile on it, and done?

Trying to google it and I'm getting results for either Nexus 1000v or vmware related.

Is this what I'm looking for, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Thanks Ants posted:

Why do you want layer 3 switches for running two VLANs across a couple of switches? It doesn't sound like there's much requiring routing between the voice and data VLAN so it's fine to let the ASA do that.

As for models, I see a lot of 2960-X being used.

So long as you get LAN Base software on a 2960-X, it will do static routing.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

itskage posted:

I've got a bunch of IP cameras and access control card readers on the same VLAN and subnet as my VMs. I want to move them to their own VLAN and subnet. Easy enough.

But the consultant that set these things up did it by going to each port and applying their VLANs and QoS settings port by port. So changing them or adding new ones is going to new ports and copy/pasting settings.

Can't I just make like a 'profile' where I say "this is the profile for a camera, it sits on this VLAN x, trunks allowed are y, QoS settings are z, etc.' And then I just configure the port, drop the profile on it, and done?

Trying to google it and I'm getting results for either Nexus 1000v or vmware related.

Is this what I'm looking for, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Catalyst switches have auto smartport macros, which can be triggered off CDP/LLDP messages or MAC addresses/OUIs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
XO Communications wants me to renew our 100mbit fiber contract with them, and I noticed they want to charge $177 a month to lease me a Cisco 2951 and manage it for me.

I asked them if I can supply my own Cisco 2951 and not have to pay that, and they said absolutely, but they will not provide the initial configuration on it.

1) Is it going to be particularly involved for me to configure a 2951? I'm assuming it is more complicated than providing my own Surfboard on a consumer cable modem connection.

2) Can I use something else, like maybe an HP equivalent? I'd rather not add Cisco equipment.

I mean, if it's as simple as these guys running an LC or SC fiber plug to me and I just plug it in and punch in the IP/Subnet/Gateway and give them the MAC address to provision then cool but I get the feeling there's gonna be some wackiness.

I should also mention that uptime is not an issue, I already have a high availability router bonding two other ISPs so out uptime is higher than we need... I just want to tack on more raw bandwidth, so I'm fine with freestyling this a bit.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's essentially an outside interface, an inside interface, and possibly some NAT overload statements if you don't have another device behind it doing NAT. <1 hour of work for someone who knows the CLI.

Any router that can handle the throughput should be fine -- could likely do it on a $100 mikrotik.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It could be as complicated as a public IP address in a /31 subnet and then another subnet of routable IP addresses to use on the inside interface to sit in front of your firewall, but it's probably 30 minutes work including flashing an IOS image if required.

Just make sure that whatever you buy can cope with 100Mbps throughput at Internet-typical packets (I think 512 bytes are used as an average to turn PPS into Mbps numbers). Normal suggestions if you want to take more of a hobbyist approach are Mikrotik as stated already, or an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. I would expect handoff on copper Ethernet from a piece of NTE equipment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If they want to install a transit router, they're definitely going to be slicing you an address block for the transit network between your firewall and their equipment.

But as has already been pointed out, this is just going to be a normal /31 on one interface and whatever block size they give you on the other, with static routing in between (since it sounds like your load balancing is taking place somewhere else).

If uptime and support don't matter, get a Ubiquiti edgerouter. It'll support 1Gbps at line rate.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
In the two instances where we are doing this, we actually terminate it directly into a layer two switch and dump the transit vlan into an instance of VyOS. Cost was only the optical transceiver.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

In the two instances where we are doing this, we actually terminate it directly into a layer two switch and dump the transit vlan into an instance of VyOS. Cost was only the optical transceiver.

Out of curiosity, are you running ipv6 dual stack on your vyos instances and/or are you trying to use ospfv3? Quagga's still saying support is "beta" status which gives me pause.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Out of curiosity, are you running ipv6 dual stack on your vyos instances and/or are you trying to use ospfv3? Quagga's still saying support is "beta" status which gives me pause.

No ipv6

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got an ASA at work that I've got set up behind a NAT. I've got a Fortigate at home that I have set up using a dynamic DNS name.

I'd like to configure the ASA to create an IPsec tunnel between itself and my home Fortigate, but the VPN wizard in ASDM doesn't allow a domain name for a peer identifier -- it needs an IP address. I don't want to have to re-build the config every time my IP changes at home.

I've had this set up before using two Fortigates since it supports a Dyndns type peer identifier off the bat. Obviously the device at work will have to initiate the connection as it is NATted, itself.

Thoughts?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Is there any way to use an asa in front of a vcs?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

I've got an ASA at work that I've got set up behind a NAT. I've got a Fortigate at home that I have set up using a dynamic DNS name.

I'd like to configure the ASA to create an IPsec tunnel between itself and my home Fortigate, but the VPN wizard in ASDM doesn't allow a domain name for a peer identifier -- it needs an IP address. I don't want to have to re-build the config every time my IP changes at home.

I've had this set up before using two Fortigates since it supports a Dyndns type peer identifier off the bat. Obviously the device at work will have to initiate the connection as it is NATted, itself.

Thoughts?

Can you set the far end IP to 0.0.0.0 and use something other than the IP address as the IKE ID?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
e; Nevermind, that doesn't actually work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Thoughts?

Dynamic VPN.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/118652-configure-asa-00.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disappointed that my google-fu let me down there. Thanks very much!

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you set the far end IP to 0.0.0.0 and use something other than the IP address as the IKE ID?

I kind of want to try this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bleh, so I'm sort of sorted on the dynamic VPN thing, but now I've got a separate problem.

All the docs for a dynip L2L VPN state that the side with the dynamic IP needs to be the one to establish the connection since the other side has a fixed IP. In my case the fixed IP is behind a NAT firewall so I'm kind of boned there. Problem here is that I can't forward IPsec ports on the outside firewall with the static IP that's fronting for my ASA.

So What I need is for a way to use a hostname as a remote peer on the NAT'd ASA since ultimately it WILL have to be the ASA that initiates the connection -- the far end (dyndns) router won't be able to initiate anything as its peer is behind NAT.

Not really seeing much in the way of a solution here so I might have to give up the ASA in this instance. Wonder if pfSense can do something like this. I know FortiOS can since I've had it set up exactly like this before but I'm not ready to shell out for a FortiOS VM :\

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Why can't the ports be forwarded to the ASA on the headend?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

Why can't the ports be forwarded to the ASA on the headend?

I have no administrative control over the ASA in question. I could probably work to have this done but to be honest I just need this temporarily so I'm not going to fret over it. I'm going to bring a spare Fortigate from home tomorrow as a workaround, I was just hoping to get this done with the resources I have at hand.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Hopefully I'm being Captain Obvious here but if I were your network admin, I'd be downright bullshit that you tried this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

Hopefully I'm being Captain Obvious here but if I were your network admin, I'd be downright bullshit that you tried this.

Haha yeah, no I would be too if this was unauth. I have all the right approvals and I'm just temporarily tapping into our guest DMZ on our end so no damage done. I can get the ports forwarded but our network guy is slammed and I can't get 15 minutes of his time for another two weeks according to his calendar so I'm just working around it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would running a virtual router on a cloud provider and pointing your work ASA and home Fortigate at that be an option?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Would running a virtual router on a cloud provider and pointing your work ASA and home Fortigate at that be an option?

That would probably be fine, though I just got home and prepped a spare Fortigate.

I guess ASAs don't really need that sort of flexibility as they're typically not deployed in environments where you'd need to connect to a dyndns peer. The Fortigates seem to be more of a SOHO thing so I'm a lot less surprised that they've taken that into account.

Not a big deal, but it would be nice if I could specify a peer by domain name rather than IP. I guess it would introduce an extra point of failure, though in my case it's either that or count the ASA out altogether. Shame.

I meant to see if this is something pfSense could do but honestly it was really quick to set up a spare FG so no big deal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm intrigued into what you're doing where you can set up an ASA to tunnel back out to your home with no issues from corporate, but running a VPN client on your PC and cracking open an RDP session isn't an option.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm intrigued into what you're doing where you can set up an ASA to tunnel back out to your home with no issues from corporate, but running a VPN client on your PC and cracking open an RDP session isn't an option.

I've got a lab on the DMZ here at work and I've got a lab at home. I'm going to vMotion some machines back and forth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"Hmm. I'm seeing a lot of encrypted traffic here to this one suspicious IP address."

access-list inside-out extended deny udp any any eq 4500

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I've gone through CAB so if it still gets shut down then I guess I'll just go do something else.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I've got a lab on the DMZ here at work and I've got a lab at home. I'm going to vMotion some machines back and forth.

rather intresting

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
There sure a lot of goons at NANOG. Some may even post on the forums. :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

FatCow posted:

Please don't post while drunk

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have been in a constant hungover-drunk cycle since Sunday.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

FatCow posted:

Did you go around asking everyone about stairs in their house?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm not sure if the op is still around but nearly every link on the first page is dead.

Didn't realize this thread is almost ten years old, it has to be one of the oldest active threads on the whole forums.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 8, 2015

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Re the negotiation thing, at least on the Cisco 3750/3560s I have been hosing around with recently, setting jumbo MTU is only applicable for gigabit ports, not 10/100. Some hardware may support jumbos on 100Mbit but this again would mean that if you have a pin open and a server link drops down to 100 from 1000, all those high byte size frames get dropped as errors.

Or, due to a mysterious lovely bug, you could have it just do that anyways on a gig link after it was taken down, because it just feels like doing that anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm trying to set up babby's first Cisco vPC between two Nexus 6k switches. I feel like I must be missing something completely retarded here. From each switch, I can ping the management interface of the other. But I can't get the vpc keepalive link to come up one end. Any idea what is up with this?

Switch A: management interface is 10.63.162.45/16
Switch B: management interface is 10.63.178.45/16

Switch A:
code:
# show run | sec vpc
feature vpc
vpc domain 2
  peer-keepalive destination 10.63.178.45

# show vpc brief

vPC domain id                     : 2
Peer status                       : peer link not configured
vPC keep-alive status             : peer is alive
Configuration consistency status  : failed
Per-vlan consistency status       : failed
Configuration inconsistency reason: vPC peer-link does not exist
Type-2 consistency status         : failed
Type-2 inconsistency reason       : vPC peer-link does not exist
vPC role                          : none established
Number of vPCs configured         : 0
Peer Gateway                      : Disabled
Dual-active excluded VLANs        : -
Graceful Consistency Check        : Disabled (due to peer configuration)
Auto-recovery status              : Disabled

# ping 10.63.178.45
PING 10.63.178.45 (10.63.178.45): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.63.178.45: icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=0.899 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.178.45: icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.771 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.178.45: icmp_seq=2 ttl=254 time=0.784 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.178.45: icmp_seq=3 ttl=254 time=0.794 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.178.45: icmp_seq=4 ttl=254 time=0.806 ms

--- 10.63.178.45 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.00% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.771/0.81/0.899 ms
Switch B:
code:
# show run | sec vpc
feature vpc
vpc domain 2
  peer-keepalive destination 10.63.162.45

# show vpc brief
vPC domain id                     : 2
Peer status                       : peer link not configured
vPC keep-alive status             : Suspended (Destination IP not reachable)
Configuration consistency status  : failed
Per-vlan consistency status       : failed
Configuration inconsistency reason: vPC peer-link does not exist
Type-2 consistency status         : failed
Type-2 inconsistency reason       : vPC peer-link does not exist
vPC role                          : none established
Number of vPCs configured         : 0
Peer Gateway                      : Disabled
Dual-active excluded VLANs        : -
Graceful Consistency Check        : Disabled (due to peer configuration)
Auto-recovery status              : Disabled

# ping 10.63.162.45
PING 10.63.162.45 (10.63.162.45): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.63.162.45: icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=0.922 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.162.45: icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.696 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.162.45: icmp_seq=2 ttl=254 time=0.923 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.162.45: icmp_seq=3 ttl=254 time=0.71 ms
64 bytes from 10.63.162.45: icmp_seq=4 ttl=254 time=0.741 ms

--- 10.63.162.45 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.00% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.696/0.798/0.923 ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Try this:

quote:

vpc domain 2
peer-keepalive destination 10.63.162.45 source 10.63.178.45

I have "source" specified on my boxes, might be important. I also have "role priority 1" and also 2 specified in there, not sure if required.